• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

d00d3n

Did my part by pledging at the 28$ n00b level. My second Kickstarter after Pillars of Eternity, actually. Hope it gets funded.

JGLS

Not feeling the artstyle, nor the concept art. No gameplay videos. I'm gonna pass for now Iga. But looks like this will have no trouble whatsoever getting funded.

orioto

Good Art™
I can't wait until people complain on how the game doesn't look like the concept art and how they neglected to read this and how it doesn't matter, "it's shitty either way"...

Anyway, hype! Swordwhip was the right choice and I'll be there day 0.

Well i hope the game doesn't look like the concept art.

Beelzebubs

How can they not tell us if it's 2D or 2.5D?!?! That seems like something important!

EDIT: OK, that info is burried in the FAQ section below all the images for reward tiers. It's 2.5D

Reading the kickstarter description is probably important ;)

Toxi

Banned
IntiCreate

No gameplay

No Kojima

Reharshing the same sob story that Inafune told.

No 2D confirmation.

Nah, this is gonna get funded anyway, ill wait for reviews.
2.5D was already confirmed.
WHY 2.5D?

IGA decided to go with 2.5D for this project for both financial and artistic reasons. All decisions in game development involve trade-offs, and for Bloodstained a 2.5D world built on Unreal Engine 4 was the right choice to balance development time, graphical fidelity, budget, and scope.

At the same time, IGA is very excited about exploring the paths a 2.5D style opens up within the classic Igavania formula. As he begins a new chapter of his career as a developer, he's looking forward to trying things that will enhance, rather than detract from, that core gameplay.

Still, though, we would never discount the fans' love for that classic style. The development team is looking forward to working with backers every step of the way to decide on custom shaders that will give the game a distinctive, hand-crafted look. Games like Guilty Gear and Strider are proof that 2.5D can be handled in a way that honors a classic aesthetic while allowing for new possibilities; that’s what IGA hopes to achieve with this project.

And of course, since it's an Igavania game, the 2D gameplay and feel are nonnegotiable.
I'm not that concerned about 3D models if they're looking at stuff like Guilty Gear and Strider for inspiration; those games look fantastic. My main issue is that the concept art so far looks kinda bright and tacky.

EDIT: Oh wow, I'm dumb and didn't realize you meant "no 2D has been confirmed", not "they haven't confirmed if 2D"

Kyou

IntiCreate

No gameplay

No Kojima

Reharshing the same sob story that Inafune told.

No 2D confirmation.

Nah, this is gonna get funded anyway, ill wait for reviews.
Yeah there's very little reason for me to back it, I'll just wait for release.

Raptor

Need to see first if there is some kind of gore and dismemberment, in one Castlevania there was some gore and cutting zombies in half I think.

Shouta

Hmm, how much to back this up with. =O Some of the upper ones seem kinda of fun to do. I wouldn't mind having my own weapon in this but that is a pretty penny, lol.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really, really wish there were some screenshots or video. Even just a shot of what they're targeting. Concept art isn't very meaningful.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"WHAT ABOUT NINTENDO?

Our budget left us with two options: Build the biggest, most beautiful game we can, or make sure it runs everywhere from the start. As things stand today, we can't afford to create the two separate versions of this game that would be necessary to make it run on every console. That said, we've heard legends about a remarkable treasure hidden in the castle basement..."

What is that last part about

Yeah, Nintendo consoles as supplementary stretch goals if the game is funded quickly enough, I'd say.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This could have some potential! Still won't back this though. Will wait for release though!

Yeah, I'mma wait for the gameplay. I fell for Mighty No. 9's art style concept stuff, thinking it was going to be close to the gameplay art style.

But alas, it was not so. Not falling for that again.

Toxi

Banned
Yet none of them offer as much complexity and replay-value as an IGAvania.
La Mulana comes to mind. Really a fantastic game and probably my favorite non-Metroid Metroid-style game.

But La Mulana is so much its own thing that I can see why people are still thirsting for a real IGAvania.

Hugstable

Banned
CEvard3WoAAFrTK.jpg:large

Shanoa?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh god, they have learned nothing from Mighty No. 9.

Fancy piece of hand drawn concept art. Actual game is going to be 2.5D in unreal engine.

Here comes the angry mob once the first actual gameplay videos emerge.

Takao

Banned
Wonder what's up with Inti and Unreal Engine. MN9 is UE3, GalGun 2 is UE (presumably) and this is UE4. Kind of weird to see a small Japanese dev take to the tech like that.

eXistor

A shame about the anime-style they seem to be in love with, but otherwise I'm cautiously optimistic. Not backing though, there's way too little info to go by for now. If they manage to impress me with some actual gameplay these coming days I might back the $60,- tier (I'm a sucker for physical copies)

Ishida

Banned
WHAT ABOUT NINTENDO?

Our budget left us with two options: Build the biggest, most beautiful game we can, or make sure it runs everywhere from the start. As things stand today, we can't afford to create the two separate versions of this game that would be necessary to make it run on every console. That said, we've heard legends about a remarkable treasure hidden in the castle basement...

Ouch...

window-wiiu.jpg

Top Bottom