• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N'Gai Croal - Internet Superstar

Lykathea

Banned
Although I am completely unfamiliar with N'Gai Croal those topics of his that you posted as being pretentious and what not actually are really interesting to me. I guess I'll have to check out his blog. Thanks for the heads up!

Also I don't think a slightly elevated use of language automatically connotes arrogance, IMO the vast majority of the time an author's diction stands out is because they are attempting to talk in as specific terms as possible so that the essential meaning that they are trying to get across is not obscured by colloquial uses of the same terms.

mCACGj

What's wrong with someone trying to be intelligent about the medium? Few people these days really write about them as if they mean something, or have some sort of cultural relevance.

keanerie

Orlics said:
The thing is, he's a journalist. Journalists aren't supposed to use big words.

He's a blogger. If journalism at some primary level is about getting information from one place to public knowledge, the only journalism he does is interviewing executives, as far as I can tell. If it's about commentary and contributing to the shape of public knowledge, he's more than a fair journalist, I'd say.

I do like the guy but I feel that he gets far, FAR too philosophical on the smallest things - like how "flOw is the most violent game of the year".

Yeah, agreed. Totilo, Croal and that guy from Slate - aka the non-games journalist games journalists - get way to into superlative declarations like that, as if everything they were writing had to be readymade to be stamped as the headline on another blog. These kind of discussions have always given me the feeling that these guys really are playing and thinking about games on an intellectual level that, while certainly with its merit, doesn't really stand up on its own in this gamer's mind - it's like they're thinking about games more than they are playing them. Play flOw, love/hate it, but make your prime statement be that this game is great for such and such reasons or not rather than fitting it into your cultural acumen.

OP, you should read Tim Rogers. You'll appreciate N'Gai more in comparsion.

Kittonwy said:
Don't get me wrong, I like making up words but even I don't do it on every sentence.
Indifferent2.gif

Garnett's such a nice, good guy, that I don't see how people can genuinely hate on him. I think his lack of verbal command of the English language is endearing.

jacobs34

dammitmattt said:
I like N'Gai, but what stories has he broken. There are no game journalists. Unless you count Fatbabies and its ilk. The Dallas Observer did more investigative journalism in a few months than the enthusiast press has done in my lifetime.

No one is saying that N'Gai is an investigative journalist. He's more like a Chuck Klosterman, he expounds on a number of topics regarding video games, using other art media as reference points. Much the same way Klosterman talks about music under the larger umbrella of pop culture. Most of N'Gai's best writing are essays, take for example the column he wrote shortly after Gerstmann-gate, it was probably the best article written about the gaming business that I have ever read. N'Gai may not be the first to get the story, but he usually gets the story right, and that is the ultimate goal of journalism.

Kittonwy

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Garnett's such a nice, good guy, that I don't see how people can genuinely hate on him. I think his lack of verbal command of the English language is endearing.

I don't hate Garnett rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

batbeg

akachan ningen said:
what's so arrogant and smug about it? He's just smiling.

Yeah, but... in such an asshole way, you know? I'd never smile like that, what with my teeth and... stuff.

What a douche!

Zip_Zap_Rap said:
While I wouldn't put his blog in the same realm as The Grey Room or The Games Design Reader, both published by MIT Press, I would argue his intended audience is closer to Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman then it is to Shane B, or Garrnett Lee.

I suggest you ignore him.

You mean to tell me that N'Gai doesn't try to prove he's the biggest fan in the world of every game he likes?

Kittonwy said:
I don't hate Garnett rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Not you, Kittonwy!!!! You're good people.

stewacide

dammitmattt said:
Is this a Garnett reference?

I'm not down on their names, but the 'host' (Garnett?) is generally pretty good, although he has a habit of going off on philosophical tangents (N'Gai is certainly no worse).

A lot of the other rotating panellists they have on, however, clearly aren't used to expressing themselves out loud. It's really painful to listen to someone struggle to get a thought out of their mouths coherently without every third word being 'like'.

I like N'Gai's take. I appreciate something different. It seems to me that 95 percent of what's said or written about games is the same echo-chamber shit anyway. As I said on the other thread, I can understand the hate. But personally I like what N'Gai and Totilo do. I appreciate where they're coming from. And to me it does matter that they write for more mainstream outlets -- not because it gives any more or less credibility in my eyes, but because any time mainstream outlets cover games, and it's not of the Faux News OMG SEXbox variety, then I consider that a good thing.

