• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

MouldyK

They have to be shitting bricks when it comes to Monster Hunter World. So much is riding on that game at this point.

Well they decided to not bring out MHXX for the West...which is already probably over 50% Localised due to Generations...

...just so MHW can be in the spotlight more.

So they aren’t exactly helping themselves.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Marvel said no X-Men to a franchise that started with X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and told them to deliver a complete game with a full story mode on the budget of one of Injustice 2's trailers.

That's so weird. Why the tiny budget? Seemed to me like Disney was handling their franchises wisely, in terms of videogames.

Is there a reason why they wanted no X-Men?

TGKbddK.jpg

3v0KSSs.jpg

Riiight.

This is nonsense.

If that was you trying to sell your point it didn't work very well. Infinite ugly as fuck. That picture is not flattering.

NotLiquid

Werent the art assets done by like 5-6 different studios?

The credits of the game points to Capcom staff being the leads for animation/model/environment in terms of directors and production. There are several Japanese studios that also did CG and animation work, presumably for the story mode, but considering one of those is Shirogumi who's an incredibly sought out CG studio in Japan (they've done work for MGS5, NieR Automata, Monster Hunter Stories and Shin Godzilla among other things) the onus mostly seem to come down onto Capcom for the poor art direction in general.

Are you for real?

USF2 was blasted for being a premium port of a ten year old XBL game that was a port of a 25 year old SNES game with the added bonus of having the worst motion controls ever. Also it was emblematic of Capcom's disdain for the Switch.

USF2 didn't have it easy at all.

Tbf USF2 fixed a lot that was wrong with HDR including new rendition of the OST.

TVC still looks great ! they should port an HD remaster for the wii.

The rights for the game are a nightmare to acquire. Capcom can't even sell it because the licenses expired.

The game really does hold up. Clean up some of the textures and render it at 1080p and it would be solid. 8ing killed it with this game.

jwhit28

I might pick it up when it gets around $20. I won't feel bad about paying extra to get X-Men back into a Vs series game then.

SSFIIT was never on the SNES or Genesis.

MouldyK

That's so weird. Why the tiny budget? Seemed to me like Disney was handling their franchises wisely, in terms of videogames.

Disney: “MCU = Cash...Everything Else = Trash”

Also, I was at EGX 2017 yesterday and there was a Lego Marvel 2 Dev Session where they said “Marvel gave us no limit on what we could use! Amazing!”...

But where’s the X-Men in that game?

Dude, that's just depressing. Capcom needs to shake up its marketing department stat. The main problem, as far as I can, was that most people were just unaware that the game even existed.

Mafro

Okami HD on Switch would probably outsell the other versions as well.

Same for Mega Man Collection and Disney Cartoon Club.

They literally have no idea what they're doing.
We'll probably see Okamiden as another test game sooner than any of those on Switch.

Karsha

I might be wrong but I don't think Europe cared much about MvC in general, the game seems to be a classic only in US

liquidtmd

Banned
Dude, that's just depressing. Capcom needs to shake up its marketing department stat. The main problem, as far as I can, was that most people were just unaware that the game even existed.

And those that did but were casual...I know it's been speculated often but I truly wonder how much damage the demo did

I own the game. I enjoy the game but Jesus that demo almost put me off. I was only sold by taking an interest in the streams days prior to release. They sold me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The way Capcom has been treating the Switch proves they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm sure they'll be porting over the Sunday morning collection and Dragon's Dogma. Porting old games is nothing.

The worrying part is half assing all of their new shit.

MCD

This feels so wrong given how great and complete of a package MvC:I turned out to be. It's all the progress we've wanted from Capcom as a company, marred by a few bad faces (that got fixed, but who knows that when you have a shit PR department?) and recycled assets.

Have a shit PR department, brehs. Fail to communicate what's in your title until you learn about extra modes and features in leaked copies brehs

This is embarrassing. I have no idea who the fuck is buying USFII, not then, not now.

How is it a complete package? The graphics are last gen and dlc characters is so fucking cheap. If you want easy money do outfits not essential things ina fighting game ffs.

Game deserved to bomb. Sorry.

Jawmuncher

I think they were banking way too hard on the demo. In the case of RE7 it made sense. Was a stand alone experience. People were treating it like it was PT filled with secrets. But in MVC:I the demo did not leave a good impression.

Alienous

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving game.

Launch with less characters than MvC3? Go ahead. No X-Men, but you'll still nickel and dime people for characters like Black Panther, Monster Hunter and Venom? Sounds like a winning strategy. All wrapped in a 'we don't give a shit' level of presentation? What could possibly go wrong?

