• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I read that it's better to use bus in Kyoto than train. So I guess JR pass not very useful in Kyoto?

Do yo think Kawaghiko worth for a day trip? like a 12 hours trip.

Yeah the bus is more useful in Kyoto. You can get a day pass for the bus for 1,000 yen (I think) if you plan to go see a lot of sights that day.

Nyoro SF

I'll be hitting up Tokyo for two weeks in May. I plan on hostel-hopping since I'll be moving around a lot day to day, but I'm a bit wary since I haven't done something like that before.

I guess my chief worries are:
1) How much stuff should I pack for two weeks? I'm thinking 4 or 5 changes of clothes might be just about right, or too much?
2) Is it worth dragging around a small luggage bag, or should I go backpack/duffel only? I'm leaning towards large duffel atm.
3) How secure is hostel storage of my items from everyone's experience? Could I store my (secured) duffel somewhere and just leave fearlessly? Granted I wouldn't be stupid enough to leave my passport inside or whatnot, but I don't want any funny business.
4) Online guides mention curfews, but what is the typical time of those hostel curfews? If they're too bad, I'm just going to try to find a cheap hotel home base instead.

Thanks for the links though, Japan Guide is super valuable :)

scarlet

I'll be hitting up Tokyo for two weeks in May. I plan on hostel-hopping since I'll be moving around a lot day to day, but I'm a bit wary since I haven't done something like that before.

Same with me :D

1) How much stuff should I pack for two weeks? I'm thinking 4 or 5 changes of clothes might be just about right, or too much?

3 pants and 5 tops? Don't bring too much, you can always buy clothes

How secure is hostel storage of my items from everyone's experience? Could I store my (secured) duffel somewhere and just leave fearlessly? Granted I wouldn't be stupid enough to leave my passport inside or whatnot, but I don't want any funny business.

Most Hotels/Hostel have lockers

hwalker84

2) Is it worth dragging around a small luggage bag, or should I go backpack/duffel only? I'm leaning towards large duffel atm.
3) How secure is hostel storage of my items from everyone's experience? Could I store my (secured) duffel somewhere and just leave fearlessly? Granted I wouldn't be stupid enough to leave my passport inside or whatnot, but I don't want any funny business.
4) Online guides mention curfews, but what is the typical time of those hostel curfews? If they're too bad, I'm just going to try to find a cheap hotel home base instead.

Thanks for the links though, Japan Guide is super valuable :)

1. Pack as light as possible. I'd say 5 shirts and 1-2 pairs of pants
  2. Duffel/Bookbag only
  3. Secure and friendly. I never felt like anyone was going to take anything. Bring one of those small draw string style bookbags. Came in handy during day trips.
  4. Curfews for locking the doors. You'll be able to get in.

scarlet

Haruka from KIX to Kyoto about 3500 yen, and JR west pass 1 day is 2000 yen.

And you can use JR west pass for Haruka too. I'm so gonna buy the west pass lol

Fritz

Hey, I have a question about car rental.

I am planing 5 nights in the Japanese Alps. I could do by bus but I found great accomodation that's quite remote and not convenient for anything in the area. But from the looks of it it's worth the journey alone. Apart from that place I think a car would be very helpful in that area in general since it gives you a lot more freedom with all the remote villages and onsens and what not.

Can anyone help me figure this out or point me to some car rentals or something? halp!

Saya

Check out all the Khaosans. They are all amazing and have many different prices. The bar near them is also amazing. It's called Bar 634 or Musashi (play on words) now. Every time I go I stay at a khaosan now.

I booked a few nights at the Khaosan in Tokyo. The reviews were very positive so I'm looking forward to it. It's actually my first time in a hostel.

We're still looking for a place in Kyoto. I would love to stay in a ryokan but most seem to be full already or are out of my budget. Thinking about just staying in a hotel, might be nice after a long day of walking and doing activities.