And I agree with Calder. I'm sorry, but if 'curmudgeon' gives you fits, you really need to put down the controller and pick up a book every great once in a while.

jacobs34 said:
No one is saying that N'Gai is an investigative journalist. He's more like a Chuck Klosterman, he expounds on a number of topics regarding video games, using other art media as reference points. Much the same way Klosterman talks about music under the larger umbrella of pop culture. Most of N'Gai's best writing are essays, take for example the column he wrote shortly after Gerstmann-gate, it was probably the best article written about the gaming business that I have ever read. N'Gai may not be the first to get the story, but he usually gets the story right, and that is the ultimate goal of journalism.

I think the closest thing we have to Chuck Klosterman is Penny Arcade the few times a year when they are really on their game.

Mojovonio

Banned
dammitmattt said:

He's an easy target when he drinks.

Meloche

All his topics are tired and overdone? By whom, exactly? Because I don't see any business analysis, NPD discussion, or intelligent discourse of any kind coming out of 1up/IGN/Gamespot/every other video game site out there minus a small few. I don't need to read gushing previews or cookie-cutter reviews about game sequel x when I can easily just watch some videos, check out screens, and read forum impressions to find out for myself whether or not the game is worth my time. The nice thing about Level Up, and Multiplayer, and the few other gaming blogs that I visit is that they're actually offering some kind of perspective of what's going on in the industry as opposed to just regurgitating press releases and company spiel. So he's not catering to the average reader? Fuck the average reader; they can read something else. I'd like to read something interesting about videogames, for once.

BboyDubC

AstroLad said:
i've got a "big word" for n'gai and his fans: conceded

Was this a joke post? Because you may have just owned yourself more than words could ever describe. :lol

Edit: Actually I am convinced this cannot be a joke post or even come close to being written off as intentional, considering the word conceded provides no pun. So I must conclude: YOU HAVE JUST OWNED YOURSELF MORE THAN WORDS COULD EVER DESCRIBE!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

C4Lukins

Jesus people. At least respond to the OP's arguements. I do not agree with FirstInHell, but he said a lot more then "N'Gai is an ass hole for using big words."

Kittonwy

Banned
Mojovonio said:
He's an easy target when he drinks.
There's nothing wrong with drinking, it made me a better Resistance player.
Indifferent2.gif

Sober Kittonwy: *gets shot and killed*
Indifferent2.gif

Inebriated Kittonwy: *tag-whores for multiple kill streaks*
FUCK U U FUCK DIE U FUCK FUCK U U FUCKING FUCK
U WANT SOME U WANT SOME HERE U WANT SOME TOO DIE U FUCK
angry.gif

100% true story.
Indifferent2.gif

Jtrizzy

I'm looking forward to his thoughts on Phil Harrison, as well as EA/T2. I also really enjoy the armchair qb sales stuff.

FirstInHell said:
Why is it acceptable to trash Garnett left and right and not N'Gai?

Because Garnett is a nice, accessible guy, so he unknowingly sets himself up for it. Like a Sessler or Keighley (two other guys that I do like), N'Gai is much more aloof and hard to get ahold of, so he's got an air of being "untouchable." People that show they are human to the message board masses just get the shit torn out of them, unfortunately.

Mojovonio

Banned
C4Lukins said:
Jesus people. At least respond to the OP's arguements. I do not agree with FirstInHell, but he said a lot more then "N'Gai is an ass hole for using big words."

You realize what you're asking here, right?

Knox

This thread has made me feel better about myself. I don't hate anyone as much as OP hates some dude that smiles at cameras and writes about video games. Life is good.

Lykathea

Banned
mCACGj said:
What's wrong with someone trying to be intelligent about the medium? Few people these days really write about them as if they mean something, or have some sort of cultural relevance.

Besides the intelligentsia, yeah that is pretty much true. If you are truly interested in reading about such things (i.e. intelligent discussion and analysis of the meaning behind games) I suggest you google 'game studies' as their is some cool stuff out there (I think at least).

Mojovonio

Banned
Knox said:
This thread has made me feel better about myself. I don't hate anyone as much as OP hates some dude that smiles at cameras and writes about video games. Life is good.

But I hate you, and that's all that matters.

Now go right a poem about it.

130 words, 12 lines.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AstroLad said:
i've got a "big word" for n'gai and his fans: conceded

Do you mean "conceited"?

Seriously though, you were a better poster when you weren't trying to be a joke character.

Mojovonio

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Do you mean "conceited"?

I think you being the 20th person to quote that is even worse then him not spelling it right.

lol

i like N'Gai, his voice is soothing.

