• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

I didn't mind the story in the game, but one issue I'm having is the way they're retconning Sully's importance to Drake. In the first game, Drake is doubting Sully's motives (and if he has turned to the bad guys), but in this game, he's risking his life to save Sully from the pirates, and he's obviously really affected when he thinks they've killed Sully.

Seeing as how important Sully has been to Drake throughout his years, Drake should've never doubted him in the first game. Dunno if this has been discussed, but it's a sticking point.
Besides what Jett said, I also feel that they both have matured since then. Maybe as a couple of dudes, their feelings were never expressed the same way they are now. Since Drake's life became more real once he met and married Elena, Sully sees that Drake needed a particular type of father figure other than the one he'd been "providing" all these years when he sees him constantly fleeing life in search of treasures. Plus, he's getting too old for that shit haha.

-Winnie-

I think the thing that bothered me the most about the story in UC3 was how it was inconsistent with its themes from UC2.
UC2 kept on going on and on about Nate's role as a hero amongst a group of criminals, but that theme was completely thrown out in UC3. It felt like that should've been a recurring thing to be kept throughout the series, so it just felt strange not being there after it was just so prominent in UC2.
I did play UC2 again right before UC3, so maybe that's why it was so noticeable to me.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about the story in UC3 was how it was inconsistent with its themes from UC2.
UC2 kept on going on and on about Nate's role as a hero amongst a group of criminals, but that theme was completely thrown out in UC3. It felt like that should've been a recurring thing to be kept throughout the series, so it just felt strange not being there after it was just so prominent in UC2.
I did play UC2 again right before UC3, so maybe that's why it was so noticeable to me.

I think that's what Sully, Chloe and Elena were trying to get at but it kept going over his head. He's not like the typical criminal types he comes up against on his adventures. Was he doing it for the right reasons? Does he know when to cut his losses and quit to save himself and his friends? Drake was getting more and more reckless throughout the game until it almost cost him the life of his closest friend; this was a more personal quest for him than in Among Thieves and in the process of pursuing his goal he began to forget who he was and why he was doing it, just to try and prove a point.

People are misinterpreting what I was saying in relation to the artifacts and Indiana Jones.

Yes, Indiana Jones has magic, but they are magical ARTIFACTS. There are treasures that the main character finds, and it makes the quest feel climactic. They've set it up the entire story, so you know when you find it, you're reaching the end. It feels complete.

In Uncharted, you never get that feeling of resolution because you never find anything.

It's a subtle point, but one that really stands out. It always feels like something's missing from the end of these games.

People are misinterpreting what I was saying in relation to the artifacts and Indiana Jones.

Yes, Indiana Jones has magic, but they are magical ARTIFACTS. There are treasures that the main character finds, and it makes the quest feel climactic. They've set it up the entire story, so you know when you find it, you're reaching the end. It feels complete.

In Uncharted, you never get that feeling of resolution because you never find anything.

It's a subtle point, but one that really stands out. It always feels like something's missing from the end of these games.

Huh? El Dorado? Shamballa? The City of Brass? These games always lead up to something big and unbelievable and they do appear.

The "zombies" (forgot what they actually call them) in Drake's Fortune are alluded to from like the third chapter of the game, and they do find the artifact at the end of the game.

Lazarevich finds exactly what he's looking for the entire time in Shamballah, I'm not sure how there isn't closure for that either.

I guess the only thing that doesn't fully manifest is the djinn in Uncharted 3, but it's made pretty clear that it affects the water in the City of Brass and even if the "supernatural" enemy is revealed to just be an effect of Drake being fucked up by the water he drinks, the djinn is made out to be pretty real in the story. It just happens to be the one time that Drake manages to stop the "evil supernatural thing" from falling into the villains' clutches.

There's closure with the "fantastic" element/artifact in all three games so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. You always know that you're reaching the end of the game when Navarro unearths El Dorado, when Lazarevich forces Drake to open the way to Shamballah, when Nathan and Sully catch up to Marlowe and company and find The City of Brass.

JB1981

that was the most disappointing thing, I wished they kept Sully dead. It brought so much drama towards the end and showed how selfish drake was being, that should have cost something in the end.
Just finished the game and I agree. This should have been the result of Nathan's hubris, a theme running throughout the entire game. ND pussies out. I think UC2 is the better game but this was also great

Huh? El Dorado? Shamballa? The City of Brass? These games always lead up to something big and unbelievable and they do appear.

The "zombies" (forgot what they actually call them) in Drake's Fortune are alluded to from like the third chapter of the game, and they do find the artifact at the end of the game.

Lazarevich finds exactly what he's looking for the entire time in Shamballah, I'm not sure how there isn't closure for that either.

