• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
black_13 said:
True but the comics and movies are doing their own thing, don't see how that would be a problem. Its certainly better than anything else I've heard suggested so far.

1. Rise has just been used so many times in titles.

2. well from the ending of The Dark Knight, I'm guessing Batman goes in hiding/or leaves gothem for a while since he takes the blame, crime levels goes up, and he returns. That makes sense to me. I doubt they will pick up the story right where TDK left it. If you wanna get literal, where is Batman gonna exactly rise from?

The ending of TDK makes it clear he's not going to go into hiding, on the contrary he's now more exposed than ever before. He'll still do his job, but with everyone on the hunt for him.

We'll see what the context of the movie is, but there are many possibilities to the meaning of the title. Returns is just not applicable.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Well, if you like cliche characters and predictable plot patterns, he has a GREAT sense of storytelling, but otherwise, his storytelling sense is simply not on a par with any of the great film artists of history, not even in the same galaxy.

Oh man. Get your head out your asshole if you can manage. Snowman, I've often trawled past your elitist musings and exercises in film sophistry and thought not to encourage you in your plight to bemuse others' love of film with your world-encompassing critical analyses by retorting. But jesus christ buddy, do you ever read what you've written and actually believe it?

Dead said:
The return of Gotham is something I want as well. The city had no personality in TDK.

Yeah Gotham in TDK was really uninspired. Imagine if The Dark Knight had the same Gotham City as in Batman Begins, with Katie Holmes as Rachel. What could have been.

Scullibundo said:
Oh man. Get your head out your asshole if you can manage. Snowman, I've often trawled past your elitist musings and exercises in film sophistry and thought not to encourage you in your plight to bemuse others' love of film with your world-encompassing critical analyses by retorting. But jesus christ buddy, do you ever read what you've written and actually believe it?

Are you hoping he won't be able to get past this sentence?

Blader

black_13 said:
2. well from the ending of The Dark Knight, I'm guessing Batman goes in hiding/or leaves gothem for a while since he takes the blame, crime levels goes up, and he returns. That makes sense to me. I doubt they will pick up the story right where TDK left it. If you wanna get literal, where is Batman gonna exactly rise from?

He's not going into hiding, the whole point to TDK's ending is for Batman to become a pariah for Gotham.

As for what he's rising from, again, TDK's ending makes this pretty clear: his reputation has been tarnished for taking the fall for Dent, he has to redeem himself now in the eyes of the city and restore his image as a hero.

vicissitudes said:
Yeah Gotham in TDK was really uninspired. Imagine if The Dark Knight had the same Gotham City as in Batman Begins, with Katie Holmes as Rachel. What could have been.

Katie Holmes and a browner looking Gotham?

vicissitudes said:

Imagine how great BB would have been if Maggie had been Rachel from the start. A female lead with actual acting! How great it could have been.

StuBurns

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Imagine how great BB would have been if Maggie had been Rachel from the start. A female lead with actual acting! How great it could have been.
Holmes' performance was better than Maggie's.

That double slap, pitch perfect.

vicissitudes said:

The "Gotham" of most of BB is just the Narrows and it felt like a set. At the end, Gordon says "The Narrows is lost" which I think pretty explicitly signals they're done with that side of Gotham.

I simply don't agree with anyone who says TDK's use of Chicago was uninspired.

StuBurns said:
Holmes' performance was better than Maggie's.

That double slap, pitch perfect.

This guy knows what's up.

She actually seemed like Bruce's childhood friend and someone he cared about in Begins. In TDK she's...just some girl Bruce wants to get with.

faceless007 said:
The "Gotham" of most of BB is just the Narrows and it felt like a set. At the end, Gordon says "The Narrows is lost" which I think pretty explicitly signals they're done with that side of Gotham.

I simply don't agree with anyone who says TDK's use of Chicago was uninspired.

Remember the scene near the monorail where Rachel was followed and first runs into the Batman? How cool would it have been to have a scene with the Joker there? Or when Rachel drove Bruce underground to Falcone's hideout? Instead we got the mayor assassination scene, typical American city with tall buildings, SO BORING.

Puddles

Banned
It's okay to say that you think Inception was overrated, but saying that Minority Report was better? :lol

How many times have any of you actually watched that since 2002? It's a film I'd watch if it was playing on tv at 1am and I couldn't sleep, but I can't imagine specifically picking it if there were other good options. It's clearly bottom-tier Spielberg.

I can't believe a conversation like this could actually happen. Feels like having to argue with Kobe haters about why Clyde Drexler was not a better player. :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Now that I think about the monorail part a little more, the best title for this movie wouldve been

Batrail: This One's Gonna BLOW!

Puddles said:
How many times have any of you actually watched that since 2002?

Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 times which is roughly 7-9 more times I'm likely to watch Inception before 2020.

Talon

vicissitudes said:
Remember the scene near the monorail where Rachel was followed and first runs into the Batman? How cool would it have been to have a scene with the Joker there? Or when Rachel drove Bruce underground to Falcone's hideout? Instead we got the mayor assassination scene, typical American city with tall buildings, SO BORING.
Underpass scenes. The tractor trailer scene. The bridges being closed off scenes.

