• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Release Date: May 16, 2014

Mory Dunz

Dream List:

Mario Kart 8 in April
SSBU in May
SSB3DS in Fall for second wind of Smash U sales
X in Fall 2014
Yoshi's Yarn Holiday 2014
Zelda Wii U Holiday 2014

Boom.

Even though it hasn't even been announced, I also feel that Pokemon Something game will be for the Wii U and come out in late 2014.

EDIT:
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense for 3DS Smash to come out a lot later than Wii U smash. 3DS Smash will sell like crazy no matter what. Wii U Smash could be affected by 3DS Smash so it's best to release it earlier.

Technically, it did. Sakurai started brainstorming for SSB4 somewhen in Feb, according to his twitter. SSB4 itself (engine, etc) should start somewhen in May 2012. Since they have enough time to finish first prototype engine during mid-June.
I'd say brainstorming probably started back in early '11 when they first announced the game and already had some features like the 3DS/Wii U connectivity concept out there, but development of the game definitely wouldn't have been before Uprising even went gold, which was more my original point.

Seeing how he was the director and, I would assume, was involved in pretty much every step of development, I think this is an accurate frametime for Melee's development, or at least as closer as we will get to find out.

And then this just gets posted, hah. I would gladly eat my words if Ryce could shed some light here, I'm intrigued as to what would be the entire development time for Melee for real.
From what I remember from Ryce, Melee's design documents were completed in '99 after the first game was completed and development commenced immediately afterwards, putting the game's dev cycle closer to two years than the 13 months people normally throw out there. I think that quote is more referring to 13 months without any leave or weekends off, and almost non-stop overtime, rather than the game being started and finished in a little over a year. That being said Melee *does* feel the most unfinished content-wise to the other two games.

Mariolee

I'd say brainstorming probably started back in early '11 when they first announced the game and already had some features like the 3DS/Wii U connectivity concept out there, but development of the game definitely wouldn't have been before Uprising even went gold, which was more my original point.

From what I remember from Ryce, Melee's design documents were completed in '99 after the first game was completed and development commenced immediately afterwards, putting the game's dev cycle closer to two years than the 13 months people normally throw out there. I think that quote is more referring to 13 months without any leave or weekends off, and almost non-stop overtime, rather than the game being started and finished in a little over a year. That being said Melee *does* feel the most unfinished content-wise to the other two games.

I would definitely disagree.

Even though it hasn't even been announced, I also feel that Pokemon Something game will be for the Wii U and come out in late 2014.

EDIT:
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense for 3DS Smash to come out a lot later than Wii U smash. 3DS Smash will sell like crazy no matter what. Wii U Smash could be affected by 3DS Smash so it's best to release it earlier.

Exactly. I totally forgot about the Pokken Fighters game or whatever. Building off the hype from X and Y, Wii U is going to have a good 2014.

jmizzal

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 3DS release date with Smash for Wii U arriving this fall. I do remember hearing that they might not release both versions at the same date, though I could be wrong.

They would be foolish to put out the 3DS version firs that system is doing fine they need people to buy the WiiU version and buy WiiU's.

I would definitely disagree.
Half the newcomer cast are clones Sakurai self-admittedly had made to inflate the game's originally small roster after more original ones had to be cut for time, which this (admittedly from a banned user and they didn't post the Famitsu article) post insinuates was a last-minute decision. There's a couple cut stages like Akaneia and a second IC stage. There's evidence in the game's code Ganondorf would've had an original sword-based moveset.

When I say 'unfinished', I'm not making a comment about the game's actual gameplay or mechanics being unsatisfactory, just that from the outset it feels like it had more cut content or last-minute ideas than SSB64 or Brawl did.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Another thing we should remember is Iwata DID say that they were looking to strengthen their development time due to Nintendo being notoriously known for first party games taking a while after the console is released to come out, and having various delays. For all we know they might have stealthly allocated more "help" into development of Smash U at the time or right after he made that statement.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will be pretty fucking surprised if Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros all release before June. Especially when the latter hasn't had hands-on demos for the press, while the former two have. Smash Bros. 4 at E3 2014 in a big way would be my guess, with a release shortly after, if not their big holiday game.

GAMERG0D

Dream List:
Donkey Kong in February
Mario Kart 8 in April
SSBU in May
SSB3DS in Fall for second wind of Smash U sales
X in Fall 2014
Yoshi's Yarn Holiday 2014
Zelda Wii U Holiday 2014

Boom.
Don't forget the AC Plaza app ends in 2014 so possible AC Wii U will probably come out. Nintendo is going to do really well next year, I believe.

SuperSah

Banned
They should release a beta demo which allows us to play as maybe two characters on standard battlefield stages.

That'd tie us over. :p

Lothars

This would be incredible, I am so excited for Smash Brothers, it's really the must have game for both the Wii-U and 3DS.

Azure J

There's no way Smash isn't either the big holiday game or fall game next year unless Zelda is planned for a release next year.

deleted

If true, that could make Nintendos first half of 2014 utterly fantastic!

Donkey Kong in March,
Mario Kart in April
SSBU in May

Maybe Bayonetta 2 before summer and Yoshi may have a shot too. That and maybe one or two Gamecube/3DS ports? More than solid from Nintendos side.

That said - I believe it, when I hear it from Sakurai AND it hasn't changed in April 2014. SSB would be perfect for a fall release.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This would be a dream come true. It's right after my graduation.

