• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

Luminaire

Joined a pool at work, I expect nothing. Out of 35 of us, only 12 pitched in. Would be funny if we won somehow and just ditched the place. Alas, dreams.

Yeah, I probably play more often than is wise but even then it's one shots on the state lottery when it's big enough, and these when they're getting north of 300 million and are practically events at this point. And hell, I got about $45 once, that's something.

EDIT: Ok, how many of you are even serious about hooker shenanigans? That just sounds like one of those rich asshole stereotypes, but does anyone here, or at least many of you, actually want to live out that stereotype?

Absolutely. I want high class pretty party girls (and guys) to twerk in my mansion

Compbros

Don't you get more for installments than lump sum as that money is taxed less? Also, giving people money gets taxed heavily so giving people 25 million you may end up paying, like, 7 mil in taxes on top of that.

Don't you get more for installments than lump sum as that money is taxed less? Also, giving people money gets taxed heavily so giving people 25 million you may end up paying, like, 7 mil in taxes on top of that.

The annulments are a scam. It's over like 30 years and if you die they keep the rest

Mirado

Long as you're not in your 50s or above you should be fine.

Edit: the real question is how many years must you collect before it's a net positive opposed to the lump sum

The real question is if could you beat out the annuity by taking the lump sum and investing it correctly. Here's a part of my all time favorite reddit post, which goes into great detail on what you should probably do if you win:

Most lotteries pay a really pathetic rate for the annuity. It usually hovers around 4.5% annual return or less, depending. It doesn't take much to do better than this, and if you have the money already in cash, rather than leaving it in the hands of the state, you can pull from the capital whenever you like. If you take the annuity you won't have access to that cash. That could be good. It could be bad. It's probably bad unless you have a very addictive personality. If you need an allowance managed by the state, it is because you didn't listen to point #1 above.
Why not let the state just handle it for you and give you your allowance?
Many state lotteries pay you your "allowence" (the annuity option) by buying U.S. treasury instruments and running the interest payments through their bureaucracy before sending it to you along with a hunk of the principal every month. You will not be beating inflation by much, if at all. There is no reason you couldn't do this yourself, if a low single-digit return is acceptable to you.

It also explains, in somewhat disturbingly great detail, just how unfortunate winning the lottery can be, as nearly a third of all winners go bankrupt, your homicide chance shoots up like twenty times, and son on.

...With that being said, I still bought a ticket because, just like the post I linked, it's fun to take a few minutes to fantasize about what would happen if you really did win. That's worth $5 every now and then.

Zyzyxxz

Well its nice to fantasize once in awhile but if I did win I'd probably leave the country to travel for an extended period of time.

read this on wiki, amusing

The Powerball drawing on March 30, 2005 produced 110 second-prize winners. The total payout to these winners was $19.4 million, with 89 winners receiving $100,000 each, while the other 21 winners received $500,000 each as they were Power Play selections.

MUSL officials initially suspected fraud or a reporting error. However, all 110 winners had played numbers from fortune cookies made by Wonton Food Inc. of Long Island City, New York. The factory had printed the numbers "22, 28, 32, 33, 39, 40" on thousands of fortunes. The "40" in the fortune did not match the Powerball number, 42.

Drazgul

The annulments are a scam. It's over like 30 years and if you die they keep the rest

Dunno about annulments, but the annuity option is transferable if original winner dies before it's fully paid out.

What happens to an annuity prize if the winner dies?
If a jackpot winner dies before receiving all annual installments, the balance of the prize will be paid to the winner's estate. Upon receipt of a court order, annual prize payments will continue to be paid to the winner's heirs. Other provisions may also apply depending on the laws of the lottery paying the prize.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'll be getting my tickets tomorrow.

I have to ask though.... what would you all do if you won the lotto?

