• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Mafia |OT| Memento Mori

I wanna give Style the benefit of the doubt since this is like his second game and I don't think he's played in months. I know I've had a hard time getting my footing with Mafia (then again this is me were talking about >>;)

FluxWaveZ

Yeah... you know, I don't really like the implications of voting "to gain trust back" and the statement that he'll follow Sorian's lead like a good little lapdog for no reason.

Vote: Style

Also feel like voting for franconp because of this whole RNG stuff, with the impetus of his conflict with it coming from when the vote landed on him. Pressure votes work best when they're actually pressuring people, and boy do they seem effective on franconp right now.

Verelios

I wanna give Style the benefit of the doubt since this is like his second game and I don't think he's played in months. I know I've had a hard time getting my footing with Mafia (then again this is me were talking about >>;)
Your second post since day start is a bid for Style? That's far too easy for my taste and a very milquetoast way to try and stay above board while seeming active.

Hannibal Lector decision, thumbs up or down!

Vote:StarSketch

Thumbs down. Give me something to change my mind.

Natiko

Banned
I agree that Style seems a bit off. Not as sure on franconp. It was an odd argument to make, but he didn't place a vote on Sorian so he wasn't too eager to put pressure on Sorian.

Regardless, I'm keeping my vote on Kerned. Since placing it, he's come in and posted a few times without actually saying anything of relevance. Seems a bit suspect.

Style

Banned
I was just trying to shake things up since Sorian said I had connections to Vanguard. Backfire of the year. Woe me. o|-<

Your second post since day start is a bid for Style? That's far too easy for my taste and a very milquetoast way to try and stay above board while seeming active.

I dislike funneling on newbies day one. is that such a huge scum tell to you? If he's still acting like this Day 2 then yeah, go right ahead.

I'm also usually quiet day one, in case you haven't noticed.

Verelios

I dislike funneling on newbies day one. is that such a huge scum tell to you? If he's still acting like this Day 2 then yeah, go right ahead.

I'm also usually quiet day one, in case you haven't noticed.
This is Style's second (?) game so interesting you'd use that reasoning. Also, I didn't have a problem with you being quiet, it's the content of your post I had a problem with. It's a very easy way to try and earn some town points while coasting.

Sorian

Banned
Let's make a summary:

So Sorian don't think it's a good idea to RNG at this point:

Plop vote's by RNG:

So that's a town read from Sorian:

Weird right?

I say that voting by RNG to an active player is bullshit (which is something similar as Sorian said before):

So Sorian thinks I'm overreacting for saying something similar as him:

Really weird right?

Then Sorian said that I wasn't talking about the RNG (which it was the main point of my post):

It's reaaaaally weird or I'm going crazy?

And Sorian pointed out that new scum players wouldn't do that (as they play alone and make strategies with more experienced players):

I'm still waiting on a response on that.

Opinions?

Using the phrase RNG in one way doesn't change its definition. You insinuated that an RNG vote would somehow make you ineligible for a vote because you've posted a lot. That is a factually incorrect statement. I then called ou on it because of some pretense that posting a lot puts you above being voted. I jumped a bit on my logic there but that needs to be done this early on. As for your question, are we really going to pretend that scum is running every move past each other? Could a veteran have told them to act dumb right below me with an RNG vote? Sure, am I going to assume that right out the gate? Nope. There are 19 of you that I have to read, I'll take some shortcuts day 1.

I agree that Style seems a bit off. Not as sure on franconp. It was an odd argument to make, but he didn't place a vote on Sorian so he wasn't too eager to put pressure on Sorian.

Regardless, I'm keeping my vote on Kerned. Since placing it, he's come in and posted a few times without actually saying anything of relevance. Seems a bit suspect.

This is Style's second (?) game so interesting you'd use that reasoning. Also, I didn't have a problem with you being quiet, it's the content of your post I had a problem with. It's a very easy way to try and earn some town points while coasting.

You guys make good points. StarSketch and Style both seem suspicious, but I'm tentatively leaning toward Style at this point.

Sorian

Banned
And the town read part? That's what I find more strange. So RGN is bad but 4 post later is a town read? That isn't weird?

And to answer this directly. Not at all. Scum would have tip toed there assuming at least average play. So either it's a bad play or a townie.

Sorian

Banned
What a quick catch up. Ok, I'm not really going to add anything new to the style and Star reads at this point. Star is about as suspicious as she always is though. Doubt this was a scum Star protecting a scum Style since she does this all the time where she randomly shows up and just comments on what's fresh. Style cares about his image (or persona ohoho) a lot so I don't disagree with the vote. I'll let you all pile and make him sweat though.