I guess the only thing that doesn't fully manifest is the djinn in Uncharted 3, but it's made pretty clear that it affects the water in the City of Brass and even if the "supernatural" enemy is revealed to just be an effect of Drake being fucked up by the water he drinks, the djinn is made out to be pretty real in the story. It just happens to be the one time that Drake manages to stop the "evil supernatural thing" from falling into the villains' clutches.

There's closure with the "fantastic" element/artifact in all three games so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. You always know that you're reaching the end of the game when Navarro unearths El Dorado, when Lazarevich forces Drake to open the way to Shamballah, when Nathan and Sully catch up to Marlowe and company and find The City of Brass.

You must have misread my post, because I never said there wasn't a third act arena/location. I specifically said ARTIFACTS.

More specifically -- the macguffin.

When you get to these grand cities at the end of the games, you never find any treasure. That's my entire point. In UC1 it's zombie dust, in UC2 it's tree sap, and in UC3 it's magic water (and an urn for about two seconds). Why not have UC3 set up the idea of a magic genie lamp all the way in the beginning of the game (good writing and act structure), and then at the end of the game you find it, and inside is the rock or mineral that's causing the hallucinogen?

Again, it seems subtle, but it's definitely something that lessons the impact of finding these cities, not elevates it.

You must have misread my post, because I never said there wasn't a third act arena/location. I specifically said ARTIFACTS.

When you get to these grand cities at the end of the games, you never find any treasure. That's my entire point. In UC1 it's zombie dust, in UC2 it's tree sap, and in UC3 it's magic water (and an urn for about two seconds). Why not have UC3 set up the idea of a magic genie lamp all the way in the beginning of the game (good writing and act structure), and then at the end of the game you find it, and inside is the rock or mineral that's causing the hallucinogen?

Again, it seems subtle, but it's definitely something that lessons the impact of finding these cities, not elevates it.

i think that's because uncharted is a series that is tied to reality .. you get to see the logical and modern reason for the artifacts deemed "mgic" in their time .. what will you do with a room full of treasures ? drake is not in it for money ..he is in it for the thrill .. marlowe is exactly right at the beginning . nathan is looking for thrills .

Also him finding a real "BIG" treasure ( because he does find small ones ) would lead anyone else to stop looking , and our characters kinda doesn't want it except sully and chloe .( and neither do i )

If Drake truly is in it for the thrills, then finding a bunch of treasure wouldn't stop future adventures, now would it?

And I do agree that the games need some cool mcguffin, not just big city that you don't get to explore and then blows up almost immediately.

jax (old)

Banned
people wishing they killed sully in this thread.

/facepalm.

<3 sully jumping around at the end of the game when the city collapsed.

Patapwn

Uncharted 2 had the chinimani stone (I have no idea how to spell that) but for the other two I get your point. El Dorado being a statue kind of makes that apply though right?

jax (old)

Banned
@cartiridge. the series is about the people/story. UC2 was a hero's quest. I think the artefact becomes moot - in fact the message in 3; was pretty much that. fuck the treasure, quest. go for the relationship.

and getting to the cities have never really been about getting an artefact but about stopping evil.

which its all the better for.

LifEndz

Just finished the game today. Had so many games on my backlog that it took awhile to find time for this. Anyway, I read the first few pages of the thread and I agree with the sentiments of most people.

Talbot and Marlowe: I would've liked some more backsight on their relationship and who they are. I got more Cutter than I really wanted, and would have preferred more on them. Especially at the end when Talbot is all distraught after Marlowe dies.

Drake and Elena: Obviously these two love each other, and despite some very endearing moments between the two of them, it felt a little weird that there was never more than an embrace between the two of them. Not saying they needed to imply a love scene ala UC2 between Drake and Chole, but after Drake reconciles with her at the end of the game he simply hugs her? Felt a little off. Unless these two are against PDAs, why not cap everything off with a kiss between the two?

The action this time around was as good as ever. The airplane level was incredible. I literally screamed out loud when Drake fell out of the plane and grabbed that cargo with the parachute. The desert level was just long enough. Any longer and I would've been sick of it. Hope next time ND doesn't do the whole mythical city at the end. It's kinda lame at this point. Especially since these cities always seem to implode.

The hand to hand combat and enemy types needs an overhaul. As someone else said, the combat with the big guys was far too repetitive. The instance in the bar was cool, but after the fifth fight with a big it got kinda lame. Same thing for steel plate guy.

Overall, an okay Uncharted game is still better than most games. Hope ND takes what seems to be universal criticism to heart and makes some tweaks for the next game. Heck, just copy Arkham City's combat hand to hand combat system.

Seda

Probably answered a million times over, but how did Talbot survive getting shot? Simply a vest I guess?

Flipping through the thread....I guess it may have been a hallucination for Charlie ala Sully getting "killed" near the endgame? I guess that makes some sense.

Top Bottom