• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Growlie19

You can catch Vulpix (Growlithe in HG) pretty early on... and Magmar not too long after. Trying to recall if there are any other fire Pokemon pre-E4. I know Houndour's not until Kanto.

...But Vulpix/Growlithe and Magmar makes HGSS pretty abundant with fire-types compared to most games.

There's also the Slugma egg from Primo in Violet City, and you can get the Fire Stone for Flareon as soon as you unlock the Pokéathlon. And finally, Ponyta can be caught just before Victory Road.

This link will take you to the code generator for the Slugma, among other minor rewards. Just put in your in-game Trainer ID, the game you're playing, and the game's language, and you're good to go. So including Cyndaquil, there are six fire-types in the Johto remakes pre-E4. Not bad.

There's also the Slugma egg from Primo in Violet City, and you can get the Fire Stone for Flareon as soon as you unlock the Pokéathlon. And finally, Ponyta can be caught just before Victory Road.

This link will take you to the code generator for the Slugma, among other minor rewards. Just put in your in-game Trainer ID, the game you're playing, and the game's language, and you're good to go. So including Cyndaquil, there are six fire-types in the Johto remakes pre-E4. Not bad.
Really is unfortunate that HGSS is the only game with an early Slugma. It fits really well in that Mankey / Drowzee / Makuhita tier that's better than the early bugs but gets outclassed by the end of the game. When it's showing up after the 4th gym (or the 11th) it's just not worth it, especially when better fire types have come before it.

brinstar

I never knew this was a thing. Earlygame is a much better place for Slugma than where they put it in the original game lol

I kind of forgot the Worlds was this week lol.

I haven't really kept up with the VGC scene in ages but I'll probably watch the finals here since it's the first Worlds using Gen 7.

On another note, the 2018 circuit is still going to use Sun/Moon for some reason instead of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

I kind of forgot the Worlds was this week lol.

I haven't really kept up with the VGC scene in ages but I'll probably watch the finals here since it's the first Worlds using Gen 7.

On another note, the 2018 circuit is still going to use Sun/Moon for some reason instead of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

That's normal though, last year we used VGC 16 rules until December 1st

This year VGC 17 has been cool though, there are like at least 50 really used Pokemon, and many more in niche teams. This year's Worlds will be really good.

^^^^ I'm wondering what it's base stats looks like. If it's some insane boost like Ash-Greninja and with Tough Claws I'll understand why it's only a event. If not then yeah... stupid...

This Froakie shiny egg is taking longer then I expected. I'm over 600 in and still nothing. I also hate that this Shiny is only slightly lighter color then the regular Froakie. Every time I hatch a egg I compare it to what I see on Serebii. What's worse is the they all look shiny to me. If I decide to breed another shiny after this it'll be for a Pokémon that's has a easy to tell it's a shiny form compared to the regular. Hope I hatch it soon, I'm running out of boxes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This Froakie shiny egg is taking longer then I expected. I'm over 600 in and still nothing. I also hate that this Shiny is only slightly lighter color then the regular Froakie. Every time I hatch a egg I compare it to what I see on Serebii. What's worse is the they all look shiny to me. If I decide to breed another shiny after this it'll be for a Pokémon that's has a easy to tell it's a shiny form compared to the regular. Hope I hatch it soon, I'm running out of boxes.

Just check the Froakie stats page, if its a shiny then it will have a red star, next to the blue hexagon.

shiny.jpg

Is it normal to have beaten 7 gyms in HGSS and still have the 2nd evolution for your starter? I still have a Quilava at 31 and am doing the Radio Station. I feel like I've gone after as many trainers as I could've

Is it normal to have beaten 7 gyms in HGSS and still have the 2nd evolution for your starter? I still have a Quilava at 31 and am doing the Radio Station. I feel like I've gone after as many trainers as I could've
It's definitely possible. G/S were designed to be played slowly and for you to meander a bunch so you would fight wild Pokemon and find a few areas with trainers that were previously hidden while also taking long enough to experience the weekly events. They never really streamlined it for HG/SS so there's this battle between the fast, linear direction the series was heading in and the slow, open direction the originals went in.

...plus Gen 4's animations are super slow and they boosted the wild encounters when you're running so you tend to avoid exploration in caves like you're supposed to because it takes 3 years to get through them.

Just making sure it wasn't me. I'm not having any issues really as I take down most gyms with ease even with the level difference. I just don't want another E4 situation like I had in Platinum

Growlie19

To add on to what Dark Orchid said, Cyndaquil fully evolves at level 36. At the point in the game you're at, the strongest trainer you've faced is Jasmine, with her level 35 Steelix. Totodile and Chikorita evolve much earlier comparatively.

If you feel the need to grind, the route just below the Safari Zone is great for that part of the game. The Tauros there give 623 XP each, and they're relatively common. Alternatively, you can Surf along the coast of Cianwood City and battle Tentacruel for good XP for your Electric/Psychic types.

Just check the Froakie stats page, if its a shiny then it will have a red star, next to the blue hexagon.

shiny.jpg

Thanks for this tip Joker.

818 eggs with the Shiny being 819. I have a question for those who shiny hunt or shiny hatch.

My Shiny Froakie didn't hatch with its HA and from what I understand Ability Capsules does not switch it's ability to its HA even if it's parents has the HA.

Now that I have my Shiny how does that effect my chances of hatching another Shiny moving foward if I just continue? Does the counter reset or becomes longer?

