• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's something everyone seems to experience but you?

zeemumu

e35511bb02dac7132a0e91fad714cce2.jpg

People on gap years. On my last trip, I met some people from Belgium, Germany and Sweden who had all either graduated from high school or university and were taking these huge trips to multiple countries, partying and meeting different people and seeing the sights. All I could do was fake a smile as I turned into the personification of Envy (they were all wonderful people).

Depression, Pessimism.

For whatever reason, I don't really go through any of that and always see the humor or positives no matter how shitty a situation or experience was. It's why I tend to not hang out or become friends with people who are constantly throwing a pity party for themselves and always see things as glass half empty.

AdanVC

Going to the beach. The only time I went was when I had 2 years old and I haver never go back since then. I prefer to go to the mountains or forests... quiet places like those. I dislike the crowds of people at the beach with kids running, screaming and crying all over near you when you're taking the sun and all that mess. That's not relaxing at all!

This...

Knowing what the hell you want to do with your life.

And this too........

Independence.

I've always lived with either family or the guy I was with at the time. Never once been out on my own or know how that feels (having to have a job to support myself and pay the bills).

It's a good problem to have, but I worry as my husband and I get older that I'll have to face it later in life and I'd better be prepared.

egruntz

shelaughz
Came in to say brain freezes, I've never gotten one no matter how hard I've tried.

My man! :D

Don't even get me started

Please get started.

The need to be with someone all the time/to find a partner. I'm happy on my own, and the times I've been in a relationship I've been miserable.

I was fine on my own too. Then I found "the one." Now I cannot bare vacations away from them for too long. That dynamic just changes when you find the right mate.

Depression, Pessimism.

For whatever reason, I don't really go through any of that and always see the humor or positives no matter how shitty a situation or experience was. It's why I tend to not hang out or become friends with people who are constantly throwing a pity party for themselves and always see things as glass half empty.

Ironically it sounds like you're the exact kind of person these people might need more of in their lives, and you're avoiding them. :p

Headaches

I envy you.

Independence.

I've always lived with either family or the guy I was with at the time. Never once been out on my own or know how that feels (having to have a job to support myself and pay the bills).

It's a good problem to have, but I worry as my husband and I get older that I'll have to face it later in life and I'd better be prepared.

I'd say get started on stuff like this now. If your family pays for phone bills, car insurance, etc. cut those strings so they can't be used to pull you in later. Know 100% what your bills are and financial obligations so you can budget properly. There will come a time when you need to be fully independent, and it's a bit of a shock if you haven't had that experience whatsoever up until then. Good for you to get planted, even if only in practice.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Making my day a bit better. ^_^

I'll pray for you, it took me some time before I saw the light. And it is Glorious.

I dunno, flirting I guess? Either I'm awful at reading signals, or more likely I don't give off the right aura to receive it, and the confidence to get things started. Been a good long while since I felt someone was interested.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think having a normal life timeline in general. I left home when I was 15, missing regular high school. Finished up high school through correspondence but didn't start college until I was older than everyone after working crap jobs for the better part of a decade.

Sometimes I encounter people who have strong ideas about what you're "supposed to do", finish high school at 18, go to college (or have a gap year. Gap year? I had a gap decade!). None of that is even on my planet.

I think you need domineering parents to expect this so matter of factly, but due to the fact that I'm in Vancouver, all my peers are immigrants and they do have parents planning their life for them. I feel like some kind of lone wolf out in the wilderness compared to their prescribed lives.

Meliora

I was fine on my own too. Then I found "the one." Now I cannot bare vacations away from them for too long. That dynamic just changes when you find the right mate.

Sure, and I can understand that, but I just don't have the need to search for a person like that by dating and meeting new people. I'm fine on my own and if I somehow stumble upon that one good match for me, then sure! I just don't have the drive to constantly search of a partner if that makes sense.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
E.T.

Never watched it, never will.

I've tried to watch it a couple times. Super fucking boring, I never make it more than a 10-15 minutes in. Don't bother.

brawly

Dating

I'm not inexperienced sexually but never dated anyone, never brought someone home, never even asked someone out.

Low self-esteem coupled with loving that hermit life, I guess.

Poppy

i think i am incapable of feeling romance, all i feel is a longing to fill an empty space with someone who i think is cool

anytime a movie or any kind of narrative deals in romance i am completely incapable of feeling anything but a mild discomfort or boredom, which is a little upsetting i guess

i dunno, i think i am just wired in a selfish way that doesnt allow me to contemplate any great joy from putting effort into relationships. i only do nice things for people i like when i happen to see a good opportunity to do so

also i dont like sex
i mean its....okay, like 25% of the time. i dunno. i am not asexual but i dont really like it generally. probably because to me it carries the possibility of disappointment

egruntz

shelaughz
Sure, and I can understand that, but I just don't have the need to search for a person like that by dating and meeting new people. I'm fine on my own and if I somehow stumble upon that one good match for me, then sure! I just don't have the drive to constantly search of a partner if that makes sense.

In that case you and I are the same. :) That's how I was prior. And it worked out just fine.

____

i think i am incapable of feeling romance, all i feel is a longing to fill an empty space with someone who i think is cool

anytime a movie or any kind of narrative deals in romance i am completely incapable of feeling anything but a mild discomfort or boredom, which is a little upsetting i guess

i dunno, i think i am just wired in a selfish way that doesnt allow me to contemplate any great joy from putting effort into relationships. i only do nice things for people i like when i happen to see a good opportunity to do so

also i dont like sex
i mean its....okay, like 25% of the time. i dunno. i am not asexual but i dont really like it generally. probably because to me it carries the possibility of disappointment

I hate that you're me.

Not everyone but I don't really care for animals at all.

Like I think they're fascinating from a scientific perspective but I have zero desire to interact with them and feel nothing if they die except for the possible effect on humans.

Top Bottom