For Nara we booked at the Yuzan place that hwalker84 suggested. Surprisingly they had room available. :D

Our itinerary has changed a bit. We're going from 9 April until 21 April with 5 days Tokyo, 4 days Kyoto, 3 days in Nara. We'll take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, and the airport bus from Nara to Kansai (KIX).

How's the weather in April? Is it warm enough to walk around without a jacket?

Also, how safe is bicycling in Japan? We're thinking about exploring Nara by bike. Might be nice.

tokkun

How much would you say we'd need for subway/train fares for about 4/5 days travel in Tokyo? If we store 10.000 yen on the cards we can get the remaining amount back at the end of our trip, right? By handing in the cards?

The Tokunai pass gives you unlimited train rides within the Tokyo metro area for 730 yen/day. If you are willing to do some walking, that will be sufficient to get most places. Otherwise you can also get a subway pass for about the same amount.

Depending on your itinerary you may be able to do it cheaper by just buying individual fares, but I personally recommend the day pass since it is still relatively cheap, and it gives you the freedom to adjust your plans on the fly without worrying about fare calculations.

Nyoro SF

I booked a few nights at the Khaosan in Tokyo. The reviews were very positive so I'm looking forward to it. It's actually my first time in a hostel.

We're still looking for a place in Kyoto. I would love to stay in a ryokan but most seem to be full already or are out of my budget. Thinking about just staying in a hotel, might be nice after a long day of walking and doing activities.

For Nara we booked at the Yuzan place that hwalker84 suggested. Surprisingly they had room available. :D

Our itinerary has changed a bit. We're going from 9 April until 21 April with 5 days Tokyo, 4 days Kyoto, 3 days in Nara. We'll take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, and the airport bus from Nara to Kansai (KIX).

Also, how safe is bicycling in Japan? We're thinking about exploring Nara by bike. Might be nice.

Oh? How early in advance do you usually have to book a hostel? Even the cheap ones fill in fast eh?

Fritz

Did you check out airbnb? I booked a private room today for late April/early May in Kyoto. Looks very welcoming, has great reviews and costs about as much as a hostel.

hwalker84

I had no problems booking 1-2 days in advance the entire trip. Usually as long as I could get in the first night they'd have a cancellation for me for the rest of my stay. When id get the confirmation email from the hostel id ask. Worked out fine.

Nyoro SF

I had no problems booking 1-2 days in advance the entire trip. Usually as long as I could get in the first night they'd have a cancellation for me for the rest of my stay. When id get the confirmation email from the hostel id ask. Worked out fine.

Cool. If I had to reserve a month or so in advance for a hostel I'd have to be a lot stricter with my itinerary. But if I can just hop on in and ask if there's a spot that would be great.

scarlet

Oh? How early in advance do you usually have to book a hostel? Even the cheap ones fill in fast eh?

Late March - April is peak season, I booked mine in November. Still haven't found replacement for Kyoto in April. I guess I'll stick with my first plan.

Saya

Late March - April is peak season, I booked mine in November. Still haven't found replacement for Kyoto in April. I guess I'll stick with my first plan.

Yep, I think because of this. It's just before Golden Week I think, and because I'm not travelling alone. Booking a bed somewhere as a single traveler in a dorm should be less of a problem I think. However, private rooms in hostels run out fast.

We also want to stay for 4 days in one place, we don't feel like moving around to different accommodation while in Tokyo and Kyoto. That makes it a bit harder to find a place as well.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Japan and could use some help, suggestions, and input. Our plan is to go there in April, for about 10 days (April 4 until 14).

This is our itinerary so far:

Arrive at Tokyo - Kyoto - Nara - Depart from Osaka

04 Travel from Haneda Airport to Tokyo
05 Tokyo
06 Tokyo
07 Tokyo
08 Travel from Tokyo to Kyoto by Shinkansen
09 Kyoto
10 Kyoto
11 Kyoto
12 Travel from Kyoto to Nara
13 Nara
14 Travel from Nara to Kansai Airport

- I'm looking for hotel/guesthouse suggestions in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Nara. My budget is around 60/70 dollars a night. Is this enough for a decent place to stay?

