• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
Haha, I love the idea of him being so raged by the Kimi fanboyism he just HAD to post.

That should hurt you, Jerk.

Harbinger-Arrival_Hologram.png

'sup.

Dilly

Banned

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Hi

I'm a long-time lurker. For years now. I just logged in this time to say that Ark has a point. I'd like you to know that. You're just too darn annoying, most of the time.

Don't do it too much, but this time, I'm backing you :)

Sorry for being negative this time.
I'd like all the rest to keep doing what they do, this threads always cracks me up!

'sup Vishnu!

Button proved he was a worthy champion in his second race at McLaren in 2010, when he won Australia. An 'unworthy' champion is only unworthy if he doesn't show any racing prowess after that championship, ala Hill and Jacques..

Hill nearly won a race in a Arrows, he didn't win any more races because Frank Williams is a prick.

Hill isn't quite on the level of Villeneuve but he was massively, massively overrated at the time. People were desperate to latch on to anyone against Schumi, and sadly for a time those were the two options.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hill isn't quite on the level of Villeneuve but he was massively, massively overrated at the time. People were desperate to latch on to anyone against Schumi, and sadly for a time those were the two options.
If Senna had lived... their battles would be legendary even 100 years from now with the Formula Zero G fans.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;36786300 said:
If Senna had lived... their battles would be legendary even 100 years from now with the Formula Zero G fans.
Man I can't wait for Formula Zero G.

Shit should be whack.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well this may be true, but maybe Hill was asking for way to much money? His contract was up and he just won the WDC.
Sir Frank was pretty stubborn in the nineties; Williams may have taken an entirely different path if the Hill debacle hadn't taken place and more importantly if Adrian Newey had been given the stake in the team that he wanted.

Newey in a powerful position at Williams, McLaren not rising in might during the late nineties, no titles for Mika, the Williams/Ferrari battle continuing well into the new millennium, Williams BMW domination spearheaded by Newey.

Williams the most successful team in F1.

Michael potentially at Williams.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;36787239 said:
Sir Frank was pretty stubborn in the nineties; Williams may have taken an entirely different path if the Hill debacle hadn't taken place and more importantly if Adrian Newey had been given the stake in the team that he wanted.

Newey in a powerful position at Williams, McLaren not rising in might during the late nineties, no titles for Mika, the Williams/Ferrari battle continuing well into the new millennium, Williams BMW domination spearheaded by Newey.

Williams the most successful team in F1.

Michael potentially at Williams.
It would've been interesting to say the least.

Edmond Dantès;36787700 said:

Someday this will happen, and hopefully in our lifetime.

Yoritomo

Vettel had the same advantage Button did in 2009 until Canada, he just failed to capitalise on it and reliability bit him in the arse. In 2011 he finished on the podium in every race except Germany and Abu Dhabi. It wasn't until Alonso and Ferrari got their game together in Silverstone that Vettel had a harder time grabbing the title. Also remember that the only reason he even won the title was because Ferrari made an awfully silly strategy error.

Vettel DNF'd from the lead in 2 races in 2010. Both were outside of his control. Add those back in and he was very much in the lead. The only reason it was close was due to the RB6s reliability. Vettel deserved his 2010 title even considering his numerous mistakes that year (Turkey and Belgium being the big ones, and his only mistake in Turkey was thinking Mark would yield, Mark didn't move towards the racing line at ALL, his sole purpose was to keep vettel boxed on the inside and prevent the pass/pass on the inside after the corner. Vettel though Mark would flinch but he didn't flinch at all)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Nice to see thread is back on track.

I see BBC confirming the Eddie Jordan will be at the Chinese GP this coming weekend. Must have got his business issues sorted then.

Adamm

I see BBC confirming the Eddie Jordan will be at the Chinese GP this coming weekend. Must have got his business issues sorted then.

Fuck yeah!
Cant wait to watch BBC coverage this weekend. No awkward Sky buildup this weekend :D

smiggyRT

Yeah BBC live for me, maybe catch the Sky coverage later in the week, or watch it in place of the Bahrain GP if that gets called off.

xptoxyz

Didn't he skip China for ethical reasons? I could've sworn that's what I read. Great news anyway, can't wait for the BBC coverage.

