• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

I hope they don't patch the game for at least 3 to 6 months. I want to be able to see players adapt and learn and just get better at dealing with cheap stuff (dante/dorm or just thorns).

Adaptation is the best part of fighting games. I'd hate for Capcom to release a patch early to nerf things. Would hate to get another Sentinel situation with Capcom nerfing things unnecessarily. Imo.

I don't like talking tiers or balancing for at least 6m to a year in a game's life.

Just let the game live and evolve. That's what I would love.

Even with that health nerf Sentinel was still a beast.

Negaduck

Even with that health nerf Sentinel was still a beast.

True, but it was completely unnecessary. Watching players develop strats to overcome (dark Phoenix) things is the best imo.

Edit: on pc does anyone know if there is a way to get my fightcard (menu screen) as a flat image? I want to make it my wallpaper but not have the menu titles on it.

hawk2025

Autocombos are pretty insulting to even people at the lowest skill levels, I feel. Even as a kid I'd be like, there's gotta be more to this, why am I wasting my time on this shit that does the same thin gover and over again.

MvC3s basic mode had it right. It doesn't need to be dumbed down any further. I'm not even sure if we need noob modes so much as we need more ways to play.

Nope, nope, and nope.

It’s the perfect on-ramp. You start using autocombos, slowly tweak it with your own moves, and eventually leave them behind altogether naturally. Thinking there’s anything “insulting” or “dumbed down” about it doesn’t make any sense. It helps beginners and is irrelevant for anyone else.

You don't think Capcom counted on both 2 million sales AND the slow drip of premium costumes?

Failing to come close to their sales expectations is a huge hit no matter what. They may still stick with the game as planned, but there's no way to sugar coat the base game flopping. It has significant implications.

It has significant implications for Capcom's bottom line yes. But for us? Not really. They'll continue to support it because this day and age you don't just drop a revenue stream especially after putting a lot of money into its development, especially when it was built from the ground up as a 'service model' kind of game. As long as tournament viewership is high they'll keep supporting the tournament scene as well.

shaowebb

Beating Reality stone.

HAHA Reality stone trades with Magnum! God Chris so god damn bad in this game....
Good shit. Now we need one that shows how many tools can handle two reality shots because folks doubled up using tags.

I think the moves that penetrated to punish looked the best. Ghost Riders chain shot looked great and Cap. Americas shield counter looked best since it reflected and if they got caught in its hitbox afterthe stone activates they get crumpled. Standard Dante or Spencer tools handle it at least. Hulk and Haggar plow it good too. Hell Hulk can punish with gamma charge so I hope he shows up more. Top 8 makes sense on multiple levels now.

Autocombos are pretty insulting to even people at the lowest skill levels, I feel. Even as a kid I'd be like, there's gotta be more to this, why am I wasting my time on this shit that does the same thin gover and over again.

MvC3s basic mode had it right. It doesn't need to be dumbed down any further. I'm not even sure if we need noob modes so much as we need more ways to play.
As a parent of an 8 year old autocombos are a good thing. My daughter who never played a capcom game is having a blast with this one because of them. She loves marvel characters and autocombos have helped her have fun.

Anth0ny

here ya go kid, with auto combo at least you'll be able to execute a basic marvel vs capcom combo! now head out there and do your best!

DRONE DRONE AMBIGUOUS CROSS UP 26 HIT BNB COMBO TAG COMMAND GRAB POWER OF THE POWER OF THE POWER OF THE ROSE GARDEN TAG AMBIGUOUS CROSS UP 120 HIT BNB COMBO DEAD

giphy.gif

Linari

Neo Member
So is there any point to Dante's Bold Move now? I guess it could be useful for getting you into the air at a weird angle quickly.

Man....that's really sad to hear about the game's sales in the UK. I hope it does better here in the US, and that the word of mouth helps stretch it's legs for a long period. MvC series usually has great legs. Such a shame though.

Bold move is useful for ending block strings as you can airdash in or out for safety. You can also cancel your normals on whiff into bold move i.e cr.hp xx bold move as a spacing tool, but all of this doesn't matter when you have jetstream xx crazy dance/Twister and cr.lk stinger overhead bullshit instead... :)

edit

Based on the video above, that seems to be the case of pierce vs non-pierce properties on projectiles now instead of projectile durability like MVC3.

