• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Rubin (Android co-founder) launches "modular" Essential phone (no 3.5mm jack)

It's one of those things people will complain about endlessly until they actually have to deal with it and then the day they get a phone without a port they'll realise it's a non issue. It's a glorified talking point. It's overemphasised.
Is it possible to charge a phone like that while using some wired headphones?

Really impressively odd hardware decisions, but I'm glad they're pushing into new territory with this. A friend of mine pre-ordered it today so hopefully it'll come out sometime in the next 10 years and we'll see how it is.

I don't really care about the headphone jack but I'd want to keep it if it's possible... It's just such a modular, backwards compatible port.

Are there *no* wired connections? That's what it sounds like... Like no USB/etc ports at all, it's all the magnetic snap thing? Pretty aggressive design idea, but weird.

I'm watching this one closely. I'm in the market for a new phone, I don't do Apple or Samsung because of the garbage bloatware on both...but missed the cycle on the Pixel.

So now I'm waiting out the summer on my old phone until I see what's up with the next pixel, but this is super interesting. But definitely not going to pre-order until we get some firm specs and carrier details.

I'm only interested in a phone that runs a pure android. So basically it was a Pixel until now. 3.5mm is a non-issue to me.

Ghazi

I like the concept (not the lack of 3.5mm), but the chances of this not taking off/going under seem too high to risk investing so much money into it.

gundalf

I'm watching this one closely. I'm in the market for a new phone, I don't do Apple or Samsung because of the garbage bloatware on both...but missed the cycle on the Pixel.

Not true, one of my favourite features of the iPhone is that you can uninstall all non-os apps.

linkboy

Really impressively odd hardware decisions, but I'm glad they're pushing into new territory with this. A friend of mine pre-ordered it today so hopefully it'll come out sometime in the next 10 years and we'll see how it is.

I don't really care about the headphone jack but I'd want to keep it if it's possible... It's just such a modular, backwards compatible port.

Are there *no* wired connections? That's what it sounds like... Like no USB/etc ports at all, it's all the magnetic snap thing? Pretty aggressive design idea, but weird.

It has a USB-C port.

I like the design of the phone, but there's no way I could afford it.

The Llama

Looks nice for sure and has good specs.

But I read the whole OP and still don't get what's supposed to make it stand out from every other high end Android phone.

Yeah. I read that part and was like "if this is $400 or $500 it could be cool".
But for $749 it's already part of the high end segment. I guess that with it being 128gb it is a bit cheaper than other flagship models but it's definitely still targeting "the few"

How I feel as well tbh. For <$500 I'd sell my S8 and buy one, even though I use the headphone jack a lot. But at that price? Lol.

I don't understand why 60% of the posts in this thread focus on the 3.5mm jack. This phone will fail with or without the jack.

This is Andy Rubin version of the Gopro karma. The jack doesn't matter.

The 3.55mm jack works for only headphones. Phones are small enough and designers are trying to find ways to make ports / other features multi-use. Makes sense to remove a feature that works for just your headphones and innovate.

Could've just put a USB-C port in it. that's gonna be universal soon.

All the stupid magnetic devices are going to work for this phone only though.

jstripes

Banned
Magnetically attached accessories are great... until you put your phone in a case.

Some of us still like to try to avoid cracked screens.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sounds.. Exactly like the pitch for previous modular phone ideas (which bombed), while simultaneously ignoring the benefits of limited SKUs on performance, optimization, and compatibility?

Modular phones are awesome in theory, but they've purely a hardware pursuit that is yet to married to a competitive firmware and software solution.

Slayven

Sounds.. Exactly like the pitch for previous modular phone ideas (which bombed), while simultaneously ignoring the benefits of limited SKUs on performance, optimization, and compatibility?

Modular phones are awesome in theory, but they've purely a hardware pursuit that is yet to married to a competitive firmware and software solution.

No one wants to carry a bunch of shit around for their phones.

I like the look, plus I dont use my phone's headphone jack. I'll probably pick it up in a couple years when the price shrinks to 2/3rds less.

Red

I'm really not understanding the logical reasoning for phones to do this, and then the people making comments like this. The 3.5mm jack is clearly something lots of people use, and people are rightfully upset when it's going away. Literally what does that accomplish by removing it?
It literally does not matter what complaints there are, this is the trend moving forward.

SRG01

A little late to the game considering that Moto/Lenovo have already used Moto Mods for about a year now and are releasing their second gen products very soon.

