• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking into the gaming industry is hard...

I kinda understand it.

I write reviews for local gaming sites and newspapers for already five years now and founded a videogame magazine three years ago. At first I was with a gaming site, then I founded my own and gave it to the other founder and now I just freelance.

I tried to contact the big American gaming outlets if they are interested in opening a spanish site or section and sent my portafolio with screenshots and links to my online articles and scans of my magazines articles.

Of course I didn't get any replies :(

This is disheartening because a lot of the advice here consists of "give away your work for free."

Working for free is not a panacea. It's a trap.

There are people who will gladly exploit you. They will ask you to work for free but wouldn't go two seconds without being paid. And now, people have come to expect that working for nothing (outside the boundaries of a supervised internship) is acceptable.

If you want to work on personal projects, that's absolutely fine. I got multiple jobs in the game industry by writing speculative scripts. But do not cheapen yourself or devalue the work of professionals -- many of whom have to fight to be paid a reasonable wage for their efforts -- by giving your time and effort away for nothing.

This. A huge reason most game writing is terrible is there are a ton of people willing to work for next to nothing just to "break in" ... who then get exploited and are soon in over their heads, writing on a crunch at the mercy of their Project Manager who cares more about deadlines than quality.

Great studios know the value of good writing and actually hire outside writers from comics and tv who bring actual skills.

Most studios just see a kid with a blog willing to work for minimum who can crank out lines of stale copy just to get experience ... until they get enough that they can earn more but quickly get replaced by the next kid with a blog who can barely write.

Most QA positions in other tech industries are closer to software dev/engineering roles than the usual QA tester role in gaming. Positions like QA Engineer or Software Development Engineer in Test, and they have much much higher salaries. There are QA Engineers in gaming, but those typically aren't the bulk of game QA teams.

True to an extent. There are still Quality Assurance positions that are very much like QA Tester positions in the industry. And those companies have much better work-life balance compared to QA in the game industry where crunch is a thing, moreso for testers as any game they are working on is towards the end of development.

AT&T is down the street from our building and many other game companies around here where I work. AT&T picks off people from here and many other gaming companies around to do what they do now but with AT&T and they get paid $25 an hour starting. I still talk to these other testers on a regular basis.

element

Most QA positions in other tech industries are closer to software dev/engineering roles than the usual QA tester role in gaming. Positions like QA Engineer or Software Development Engineer in Test, and they have much much higher salaries. There are QA Engineers in gaming, but those typically aren't the bulk of game QA teams.
That is because companies still largely adhoc their testing. It is shocking to talk with studios and you ask about 'what is your test plan?' and the answer is 'play it...'. You will always need some level of adhoc, but getting SDET or someone with an understanding of software development is an important first step.

I don't hate it and I'm grateful for where I'm at.
Hate is a strong word, but at the end of the day it is still a job and there are mornings where you don't want to go to work. Especially when going into your fourth month of crunch.

But in your case OP, you want to break into the media part of the industry, which is a much harder thing to do.
I wouldn't say it is harder, but you do have to be WAY more open to who you work with. Again, there are AAA games, shoestring indie game, big indie games, mobile games and so on. One project might be an indie game that no one will ever play and the next could be a huge hit. You have to be proactive to get work, do a good job, and then go back to get more. With any freelance type job you are going to have projects that mean more to you, but if you are only looking for those projects you going to be disappointed more often than not. The one thing that is a positive and negative of the industry is it is so tight. Do a trailer for one indie game, do a good job, and when someone asks them 'who did you use for your trailer?' you get recommended and you build a reputation for doing good work and go from there.

Hate is a strong word, but at the end of the day it is still a job and there are mornings where you don't want to go to work. Especially when going into your fourth month of crunch.

Every job has those days. But in the end of the day, I remind myself that I work in games and not as a CPA or something that I personally would dread. I have days where the topics would be absolutely insane to talk about in other professions so I can’t complain too much.

But some people in here claim that it’s a sure fire way to absolutely hate games and I honestly disagree. Some may have that feeling and leave the industry but I think that may be at specific companies or due to the work style they chose

element

Every job has those days. But in the end of the day, I remind myself that I work in games and not as a CPA or something that I personally would dread. I have days where the topics would be absolutely insane to talk about in other professions so I can’t complain too much.