- Do you think we should get the JR Railpass? I think not, because we won't make that much use of the trains? We will have to use the trains to get around Tokyo and I do want to ride the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto though. What do you think?

- How much (approximately) does one spend on meals in Tokyo / Kyoto? We're not planning on shopping much for clothes, etc. Maybe a couple of souvenirs.

I would stay 1/2 days more in Tokyo, and remove from Kyoto/Nara.

Nara is a really 1 day trip. No need more even you can go to Nara in the morning and go back Kyoto at night.

For hotels while traveling here i usually use http://www.agoda.com

Also as side you can go Nikko (1 day trip) Hakone (1 day trip) and check an Onsen there.

scarlet

Yep, I think because of this. It's just before Golden Week I think, and because I'm not travelling alone. Booking a bed somewhere as a single traveler in a dorm should be less of a problem I think. However, private rooms in hostels run out fast.

We also want to stay for 4 days in one place, we don't feel like moving around to different accommodation while in Tokyo and Kyoto. That makes it a bit harder to find a place as well.

Even the dorm is full :( . My only choice is capsule, but already booked one for my last night.

Saya

I would stay 1/2 days more in Tokyo, and remove from Kyoto/Nara.

Nara is a really 1 day trip. No need more even you can go to Nara in the morning and go back Kyoto at night.

For hotels while traveling here i usually use http://www.agoda.com

Also as side you can go Nikko (1 day trip) Hakone (1 day trip) and check an Onsen there.

Thanks for the advice! Our trip changed a little bit since that post. This is our itinerary now:

April

09 - Arrive 23:00 in Tokyo (Haneda) - Stay overnight at airport (crash at arrival hall maybe)
10 - Tokyo
11 - Tokyo
12 - Tokyo
13 - Tokyo
14 - Tokyo - Travel to Kyoto by Shinkansen
15 - Kyoto
16 - Kyoto
17 - Kyoto
18 - Kyoto - Travel to Nara
19 - Nara
20 - Nara
21 - Nara - Travel to Kansai International Airport by bus from Nara

All the accommodation is already confirmed so I'm glad about that. Now we just need to buy the Shinkansen ticket when we arrive and maybe reserve seats.

Working on our sightseeing and activities list now. Could really use input for hidden gems. :)

Gromph

Staff Member
Thanks for the advice! Our trip changed a little bit since that post. This is our itinerary now:

All the accommodation is already confirmed so I'm glad about that. Now we just need to buy the Shinkansen ticket when we arrive and maybe reserve seats.

Working on our sightseeing and activities list now. Could really use input for hidden gems. :)

You still will be 3 days at Nara, and you only will have a park and buda to see. :)

Also i recommend you one day trip to Osaka, and eat a wonderful okonomiyaki in dotonbori.

Saya

You still will be 3 days at Nara, and you only will have a park and buda to see. :)

Also i recommend you one day trip to Osaka, and eat a wonderful okonomiyaki in dotonbori.

You make Nara sound so bad haha. :)

We could do a day trip to Osaka definitely. Or perhaps Yoshino or Uji? I just see the photos and it looks pretty good. We chose our last few days just to relax in Nara, because we might be a bit tired from all the walking we'll do in Tokyo and Kyoto. :D

Gromph

Staff Member

We could do a day trip to Osaka definitely. Or perhaps Yoshino or Uji? I just see the photos and it looks pretty good. We chose our last few days just to relax in Nara, because we might be a bit tired from all the walking we'll do in Tokyo and Kyoto. :D

No no, is not bad is ... There is nothing else to see :)

Is like Osaka the only thing interesting is Dotonbori and the food.

(I live in Japan and one of my best friend husband is form Osaka )

scarlet

What day?

And how much is your budget?

April 3rd, might be in Osaka now lol, might sleep at Capsule earlier than I thought. I seriously have no Idea how to make itinerary ;__;

It's gonna be my last night, so hotel isn't a problem. Prefer somewhere near a station, cuz I know i could barely walk at that date.