Red

They also announced some home automation hub thing that sounds interesting. I like the idea of everything running locally, but a custom OS and AI assistant from a startup has me skeptical.

https://www.essential.com/home
The focus on privacy is commendable. Too many smart home devices are insecure. But the overall function sounds a little too magical to be realistic. I still hope it approaches the "works with anything" promise.

Water

A phone better have an OLED display and be Daydream VR compatible for there to be any chance of me paying 500 euros or more for it.

louiedog

Good luck. I can't think of a worse place to be in than a newcomer in the already overcrowded thin-margin Android space.

It seems like a horrible idea, but Nextbit pulled it off with the Robin. Good phone at a good price. They made me believe it's possible.

Ambient80

Such a weird pitch. He says they wanna simplify things, but they're adding a bunch of modular pieces, that may or may not always be compatible with future versions, and will cost (I'm assuming) quite a bit. It's just... I dunno, just an odd premise.

From the pitch, you would have thought they were making their own OS too.

Realistically speaking, no one is going to be carrying around accessories for this, but could be a cool concept if they nail it, that first huge 360 degree camera isnt it tho...

Coreda

By 'modular' was expecting something to do with the internals being replaceable. Merely having universal, attachable accessories isn't that big a draw imo. If this supported long-term software updates (longer than the 1-3 years most Android phones offer), and wasn't made in some awful Chinese factory conditions it would stand out from other offerings. No 3.5mm jack isn't helping it though.

Interesting product vision but seemingly no real business plan attached to it. How do you get third parties to actually support this accessory ecosystem before having a reasonably substantial user base attached to it?

Rudin basically got sidelined at Google for wanting them to e.g. withhold Google Maps/Google Now features from iOS in order to grow Android marketshare (when it's the *services* Google makes money from, not an OS they deployed for strategic defensive reasons). That, too, felt like a failure to understand business strategy on Rudin's part.

Even if the third-party accessory market for this fails to appear, though, it seems like a pretty good Android flagship (the stuff they're doing with the camera, especially, is very nice). Rudin's a good product guy.

Elandyll

Banned
The result is Essential, and this is what we believe:

- Devices are your personal property. We won’t force you to have anything on them you don’t want to have.
- We will always play well with others. Closed ecosystems are divisive and outdated.
- Premium materials and true craftsmanship shouldn’t be just for the few.
- Devices shouldn’t become outdated every year. They should evolve with you.
- Technology should assist you so that you can get on with enjoying your life.
- Simple is always better.

And with that they arrive at a device with no jack, and $900 (promo $800!)

... Basically a luxury iphone.

Right.

And with that they arrive at a device with no jack, and $900 (promo $800!)

... Basically a luxury iphone.

Right.
It seems like that was written before the phone was created, not after. Premium materials, but no waterproof&#8203;. Tired of less options, but create a phone without the option of a headphone jack.

Modular phones don't even sound awesome in theory, because everything should be done thru bluetooth and wifi.

DOWN

Banned
No bezels sucks a bit imo. Your hands and fingers intrude in the image for most ways you'll be gripping the phone

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's one of those things people will complain about endlessly until they actually have to deal with it and then the day they get a phone without a port they'll realise it's a non issue. It's a glorified talking point. It's overemphasised.

You are wrong. Stop telling people what their opinion is.

From the pitch, you would have thought they were making their own OS too.

Realistically speaking, no one is going to be carrying around accessories for this, but could be a cool concept if they nail it, that first huge 360 degree camera isnt it tho...

There have been MANY 360 cameras from many different companies, some of them are even camera companies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
But it's true tho. Do tell what's the big problem without it

It is a needless decision with no true benefit that forces people to use a dongle to have a normal headphone jack. That is the problem. It doesn't require more detail.

If it doesn't bother you, that's great. It bothers other people, factually, and you are in no place to tell them they are wrong or lying.

It is a needless decision that requires a dongle to have a normal headphone jack, without any logical reasoning for getting rid of it, just for the sake of doing it. That is the problem.

If it doesn't bother you, that's great. It bothers other people, factually, and you are in no place to tell them they are wrong or lying.
I'm in no place to tell people anything yet u just stated there is no logical reasoning for getting rid of it? Do you work for Google and Apple? Do u think they thought hmm let's just remove a headphone jack for literally no reason at all. C'mon dude, it's future forethought.

No headphone jack is not a burden, anyone with an iPhone 7 will tell u this over and over again, u are just averse to change and can't admit it till 5-10 yrs u will be thinking "dang why did I even care about a headphone jack anyway" guaranteed.

Top Bottom