• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

MickD

BPJIsPkDzy9

Hello everyone happy New Year!!! Its been a long time since I have posted in the photography thread. Last time I posted I had a Nikon D3000 like 5 years ago and in late 2015 I bouth a Sony Nex-5R because of its portability, it took me somewhile to get used to it but now I'm in love with it and saving some money to buy me a new Sony A6000. Late last year I bought a Sigma 30mm F2.8 because I was going to travel for christmas and I wanted to show you guys the photos I took to see if you can give some advice to improve my shooting.

Here it goes,

Got my Nikon 50mm 1.4 back from an awesome guy who's not scared to work on any kind of lenses(he was in the middle of cleaning a 24-70 L, that was also in 2 pieces btw, when I walked in today, with the Falcons and Seahawks game on his TV lol). One of the shops I talked to flat out refused to work on it coz it's too old, and another one was charging around $200 to fix it also due to it's age. The guy I went to charged me the same amount as I paid for the lens so I essentially spent the average amount on eBay for this lens at the end of the day lol.

But anyway, here's a couple of shots that I can finally do, when before it got fixed, I couldn't even get it to focus this much.

This one is at f/1.4

This one is at f/2

I'm seriously in love with this lens lol.

Vuze

New game!
Lovely arrangement!

---

Do any of you do sports/action photography regularly?
I've been asked to shoot some horse jumping today by family and I kinda screwed up lol :( It's no biggie since they just wanted some nice pics and they still liked a few of the shots even though I'm pretty unhappy with them overall. But I'd like to be better next time.

Mainly screwed up shutter speed and focus... Wanted to completly freeze the motion during the jump but ended up with some motion left. How do I ballpark the proper speed? Or is it just learning by doing? 1/400 left some motion but I switched to 1/500 for the last and those worked out okay. I should really spend more time examining the first shots in detail on the camera...
Also I didn't think about manual focus (points) and so I ended up having the jumping framework in focus most of the time. I guess focusing on a person before the jumping and manually locking the cofus would have worked in my situation (stationary shooting point).

Anyway, two shots I was sort of okay with...

IMG_0817 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr
IMG_0820 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr

Chairhome

Been a while since I posted in one of these threads. you guys do awesome work.
Went through a few pics from my Spain trip a few months ago. So beautiful. I need to travel more.
Note: Geez, imgur compression is bad.
Rota (where I was staying)
9AP5eNel.jpg

Seville
oGIcVKvl.jpg

fPz9MgWl.jpg

KF1PTu8l.jpg

Cadiz
l2KouL1l.jpg

8eOBCWul.jpg

OwvQsPtl.jpg

Jerez
z0J0Of3l.jpg

29hd7Rfl.jpg

First time having Wild Boar in Jerez
xZjFJ77l.jpg

Lovely arrangement!

---

Do any of you do sports/action photography regularly?
I've been asked to shoot some horse jumping today by family and I kinda screwed up lol :( It's no biggie since they just wanted some nice pics and they still liked a few of the shots even though I'm pretty unhappy with them overall. But I'd like to be better next time.

Mainly screwed up shutter speed and focus... Wanted to completly freeze the motion during the jump but ended up with some motion left. How do I ballpark the proper speed? Or is it just learning by doing? 1/400 left some motion but I switched to 1/500 for the last and those worked out okay. I should really spend more time examining the first shots in detail on the camera...
Also I didn't think about manual focus (points) and so I ended up having the jumping framework in focus most of the time. I guess focusing on a person before the jumping and manually locking the cofus would have worked in my situation (stationary shooting point).

Anyway, two shots I was sort of okay with...

IMG_0817 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr
IMG_0820 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr
I think you have the shutter speed too low in both pictures since they're still pretty soft focused on the horse. Either that or with the horse pic you have some shutter shake in there. Also that T6 isn't looking too hot at 1600 iso in some of the other pictures you have up.