Budget max $ 100 for that last night :D.

Find hotel with direct access to Kitahama Subway but it takes 60 minutes to KIX and I don't have to walk, and a hotel near Nihonbashi Station (somehow I can't find that on Hyperdia) takes to 40 minutes to KIX from Namba.

Any area recommendation to stay in Osaka?

:(

Have you tried Hostelworld and Agoda like Gromph mentioned?

I use booking.com, too many apps isn't good for me haha.

Gromph

Staff Member
April 3rd, might be in Osaka now lol, might sleep at Capsule earlier than I thought. I seriously have no Idea how to make itinerary ;__;

It's gonna be my last night, so hotel isn't a problem. Prefer somewhere near a station, cuz I know i could barely walk at that date.

Budget max $ 100 for that last night :D.

Find hotel with direct access to Kitahama Subway but it takes 60 minutes to KIX and I don't have to walk, and a hotel near Nihonbashi Station (somehow I can't find that on Hyperdia) takes to 40 minutes to KIX from Namba.

Any area recommendation to stay in Osaka?

Quicks search and low budgets hotels (40-60$)
WrP9bqk.jpg

scarlet

Quicks search and low budgets hotels (40-60$)

Already booked a capsule for that date in Kawaramachi Kyoto (my 1st itinerary)

But, I'm leaning toward to stay in Osaka for my last night, since it closer to Kansai Airport than Kyoto.

My flight is at 11.55 am. So I have to be there before 10.00 am.

Saya

I'm staying in Kawaramachi Kyoto too, but different dates.

If you're on a budget, I would suggest looking around a bit because rates differ sometimes. You can find deals sometime. Personally always had the most luck with Agoda. :)

I'm also considering renting a pocket wifi. But as I understand, once the battery runs out you can't charge it anymore? How long does it last usually?

scarlet

I'm staying in Kawaramachi Kyoto too, but different dates.

If you're on a budget, I would suggest looking around a bit because rates differ sometimes. You can find deals sometime. Personally always had the most luck with Agoda. :)

I'm also considering renting a pocket wifi. But as I understand, once the battery runs out you can't charge it anymore? How long does it last usually?

I was browsing about sim card/pocket wifi earlier. I forgot which site, but there's an extra battery for rent (10-12 hours) for 150 yen/day. I guess I'm gonna get that.

And man, sim card is so freakin expensive. More than 11000 yen for 12 days! Jeez.

Saya

That's not true. You get a charger with the pocket WiFi device.

Do you know where to get the one with charger?

I was browsing about sim card/pocket wifi earlier. I forgot which site, but there's an extra battery for rent (10-12 hours) for 150 yen/day. I guess I'm gonna get that.

And man, sim card is so freakin expensive. More than 11000 yen for 12 days! Jeez.

https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I was looking at it too. If I would take the extra battery its 6,450 + (12 x150) for the cheaper option. According to the website the battery has 4-5 hours of continuous work. I'll think about this option first. Maybe I don't need it if we plan it well the trip well enough or just use wifi hotspots.

scarlet

Do you know where to get the one with charger?

https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I was looking at it too. If I would take the extra battery its 6,450 + (12 x150) for the cheaper option. According to the website the battery has 4-5 hours of continuous work. I'll think about this option first. Maybe I don't need it if we plan it well the trip well enough or just use wifi hotspots.

Lol, PMed you the same link.

What? 4-5 hours :(. It's not enough, I need more for hyperdia, google maps and social media lol.

Llyranor

I used these guys http://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim

4100 yen for 1gig up to 30 days. With something to compress data like onavo, it was way more than I needed. They sent it to the hotel where I was staying on day 1. Worked very well in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara (including in the subway).

I found Nara to be worth a day trip. I guess you could squeeze two days into it. 3 may be a bit much, but fine if you want to relax.