Wrong.

StuBurns

Banned
vicissitudes said:
This guy knows what's up.

She actually seemed like Bruce's childhood friend and someone he cared about in Begins. In TDK she's...just some girl Bruce wants to get with.
I think in a way it's an unfair comparison. Rachel felt a lot more integral to Begins, and Begins is in general the better film, with a much greater focus on the Bruce and his 'demons'. And I don't think Holmes' did an amazing job or anything, but I think she did really well, as appose to her replacement who despite doing excellent work elsewhere, really wasn't notable in TDK, and I don't feel like her Rachel cared all that much about Bruce, that could be intentional, but if so it didn't feel in-keeping with the story and his motivations.

Puddles said:
It's okay to say that you think Inception was overrated, but saying that Minority Report was better? :lol

How many times have any of you actually watched that since 2002? It's a film I'd watch if it was playing on tv at 1am and I couldn't sleep, but I can't imagine specifically picking it if there were other good options. It's clearly bottom-tier Spielberg.

I can't believe a conversation like this could actually happen. Feels like having to argue with Kobe haters about why Clyde Drexler was not a better player. :lol

No way man. Minority Report is great. I've watched it around 15 times since its release. It is just so much more well developed than Inception which feels undercooked to me in comparison.

StuBurns said:
and I don't feel like her Rachel cared all that much about Bruce, that could be intentional, but if so it didn't feel in-keeping with the story and his motivations.

she only seemed to start caring about either one of them right before she got roasted.

typical bitch really.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
something about Minority Report put me off to it. It's been a while since I watched it all the way through. all I can remember for sure is that the bloom lighting was way too much, along with the drag grey style in places. But as for story elements, my mind has a hard time recalling what I didn't quite love about it.

StuBurns said:
I'm not saying she was great, just better.

I'm just being a jerk. I sort of agree, but Maggie wasn't given much to work with either.

And I'm sorry. I think Maggie Gyllenhaall can actually be very attractive. But in the dinner scene, where the Joker says "Oh and you are beautiful." I was just sorta like...

ydpvt.gif

Scullibundo said:
No way man. Minority Report is great. I've watched it around 15 times since its release. It is just so much more well developed than Inception which feels undercooked to me in comparison.

In what sense? Because Minority Report, despite having some amazing moments (MALL), had some dumb and silly plotholes.

EDIT: Well, maybe you mean concept. Which is of course arguable but that's moot.

Mr. Snrub said:
In what sense? Because Minority Report, despite having some amazing moments (MALL), had some dumb and silly plotholes.

EDIT: Well, maybe you mean concept. Which is of course arguable but that's moot.

Well that's one of my biggest complaints with Inception. We know next to nothing about how the tech actually works/the history behind it which is why we can't really analyze any of the science/logic behind it. Because its never explained.

Minority Report felt like a much more detailed and fully realized world from the environments, the government systems down to the nitty gritty aspects of how people live in the future. The characters are also much more fleshed out.

DMczaf

When that "Bale getting in shape for Batman" story came out, they were actually talking about his hair

11kywsg.jpg

It's back in "Training in the mountains with Ninjas" shape!

Bob White

TacticalFox88 said:
No Riddler? OK, seriously, fuck YOU Nolan. Now we'll NEVER see his character done justice. Fucking dumbass move.

Jesus....Did you make one of those stupid fucking fake Riddler movie posters after Dark Knight? No one cares about whatever skinny awkward actor you had in mind for the role and no one wants to fucking watch Joker-lite done in the same fucking vein as the previous movie.

Go watch Iron Man.

botkiller

I really want to see more of the crazy, paranoid Batman. They touched on it briefly in TDK, but it felt like a great setup for the next film.

Puddles

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Well that's one of my biggest complaints with Inception. We know next to nothing about how the tech actually works/the history behind it which is why we can't really analyze any of the science/logic behind it. Because its never explained.

Minority Report felt like a much more detailed and fully realized world from the environments, the government systems down to the nitty gritty aspects of how people live in the future. The characters are also much more fleshed out.

I've never understood people griping on the characters. This isn't a flaw at all. You can say "Aside from Cobb, we don't know much about the characters in Inception", but that's like saying "Psycho is shot in black and white." You're just making a statement about an aspect of the film, not making a valid criticism.

DiCaprio and Murphy's characters were the only ones who really needed to be fleshed out, and they were developed quite well. Do we really need more backstory for JGL? I think we know as much about him as we need to know. He's a good character because of his actions, dialogue and charisma, not because we know everything that happened to him over the last 20 years to make him into the person he is. Characters can be good without having extensive backstories. I'd argue that pretty much all of the principal actors got enough screen-time and were well-written enough that we got to know their characters, even though we didn't know much about them.

The external world of Minority Report was much better developed, but Inception takes place largely in dreams, so it's not really a fair comparison. You can make the argument that the only "world" that really matters in Inception is the world of Cobb's mind, and to a lesser extent, the world of Fischer's mind.