How is it a complete package? The graphics are last gen and dlc characters is so fucking cheap. If you want easy money do outfits not essential things ina fighting game ffs.

Game deserved to bomb. Sorry.

The graphics are not last gen, the art style sucks. As shown in this thread even an upscale TVC looks better than MVC:I because of the art style.

redcrayon

The UK isn't Nintendo's weakest territory, there are many territories other than the US, Japan, France, Germany etc. It's the weakest of the handful of stronger games markets for them that we regularly discuss here, but realistically there's a huge drop off after the US, and the difference between the U.K. and Germany isn't huge.

Not sure if this post is serious when you bring up Japan and France as "other territories" as if either of those territories would be considered weaker than Nintendo's UK market. Pretty sure they're stronger in Germany too, but I don't follow that market as much.
You've clearly misunderstood my point- The US, Japan, Germany and France are all stronger than the U.K. for Nintendo, but there are many other territories that are weaker than the U.K. for Nintendo. I replied to a post saying that the UK was 'the weakest' which, considering there is over two dozen territories in Europe alone, clearly isn't true unless you only count the handful of biggest territories for games worldwide like those listed above.

sibarraz

Banned
The moment when the chun li face/ all characters are functions / filipino and Jwong shilling blindly for the game is went everything went to the shitter for me

The game looks fun, but I dont want to support Capcom Idiocy

squall23

TVC still looks great ! they should port an HD remaster for the wii.
Tatsunoko all of a sudden became super anal about licenses after the streak of lending their IPs out for crossovers. Hence why Tekkaman Blade hasn't appeared in Super Robot Wars in a long while.

It doesn't.

Maybe its a matter of opinion but as you can see , many in this thread feel that it does . I will say many else where think that its unappealing too and that could be one of the reason for its poor sales performance.

Yeah, those pixelated low-res vines/branches really round out the package.

Its telling how much MVC:i's art style fails when an upres wii game with its technical faults still manages to look more pleasing to many.

hotcyder

Well I mean. Disney canned their entire internal development staff to move towards a licensing model - So they only really care about the money a project is going to generate, rather than the quality of it. MVC is a recognisable brand name, so there's obviously interest. I can't imagine they put much money into the project - or at least not as much as Capcom.

And the reason they don't want X-men is because they won't make as much merchandising money on them as much as they will Spider Man and the Avengers.

It's all big business

I don't see it fairing too much better in the States. Go look at marketing material posted by Capcom's Facebook, and look at most of the replies.

It's brutal.

It does. No amount of post-processing effects and stock lighting can cover up MVCI's awful character designs and animations. In fact they only highlight what a frankenstein game it is.

I agree MvCI is not a beautiful game, but backgrounds does like 2 gen apart (in fact they are 2 gens apart). If someone believe that Tatsunoko background with 4 polys and poorly made textures looks better than MvCI is...insane.

Madness

Says more about MvC4 than Switch honestly. I know a guy at work who recently bought MvC3 PS3 edition at an EbGames used so him and his friends can have a tournament at his placr or something. He barely knew a nee game was coming, was disgusted no X-men and didn't care about the Infinity stuff.

Yes the game should be on Switch too, but let's not pretend MvC4 is a shadow of its former games in a lot of respects. It is especially Marvel trting to shore up their damn Infinity War movie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I watched a buddy go through the Mission Mode. Unless I missed something there was no substantial tutorial. There a set that just goes over movement, basic attacks and the stones’ Infinity Surge and Infinity Storm. The character specific missions are just combo trials.

It’s a really poor tutorial mode, honestly. Xrd, KI, and Original Skullgirls still have a way better tutorial.

And when compared to the market leader - NRS - Capcom’s games are sorely in need of single player content. It amazes me that they haven’t yet realized their games need a repeatable single player mode a la MKX and Injustice 2.
Later character trials go over switch combos as well. In terms of pacing newbies it's probably the best, which isn't talked about enough when it comes to tutorials.

Xrd tutorial is an exhausting gauntlet of challenges that rarely makes you integrate mechanics. It's really bad IMO I don't know why it gets much praise, it's beyond intimidating and I can't see any beginner sticking through it.

Skullgirls' tutorial is good because it has neutral stuff that most other tutorials don't and is very comprehensive, but is also an essay fest. Better than information there than not, but it's very draining as a result.

Can't remember what KI's is like, I'm sure it's good.

Top Bottom