If you make a day trip to Osaka, you could maybe pass by Kobe for some amazing Kobe beef! (best meal I've ever had). Or maybe Hikone (which is closer to Kyoto, mind you), which is the best castle you'll see in the area (while Himeji is still being renovated - now, granted, Osaka also has a reconstructed castle, but it's a fake)

hwalker84

Heads up about the Japanese pocket wifi's... They suck compared to something like a Verizon mifi. Battery life is pathetic. A portable battery is an absolute must. Mine took the old min USB cable and it was hard finding that in Japan until it dawned on me that the PS3 controller was the same cable. I found a videogame store which had it and then I was great the rest of my trip.

Saya

All of those on that site comes with a charger. Look at the PDF manuals.

The extra battery is just a rechargeable USB emergency charger. If you already own one of those or stay for a long time, it might be cheaper to just bring that with you/buy one.

Yeah, thanks! I didn't see that. So it is possible to just charge them by a power outlet. That's good.

Saya

I found Nara to be worth a day trip. I guess you could squeeze two days into it. 3 may be a bit much, but fine if you want to relax.

If you make a day trip to Osaka, you could maybe pass by Kobe for some amazing Kobe beef! (best meal I've ever had). Or maybe Hikone (which is closer to Kyoto, mind you), which is the best castle you'll see in the area (while Himeji is still being renovated - now, granted, Osaka also has a reconstructed castle, but it's a fake)

We're gonna take it easy the last few days in Nara. Maybe we'll squeeze in a day of walking and climbing around Yoshino area for taking in the cherry blossom sights (if there are any).

Daria

I've been planning on visiting Tokyo but need some help. Besides K's Hostel is there anywhere outside of Tokyo that compares? Cost, location, etc. I did some research and if I'm reading correctly it's around $40/night per person and with that cost I plan on staying for around 10 days or so. Same goes with food, I'm sure it'll be cheap so that's not really a concern.

Is there any other places outside of Tokyo I should visit? Getting outside of Tokyo during the day is no big deal as long as the rail passes aren't too expensive. Staying outside of Tokyo for the night is something I'll be for if the cost is ok. Going to be visiting with my girlfriend FWIW.

hwalker84

We're gonna take it easy the last few days in Nara. Maybe we'll squeeze in a day of walking and climbing around Yoshino area for taking in the cherry blossom sights (if there are any).
The place you booked in Nara has free English guided tours through a local company. Make sure to take advantage of that. We had an amazing guided trip with this old guy.

Llyranor

I've been planning on visiting Tokyo but need some help. Besides K's Hostel is there anywhere outside of Tokyo that compares? Cost, location, etc. I did some research and if I'm reading correctly it's around $40/night per person and with that cost I plan on staying for around 10 days or so. Same goes with food, I'm sure it'll be cheap so that's not really a concern.

Is there any other places outside of Tokyo I should visit? Getting outside of Tokyo during the day is no big deal as long as the rail passes aren't too expensive. Staying outside of Tokyo for the night is something I'll be for if the cost is ok. Going to be visiting with my girlfriend FWIW.

Nikko (burial place of Tokugawa Ieyasu) and Kamakura (the seat of the Kamakura shogunate - there's a bunch of temples remaining, and a giant Buddha) are worthwhile day trips from Tokyo (though you can also probably stay a night at Kamakura also). They are especially cool if you aren't visiting Kyoto/Nara since you'll be able to see some of old Japan without venturing too far from Tokyo.

Hakone was pretty fun, too.

scarlet

I used these guys http://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim

4100 yen for 1gig up to 30 days. With something to compress data like onavo, it was way more than I needed. They sent it to the hotel where I was staying on day 1. Worked very well in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara (including in the subway).

How about the speed? they didn't mention it.

Heads up about the Japanese pocket wifi's... They suck compared to something like a Verizon mifi. Battery life is pathetic. A portable battery is an absolute must. Mine took the old min USB cable and it was hard finding that in Japan until it dawned on me that the PS3 controller was the same cable. I found a videogame store which had it and then I was great the rest of my trip.