>Setup my immediate family to live a good life
>buy a beachside house on or near the PNW coast
>smoke weed everyday, taking in the view from the rear of my house
>paint
>play vidyagames
>pimp out the kitchen and cook all the crazy shit I've dreamed of making that I've seen on YT
>when the hurge hits pack up and travel whenever I want on my motorcycle, photojournaling my travels with my sweet ass Digital Leica

The End

bunbun777

I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

No but seriously I'd invest into the local community, urban gardens so everyone that wanted to contribute could.

sarcastor

>play vidyagames
>pimp out the kitchen and cook all the crazy shit I've dreamed of making that I've seen on YT
>when the hurge hits pack up and travel whenever I want on my motorcycle, photojournaling my travels with my sweet ass Digital Leica

pretty much this except i would have multiple homes on multiple coasts of multiple countries. also I would be driving around in my 2013 Miata hardtop convertible and shooting with my Hasselblad or some other ridiculous camera I don't know how to use :)

Yes i could buy a Ferrari or Bugatti but I wouldn't want people to know I'm rich. Duh

shaowebb

Good luck everyone. If I win, I will keep some promises I've made here and there to myself over the years. Only one you've probably heard me say is from years ago. I believe hard work should be rewarded...that said I don't see how no publisher has acknowledged the work and degree of success and support that Lab Zero earned with their efforts from the gaming world by either funding full roster Skullgirls or licensing them to make a fighter for them. If I win tonight...Skullgirls full roster will get funded. I think they proved themselves and should've already had someone approach them for this.

After bills and doing some important family/friend stuff of course ;)

Dishwalla

Banned
Got my ticket. Honestly hoping more to win one of the smaller $1 million prizes, have a better shot at that(though still not a good one), and a mil is more than enough. But hey, I won't complain much if I win the jackpot.

Seventy70

>smoke weed everyday, taking in the view from the rear of my house
>paint
>play vidyagames

The End
Let's be honest, you'd be depressed and on GAF within a month.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Let's be honest, you'd be depressed and on GAF within a month.

The resultant "I have $500,000,000 and I'm still depressed" thread would be epic though. Which would spiral into some weird ass Great Gatsby hijinks. NeoGAF parties. I'd pay blamespace to DJ.

dbztrk

If I won, I would pay off all my debt and buy a beautiful brownstone.

EDIT: Also, if anyone in this thread wins, can you give me 100k. I just need to pay off my mortgage.

Thanks.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can you still buy a ticket for this? I might try my luck. My lowball offer on a house got accepted against all odds, so why not.

Joined a pool at work, I expect nothing. Out of 35 of us, only 12 pitched in. Would be funny if we won somehow and just ditched the place. Alas, dreams.

Prepare to get sued by those 23 people if you win, that always happens in office pools with people who don't pitch in.

I'd probably get bored by the end of my trip across the world tbh
I'd just look for investments and live out my life on a beach in Malibu

Played quite a few with the fam last saturday and got two powerplay powerball tickets, so it was like $32 in winnings. But used around $40 overall so :/

Gl GAF!

My work banned the work pool right after the last big Powerball last year (I think), probably for the very reason you stated you would do if you won.

Office would be ghost town.

Cilla

I always wish I could win the lotto. I'd buy a penthouse apartment and then just live in my underwear and eat pizza. I wouldn't use much money other than the apartment so I'd probably give a lot away!

Woo-Fu

Banned
We all know we'd go to our Instagram "booty pics" folder and begin calling up some *cough* models.

Shit, nobody would hear from me ever again. Put most of it in the bank, 30% of it in the hands of a company I trusted to invest it, then I'd be sailing until I died.

That's the one thing I'd buy, freedom. That's why they call it "Fuck You" money.

CSJ

The things I'd do.... or not do.
Periods of just gaming and others doing high adrenaline stuff!

All dreams, forever dreams :(

Anarion07

3 Tickets.
If I win, everyone in this thread can have 2k.

edit: 2 bucks a play?
In Germany (via lottoland) 1 ticket is 7 €

Anarion07

Screenshot saved. No taking it back later!

Oh I won't take that back.

The fun thing about playing the lottery in germany is that you pay no taxes.
BUT
lottoland (where i play) states in its Terms and Conditions that if you win a US lottery, they will keep roughly 30% of the winnings to "have the winner in the same financial state as if he played in the US".

They are so nice not to overburden us.

dramatis

Anybody else not want anybody to win for this drawing and the next couple just to see how high the pot can go?

I'm in that basket of weird curiosity lol

Top Bottom