I see no reason to move my vanguard vote at the moment.

Sorian

Banned
Random musings from 1 in the morning since I'm by myself.

Why did Zipped do so little?

Is Style the scum caught in over their head or town that scum is looking at for an easy mislynch?

What is fran's deal? He had an argument just as asinine day 1 of overwatch so this isn't exactly scumtell central but his logic is reading as faulty on so many levels, I hesitate to call it a scum push though because it appears others aren't seeing it either.

Where is my boy Rats?

Verelios is getting my town gut feeling so far. Where as I can point to specific instances that make me lean town on plop and....uh, the guy with the N looking blue avatar (on mobile, too lazy to check usernames, I apologize). Verelios has done all of nothing but I sense no malice is what he's typed.

inb4 Vanguard and Style are both scum and I ruffled a chunk of the scum team with my strike.

Hey everybody. Checking in after an 11 hour shift (working inventory at a major retailer in November - woo hoo!).

I don't have much to say just yet. Sure is Day One in here. My thoughts on this phase of the game are a matter of public record. I'll try to contribute more later in the week when I'm less exhausted. You don't have to worry about me, though, I'm Town.

franconp

Post before leaving for work:

Who goes to a concert on a Tuesday. (&#12539;_&#12539;&#12542;)

So you dropped the point? I don't like how all the following post are just fluff.

Why would you give someone the benefit of the doubt because it's new. Newbies can be scum too. It should matter if you are new or experienced in the game but what you post and Style post are really bad.

I was just trying to shake things up since Sorian said I had connections to Vanguard. Backfire of the year. Woe me. o|-<

Every post you make sound scummy. Like you are trying to hard to get on the good side. If you are town it shouldn't matter to you. You should try to poke reactions, not clear your name. That's scum behavior.

Hey everybody. Checking in after an 11 hour shift (working inventory at a major retailer in November - woo hoo!).

I don't have much to say just yet. Sure is Day One in here. My thoughts on this phase of the game are a matter of public record. I'll try to contribute more later in the week when I'm less exhausted. You don't have to worry about me, though, I'm Town.

I hope we can get more of you before phase end. Even if it's day one you should give some thoughts. We can't work with nothing and that's a scum tell in my book.

Sounds legit

I'm still waiting on the reasons of the vote. To me it's still RNG so you contradicted yourself in the same post. Not good.

Sorian

Banned
I'm still waiting on the reasons of the vote. To me it's still RNG so you contradicted yourself in the same post. Not good.

The reason seemed fairly clear to me, he didn't like the angle you were working and was voting you to make you change course. Take it or leave it as an actual good reason but I'm not sure why you're throwing out what was laid there and calling it RNG.

franconp

The reason seemed fairly clear to me, he didn't like the angle you were working and was voting you to make you change course. Take it or leave it as an actual good reason but I'm not sure why you're throwing out what was laid there and calling it RNG.

But he didn't say anything. Why I have to assume that he is voting for that? I want him to give his reasons of his voting. I want everyone to give the reasons of their voting. How can you expect someone to defend himself if you don't give them nothing to work with. And how can you make reads from the voting patterns if you don't have any reasons? If the reason is weak you have something to look after when I'm lynched and flip town. Right now you have only your assumptions.

And I don't like how you came to his rescue and give he a reason. I'm sure he can defend himself. I'm hoping to hear more from him.

Style

Banned
I'm not taking my vote off of you until you make a post that doesn't make me go "wait... what?"

My posts will always make you go "wait... what?" though. Remember last game where you were adamant on my role and running a crusade on me again because you thought I was weird and surprise surprise I turned out to be town aligned.

Why would you give someone the benefit of the doubt because it's new. Newbies can be scum too. It should matter if you are new or experienced in the game but what you post and Style post are really bad.
Eh, it's normal to give new people some leeway because getting voted out d1 sucks and we value the community and especially want new people to enjoy themselves. But we do have a lot of new players in this game so I'm personally giving next to none.

Not that i necessarily agree with the practice or anything. Meta, i have seen star murder herself before in other games. And I'm not that worried on general meta, though don't approve of where it can lead.

Lol, rng

Sorian

Banned
But he didn't say anything. Why I have to assume that he is voting for that? I want him to give his reasons of his voting. I want everyone to give the reasons of their voting. How can you expect someone to defend himself if you don't give them nothing to work with. And how can you make reads from the voting patterns if you don't have any reasons? If the reason is weak you have something to look after when I'm lynched and flip town. Right now you have only your assumptions.