If the sim card from econnect is fast enough, I think I'm gonna use sim card.

scottnak

Thoughts on this Itinerary? I'm a bit nervous planning this for our group of 4...

3/24 - Arrive Tokyo
3/25 - Tokyo
3/26 - Tokyo/Yokohama (Ramen Museum, etc.)
3/27 - Tokyo/Kamakura
3/28 - Tokyo
3/29 - Tokyo -> Hakone
3/30 - Hakone -> Kyoto
3/31 - Kyoto/Osaka
4/1 - Kyoto/Nara
4/2 - Kyoto -> Tokyo
4/3 - Tokyo / Leave

Slashes indicate Home Base / Day Trip Location

Is Yokohama + Kamakura feasible as a 1 day package?
Are there any additional combos that are feasible?

Thanks in advance!

If you did it you would probably have to skip the ramen museum. It's a kitschy cool little place but I wouldn't say it's must-see anyway. You could probably get up early, get to Kamakura, then get to Yokohama for dinner in China town or take a nighttime cruise in the bay at Minato Mirai. But Kamakura itself isn't that high on the list for me, especially if you're going to be spending time in both Kyoto and Nara. A lot depends on how much your group is into temples and history.

Fritz

Sorry for the double post but does someone have experience with car rentals in Japan? Also is driving a hassle outside of the cities?

SKINNER!

Banned
Is Yokohama + Kamakura feasible as a 1 day package?
Are there any additional combos that are feasible?

Not sure about Yokohama but depending on how much you want to see in Kamakura then it's plausible to cover it in 1 day so long as you start in the morning around 9am-ish.

Sorry for the double post but does someone have experience with car rentals in Japan? Also is driving a hassle outside of the cities?

I saw your first post but I got no idea :(

You can check this info and see if that helps you:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html

You're from Germany? Then you need to take a note of this at least:
Belgium, France, Germany, Monaco, Slovenia, Switzerland and Taiwan do not issue permits based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, but instead have a separate agreement that allows drivers from these countries to drive in Japan for up to one year with an official Japanese translation of their driver's license. A translation can be obtained from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF), through Japan Experience or from some of the respective countries' embassies or consulates in Japan.

Sallokin

I went here on Saturday and it's totally a disappointment. If you're gonna be in Ikebukuro, then it's on the bottom floor of the Seibu located in Ikebukuro station. It's a tiny little stand and they only sold 3 flavors, sakura green tea, red chili and sublime (I think this was some kind of bitter chocolate one and it was limited to 300 units per day). There was a special sweet bean paste sandwich flavor if you spent more than 4200 yen. Once that was gone they switched to strawberry, which is pretty readily available. You'll honestly find more variety in Kit Kats at regular candy shops. The best one I've found is in Odaiba at Diver City (though I can't remember the name at the moment).

Here's some pics.

I'm sure it will get better, but right now it's not really the Kit Kat Mecca I had pictured =(

Still, if you're in Ikebukuro, you can eat some made delicious ramen at Mutekiya which is really close to the station. It's hands down some of the best ramen in Tokyo (opinions on ramen differ obviously), and check out Sunshine City.

Here's the outside of Mutekiya for reference.

Also, for all that is sacred listen to this man

For those that are travelling to Japan in Spring... Make sure... MAKE SURE that you put Fujikyu Highland on the list and get yourself on the Eijanaika! It's going to be super busy this Spring at Fujikyu Highland but it's going to be awesome!!

http://www.fujiq.jp/en/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbWjTGOqBk

Gotta love it! I want to try the new rollercoaster, the Takabisha, all while taking a peek at Mount Fuji: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4u89wTnzM

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
As someone who lived in Sunshine City for almost a year, they could not have picked a better place to put it.

What exactly is the question? If you hold a license in your native country and don't require an international license, get a translation and bring your passport. That should be enough for any car rental agency. Some major gas station chains also rent cars on the spot by the day. I've never had to deal with renting a car as a "tourist" since I always had my Japanese license, but if I had clients or friends come they never needed anything more than you would in any country to rent.

Top Bottom