But hearing Amy henning after Lorne Lanning, was just really hard to go through.

C4Lukins said:

This is exactly what I expected to happen. I knew the majority of GAF would only focus on the vocabulary criticisms and call into question my intelligence level. I hope he becomes a permanent member of the 1UP show since you guys love hearing him pontificate about high level game design theory. Myself on the other hand will pass.

Chemo

N'Gai is great, and this thread is pretty much bullshit.

Know why no one else ever wants to cover games in a legitimate fashion? Because there's no market for it. Plus, as soon as someone tries, people have to have a big thread and whine about it.

Meloche said:
All his topics are tired and overdone? By whom, exactly? Because I don't see any business analysis, NPD discussion, or intelligent discourse of any kind coming out of 1up/IGN/Gamespot/every other video game site out there minus a small few. I don't need to read gushing previews or cookie-cutter reviews about game sequel x when I can easily just watch some videos, check out screens, and read forum impressions to find out for myself whether or not the game is worth my time. The nice thing about Level Up, and Multiplayer, and the few other gaming blogs that I visit is that they're actually offering some kind of perspective of what's going on in the industry as opposed to just regurgitating press releases and company spiel. So he's not catering to the average reader? Fuck the average reader; they can read something else. I'd like to read something interesting about videogames, for once.

1up has always been far, far ahead of IGN and Gamestop in this respect. It's not even fair to lump 1up with the other two. 1up Yours is the defining podcast in the industry, mostly for at least trying to pull this off. They lost a lot when Luke left, but Shawn will fill that void nicely and more.

voltron

The great thing about having a big vocabulary is it allows one to express themselves more accurately, and once you have the words to use at your disposal its hard not to use them. I dont understand why you(OP) have a problem with this.

And N'Gai doesnt ask or seek out the attention he garners. He does his job and does it well. Same with his 1upyours appearances.

madmook

I don't think his use of fancy-schmancy words shows disregard to gamers. I think people like the op are just surprised when game discussion is elevated above "big-ass guns" and "awesome explosions". IMO its going to be a long time before gaming is regarded as a "mature" medium (and I don't mean in age), but its cool to me that there are people out there trying to do just that.

jacobs34

FirstInHell said:
This is exactly what I expected to happen. I knew the majority of GAF would only focus on the vocabulary criticisms and call into question my intelligence level.

This is an open forum and you decided to create a thread siting your disapproval for someone. There's a place for this, it's called your journal, not a thread for a message board. Next time try writing a post about what kind of coverage you want to see out of game "jounalist". You may get a better response, but I doubt it.

Mojovonio said:
I think you being the 20th person to quote that is even worse then him not spelling it right.

lol

i like N'Gai, his voice is soothing.

But hearing Amy henning after Lorne Lanning, was just really hard to go through.

Because Lorne is a better salesman? I can't speak worth a shit, but give me time and I can get the words down on paper. The same seemed to be true of Amy.

What do they even have to do with this topic, anyway?

FirstInHell said:
This is exactly what I expected to happen. I knew the majority of GAF would only focus on the vocabulary criticisms and call into question my intelligence level. I hope he becomes a permanent member of the 1UP show since you guys love hearing him pontificate about high level game design theory. Myself on the other hand will pass.

There are plenty of podcasts that don't try to do anything other than "watcha been playing." Not many try to do anything more.

When Shawn Elliot talks about narrative and game design, I listen. When N'Gai gets rolling, I zone out. It is all in the delivery.

Mojovonio said:
Hey OP, maybe you should comment on his weight too!

Why you gotta be so hatin'?

Why would I do that? I have nothing against the guy since I don't know him. He is probably a nice guy. I am just pissed that he ruins the 1up show whenever he is a guest.

Mojovonio

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Because Lorne is a better salesman? I can't speak worth a shit, but give me time and I can get the words down on paper. The same seemed to be true of Amy.

What do they even have to do with this topic, anyway?

What does anything have to do with this topic?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
As someone who's actually met the guy, you couldn't be more wrong. I don't agree with everything N'Gai says, but I certainly respect him. He's one of the most courteous and professional people I've ever met.

lexi

Banned
dammitmattt said:
1up has always been far, far ahead of IGN and Gamestop in this respect. It's not even fair to lump 1up with the other two. 1up Yours is the defining podcast in the industry, mostly for at least trying to pull this off. They lost a lot when Luke left, but Shawn will fill that void nicely and more.

Uhh, do you mean Shane?

Top Bottom