Zalman

I don't believe it. I was actually surprised when they said 2014 since Sakurai and his team just starting working on it after Kid Icarus. But man, it sure would be amazing.

Jackano

What's with random dates fakes?

Nintendo never plan a release date so much far in the future. It's not your yearly CoD release date you can guess 3 years in advance by pointing out the obvious week before black friday.
Did Nintendo ever planned a release date so much far? I guess not.

CrisKre

IF they managed to release mk8 and smash in succession early 2014 it could be a really great thing for wiiu and maybe manage some momentum. The question would be wether they can managing support throughout the year.

Maybe the drought at the beginning of 2013 has managed to leave a decently packed schedule for next year? Hope so.

Zalman

IF they managed to release mk8 and smash in succession early 2014 it could be a really great thing for wiiu and maybe manage some momentum. The question would be wether they can managing support throughout the year.

Maybe the drought at the beginning of 2013 has managed to leave a decently packed schedule for next year? Hope so.
Well, IF Smash, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, X, Yoshi and FExSMT all come out next year, then we have about a game every other month. And that's not even counting what they will eventually announce throughout the year. I think it looks pretty good so far. I just think most of those will launch in the second half, so I'm a little nervous about the first. It's kind of a good thing that Donkey Kong was delayed now that you think about it.

Nintendo already made many times the mistake of showing the same game twice at e3 long before launch date. Last time with ZeldaSS, when it then finally launched all hype was gone and the novelty of the controls didn't feel as a novelty anymore.
I think Nintendo has learnt they can't keep one game's momentum going forever if then it's continuously postponed. Even Iwata stated this in an interview if I'm not wrong.

An around-e3 launch is the best for SSB in my opinion.

Sendou

Nintendo already made many times the mistake of showing the same game twice at e3 long before launch date. Last time with ZeldaSS, when it then finally launched all hype was gone and the novelty of the controls didn't feel as a novelty anymore.
I think Nintendo has learnt they can't keep one game's momentum going forever if then it's continuously postponed. Even Iwata stated this in an interview if I'm not wrong.

That's why the Direct last January made no sense.

Sendou

definitely dreaming there, it it released in japan today you'd be lucky to get it then

What do you expect then? Nintendo already announced they were releasing it everywhere in 2014 and we also know that the translating process started early with this game.

balohna

A spring release of SSB and MK could be smart if Nintendo has something else lined up for next fall. They seem to be playing their cards close to their chest lately. Like, nobody knew about SM3W until this past E3 but it's coming out in 2 months.

Also, being a Nintendo game means it could easily get delayed.

As a European who miserably waited 2 years for Brawl...
thinknot-1.gif

Also, it's from a retailer listing? Are you people dumb?! According to retailer listings, Animal Crossing New Leaf came out on 6th June 2011.

Flowmoney

Wouldn't actually be surprising at all. They aren't making any new movesets for majority of the characters and only adding a few new additions. There is really no thinking going on how a character should be tweaked other than graphics/effects and them working on things like story.

L~A

What's with random dates fakes?

Nintendo never plan a release date so much far in the future. It's not your yearly CoD release date you can guess 3 years in advance by pointing out the obvious week before black friday.
Did Nintendo ever planned a release date so much far? I guess not.

There was Pokémon X and Y, which were announced for October back in January. Official release date was revealed at E3, about 4 months before release.

Wouldn't actually be surprising at all. They aren't making any new movesets for majority of the characters and only adding a few new additions. There is really no thinking going on how a character should be tweaked other than graphics/effects and them working on things like story.

Hmm? I don't remember Sakurai giving any precise details about gameplay, let alone movesets.

Timeaisis

Yeah, there's no way. As much as I want it in may, it's much more likely for Fall/Winter 2014. First half of 2014 is Mario Kart 8.

Muzy72

Banned
I would be very happy but shocked if they announced worldwide release for Super Smash Bros.
Shocked? Most major Nintendo releases these days have been worldwide releases. Hell, even Kid Icarus with it's shittons of voice acting had a worldwide release. I'd be shocked if it didn't have a worldwide release tbh

I doubt it's their big holiday game, but I imagine releasing it around the time summer begins would be ideal.

They'll announce a few more games for release next year for sure. I'm guessing Zelda U will be their big holiday 2014 title, along with a couple of others to help it out.

2014 is looking like a pretty great year for the Wii U.

Richie

Really man? 14 characters have returned with the same movesets. Its not really rocket science.

Bowser has shown to be heavily reworked, Pit has new moves as well, and Peach's initial Miiverse photo stated that her moves may change in the final product.
I do believe you may be making a conclusion too soon, my friend.

Kolma

oFjMdII.png

Figured you guys would be interested in seeing this.
There is no listing for the Wii U version yet however.

jmizzal

A spring release of SSB and MK could be smart if Nintendo has something else lined up for next fall. They seem to be playing their cards close to their chest lately. Like, nobody knew about SM3W until this past E3 but it's coming out in 2 months.

Also, being a Nintendo game means it could easily get delayed.

Yea a Q2 release of Smash and Mario Kart U will be very smart, those games will sale anytime they come out they dont need to be released in the Fall.

They have a LOT of characters to reveal then.

Well its Oct right now, if that date is right that would be 8 more months to reveal characters thats a very long time

Top Bottom