Vuze

I think you have the shutter speed too low in both pictures since they're still pretty soft focused on the horse. Either that or with the horse pic you have some shutter shake in there. Also that T6 isn't looking too hot at 1600 iso in some of the other pictures you have up.
Yeah it's really not too pleasant at 1600. Knew that before buying it though. I still think it's a decent camera to learn with that has access to some good entry level lenses. Can always upgrade if I decide to stick with photography as a hobby and want something more capable :)
Thanks for the input.

Ōkami

These were taken from the Basilica church in Quito using telephoto lens, the weather was horrible so no pictures of the actual church could be taken.

16143735_10211705432897994_8735399349185111500_o.jpg

16179778_10211705437498109_356906668601207880_o.jpg

16179550_10211705438618137_6863493132495934158_o.jpg

16179207_10211705439418157_8046480428752427050_o.jpg

16178554_10211705419777666_238019772291219488_o.jpg

16112693_10211705426097824_6142031342567904197_o.jpg

16112635_10211705440058173_4980200675322348995_o.jpg

16177717_10211705440698189_2342466525354383638_o.jpg

16179035_10211705423657763_7639534590841996294_o.jpg

16177689_10211705428697889_3773089350885063193_o.jpg

Yeah it's really not too pleasant at 1600. Knew that before buying it though. I still think it's a decent camera to learn with that has access to some good entry level lenses. Can always upgrade if I decide to stick with photography as a hobby and want something more capable :)
Thanks for the input.
Yeah you don't shoot indoor events so high iso isn't a priority.

Went out today with only my Nikon 50mm f/1.4 for an impromptu shoot (I was there for shopping haha).

Here's some extra shots that I liked:

Now here's the good stuff:

And my personal fave out of all:

Futureman

Been saving for months and months to get this kit, and finally bought myself an A7rii, 90mm Macro and 16-35 Zeiss Wide angle :)

It's awesome finally getting that new gear you've had your eye on and then getting out there. Cool photos.

do you have any other lenses? Maybe look at 50mm lens next.

It's awesome finally getting that new gear you've had your eye on and then getting out there. Cool photos.

do you have any other lenses? Maybe look at 50mm lens next.

Yeah I've got a few 50mm primes, a short telephoto and a couple of other vintage bits. Next on my list is the Canon 100-400L for wildlife and landscapes, can't wait to spend more money haha

I gotta post here and there.

Not sure if these are any good, but I like em. Yall probably don't care about random fallen trees and shit though >_>

Camera Woman by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
But Fuck the Tree by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170124-20170124-DSC07680.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
No Bikes by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
So like...the macro dude didn't take any pics of the mushrooms on the trees? Saw some of the other ones you didn't post and liked those better.

So like...the macro dude didn't take any pics of the mushrooms on the trees? Saw some of the other ones you didn't post and liked those better.

Ha, I figured I'd post the things I thought you guys would be more interested in seeing.

I didn't really have my stuff for good macro, it was kind of a spur of the moment sort of thing. Didn't have my tripod or my flash bracket, so I was kind of limited in what I could do handheld. (All that stuff is packed for an incoming move)

Though I might change that soon. >_>*

Here's what I didn't post for those curious now:

20170124-20170124-DSC03272.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170124-20170124-DSC03262.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170124-20170124-DSC03261.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Mushroom Apts by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Stairway to Heaven - by The Ants by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that gorillapod is absolutely perfect for doing those sorts of shots, so I might start taking that with me.

Ha, I figured I'd post the things I thought you guys would be more interested in seeing.

I didn't really have my stuff for good macro, it was kind of a spur of the moment sort of thing. Didn't have my tripod or my flash bracket, so I was kind of limited in what I could do handheld. (All that stuff is packed for an incoming move)

Though I might change that soon. >_>*

Here's what I didn't post for those curious now:

20170124-20170124-DSC03272.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170124-20170124-DSC03262.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170124-20170124-DSC03261.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Stairway to Heaven - by The Ants by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that gorillapod is absolutely perfect for doing those sorts of shots, so I might start taking that with me.
I don't think people want to see sign pictures, unless it's taken at an interesting angle. People don't seem to care about what I post either.