But some people in here claim that it’s a sure fire way to absolutely hate games and I honestly disagree. Some may have that feeling and leave the industry but I think that may be at specific companies or due to the work style they chose
I know when I left the game industry I could play games without taking mental notes while playing.

I'd always throw studios off during interviews when they ask 'what type of games do you play?' and I'd answer sports games which had nothing to do with what I've worked on. But they were a genre that I could just 'turn off' and enjoy. I still played all the big games, but it was harder to turn off my work brain while playing.

Is the game industry great and do I feel fortunate to have made it a career? Sure. But I do feel like I have made other sacrifices in life that friends in other industries didn't have to make. Something as simple as a vacation is something that I could always afford to go but never took due to the schedule or internal pressure 'we really need you here'. Three months into my first job out of games I jokingly said I was thinking of going on a trip daydream style and my boss pushed me to go with the 'that is what vacation time is for! going on vacation!'.

gattsu

Unfortunately this is like any creative industry. Try film, art, comedy, music. Entertainment and creative industries inherently aren't as societally needed as, say, food production, shipping and transportation, telecommunications, medicine, and not to mention ALL the technically skilled jobs that link these and other industries together. Sales, marketing, engineers, server infrastructure and maintenance, distributed connectivity with your customers. Aka, "boring stuff".

I love art. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a creative writer. Some people wanna draw. Play games. Tell stories. Or, at the very least, be involved in THOSE industries. Supply is high, because why wouldn't it be? It's in our nature to want to do these things. I think it's culturally important. But art and entertainment? It's a nice-to-have, a bonus that complements our human desire for culture. It isn't the backbone of our society. And as a result, the demand is low.

Now, with that framework - and I'm sure you realize this - creative industries don't owe you shit. They don't owe anyone shit. Sometimes only the best survive. Sometimes it's pure luck. But you go out there and bust your ass, give it 100%. *Your hard work will pay off*. It will not be fun or easy. It might take years. Certain people have to fight for a decade to get their break. You might hate yourself. You're going to have to break out of your comfort zone and network with everyone you've ever met. You're gonna have to hustle 24/7. Dedicate every fiber of your being and desire into this goal. But that might be what it takes, because you know what? There's 10 other guys or girls out there trying harder than you. And they might get that break first. You are disposable, and have to prove to the world you are worth half a shit.

Same could be said for anyone wanting to be an artist, graphic designer, writer, journalist, music producer, photographer. OR involved in those industries. Good luck OP! Keep at it! Good things happen to people with the passion to persevere.

I know when I left the game industry I could play games without taking mental notes while playing.

I'd always throw studios off during interviews when they ask 'what type of games do you play?' and I'd answer sports games which had nothing to do with what I've worked on. But they were a genre that I could just 'turn off' and enjoy. I still played all the big games, but it was harder to turn off my work brain while playing.

Is the game industry great and do I feel fortunate to have made it a career? Sure. But I do feel like I have made other sacrifices in life that friends in other industries didn't have to make. Something as simple as a vacation is something that I could always afford to go but never took due to the schedule or internal pressure 'we really need you here'. Three months into my first job out of games I jokingly said I was thinking of going on a trip daydream style and my boss pushed me to go with the 'that is what vacation time is for! going on vacation!'.

I feel like that is self inflicted in regards to playing other games. I’m not going to dissect other work. I may notice something but I’m not going to spend my mindshare criticizing internally other people’s work. If I don’t like it, I don’t play it and move on. I may mention something is harder than I like but that’s about it. That was their vision and that was what they aimed for.

I still enjoy everything I do want to play which is great.

Every Job asks more from you in certain ways and I think it varies by studio on when you can take time off or work your ass off. I have been in both situations and just moved on to a new place if it didn’t fit the mold I expect. Good studios/Publishers don’t kill their employees 24/7. I’ve had many vacations. I feel like going to events at times and working them is a vacation as I see close industry friends etc.

