• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

The things you need to know from Iron Fist:

-Danny Rand is young, developmentally. He disappeared when he was 10, and has spent the rest of his life isolated from greater society. Maintains that 10-year-old impulsiveness and optimism (people are good, telling the truth is always the best way, etc). This is what gets him into the most trouble in the series.

-The Hand is made up of different sects, which sometimes war against each other in their beliefs of how best to achieve different goals.

-Madame Gao leads one of these sects.

-Colleen Wing used to recruit for The Hand, but then left them (with much fighting).

-Claire is learning to fight because she keeps winding up in situations against thugs and ninjae.
I gave up on the show halfway through too. Could you tell me what happened with the Meechums? What position Danny (and Colleen?) are in at the end of the season? Thanks.

The Hand is going to show up again for this right? That makes me a little worried because they were the worst part of Daredevil Season 2 and Iron Fist was bad.

hydruxo

I hope this is the last of The Hand.

That said, Papa Meachum has been the best part of Iron Fist.

I like Ward better just because he gave us this:

tumblr_onieb26PmG1vl7oxxo1_500.gif

I wonder what they will do with season 2 considering
the one thing that made the series great, Kilgrave, is dead.

Maybe they'll make season 2 more episodic. Separate the season into 3-4 mini arcs about various investigations. Jessica actually working as a PI should've been at least of season 1 with kilgrave sprinkled in.

styl3s

Can I jump into this if I haven't seen Iron Fist? That's the only series I haven't seen, I'm up to date on all the others.
If you've seen Daredevil just look up a recap of Iron Fist on youtube.

I'm pretty sure Defenders will have a catch up video before you start it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
6 hours until The Punisher teaser!

oh and Defenders season 1 too I guess :3

Trying to get through these last few Iron Fist episodes...Jesus. This is the only one of the Netflix Marvel shows I didn't finish in a couple of days.

Diamondback would not have been complete garbage if they didn't have him as the follow up to Cottonmouth. He'd still be garbage, yes, but at least we wouldn't have felt the sting of the juxtaposition.

LotusHD

Banned
the Diamondback hate is ridiculous here

His corny ass belonged on a different show, best thing I can say about him. The tone was already set by the time he showed up, and he just didn't fit that well. I mean, he was admittedly entertaining at times (Bye Felicia!), but overall, just... ugh.

His worst moments were probably the "I''m Luke Cage!" scene, as well as the fucking suit. God, I really hated that suit.

If the show had that kind of tone from the beginning, on some Black Dynamite shit, I probably would've liked him tbh

I could, but I feel like I need to see this nonsense through to the end.

image.php

Diamondback would not have been complete garbage if they didn't have him as the follow up to Cottonmouth. He'd still be garbage, yes, but at least we wouldn't have felt the sting of the juxtaposition.

Was just about to say this, he was walking in Cottonmouths gargantuan shadow. Dude had so much charisma and screen presence that it was a very tough act to follow for anyone.

I'd be pretty excited for Luke Cage going forward if Cottonmouth was still around.

shaowebb

Diamondback>>>>>>>Harold Meachum

LOL. Diamondback was the shit one liner character who shouldn't have been in season 1 of Luke Cage. Cotton mouth was just hitting grand slam potential of character interest with his past revealed and bam suddenly you get this comic book guy who just burns everything to the ground, has a "im yo brotha WANANA" crap angle to his character, no real explanation to how he got his armament/money/influence/and mass weapon production hookups, and he just gets away with bullshit and folks follow him for no damned reason.

Diamondback is garbage. Cotton Mouth all the way. Whole season should have been about Cotton mouth and Luke being too men taking their grudge too far and draggin not only each other but everyone in Harlem down into hell with them trying to put the other in their place.

LotusHD

Banned
LOL. Diamondback was the shit one liner character who shouldn't have been in season 1 of Luke Cage. Cotton mouth was just hitting grand slam potential of character interest with his past revealed and bam suddenly you get this comic book guy who just burns everything to the ground, has a "im yo brotha WANANA" crap angle to his character, no real explanation to how he got his armament/money/influence/and mass weapon production hookups, and he just gets away with bullshit and folks follow him for no damned reason.

Diamondback is garbage. Cotton Mouth all the way.

Lmao this, I swear the dude stole Cottonmouth's men rather than have any of his own other than Shades. Sized him up as this big criminal you do not want to fuck with, but other than him being crazy, I didn't really get that impression.

Why they didn't let Mariah be the villain for the 2nd half (Or of course, just keep CM), I'll never know.

shaowebb

Lmao this, I swear the dude stole Cottonmouth's men rather than have any of his own other than Shades. Sized him up as this big criminal you do not want to fuck with, but other than him being crazy, I didn't really get that impression.

Why they didn't let Mariah be the villain for the 2nd half (Or of course, just keep CM), I'll never know.

Yeah, Cottonmouth shoulda stayed. Mariah was great and better built than Diamondback too IMO. Dude had an outfit so fuckin dumb even the other cast had to call him out on that shit in the final fight. I woulda just used an arms dealer bleeding Cottonmouth dry as his entire role this season so that when the season ended and it was time to collect Cottonmouth could be cleaned out and his operation absorbed by the man with the guns known as Diamondback that he owed and couldn't pay. Hell you coulda worked in Mariah setting it up for that when she saw she couldn't stop Cottonmouth's feud with Luke as a means to take the reigns and eliminate this guy from ruining her life just to win against Luke. It'd make for a huge power struggle in seasons 2 of her thinking she got control, Cottonmouth in jail thinking he maybe protected Mariah by taking the fall and letting Diamondback have control so he wouldn't kill her not knowing she betrayed him, and Diamondback in charge and unstoppable leaving Mariah with the dawning realization she made her life worse and that she needs to get cottonmouth back somehow without letting him know she betrayed him to Diamondback...the man she wants him to get rid of for her now.

At least then you could've spent a season answering in plausible ways where all the power, influence, weapons, and connections that Diamondback has come from. Also could've built him into a real character instead of resorting to having to just shove in stereotypical brother angles and as many one liners and action hero moments as possible to try and make him seem tough and scary.

Fucking waste of a great second half of a season scenario. Cottonmouth and Mariah were robbed.

aly

Honestly he was awful. The building up to when he suits up against Luke was just bad. I think of all the villians so far Kingpin was the best.

Remember the part where he shot Luke into a garbage truck and let them escape for some reason? He was awful.

I watched three and a half episodes of Iron Fist while waiting for this and that show is MYSTIFYING.

The writers obviously cared, there are interesting plot points, but the editing is so bad and nobody has any idea how to make any of it compelling. There are so many ways it could have been good to the point where it feels like raw incompetence as opposed to low effort.

Top Bottom