And I don't like how you came to his rescue and give he a reason. I'm sure he can defend himself. I'm hoping to hear more from him.

I'm confused, are you mad because I can read what you are missing?

Just joined the lunch mob myself so i can post a bit but I'll be actively mostly in evening here.

Vote: franconp

This rng thing is much ado about nothing. Rng votes are dumb enough on their own without centering the day's discussion on them. Let's turn that energy somewhere else.

I understand wanting to hear more straight from the source but you are just blatantly ignoring what is already written.

Eh, it's drink o'clock here and I'm at a bar. Makes sense in context, saw the quote and reacted. Still all working according to &#35336;&#30011; (translator's note, this means plan).

FluxWaveZ

My posts will always make you go "wait... what?" though. Remember last game where you were adamant on my role and running a crusade on me again because you thought I was weird and surprise surprise I turned out to be town aligned.

I actually don't but, regardless, what makes you think you're not going to be one of the most likely lynch targets when your posts generally have a scummy vibe and you even state that they'll continue to be that way moving forward?

TheExodu5

Banned
Vote: Rynam

I've played quite a few games with Rynam now. In my experience, he gives himself away pretty easily. I think his silence is an attempt at mitigating that.

I wouldn't call him super active by any means and I'd completely believe today was just a busy day but what he did do while he was here rubs me wrong. Felt like following a script.

Almost like I had pretyped posts from the before the game that I just rolled out when I logged in?

I'm joking, that's just silly.

On catching the up I really don't understand the style vote. Style could just as easily be a player with their first power role. That role could still be scum, but that's my 20-second read.

I'm not swayed to change my vote from RNG to anyone else. But I'm still watching and typing.

FluxWaveZ

On catching the up I really don't understand the style vote. Style could just as easily be a player with their first power role. That role could still be scum, but that's my 20-second read.

What are you talking about? What in Style's behavior has you thinking that he could have a power role?

Natiko

Banned
This seems like a really weak argument. It would basically give you a free pass going forward just because "lol zany".

Is it normal for a new player to have absolutely no idea who might be scum while everyone else seems to be making theories?

I'm reading posts from everyone else where they're finding little signs here and there from others that they latch onto, while I'm here thinking "boy that sure did seem like a totally normal post…"

FluxWaveZ

Is it normal for a new player to have absolutely no idea who might be scum while everyone else seems to be making theories?

I'm reading posts from everyone else where they're finding little signs here and there from others that they latch onto, while I'm here thinking "boy that sure did seem like a totally normal post…"

No one has any idea who might be scum (except for scum). That's the point: there are 4-5 bad guys here and their entire goal is to blend in so that we end up killing one of our own. A lot of the game will be people pointing at things and deriving conclusions from them that are ultimately wrong.

You need to use your own intuition to divine anything at all that could be a tell. A good way to do this is to actually post your own thoughts about whatever might stand out to you and what that means to you.

If you just generally look at every post like a "normal one" without trying to discern any possible hint within it, or trying to form connections between what someone is posting and what someone else might have posted or will post, then the good guys will lose.

TheExodu5

Banned

First day is like that. Intuition to start out with, and get discussion going. Odds are we hit town. What's important is that we get enough discussion going to get a bit of a conversational history which will help single out scum in the future.

We have little information to go on. Little tells that may or may not be indicative of scummy behavior. We might read people wrong, but it's better than blindly voting.

TheExodu5

Banned
To add more of my own thoughts and to give new players some idea of different thought processes:

This game is only 20 players, which makes things a bit more manageable. But players might still go unnoticed for a few days if they play low key. These are the players we should initially look out for. I'd also be wary of experienced players steering discussion. Experienced scum will be bold and confident enough to try this on day 1.

Sorian is probably the most experienced here, though I've never played with him so I'm unfamiliar with his playstyle. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the confidence of his posts as well as how he is definitely taking the reins. I don't read him as scum, but I would be wary if he's still around in a few days. If he's town, he's going to be a prime scum target. If he's scum, he'll continue steering discussion in scum's favor.

Rynam

Vote: Rynam

I've played quite a few games with Rynam now. In my experience, he gives himself away pretty easily. I think his silence is an attempt at mitigating that.

Yes I'm pretty silent, I know that's not ideal if you're town (What I am) but I can't help it.

Top Bottom