QA more desperately needs people who actually want to do it and not see it as a stepping stone. Too many people come in and don't do an antiquate job because it's not something they are passionate about or something that they put a whole lot of effort into.

people use qa as a stepping stone cause of low pay. the job is really simple and most developers probably don't care about a lot of the bugs that come there way -- or they do and they just are meh about it. you want people to be passionate about a minimum wage job?

My advice OP. Open your own firm. Freelance or contract out work. Go to conventions (gdc,pax, rtx, etc) and network your ass off. Maybe you will find work with indies, webcomics, artists, musicians and build a portfolio. Maybe this doesnt lead you to getting a job in the industry but it may create a full time career.

And never work for free..

balohna

For breaking into the game industry sideways with other industry experience... I think film and TV shouldn't be too hard from what I know. Plenty of people from animation end up as game artists. Not sure on the more clerical or financial side.

I work in games. My journey was 2 years of "game design school", 7 years of QA, then luck and preparation convening into a design position at a cool studio. Which I then had to leave because they had me on contract and didn't have headcount for full time employees. I'm working elsewhere now and it's all good, but sucks I couldn't just stay there.

Anyway, yeah it's a rough road and you'll get fucked around and fucked over a lot. Some people land their dream job right away and stay there, but it's not the norm. Even if you're amazing, companies need to be hiring and willing to take on the risks involved with someone inexperienced. QA is definitely the best foot in the door.

element

people use qa as a stepping stone cause of low pay. the job is really simple and most developers probably don't care about a lot of the bugs that come there way -- or they do and they just are meh about it. you want people to be passionate about a minimum wage job?
bull shit.

1. QA is not a 'really simple' job unless you are talking about 100% mindless adhoc testing. Embedded testing takes strategic planning, staffing, tools management, scheduling. Would you say QA on medical devices is 'really simple'? How about cell phones? Cell phone apps?

2. Devs DO care about bugs test write up. Devs can't test all the scenarios something is implemented. Either it is a bad animation. A wrong fx being fired. A corrupted sound cue. Not to mention the countless hardware related issues.

Devs rely on QA. You make it sound like there is no use for QA outside of banging on a keyboard or controller and games or any software just magically work and THIS is why QA is viewed as a stepping stone position with low wages.

I feel like that is self inflicted in regards to playing other games. I'm not going to dissect other work. I may notice something but I'm not going to spend my mindshare criticizing internally other people's work. If I don't like it, I don't play it and move on.
criticizing and industry analysis are two different things IMO. Seeing how someone builds a level to better understand how they built it so you can build a level for your current game or next game. I don't go to playing games and taking notes 'Uncharted 4 sucked because XYZ'.

scitek

I'm going to assume the problem is while you're passionate about games, you are not passionate about doing whatever it takes to get into games.

Guilty. I used to save up and pay for trips to E3 and such in hopes of getting some attention, but then I got a full-time job. At first, I thought, "hey, it's TV! It's video production! You'll love it!" Then I realized it's incredibly limited creatively, and it's just not a good fit for me.

Unfortunately, there's also a lot I either won't, or can't, do to get in the industry, and yeah, that's on me. However, my point was that it's hard to break into the industry, and that's just kind of highlights it... Rarely do you hear of people just applying and being hired, you seemingly have to be willing to either give up everything and start from the bottom -- regardless of what relevant experience you may have in other industries -- put a lot of your own free time in to prove you're capable of doing the job, OR just luck into it somehow.

I've met tons of people who work on these that had no prior game experience, but hustle to get doors open.

Build spec trailers and use them in a portfolio.
Look for business EVERYWHERE! You can't expect to land Destiny 2, but between mobile, indies and other entertainment properties, you can find work.
Network. You might have to take a job or two that doesn't pay well, but it can help with your portfolio. There are tons of studios out there looking for content that don't do content because they don't think they can afford it.
Go to events like PAX and GDC and talk to people about what you can offer them.
Cold email people. Find 10 indie developers that you find interesting and email them.
Promote your portfolio on every job board/marketplace around! videopixie, veed.me, Dribbble, Fiverr, Easle, Cloudpeeps, People Per Hour and on.

You've made several excellent contributions to this thread, thank you for them. I've read your posts here for years and really appreciate the advice.

Have you tried doing it on YouTube in hopes someone would notice ?