GoldStarz

818 eggs with the Shiny being 819. I have a question for those who shiny hunt or shiny hatch.

My Shiny Froakie didn't hatch with its HA and from what I understand Ability Capsules does not switch it's ability to its HA even if it's parents has the HA.

Now that I have my Shiny how does that effect my chances of hatching another Shiny moving foward if I just continue? Does the counter reset or becomes longer?

Not a shiny hunter, but I'm pretty sure that breeding shinies doesn't affect the chance of getting shinies.

Yeah, especially if you're using a full/near-full team, GSC level curve will cause you to become underlevelled in the later half of the game.

After Morty, the next three gyms can be done in any order even though there is an intended order of Chuck -> Jasmine -> Pryce. So most of the trainer Pokemon until badge seven have similar levels. Then there's the regular weak wild Pokemon on top of that.

Robin64

Guys, holy crap, the gyms in White 2 so far have been so interesting compared to previous games.

The first one was a courtyard out the back of a school, which I thought was quite neat.

But then the second was an underground rock club, complete with a dingy alleyway entrance and having to go down grubby steps. So cool!

Please tell me they are all this inventive.

Guys, holy crap, the gyms in White 2 so far have been so interesting compared to previous games.

The first one was a courtyard out the back of a school, which I thought was quite neat.

But then the second was an underground rock club, complete with a dingy alleyway entrance and having to go down grubby steps. So cool!

Pretty much so. Im hoping USUM is as good as B2W2. It was still Unova but damn did it feel brand new.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played Pokémon Diamond last night and what feels like 300 years I have finally trained my Pokémon team to level 60, now I am ready to take on the Elite 4.

Though I should have fought my rival before training as I just overpowered him.

Every generation I trade in a Charmander egg and he normally evolves into Charizard either before or after the 6th gym, except for gen 2 where he won't evolve till after the 8th gym badge.

The level curve in Johto is so bad if you're using a full team, so you will have to do some grinding if you feel that your team is lagging behind.

Yes, the gyms in Black and White 2 are one of the most interesting gym puzzles along with each gyms having their own gym theme.

I was expecting that to carry over to X and Y but sadly it wasn't be.

Has yesterday's Game Informer video been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8V_eQ6wGQ

At one point Masuda says this:

"A lot of the Pokemon for Red and Green were directly done in the pixel art. So there wasn't even a concept illustration beforehand. And, as a result of that, the Pokemon were very unique in Red and Green because they had to work in the pixel art first."

tauroxd

Has yesterday's Game Informer video been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8V_eQ6wGQ

At one point Masuda says this:

"A lot of the Pokemon for Red and Green were directly done in the pixel art. So there wasn't even a concept illustration beforehand. And, as a result of that, the Pokemon were very unique in Red and Green because they had to work in the pixel art first."

I like his take on music and sound.

Is there a thread on this on gaming? I think this is thread worthy.

EDIT: I posted it

turbocat

I am a shiny hunter, and having hatched your shiny, your odds will not change with subsequent continued breeding. The only ways to manipulate shiny odds with breeding are through Masuda method (one parent is from a foreign region than that of the game, the other parent is from ANY other region) and/or getting the shiny charm. The two stack, so it's worth doing both if you're serious about hatching shiny Pokemon.

Robin64

Guys help

This is my first ever wild shiny EVER, after playing over a thousand hours throughout the whole series, so I can't lose this.

The Pignite is AI controlled. I can't throw a ball til the Ratatta is dead. But I don't want to risk the Pignite killing the Zubat. What should I do?!

SuperOrez

Guys help

This is my first ever wild shiny EVER, after playing over a thousand hours throughout the whole series, so I can't lose this.

The Pignite is AI controlled. I can't throw a ball til the Ratatta is dead. But I don't want to risk the Pignite killing the Zubat. What should I do?!

Kill the pignite first I think you can target your ally.

Atheerios

Gameinformer just revealed in their Reddit AMA that they will reveal a new USUM feature tomorrow.

Also USUM will have a new director that isn't Ohmori or Masuda.

Robin64

YES.

Was hairy there, though.

Turn 1, I attacked the Ratatta, and Pignite attacked the Zubat bring it to about 10% health.
Turn 2, I attacked Pignite, and Pignite attached the Ratatta, finishing it off. SO LUCKY on that one.
Then boom, Great Ball.

I am a shiny hunter, and having hatched your shiny, your odds will not change with subsequent continued breeding. The only ways to manipulate shiny odds with breeding are through Masuda method (one parent is from a foreign region than that of the game, the other parent is from ANY other region) and/or getting the shiny charm. The two stack, so it's worth doing both if you're serious about hatching shiny Pokemon.

Yeah I've been using Masuda Method with the Shiny charm. Hell it's because I read that it stacks is the reason I started breeding for a couple of Shinies. I just hate the fact that I can't use a ability capsule on this Shiny Froakie to get his HA when his father has the HA.

Thanks for the heads up. It won't be so bad if I can breed another shiny within 819 eggs like my first one. Though not ideal.

brinstar

YES.

Was hairy there, though.

Turn 1, I attacked the Ratatta, and Pignite attacked the Zubat bring it to about 10% health.
Turn 2, I attacked Pignite, and Pignite attached the Ratatta, finishing it off. SO LUCKY on that one.
Then boom, Great Ball.

phew, congrats dude! I got scared when I saw your post

SuperOrez

YES.

Was hairy there, though.

Then boom, Great Ball.

Congrats man.

Top Bottom