Adamm

Theres lots of reasons rumoured about why he skips it each year.
BBC give out excuses each time (sickness, volcano...busy) but I dont think we have ever been told the real reason.

I thought it was for legal reasons.
Eddie had been a big part of getting the Chinese GP of the ground & had worked closely with Yu Zhifei (ex-Deputy Manager of the GP) when it was being built.
But he was arrested a few years back & dont think eddie has been in the country since.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7176506.stm

Xun

Edmond Dantès;36794459 said:
Merc's Formula Zero concept is probably the most grounded in reality.

ibiIh6SUy9s6XL.jpg

ibrfzYavSEt7li.jpg

imHP1Cq7jqOug.jpg
Tall as fuck.

I'd love to see a more experimental F1-like series happen someday to coincide with F1.

Haha, I love the idea of him being so raged by the Kimi fanboyism he just HAD to post.

That should hurt you, Jerk.

Oh wow! so much hate over here

I just come here to have fun and poke some F1 peeps. I don't need this :)

Anyway, just came here to post this, might as well be my last post

F1 Owner Said to Seek More Than $2 Billion From IPO

The IPO may value the sport at more than $10 billion, a person with knowledge of the matter said last month. Formula One Chief Executive Officer Bernie Ecclestone has no plans to sell his 5.3 percent stake in the offering and will remain in his position under CVC’s plans, he said last month.
CVC, which owns 63.4 percent of Formula One, bought its stake in a leveraged buyout using $2.5 billion of loans. Other shareholders include the administrators of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. who hold 15.3 percent and Ecclestone’s former wife Slavica who owns 8.5 percent through Bambino Holdings Ltd.
The series has annual sales of 1.17 billion euros ($1.54 billion) and employs 200 people, according to CVC’s website.

Cheers!

Lucius86

Banned
Eh. This thread has gone weird.

I'm amazed it took the thread this long before last years bickering returned. F1 fans truly can be as bad as console fanboys...

Anyway, I don't think F1 has any right to race at Bahrain - again. Yes, it will suck with the additional break, but at the end of the day, this is just a sport. Too much crap is going on over there for our little party to pretend everything is okay and touchdown on the sands of Bahrain. If we go there, I will be very disappointed with our sport.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh wow! so much hate over here

I just come here to have fun and poke some F1 peeps. I don't need this :)

Anyway, just came here to post this, might as well be my last post

F1 Owner Said to Seek More Than $2 Billion From IPO

Cheers!
No, don't go. You're pretty damn smart as evidenced by some of your more down-to-earth posts and plus we need an irresistible force to counteract the immovable obect (Omiee). Don't let a bit of ribbing put you off posting.

New blog post on Ferrari's page with a surprisingly honest Pat Fry.

“I certainly wasn’t expecting to have one driver leading the championship. From quite early on in testing, we realised we had quite a few issues we needed to sort out. Everyone at the factory has been working hard at that, as we still have a long way to go. I think our dry qualifying performance is still around 8 tenths off the best while we want to be the best ourselves. Damp low grip conditions suit our car and flatter some of the issues we have with the F2012 at the moment. You could see that in Melbourne on Friday and again in the race in Malaysia.”

“If I was asked to rate the overall performance of the Scuderia so far, I’d mark it differently depending on different sections of the company,” continued Fry. “The team, the mechanics at the track have worked very well: in Melbourne we had the quickest pit stops and in Malaysia the speed of the pit crew and the strategy saw us gain position or time on others every time we pitted. However, ranking the actual performance of the package, I’d rate it much lower. Another plus is the way the team is responding, dealing with the stresses of trying to play catch-up. The Manufacturing department, working on some of the more aggressive requests we’ve made, has responded very well. So, it’s been a great team effort, but we haven’t done a good job in getting the car out on track to be quickest from the start.”