I did content on YouTube for a few years, amassed a few hundred subscribers, but nothing came of it. It helped me cut my teeth, get familiarized with writing copy, recording voice-overs, editing to music, pacing...all things that I now use every day at work.

Not even close. TV and film is much much easier to get into. I've worked in it for over 16yrs and have never been able to land a gaming industry job - despite having worked on billion dollar movies.

That's discouraging! But yeah, I have some friends who make indie films, and they wouldn't bother with gaming.

You're only as good as your current demo reel. And most companies can cherry pick - you have to show them that they need you. Nobody will hire you cause you're a nice guy.

This is true. I actually landed an interview last year with a big AAA developer, and the guy who makes their trailers was very intense. Talking about Hollywood being the competition, and 12+ hour days replaying one section of a game for "that one special shot." I found out due to a law in that state, I'd only be able to work for 8 months, then I'd have to find work elsewhere for the next 8 months before I'd be eligible to return. I couldn't afford to do that. :(

If there's a field I wouldn't ever want to work in, it's videogames.

And I say that as someone who spent his entire life playing games. It's cutthroat, it's unstable and it's likely to suck the fun out of a great hobby. Besides, you're never ever going to work on the games you love and instead will be cutting trailers for IAP touch fruit puzzles for iOS.

I've thought about it, believe me. One of the areas I've been looking at is esports video production. I don't play multiplayer games, so what I play at home would be significantly different from what I work on. Just an idea.

Wait, am I misreading the OP, or does that person have little to no experience with video?

I have 15 years of experience with Adobe Premiere, am workmanlike with After Effects, and I have several years experience with Avid and Final Cut Pro, as well. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

From what I can gather, OP has:
Writing skills (editing? news? editorial? feature?)
Marketing skills (digital? traditional?)

By writing, I meant copy writing, as in scripts. I work on both commercials for broadcast TV and radio, and ads for Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.

And honestly, I really enjoy making trailers. I love cutting video to music. It's how I approach all of my TV work (audio first), and it's one of my biggest strengths as an editor.

Then there are the lucky ones who end up employed at an editing house that happens to have game companies as major clients. I know some who took this route.

I've considered this route. I'm not very familiar with post-houses, and how to find work at them, sadly. I assumed most places farm their stuff out, but I also know a few have in-house teams.

I don't even know what the OP is aiming for. So let's say he wants to do marketing, as per his OP.

So like, traditional marketing, I assume? I mean, they are right in the sense that marketing a town hall meeting in a interesting fashion isn't comparable to a game. One of them is a product, with sales attached. Metrics and shit are obviously involved, testing, etc. Deep dives of research, and probably working with the digital team, which is more or less the majority for most games (because that's what marketing is moving towards). Maybe you should look into digital marketing, like SEO, social media, and such?

I think my point was that games have an inherent marketable hook, city council meetings don't. I've been trained to find interesting aspects in anything, no matter how mundane, and play them up for marketing purposes. I feel it's a useful skill that transcends the news industry, and can be applied practically anywhere.

Try breaking into the music biz bruh

No thanks!

After thinking about it more you need to make the decision OP, are you looking for a 'job' or a 'gig'?

Doing trailers, BTS, Dev Diaries aren't something that most companies afford to have someone full-time on staff to do (a job), so it is typically freelance work (a gig).

Because these are freelance they are largely built on networking and proper self-marketing. Not going to a jobs page and applying and crossing your fingers hoping you get it.

I'd prefer a job. I suppose the rarity of such a position feeds into why it's so hard for me, specifically, to break into the industry.

I would love to see that reel, and commision prices, if you do those. Eventually I'll need a trailer for my own game, although I'm on a shoestring budget... :D

In general, I think dropping by the indie development thread and offering your services there might be a pretty good idea, no?

I'm really not trying to promote myself (seriously!), but I can send you some links to things I've done in the past. I definitely should stop by the indie thread and get to know people, though. I'd LOVE to contribute in any way I can to projects on the horizon.

My advice OP. Open your own firm. Freelance or contract out work. Go to conventions (gdc,pax, rtx, etc) and network your ass off. Maybe you will find work with indies, webcomics, artists, musicians and build a portfolio. Maybe this doesnt lead you to getting a job in the industry but it may create a full time career.