I took these at an outdoor concert last year, and I'm not too crazy about them. I would love to hear some tips from you all about taking shots during inconsistent lightning and low light/fast moving objects.
Hey fellow Deftones fan. Low light is tricky cause the only ways around that are getting a larger aperture lens usually something like a 2.8 or 1.8 prime or getting a camera that actually doesn't turn your picture into soup at high iso's. What where you shooting on and what was attached to it?

Hope these are OK to share in here. I've been shooting for the last couple of years casually, but last year I decided to make an effort to up my game a bit and purchased a D7100 and a 70-300 (my main interest is aviation photography, and this seemed like a reasonable entry point, though the 70-300 doesn't quite have the reach I need). I've been trying to push myself to get better composition and processing on my aviation photos, and in the other subjects I shoot, and I thought I'd share a few for the New Year.

First up, I spent last weekend at a local 24hr mountain bike endurance race. Lots of trekking around a 7 mile course trying to grab interesting action shots in variable light, and trying to find some appealing detail/atmosphere shots too. Challenging shooting - fast riders, unpredictable action and light that changed from misty low light in the forest to blinding bright sun at the summit.

DSC_1124 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_9765 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_0447 by Cosmonaut X, on FlickrDSC_9853 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Dabbling in landscape and trying out stacked exposures for the first time with this shot of a local sculpture, the Mermaid of the North.

Merged 1 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Some aviation shots. The first was a challenging one - down the runway into the sun, fast-moving subject (even landing, the Tornado doesn't hang around!) and trying to compose something reasonable while getting exposure etc. right. The F-16 in the following shot was at around the limit of the 70-300 and isn't quite as tight as I'd like, but he took off like a rocket and banked hard overhead and the chance of grabbing this unusual angle was too good to miss.

The following two aren't technically that great, but it was my first time night-shooting at a Tornado launch and I quite like the look of these, as they capture something of the noise and light, even if they're lacking in other areas.

The last three are a shot from a local aviation museum - I liked the idea of the disused aircraft looking up into a blue sky which it would never fly in again - a shot of a display Typhoon pulling G on a miserable Scottish day and a night-time apron shot of one of the Blades display aircraft.

DSC_7300 by Cosmonaut X, on FlickrDSC_5075 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4780 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_4783 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

The long, delirious burning blue... by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_1461 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr Extra 300LP by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Final shot is from a local monument at sunset. Not as happy with this as others, but I loved the skies - we've had few as nice this winter in the Highlands!

DSC_7695 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Hope they're of some interest!

I don't think people want to see sign pictures, unless it's taken at an interesting angle. People don't seem to care about what I post either.

On the contrary, I enjoy most of your shots. I don't comment a ton as I'm not qualified to offer any critiques. I do enjoy the stuff you post though. As with pretty much everyone else. It'd probably be boring if I just kept responding with "great shots".

Hey fellow Deftones fan. Low light is tricky cause the only ways around that are getting a larger aperture lens usually something like a 2.8 or 1.8 prime or getting a camera that actually doesn't turn your picture into soup at high iso's. What where you shooting on and what was attached to it?

It was a Nikon D3200 and it was the standard 18-55mm lens that it comes with. I don't remember my exact settings at the time. This was a concert last summer, and I wanted to start practicing for this year.

