• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

DC have extended the Catwoman story by one issue.
BATMAN #14 & #15
(W) Tom King (A) Mitch Gerads (CA) Stephanie Hans
How do you solve a problem like Selina Kyle? Is she a hero? Is she a villain? Can Batman and Catwoman ever really work things out? The award-winning team of Tom King and Mitch Gerads of Babylon (SHERIFF OF BABYLON) bring you “Rooftops,” a story in which Batman must decide once and for all what to do about Catwoman.
RATED T

New coloring book.

BC: New covers and variant covers.

BC: Cutting down on retailer exclusive covers and their reasoning.

kmfdmpig

What is the point of Annotated Watchmen without Moore commentary?

Ugh

Agreed.
That press release doesn't even mention who is providing the commentary. If it's Gibbons or someone like Morrison or Busiek or something then that would be interesting. If it's namely corporate WB employee #487 then who really cares as there is plenty of good commentary and analysis on the book already.

Slapstick for Avi

It writes itself

Ok now Im invested -

Turkish - Taskmaster. The longsuffering straight man with terrible luck.

Tommy - Solo. The inept moron with occasional moments of brilliance.

Bullet Tooth Tony - Foolkiller. Polite, professional, deadly.

Mickey - Masacre. Incomprehensible, no one knows why he is there, but kind of a badass.

Brick Top - Bullseye. Old school sadist at the top of his game.

Avi - Slapstick. Comically frustrated and just trying to make money. Foul and over the top.

Boris the Blade - Crossbones. Crazy, hard as nails, and pretty off kilter. Also an awful person

Lincoln and Co - Chameleon, The Shocker and Rhino. They just wanna be taken seriously guys!

Frankie Four Fingers - Agent X. Capable idiot with weird addictions.

So they're extending the story people have been complaining about? I wonder if the extra issue will address those complaints.

Nah, they're turning the epilogue issue into its own story instead before the next arc. At first it was one Catwoman issue with art by Hans and then on to the story reuniting Gerads and King(before Sheriff 2 is revealed)with a Swamp Thing issue kicking it off. Now it looks like the Hans(if it didn't get scrapped) and Swamp Thing issues might show up the month after

Ross61

So they're extending the story people have been complaining about? I wonder if the extra issue will address those complaints.
This ain't an extension of I am Suicide.

I wonder if
Maxwell Lord
ties into the bigger Rebirth mystery.

Kind of like this CW inspired Atom Ryan Choi suit:
unnamed.jpg

JLA is going to be fantastic isn't it?

Foofaraw

So, I dropped Power Rangers a few months ago, and just read the last issue I'm subbed to, 10.

I made a mistake. Power Rangers is great. I don't even like the concept that much, but this book is a lot of fun with consistent art.

Why is everyone still surprised that all the new X-books look like garbage? I don't know why Marvel is pretending to care about this property. Does Marvel have much great writer talent at this point that they could even throw at the X-men if they actually wanted to? Can't we have a Hickman run? (Obviously not, too many Image books from him.)

At least I pay my minimum fee to read Marvel. MCU is the only thing that keeps me reading their stories at all.

Why is everyone still surprised that all the new X-books look like garbage? I don't know why Marvel is pretending to care about this property. Does Marvel have much great writer talent at this point that they could even throw at the X-men if they actually wanted to? Can't we have a Hickman run? (Obviously not, too many Image books from him.)

At least I pay my minimum fee to read Marvel. MCU is the only thing that keeps me reading their stories at all.

They don't though. Blue looks bad to me. Gold looks bland. Gen X could go any ol' way, the premise sounds great but the writer is not a known quantity. Jean will probably be a good comic. Iceman might even be a great one.

So it's a very mixed bag which isn't surprising at all.

Edit: and thinking back, it seems like the only widely reviled announcements were Gold and Blue. The other three books received mixed to positive reactions, I believe.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ok now Im invested -

Turkish - Taskmaster. The longsuffering straight man with terrible luck.

Tommy - Solo. The inept moron with occasional moments of brilliance.

Bullet Tooth Tony - Foolkiller. Polite, professional, deadly.

Mickey - Masacre. Incomprehensible, no one knows why he is there, but kind of a badass.

Brick Top - Bullseye. Old school sadist at the top of his game.

Avi - Slapstick. Comically frustrated and just trying to make money. Foul and over the top.

Boris the Blade - Crossbones. Crazy, hard as nails, and pretty off kilter. Also an awful person

Lincoln and Co - Chameleon, The Shocker and Rhino. They just wanna be taken seriously guys!

Frankie Four Fingers - Agent X. Capable idiot with weird addictions.

Sounds good to me. Go pitch it to Marvel. :)

Owzers

Shutter vol 1: Initially i was a little iffy on the book because i didn't get a sense of the overall setting.
Was it always a crazy world, or did Kate's family through their exploration bring the craziness to Earth?
. But it's sharply written and I loved how briskly Keatinge moved the book, throughout the entire trade there didn't seem to be any wasted moments/pages. Random 8/10 and a full recommendation.

shingi70

Banned
Let's play a game where you pitch a comic book to the big two.

One of my dream pitch's is Shazam done in the style of Power Rangers. Each of the Shazam siblings gets an ounce of the power of Shazam and have a special slower based on one of the five letters in Shazam. It would skew all ages but can get serious when it wants. A very Bright and colorful artstye that's very Manga included (think Babs Tarr).

The main Villain would be Mr.Mind with Doctor Silvana being the bumbling Monster Creator that typically shows up in Sentai. The series would run 25 issues consisting of 24 main issues and one annual. The stories would mostly be 1 and dones or two partners with an ongoing narrative.

Black Adam would show up around issue six as an antagonist before joining the Shazam kids in the role of a sixth Ranger.