Jawmuncher

I love Auto Combos. As I said before mainly since I just use it as a replacement for my launching combo in MVC3. I'm not a big fan how launcher are tied to Down. So the auto combo going into the air makes up for that. Since I know enough of the game to work everything else.

vg260

It has significant implications for Capcom's bottom line yes. But for us? Not really. They'll continue to support it because this day and age you don't just drop a revenue stream especially after putting a lot of money into its development, especially when it was built from the ground up as a 'service model' kind of game. As long as tournament viewership is high they'll keep supporting the tournament scene as well.

Yes, but a smaller user base probably affects the level of support the put into the game.

I want to see some fixes and improvements to presentation, but if the sales are quite bad, that makes those things less likely to happen if they are tighter with the support budget, and just stick to more to just new content, and less on QoL improvements.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh and btw, those rumours that pegged Gill as the last character for the season pass before Widow swooped in out of nowhere?

Assuming those were true (you can choose to believe it or not, but let's pretend they were true), that means he would have been already worked on to make season 1.

I think everyone can agree (at least we did before the BOMBApocalypse) that Widow was pulled from season 2 to make up for the lack of female characters, which would mean a season 1 character (and a season 1 character would mean someone already being worked on) was pushed, Gill or otherwise.

I dont think that no matter how badly the game does, season 1 is the last new content we will see (not that we will se much more than a hypothetical season 2 mind you).

Oh and I dont think that holloween Gill costume in SF5 is innocent either, regarding Gill chnces in Marvel.

vg260

Adaptation is the best part of fighting games. I'd hate for Capcom to release a patch early to nerf things. Would hate to get another Sentinel situation with Capcom nerfing things unnecessarily. Imo.

The misconception about the Sentintal nerf being a knee-jerk reaction refuses to die.

The health decrease was planned, as has been noted in interviews.

Negaduck

Yo, Sigma and Firebrand fan? You're too cool, bro.

Share Firebrand tech with me >.>

https://youtu.be/JRz9bTiCm9U

This is the current bnb I use. It builds one meter so as long as you have a bar you will get the full thing.

It's a little different when it's in the corner (kidnap doesn't go as far so the scythes are harder to connect). I have a corner variation I can record tonight. This is just midscreen and you are able to confirm off of the s.hp,s.hk (which is super damn easy to see hitting).

The misconception about the Sentintal nerf being a knee-jerk reaction refuses to die.

The health decrease was planned, as has been noted in interviews.

Interesting, I never knew it was planned. Thanks for correcting me.

Vice

Good shit. Now we need one that shows how many tools can handle two reality shots because folks doubled up using tags.

I think the moves that penetrated to punish looked the best. Ghost Riders chain shot looked great and Cap. Americas shield counter looked best since it reflected and if they got caught in its hitbox afterthe stone activates they get crumpled. Standard Dante or Spencer tools handle it at least. Hulk and Haggar plow it good too. Hell Hulk can punish with gamma charge so I hope he shows up more. Top 8 makes sense on multiple levels now.
Gamora' air f.lk blows through reality stone. Cancel it into guns and it's easy to manage a couple on screen.

Linari

Neo Member
Even without it.

lol no

Sentinel was garbage character overall in mvc3 and even more so in umvc3. Good assists or not the character was slow, big AND had low health. His saving grace as anchor character WAS X-factor lvl3 and TK Hard drive. Rayray be damned...

vg260

Interesting, I never knew it was planned. Thanks for correcting me.

Sorry if I came off as condescending. I'm probably a little sensitive to that one because I'm a fan of patching for balance when warranted, and the patch gets a lot of criticism, because the story is not well-known. There was an SRK podcast with some of the guide writers about it, and some other stuff, but the super-long lead times on both the patches last gen and the guide meant that they couldn't get it in time for both the game at launch and the guide before it went to press.

Negaduck

Sorry if I came off as condescending. I'm probably a little sensitive to that one because I'm a fan of patching for balance when warranted, and the patch gets a lot of criticism, because the story is not well-known. There was an SRK podcast with some of the guide writers about it, and some other stuff, but the super-long lead times on both the patches last gen and the guide meant that they couldn't get it in time for both the game at launch and the guide before it went to press.

Nah man I'm all about the facts. I don't wanna be spitting incorrect info. I Def feel you, I feel more of the opposite since I came from the arcade Era without patches (Mvc2 specifically) and we just learned to get better, created tech, adapted because well we probably weren't getting an update.

And with patches it is a huge fear of mine that adaptation and overcoming obstacles can be lost. I love adaptation and overcoming.