On the contrary, I enjoy most of your shots. I don't comment a ton as I'm not qualified to offer any critiques. I do enjoy the stuff you post though. As with pretty much everyone else. It'd probably be boring if I just kept responding with "great shots".
Wait, that's why my stuff gets no responses?!! I always just thought it just meant people ignored what I put up.
It was a Nikon D3200 and it was the standard 18-55mm lens that it comes with. I don't remember my exact settings at the time. This was a concert last summer, and I wanted to start practicing for this year.
I pretty much consider that kit lens to be a bright day lens, it's not my cup of tea personally, but would definitely not use it for low light. Nikon sells a relatively cheap 1.8 35mm for DX that I've heard nothing but good things about, so that's a good starter lens for low light photography, really depends on your budget. There are some affordable Tamron and Sigma 2.8 17-50's as well.
Hope these are OK to share in here. I've been shooting for the last couple of years casually, but last year I decided to make an effort to up my game a bit and purchased a D7100 and a 70-300 (my main interest is aviation photography, and this seemed like a reasonable entry point, though the 70-300 doesn't quite have the reach I need). I've been trying to push myself to get better composition and processing on my aviation photos, and in the other subjects I shoot, and I thought I'd share a few for the New Year.

First up, I spent last weekend at a local 24hr mountain bike endurance race. Lots of trekking around a 7 mile course trying to grab interesting action shots in variable light, and trying to find some appealing detail/atmosphere shots too. Challenging shooting - fast riders, unpredictable action and light that changed from misty low light in the forest to blinding bright sun at the summit.

DSC_1124 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_9765 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_0447 by Cosmonaut X, on FlickrDSC_9853 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Dabbling in landscape and trying out stacked exposures for the first time with this shot of a local sculpture, the Mermaid of the North.

Merged 1 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Some aviation shots. The first was a challenging one - down the runway into the sun, fast-moving subject (even landing, the Tornado doesn't hang around!) and trying to compose something reasonable while getting exposure etc. right. The F-16 in the following shot was at around the limit of the 70-300 and isn't quite as tight as I'd like, but he took off like a rocket and banked hard overhead and the chance of grabbing this unusual angle was too good to miss.

The following two aren't technically that great, but it was my first time night-shooting at a Tornado launch and I quite like the look of these, as they capture something of the noise and light, even if they're lacking in other areas.

The last three are a shot from a local aviation museum - I liked the idea of the disused aircraft looking up into a blue sky which it would never fly in again - a shot of a display Typhoon pulling G on a miserable Scottish day and a night-time apron shot of one of the Blades display aircraft.

DSC_7300 by Cosmonaut X, on FlickrDSC_5075 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4780 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_4783 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

The long, delirious burning blue... by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr DSC_1461 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr Extra 300LP by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Final shot is from a local monument at sunset. Not as happy with this as others, but I loved the skies - we've had few as nice this winter in the Highlands!

DSC_7695 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Hope they're of some interest!
There's some very good stuff in here shared and unshared.

I pretty much consider that kit lens to be a bright day lens, it's not my cup of tea personally, but would definitely not use it for low light. Nikon sells a relatively cheap 1.8 35mm for DX that I've heard nothing but good things about, so that's a good starter lens for low light photography, really depends on your budget. There are some affordable Tamron and Sigma 2.8 17-50's as well.

Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it.

Edit: Here's a bonus shot
31733791613_0a65ffbe33_k.jpg

There's some very good stuff in here shared and unshared.

Thanks! I'm conscious it's kinda plane-heavy, so I'm trying to branch out and push myself to try different events and types of photography. Off to a sled-dog rally tomorrow - it'll cover some of the same techniques as the mountain bike race but shooting packs of Huskies in action should be fun :)

Can only speak for myself of course. Do these people know you are taking pictures of them? If not, how many awkward moments have you had?
Most don't, some see me and usually don't care. Others do and smile, sometimes they come over and ask to see the picture, I've emailed a couple to people. Other times they make an awkward face at me or bolt out of the frame, which is annoying though luckily there are times where I can at least get a good shot right before they leave. I think I get some weird aggressive reaction about once every 8 months or something like that, never physical at least.

brerwolfe

There was a sign on this little hidden beach I found on Maui that said very plainly "No Fucking". I left all my gear in the car so I didn't get a photo of it. Next year, I guess.

Top Bottom