I'd follow it up with two other Series The Metal Men which would be similar to Shazam being a PR send up just focusing on technology instead of Magic, and Blue Beetle which obviously lends itself to Kamen Rider Overtones.

..../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

Are you buying the single volumes or the box sets?

(Also kind of annoyed that the Christmas box set turned out to be a "double-dip").

The Box sets, when it's possible. Yes it is, don't know what they were thinking.

It's so great to read this stories again and in such a good quality.

I know, I was initially a bit disappointed with the new Dishonored so I picked up WD2 on a whim and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Hah, don't say that, I have Dishonored sitting for after. WD2 is definitely doing something for me though. Playing it completely different to the original too. The last game I was very much like okay lets get through this shitshow, very much push through the narrative, play it as much as a linear thing as possible. Here, I'm spending a lot of time in the open world. It has nice solid consistent rules and parameters to the world but also the special helping of you never quiiiite know what's going to happen during your best laid plans. It's making a good palette cleanser between long pokemon sessions.

I love that everyone loves Power Rangers. I probably won't read it, Higgins really rubs me up the wrong way with his writing at DC, I found his style, dialogue, plots, everything really to be spectacularly dull. BUT. 6 year old me loved the power rangers to death, lived and breathed it, and it's nice to see some enthusiasm for the property. It's all a smart way to enjoy the green/white ranger without the modern day state of his sad old washed up reality slapping you in the face.

I love that everyone loves Power Rangers. I probably won't read it, Higgins really rubs me up the wrong way with his writing at DC, I found his style, dialogue, plots, everything really to be spectacularly dull. BUT. 6 year old me loved the power rangers to death, lived and breathed it, and it's nice to see some enthusiasm for the property. It's all a smart way to enjoy the green/white ranger without the reality of his sad old washed up reality slapping you in the face.
I felt the same way you did about Higgins after reading his amazingly boring Nightwing run, but Power Rangers is legit something else. Like, it's way better than it should be and that's awesome. It's fun.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've read issue 1 of Power Rangers, got to read the rest. Might do so over the weekend.

Also, Donnie, is WD2 that good? :( I want it but I have SO MANY games I need to get through, plus I have Forza Horizon 3 and Pokemon on the way from Santa
3AQmK.gif

Ghost Rider #1: I don't know what to think of this.

There is a b plot in this issue featuring
the Totally Awesome Hulk - that never connects to Robbie or Ghost Rider or any of his supporting cast in any way - that runs for nine pages (out of twenty for the main story)
. By contrast, Ghost Rider
is featured in a measly three pages of this story, two of them a spread
. How did this make it past editorial. It is baffling.

The little brother, Gabe, is really frickin annoying.

The second story does feature
almost twice as much Ghost Rider as the first story despite being half as long
, but it is saddled with an unfortunately terrible character in Rhonda Rubens
- aka Pyston Nitro -
who really does use the word "swole" in her first panel of dialogue.

Not sure if drop or one more issue. Should they get a re-do? Gabe might be a dealbreaker

Ghost Rider #1: I don't know what to think of this.

There is a b plot in this issue featuring
the Totally Awesome Hulk - that never connects to Robbie or Ghost Rider or any of his supporting cast in any way - that runs for nine pages (out of twenty for the main story)
. By contrast, Ghost Rider
is featured in a measly three pages of this story, two of them a spread
. How did this make it past editorial. It is baffling.

The little brother, Gabe, is really frickin annoying.

The second story does feature
almost twice as much Ghost Rider as the first story despite being half as long
, but it is saddled with an unfortunately terrible character in Rhonda Rubens
- aka Pyston Nitro -
who really does use the word "swole" in her first panel of dialogue.

Not sure if drop or one more issue. Should they get a re-do? Gabe might be a dealbreaker

It is related. The cover of Issue #4 shows Hulk, Wolverine, and Silk all attacking Ghost Rider. I imagine the cover is deceptive but they're all still fighting that purple monster, so this arc is only just beginning.

I felt the same way you did about Higgins after reading his amazingly boring Nightwing run, but Power Rangers is legit something else. Like, it's way better than it should be and that's awesome. It's fun.

Hurrrm. It's exactly the nightwing run and then gates of gotham to an extent I used as a touchstone for his work lol. I haven't read any of his image work though.

Also, Donnie, is WD2 that good? :( I want it but I have SO MANY games I need to get through, plus I have Forza Horizon 3 and Pokemon on the way from Santa
3AQmK.gif

Yea, I mean I'll be honest man, I was buying a slim anyway, and I had all the other games in the other bundles, and this one got me WD2 & Dishonored2 (which I did want) so I really viewed WD2 as a freebie. Thus I think it's fair to say my thoughts are not any sort of attempt to validate my purchase haha. Having a really good time though, I think it's the closest Ubi has ever come to tapping into that spur of the moment fun that can be extracted from roaming around in GTA. The themes and ideas the story deals with are still very broad without much nuance, but the cast are much more likeable than I expected and it's just a fun world to inhabit, lots of style and colour, and the game systems are solid (which I think was true of WD1 tbf despite many of it's other fundamental flaws). It's not my favourite game of the season so I wouldn't advocate running out and overspending to ge tit, but it is providing a good time. You know it's onto something when you find yourself squeezing in 10 mins, 20 minute sessions when you can.

Sandfox

The interesting thing about Ghost Rider is that a major complaint about the original series was the lack of crossover and now it seems like Smith has gone too far in the other direction.

PsychBat!

Banned
The interesting thing about Ghost Rider is that a major complaint about the original series was the lack of crossover and now it seems like Smith has gone too far in the other direction.

This is pretty much the problem. I really preferred the former direction.

Top Bottom