JeTmAn81

I am sad that MVCI isn't selling well. Not that they don't deserve a sales hit due to the way they handled development and marketing, but it's a really good game in the end and it deserves an audience. I will be much chagrined if this hurts the future of the Vs. series, one of the best in gaming. They obviously went cheap on development so I just hope they're able to make a decent enough profit even with low sales.

Mit-

Were all dragon punches replaced with down+down in this game except Ryu's shoryuken? I legit thought they removed Spider Sting from this game until I looked at the command list. So dumb. My hand doesn't like doing down+down motions on stick.

jett

D-Member
Mahvel bombed so hard Capcom isn't even bothering to upload the NCR top 8 to their YouTube CapcomFighters channel (or any MvC:I match of any sort)

JeTmAn81

Were all dragon punches replaced with down+down in this game except Ryu's shoryuken? I legit thought they removed Spider Sting from this game until I looked at the command list. So dumb. My hand doesn't like doing down+down motions on stick.

Doctor Strange, Firebrand and probably a few others still have DP motions. Outside of Ryu I think they only included them if the character already had DD motions for other moves and they needed another input.

NEO0MJ

While it's sad to see a good game crash like this it really is Capcom's fault in the end. Instead of learning from SF V it's like they doubled down on their mistakes while at the same time not doing the things they did right with V. Thanos and Jedah should have been events, not throwaway reveals.

https://youtu.be/JRz9bTiCm9UThis is the current bnb I use. It builds one meter so as long as you have a bar you will get the full thing.

It's a little different when it's in the corner (kidnap doesn't go as far so the scythes are harder to connect). I have a corner variation I can record tonight. This is just midscreen and you are able to confirm off of the s.hp,s.hk (which is super damn easy to see hitting).

Thanks for the info. Gonna try to compare the damage to the version I saw Apologyman do.

lol no

Sentinel was garbage character overall in mvc3 and even more so in umvc3. Good assists or not the character was slow, big AND had low health. His saving grace as anchor character WAS X-factor lvl3 and TK Hard drive. Rayray be damned...

True, however that still gave him a niche and so more presence than theoretically better characters such as Wesker.

DR2K

Banned
Nah, I certainly blame the "fanbase" for some of it.

There's been little rational discourse about this game from jump.

Fans weren’t responsible for lack of communication, poor roster choices, shitty story demo, no advertising, and horrible meme worthy visuals.

JeTmAn81

There's kind of a funny experience with this game where you forget how ugly it is while you're actually playing. Everything's so frenetic and intense, then the match is finally over and it's like your beer goggles wore off and you see exactly who you went home with. That Dante face makes me cringe every time. Like, I know if anyone else was in the room with me watching the game I'd have to explain why it looks like that.

FSLink

Banned
There's kind of a funny experience with this game where you forget how ugly it is while you're actually playing. Everything's so frenetic and intense, then the match is finally over and it's like your beer goggles wore off and you see exactly who you went home with. That Dante face makes me cringe every time. Like, I know if anyone else was in the room with me watching the game I'd have to explain why it looks like that.

Yeah I actually think the game looks okay within fights (especially with characters like Iron Man and Cap Marvel who look good) but then it cuts to a zoomed in Lv3 or the victory screen and you remember. :(

Jawmuncher

The Zoom-In on the zombie in the cart in Franks Hyper Combo is one of the worst in the game.
It's been the biggest thing I notice while playing.

I am sad that MVCI isn't selling well. Not that they don't deserve a sales hit due to the way they handled development and marketing, but it's a really good game in the end and it deserves an audience. I will be much chagrined if this hurts the future of the Vs. series, one of the best in gaming. They obviously went cheap on development so I just hope they're able to make a decent enough profit even with low sales.

Yeah all the negative press as well as that awful demo and lack of marketing didn't even have this on my radar prior to release. Reading some impressions from the OT here as well as watching some of the tournament this weekend convinced me to pick it up. Gameplay really is solid, it's a shame everything else has been such a mess. Hopefully it has some long legs and sales will improve before all is said and done, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that.

Skilletor

Fans weren’t responsible for lack of communication, poor roster choices, shitty story demo, no advertising, and horrible meme worthy visuals.

And yet you've been there shitposting from jump only to turn around and say you love the game.

FOH

SFxT 2.0 indeed.

PSqueak

Banned

Not all of them, don't have a complete list of characters with shoryuken motions, but at least one of Frank's new moves is also a shoryuken motion.

Top Bottom