Also, Minority Report didn't really grip me at all. There was one scene that had me really emotionally involved, and that was when Cruise's character finds the room with the pictures of abducted children and confronts the man who he thinks killed his son and who he is supposed to murder. On the other hand, Inception was extremely emotionally involving at times, particularly in the scenes between Cobb and Mal.

I really thought Inception was a much better film, but you know how opinions are.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jett said:
Lulz at Sculli for complaining about me mentioning Cameron, look at what this thread has become now. :p

p.s. Kubrick is the one true god of filmmaking.

Personally I'm just fine with Kubrick being keep out of the carnival of stupid.

Puddles said:
I've never understood people griping on the characters. This isn't a flaw at all. You can say "Aside from Cobb, we don't know much about the characters in Inception", but that's like saying "Psycho is shot in black and white." You're just making a statement about an aspect of the film, not making a valid criticism.

DiCaprio and Murphy's characters were the only ones who really needed to be fleshed out, and they were developed quite well. Do we really need more backstory for JGL? I think we know as much about him as we need to know. He's a good character because of his actions, dialogue and charisma, not because we know everything that happened to him over the last 20 years to make him into the person he is. Characters can be good without having extensive backstories. I'd argue that pretty much all of the principal actors got enough screen-time and were well-written enough that we got to know their characters, even though we didn't know much about them.

The external world of Minority Report was much better developed, but Inception takes place largely in dreams, so it's not really a fair comparison. You can make the argument that the only "world" that really matters in Inception is the world of Cobb's mind, and to a lesser extent, the world of Fischer's mind.

Also, Minority Report didn't really grip me at all. There was one scene that had me really emotionally involved, and that was when Cruise's character finds the room with the pictures of abducted children and confronts the man who he thinks killed his son and who he is supposed to murder. On the other hand, Inception was extremely emotionally involving at times, particularly in the scenes between Cobb and Mal.

I really thought Inception was a much better film, but you know how opinions are.

My gripe about characters comes more in their distinction. You can try to tell me that Cobb, Arthur, Ariadne and Eames are all completely different characters, yet if you give them all the same voice and turn the picture off it would be hard to tell who is talking. Even the side-characters, like the crazy chap who watches over the haloed victims in Minority Report are completely distinct and all have their own motivations - rather than characters whose sole purpose is to go with the flow of the plot. I know Anderton's motivations, I know his wife's, the inspectors', the head of pre-crime's, Agatha's etc. They are all well rounded and well established characters who, diverse as they may be are slotted into the story.

The characters in Inception all seem to want to help Cobb JUST CAUSE. None of them have motivations that define their character. Its essentially just a thinly veiled monetary gain if anything. But that's okay, because its a heist film. But then you can't complain if I don't find the characters in the film as engaging as I do Minority Report's.

Puddles said:
You can say "Aside from Cobb, we don't know much about the characters in Inception", but that's like saying "Psycho is shot in black and white."
No, but it's like saying "Aside from Memento and Batman Begins, Nolan has never written any full-fledged characters that made any sense". Which is also right.
Puddles said:
On the other hand, Inception was extremely emotionally involving at times, particularly in the scenes between Cobb and Mal.
Oh, yeah, extremely emotional, especially those tutorial scenes that popped up every 2 minutes or so. I was crying my heart out.

Minority Report is Spielberg at his close-to-best. Nolan cannot even aspire to get to that level, since Spielberg started his career better than Nolan did, and went up and away. Nolan hasn't topped Memento ever, and is continuing to focus on action movies when he can't direct action sequences.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No villain used for DKR would top Ledger's Joker. So why invite the comparison at all? Why try to just one-up TDK in a straightforward manner?

This is Nolan's last Batman movie. Nolan's Hollywood cachet meter is full and flashing, waiting for the double qcf level 3 super of his avant-garde sensibilities to be fully let loose upon Batman.

I have high expectations.

Puddles said:

My gripe about characters comes more in their distinction. You can try to tell me that Cobb, Arthur, Ariadne and Eames are all completely different characters, yet if you give them all the same voice and turn the picture off it would be hard to tell who is talking. Even the side-characters, like the crazy chap who watches over the haloed victims in Minority Report are completely distinct and all have their own motivations - rather than characters whose sole purpose is to go with the flow of the plot. I know Anderton's motivations, I know his wife's, the inspectors', the head of pre-crime's, Agatha's etc. They are all well rounded and well established characters who, diverse as they may be are slotted into the story. I also identify and thus care about these characters. Now that isn't a requisite for a movie in any way - but its one small reason I prefer these characters. If Arthur, Ariadne or Earmes died, I wouldn't give two shits. But if Anderton, his wife or Agatha are in danger (or, like Farrel's agent) or killed, I care.

The characters in Inception all seem to want to help Cobb JUST CAUSE. None of them have motivations that define their character. Its essentially just a thinly veiled monetary gain if anything. But that's okay, because its a heist film. But then you can't complain if I don't find the characters in the film as engaging as I do Minority Report's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom