• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

robrueda

As I stated on the Pokken DX Review thread: This game is the sole reason for me to pick-up a Switch at the time. This is one my son´s favorite games on Wii U but it is horrible to play in local vs mode at 30fps. Looking forward to get it next week.

For those that got an early copy of the game, is the inner cover any good?

As I stated on the Pokken DX Review thread: This game is the sole reason for me to pick-up a Switch at the time. This is one my son´s favorite games on Wii U but it is horrible to play in local vs mode at 30fps. Looking forward to get it next week.

For those that got an early copy of the game, is the inner cover any good?
It's this
1459179995mewtwo7.jpg

i man i'm excited to get back into pokken, my sceptile is super rusty so i'm gonna need to relearn all his stuff over again

i'm also interested in what decidueye brings, he looks like he could be quite fun

Wiseblade

Trying to find a good button mapping for stick, anyone actually use it for pokken?
There really isn't one I can think of. It's a 6 button game, but really unorthodox to stick use with both block and jump as button presses. Even the arcade version uses the proprietary Hori pad.

I don't know why but I'm not excited about this for some reason. I should be because Gardevoir is in the game, but I'm still not excited.

Maybe it's the lack of Typhlosion.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So how does LAN play work in this version? Asking for the sake of local tournaments, and we're not keen on split-screen.

HyperHip

Or they can do it like Xenoverse 2 and have it as free DLC at launch so those who choose to have everyone can and those who want to unlock manually can as well.

Or do it old school and give a cheat code. I need/want all my playable characters at the start for a fighter, nothing worse than going to locals and shit ain't unlocked.

Kebiinu

Banned
Even if all the characters are unlocked, you can still level up your Pokemon! Online got a lot more robust as well. And there are plenty of unlocks and titles for your trainer! There are still things to do, lol. Little things, though. The meat of the game is online.

Perineum

Would you guys recommend this for a 9 year old girl to play if she won't touch online?

Thinking of getting this for my daughter who like Poke'mon.

kingbean

I got it on amazon.co.jp with my amazon credit card and it was 52 USD when converted. So that's pretty cool. I've not played the game on Wii U but I enjoyed the demo a bunch.

Wiseblade

After a few minutes messing around with him,
Decidueye is really interesting. The mechanics of his hover give him some really interesting options. Team Birds (Blaziken/Empoleon/Decidueye)
Seems like a really fun pick for 3v3.
I feel like getting this, but having all the characters unlocked is a huge turnoff. This trend needs to die.

Yeah, half the fun is unlocking everyone. I felt a bit disappointed when I saw Mario Kart was like that as well.
YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY

Having locked characters is the worst. Why shold I have to gringo through half the game just to play with a character I like?
Are people finally going to acknowledge that Empoleon is awesome?
YES. Empoleon is really interestingin this game. A typically slow moving character, his moves give him a lot of mobility and potential to surprise opponents.

So how does LAN play work in this version? Asking for the sake of local tournaments, and we're not keen on split-screen.
This is also relevant to my interests.

The game has a deadicated lan mode that you activate from the title screen by holding down a set of buttons, i gorget what they are right now but it shouldn't be hard to find online

Kyzon

How's this game compared to ARMS to anyone who's put a lot of time in both?

Great! Every character plays vastly different from each other. It's really flashy too, so it's even fun to watch. Most of all, the game gets deep if you want to go into the lab, but it remains highly accessable still.

I like it more than Arms

patchday

Not sure if I'm getting this cause I own the Wii U ver. But I probably will

I feel like getting this, but having all the characters unlocked is a huge turnoff. This trend needs to die.

Weird I can tell I'm not a fighting game thread. This is a pro players worst nightmare. Usually they just train in a lab and hop right into competitive. They dont grind to unlock monsters unless forced

Camjo-Z

Damn it Amazon. Checked my preorder on a whim after seeing this thread and somehow the shipping date was mysteriously bumped to TUESDAY without letting me know.

Looks like I'm going digital!

Kebiinu

Banned
I wonder if the online groups can be made with a ruleset that only allows GAF members? Like private lobbies, in a sense. Could help jump-start a scene here, and I'm really interested in the 3vs3.

Ohhh shit, there is a story mode.

I might buy this then.

I thought it was only single and online battles but that's me basing it on the demo.

Griss

Not sure if I'm getting this cause I own the Wii U ver. But I probably will

Weird I can tell I'm not a fighting game thread. This is a pro players worst nightmare. Usually they just train in a lab and hop right into competitive. They dont grind to unlock monsters unless forced

For many of us we will never even play this game against another human being. I love fighting games but I almost exclusively play them single player. So having stuff to unlock is nice. There can always be a 'tournament toggle' to instantly unlock things for those hardcore players who just want to play versus.

I can't decide if I want to buy the Pokken controller or just stick with my Switch pro controller for this game....ugggghhhhh. Decisions, decisions.

brinstar

I accidentally spent the money i set aside for this and Xenoverse 2 like an idiot 😩

now I gotta wait til next week, wait for me Scizor.....

I can't decide if I want to buy the Pokken controller or just stick with my Switch pro controller for this game....ugggghhhhh. Decisions, decisions.
For what it's worth I have the Pokken one and it's very comfortable and plays the game better than the experience I had using the Switch pro controller.

Zebei

Probably goibg to try the demo when. Im done with Samus Returns. A pokemon fighting game always seemed like something that have a lot of appeal, so i have high hopes for a re-release on a popular console.

Got to play the demo. Empoleon seems really fun. If the game sells well enough and has a decent playerbase, i'll probably look to get it for Christmas. Good luck Nintendo.

Wiseblade

The game has a deadicated lan mode that you activate from the title screen by holding down a set of buttons, i gorget what they are right now but it shouldn't be hard to find online
On the Wii U version. On Switch, I doubt it. The button combination for LAN in OG Pokkén and in LAN-supporting Switch games so far has involved pressing L+R, which takes you out of the title screen.

Seik

Banned
On the Wii U version. On Switch, I doubt it. The button combination for LAN in OG Pokkén and in LAN-supporting Switch games so far has involved pressing L+R, which takes you out of the title screen.

If it had a LAN mode on Wii U it would be weird not to have it on Switch.

Griss

I wonder if the updated Ferrum League uses the Team Battle mode with 3 on 3 matches.

It'd be a real shame if it didn't but I don't expect it. Just a little over an hour or so until we can find out (assuming the game is up at midnight...)

Wiseblade

If it had a LAN mode on Wii U it would be weird not to have it on Switch.
I just checked with my sources and the game usea a unique code, different from the Wii U version and ALL OTHER SWITCH GAMES.

Also, 3v3 doesn't seem to be supported in what is now called "event mode" so my Team Birds dream is dead before it evenue took flight.

BiggNife

I just checked with my sources and the game usea a unique code, different from the Wii U version and ALL OTHER SWITCH GAMES.

Also, 3v3 doesn't seem to be supported in what is now called "event mode" so my Team Birds dream is dead before it evenue took flight.

What do you mean by unique code? Like a unique code to activate LAN mode?

Top Bottom