And never work for free..

Great advice, I'll definitely look into it on the side, if nothing else.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, here's a trailer for DOOM I made for fun last year. I don't have a ton of time to work on stuff like this now since we're ramping up for the end of the year at my day-to-day, but I enjoy doing it when I can.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Was part of it on the journalism side for many years. Still do it casually just because I enjoy talking about games. But man it is tough.

When I finally got my first pax badge I was thrilled but man was it a lot of work networking with publishers. Some of them are understandably extremely picky.

scitek

These are a couple years old at this point, but I (coincidentally) helped create a video series called Breaking Into the Gaming Industry. Has a lot of interviews from industry professionals at Hi-Rez Studios talking about how they made it in gaming. Could be helpful!

https://www.hirezstudios.com/breaking-in/

Thanks! Very cool! I'm actually from Atlanta (currently live in St Louis), and Hi-Rez is a place I applied at recently. Got rejected. :( Lol

Yusaku

It's not what you know, it's you know. Try and make some industry connections. Go to GDC, etc. Do some work with indie/upcoming devs to get a portfolio.

Wallach

bull shit.

1. QA is not a 'really simple' job unless you are talking about 100% mindless adhoc testing. Embedded testing takes strategic planning, staffing, tools management, scheduling. Would you say QA on medical devices is 'really simple'? How about cell phones? Cell phone apps?

2. Devs DO care about bugs test write up. Devs can't test all the scenarios something is implemented. Either it is a bad animation. A wrong fx being fired. A corrupted sound cue. Not to mention the countless hardware related issues.

Devs rely on QA. You make it sound like there is no use for QA outside of banging on a keyboard or controller and games or any software just magically work and THIS is why QA is viewed as a stepping stone position with low wages.

criticizing and industry analysis are two different things IMO. Seeing how someone builds a level to better understand how they built it so you can build a level for your current game or next game. I don't go to playing games and taking notes 'Uncharted 4 sucked because XYZ'.

To be fair, not a lot of people understand QA, especially on the consumer end. But even within the industry you have types that don't work as closely with QA and really have no fucking idea what goes on top to bottom in that department.

So...

You aren’t an LD. Nor are you a designer. You held marketing and social media positions and at times you held associate producer roles or contracted producer positions.

Why are you going into games analyzing how they built a world so you can build a better world when you have never built one yourself? Just curious on this mentality.

I don’t do any design work. I’ve helped with production bits as have you but I damn well know a designer HATES when a producer pushes their opinion on design decisions especialy onto those who are experts at that craft. That’s a good way of making some good enemies internally anywhere. I can understand stating an opinion or idea here and there but not a critical analysis of a level.

When I helped those production roles, I focused on roadmaps and coordinating the greater team to delivering by specific milestones and getting tasks aligned. I don’t go into games thinking ... “man, I hope they did a strong social campaign off of this level” or “WOW, so many art assets here, I wonder how many JIRA tasks the art team had for environmental pieces in this one map”

So why are you doing this to yourself if your own relevant experience hasn’t been that? Just seems self inflicted dread of never getting your mind off something you enjoy. This brings me back to my original comment that many people in the industry just don’t feel that way but the notion among many hear at GAF is that it is the status quo. It just simply isn’t and these stories bubble up and become the highlight of the story unfortunately.

(I should note that I totally understand a designer maybe thinking this ... but why you?)

bull shit.

I LOVE how you call bullshit and ask "do you really think it's that simple?" then list off actually difficult things to test that require planning (that aren't in the realm of game QA) just to make a point. Even you must have seen it.

Also, yeah, I've done QA. Had plenty of friends to QA at EA (OK, not EA a contractor of EA but in the EA building). It's not a difficult job. It's very simple.

finalflame

Gold Member
It's not all who you know, but the particular set of skills you possess and if gaming companies are in need of them. Truth is, if you're not an engineer, it's even harder and you better be really good at what you do.

But yah, it's hard.

element

Why are you going into games analyzing how they built a world so you can build a better world when you have never built one yourself? Just curious on this mentality.
Because I have built them and I don't want to be the asshole producer or lead talking to a designer saying "well why can't you just do it this way?" with no comprehension of what I'm asking. Designers hate it when a producer doesn't know the difference between a prefab, a navmesh or a trigger volume, but tells a designer what to do because that is what JIRA tells them to do. I'm not a level designer by trade, but that doesn't stop me from understanding how all the parts work, which largely comes from my test background. Additionally, I have worked in studios where you have to contribute even if it isn't your direct job title. Example, I've built trailers in Unreal and did all the After Effects work myself. As well as worked on Blueprints and other minor level bugs.

The other is general competition and market analysis. Being aware of general trends in games, which is totally applies to my current job because I have to help promote the product and we want to make something marketable. So I do work with designers on various ideas and concepts either it be playtesting, market research. Things like the integration a feature like photo modes, Twitch integration, as well as even middleware usage are all things I look for because those are either trends or potential opportunities from a promotional standpoint.

Good that you can wipe your hands clean, some of us in any position don't think that way.

I LOVE how you call bullshit and ask "do you really think it's that simple?" then list off actually difficult things to test that require planning (that aren't in the realm of game QA) just to make a point. Even you must have seen it.

Also, yeah, I've done QA. Had plenty of friends to QA at EA (OK, not EA a contractor of EA but in the EA building). It's not a difficult job. It's very simple.
Because honestly, software is software. Games if anything are just as complicated or more so than the things I listed. They do require planning. Again, adhoc testing can only get you so far with games today.

Why does someone in QA at a website company get more respect than someone who tests games? Is testing websites any easier or harder? How about an iOS app? How is that any different?

So I guess games should just ditch test plans, test cases, automation testing, might as well get rid of bug databases since testing is so easy and developers don't really care about what testers write up. I mean they get it right the first time, so why should games even have QA then.

Also, yeah, I've done QA. Had plenty of friends to QA at EA (OK, not EA a contractor of EA but in the EA building) It's not a difficult job. It's very simple.

Sorry. You may have just proved his point.

Contracted QA at Publishers are usually just people thrown at tasks while embedded QA at studios is a much more grueling process.

We’ve used contracted QA from publishers to do some of the more standard tasks and relied heavily on a smaller but more skilled internal QA team for so much more. Even on the first party side, we would have specific QA individuals that would be given a larger plateful of tasks and work compared to some of the contracted guys we had internally. Those individuals usually ended up being leads and were the best candidates for AP positions that would eventually be open at later dates.

He’s also done QA in his lifetime so he does know what he’s talking about so I wouldn’t discredit him immediately.

Because I have built them and I don't want to be the asshole producer or lead talking to a designer saying "well why can't you just do it this way?" with no comprehension of what I'm asking. Designers hate it when a producer doesn't know the difference between a prefab, a navmesh or a trigger volume, but tells a designer what to do because that is what JIRA tells them to do. I'm not a level designer by trade, but that doesn't stop me from understanding how all the parts work, which largely comes from my test background. Additionally, I have worked in studios where you have to contribute even if it isn't your direct job title. Example, I've built trailers in Unreal and did all the After Effects work myself. As well as worked on Blueprints and other minor level bugs.

The other is general competition and market analysis. Being aware of general trends in games, which is totally applies to my current job because I have to help promote the product and we want to make something marketable. So I do work with designers on various ideas and concepts either it be playtesting, market research. Things like the integration a feature like photo modes, Twitch integration, as well as even middleware usage are all things I look for because those are either trends or potential opportunities from a promotional standpoint.

Good that you can wipe your hands clean, some of us in any position don't think that way.

Agree with everything you say here. I know the ins and outs of building things in UE and know the ins and outs of matinee and what not for trailer purposes. Always great to know those things so you aren’t a person making rambling requests. But I also know when to just not think about those things and have them ruin a passion I enjoy. I understand that you can’t wipe your hands clean but my original comment was that it is a self inflicted thing which you challenged but now don’t. That is the main reason why I’m confused. Hopefully you don’t dread playing other game types due to the above stuff. Can’t burn yourself out that way :)

Rip. Double post. Thanks terrible airplane WiFi.

DaniSF

Neo Member
If you want to do marketing....why don't you do marketing?

Find an indie dev with a game that has been out for a year or something....go "I'll market this, but new sales I get 30% of new sales for the next 1-3 months".

Then market the crap out of it and track your performance.

Do that a couple times and then, if you have proven you can actually do stuff, approach a bigger company (like devolver or some other publisher) and show them what you have been doing.

Anyone can talk a good game about how passionate they are and how good they are and all that....but people who actually just get up and do what they say? That is rare.

BTW, if you can't even market yourself (which includes networking)...then how the heck are you going to market something else?

Could be worse.

I've been writing about games for close to a decade. Hell, I wrote over a hundred reviews last year. It feels like I did fuckall. I'm still a nobody with zero opportunities or contacts.

Now I'm staring into the abyss wondering if I was ever a good writer in the first place.
At least games are still fun.

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
For years, I tried to break into the marketing side of gaming, specifically video (trailers, Dev diaries, etc). Unfortunately, I lacked professional experience, so I found work in TV instead (local news). I spent the past few years making ads for everything from investigations to contests in a couple of big American markets, but it's starting to take a toll on my health. The subject matter is so negative, if you don't have that journalistic drive, it becomes a real burden after a while.

Due to this, I now find myself again wanting to work in gaming, and over the past year, I've tried to make the transition. I've had a couple of close calls with huge companies -- one series of interviews spanned a month and cost me 6 hours of time for a rejection -- but whereas before the knock against me was a general lack of experience, the main knock against me now is a lack of "industry experience."

I'm frustrated because it's a chicken and the egg thing...how does one gain industry experience without working in the industry? I spent years volunteering for sites and making gaming content for free. I've covered E3 twice, both times on my own dime. And I'm as passionate as anyone about the hobby. Still, anytime I get a company's attention, the general takeaway is "you might know how to market news, but that doesn't mean you know how to market games."
I can make city council meetings seem interesting. Trust me, I can do it with games.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind working as a video producer or something for a gaming news outlet, but they, too, can be just as stubborn.

Overall, I assume this is a pretty common problem, but have you wanted to work in the industry and hit a wall at every turn? Maybe you got around it and have tips to share. Or maybe you're a hiring manager and can shed some light on what makes a candidate stand out to you. Either way, maybe this thread can be of some use. Thanks for letting me vent.
I’ve been in the Industry for 16 years and held many roles. PM me with any questions you may have :)

I'm really not trying to promote myself (seriously!), but I can send you some links to things I've done in the past. I definitely should stop by the indie thread and get to know people, though. I'd LOVE to contribute in any way I can to projects on the horizon.

I don't think it would be against the rules to offer your services there (it's just a GAFer contacting other GAFers for potential job opportunities), but if you're concerned that it would be considered self-promotion, you can always contact a mod.

You should also start thinking about how much would you ask for to make a trailer. Perhaps different price points for different budgets / qualities? I have absolutely no clue how the trailer-making market works, I've only ever made software for companies in-house. :D

In any case, if you end up decide against putting links in this or the indie thread, sure, PM me with the links! But I think it woud be best for you to show it to everyone (although this is a bit hypocritical of me, as I keep putting off showing my game to GAFers; it's always "one more feature so that it feels more complete").

scitek

[TW]Stone;249725490 said:
I’ve been in the Industry for 16 years and held many roles. PM me with any questions you may have :)

Sorry, just getting to this, but thanks! I do have a question or two you may be able to answer.

Weltall Zero said:
I don't think it would be against the rules to offer your services there (it's just a GAFer contacting other GAFers for potential job opportunities), but if you're concerned that it would be considered self-promotion, you can always contact a mod.

You should also start thinking about how much would you ask for to make a trailer. Perhaps different price points for different budgets / qualities? I have absolutely no clue how the trailer-making market works, I've only ever made software for companies in-house. :D

In any case, if you end up decide against putting links in this or the indie thread, sure, PM me with the links! But I think it woud be best for you to show it to everyone (although this is a bit hypocritical of me, as I keep putting off showing my game to GAFers; it's always "one more feature so that it feels more complete").

I'll start participating in that thread. It couldn't hurt. On a fun note, I just finished this new promo at work today. It's a fun change of pace from stuff I usually work on.

Top Bottom