We are constantly working on improving the issues we have,” said Fry. “New parts are coming through and we are trying to get them to the race track as quickly as possible – We will have five updates for China, some are quite visible others less so. Then there will be a bigger upgrade package for Spain. It would be nice to have them earlier, but we have already brought forward some parts we were developing for Spain and we should have them in China.”
http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form...410-f1-Chinese-gp-still-a-long-way-to-go.aspx

Of course it's stll very optimistic.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Bahrain could be cancelled if the teams come out publicly against holding the race. One of the team principles (not named) gave an interview to a British paper at the weekend saying that they didnt want the race to go ahead.

The teams wanting it cancelled rather than Bernie, FIA saves face for him and money..

Goldrusher

Shanghai will be cold and wet.

Looking ahead to the start of Formula 1 action on Friday and the next band of wet weather is expected to sweep in from the west, but it looks like both practice sessions may just remain dry. It will be cool and cloudy with a maximum air temperature reaching just 14 degrees and this could prove interesting for the drivers, as they attempt to get heat into the soft and medium tyre compounds during race simulation runs. Showers are predicted to move in from the south-west on Friday evening and there is a strong possibility that these hang around the Shanghai region until Saturday.
It certainly needs a further couple of days just to monitor the data and see what happens with regrards to Saturday, but one certainty is that it will be another cold day with air temperature struggling to hit 12 Celsius – sweatshirts and even jackets at the ready then.

Rain is again expected for race day, but the threat will greater before midday, as the last the of showers gradually slips away to the east of Shanghai. The early forecast points to a damp and drying scenario at worst, during the late morning / early afternoon period. Temperatures will also recover slightly to a maximum of 18 degrees Celsius but it will feel far from warm under a cloudy sky.

http://f1weather.com/2012/04/09/formula-1-chinese-grand-prix-weather-early-forecast/

Adamm

Bahrain could be cancelled if the teams come out publicly against holding the race. One of the team principles (not named) gave an interview to a British paper at the weekend saying that they didnt want the race to go ahead.

The teams wanting it cancelled rather than Bernie, FIA saves face for him and money..

Is there a chance the race could go ahead with a few teams missing? Or is it all or nothing?
Im just thinking it would be interesting to see half a grid with lower teams fighting it out for podium :D

As expected =/

Who would win with half the grid there? Spectators get screwed, the championship gets a bit controversial because certain teams missed a race and lost out on points, it's negative advertising for the sport, etc etc.

The lower teams are already fighting for the podium with a full grid! Perez is proof of that.

Is there a chance the race could go ahead with a few teams missing? Or is it all or nothing?
Im just thinking it would be interesting to see half a grid with lower teams fighting it out for podium :D

With issues like this teams usually show solidarity, or at least should. It'd be disgraceful, frankly, for a team to take advantage of competitors opting not to show up. Think US 2005. I'm pretty convinced at this point that there won't be a GP in Bahrain this year one way or another, but even if there is I won't watch it.

Adamm

Who would win with half the grid there? Spectators get screwed, the championship gets a bit controversial because certain teams missed a race and lost out on points, it's negative advertising for the sport, etc etc.

The lower teams are already fighting for the podium with a full grid! Perez is proof of that.

Im not saying it should happen, it would be terrible for the sport if it did.

But I was just saying the race alone would be quite interesting - like a Sauber front row, or a Force india fighting a Williams for 3rd place :D

I don't think that would be interesting. Without the faster cars, it would just be a midfield fight with different numbers attached to their position.

Those cars fighting in the front is only interesting if the faster cars are behind them. Otherwise it's no different to them fighting in every other race.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
With issues like this teams usually show solidarity, or at least should. It'd be disgraceful, frankly, for a team to take advantage of competitors opting not to show up. Think US 2005. I'm pretty convinced at this point that there won't be a GP in Bahrain this year one way or another, but even if there is I won't watch it.
It's happened before in F1 apart from Indy 2005. Half the teams boycotted the 1982 San Marino GP due to the ground effects controversy. It also soured the relationship between Didier Pironi and Gilles Villeneuve. The consequences of this falling out were felt in the next race at Zolder where Gilles died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom