• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

"Gen 1 Gary Oak??" He was only in the anime dude.

As far as I'm concerned, Gary Oak IS Blue/Green/Jerk/Whatever you want to call him. I grew up watching the anime and playing the games, so I named my rival in Blue Gary because I was an uncreative little derp. I mean, they ARE pretty the same character in everything but name, so cut me some slack. -_-;

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As far as I'm concerned, Gary Oak IS Blue/Green/Jerk/Whatever you want to call him. I grew up watching the anime and playing the games, so I named my rival in Blue Gary because I was an uncreative little derp. I mean, they ARE pretty the same character in everything but name, so cut me some slack. -_-;

Nah, Blue became champion and a gym leader. Gary is out in the forest doing science and stuff.

To compare their last appearances:

PPc2m.png

BDuWb.png

Seems like they're diverging artistically, too.

As if Lance doesn't abuse Full Restore while spamming Hyper Beams.

Surprisingly, I never really had any trouble with Lance when I was young. I don't remember much about my first playthrough of Blue, but what I DO remember was almost crying in frustration after Blue KO'd my party for the umpteenth time. I think I was using Venusaur, Dewgong, Fearow and Dugtrio (I can't remember the last two), but they must've been horribly underleveled for me to lose so much.

MikeMyers

Surprisingly, I never really had any trouble with Lance when I was young. I don't remember much about my first playthrough of Blue, but what I DO remember was almost crying in frustration after Blue KO'd my party for the umpteenth time. I think I was using Venusaur, Dewgong, Fearow and Dugtrio (I can't remember the last two), but they must've been horribly underleveled for me to lose so much.

I never had a problem with Lance or Blue, if you have Venusaur or another Poison type Dragonite wont even hit you in RB due to a glitch.

Agatha annoyed the shit out of me however. Damn Confuse Rays.

Do you guys think Gary beat Lance by having Pidgeot Mirror Move Blizzard back onto Dragonite?
That or he used Blastoise/Gyarados. It's an interesting possibility in any case.

I like that in HG/SS, Pidgeot is his strongest Pokemon. Since they don't show his starter (avoiding giving him and Ash/Red a "canon" starter), Pidgeot's the next best thing, being the first one he caught.

ScraftyDevil said:
In fairness, the hierarchy of rival names in Red/Blue/Yellow probably goes something like

Gary ->
something pithy and crass (e.g. Douche, Asshole, etc.) ->
Blue

Nah, Blue became champion and a gym leader. Gary is out in the forest doing science and stuff.

To compare their last appearances:

http://i.imgur.com/PPc2m.png

http://i.imgur.com/BDuWb.png

Seems like they're diverging artistically, too.

Maybe recently they've diverged, but remember that this was them in the beginning:

Blue-original.png

gary.gif

To a young Scrafty, these people looked exactly the same, so I drew the most logical conclusion I could and decided they WERE one in the same.

Anth0ny

Maybe recently they've diverged, but remember that this was them in the beginning:

Blue-original.png

gary.gif

To a young Scrafty, these people looked exactly the same, so I drew the most logical conclusion I could and decided they WERE one in the same.

pfffft, young you must have been blind. totally different.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is pure, unadulterated evil.

Sonic 06 is like fucking Kirby's Epic Yarn in comparison.

I know eh? My friend and I tried playing it again a couple days ago, it definitely does not stand the test of time.

As for Lance, the first time I fought him was actually quite easy, albeit still intense. The battle was a breeze with my Typhlosion+thunderpunch but the whole time I was battling I was low on battery life so I was anticipating my gameboy shutting off at any moment. Luckily that ended up happening after I saved.

Anth0ny

Blissey
Level 53
HP:366
Held Item: Leftovers
Defense: FUCKING MAXED OUT
Special Defense: FUCKING MAXED OUT

Moves: Thunderbolt, Reflect, Icy Wind, Seismic Toss

In a game that doesn't allow the use of items, can someone please tell me how I can beat this.

I think a maxed out Blissey may be the tool I need to finish this game. Softboiled, Toxic, Reflect, Seismic Toss seems pretty god damn unbeatable.

Too bad my Gold and Silver batteries are dead ; _ ;

MikeMyers

Blissey
Level 53

In a game that doesn't allow the use of items, can someone please tell me how I can beat this.

I think a maxed out Blissey may be the tool I need to finish this game. Softboiled, Toxic, Reflect, Seismic Toss seems pretty god damn unbeatable.

Stall it to death. Leech Seed + Synthesis

Anth0ny

Stall it to death. Leech Seed + Synthesis

I actually did this with one of my continues. Took me 45 minutes with Alakazam Recover/Seismic Toss (55 damage). I wanted to make it Struggle, but it ended up using all of its Seismic Tosses and that was enough to take it out.

I proceeded to get destroyed by this dude's Articuno. Fuck it, I'm training a Chansey.

Firestorm

Blissey
Level 53

Brick Break. Didn't do calculations but seeing as HP wasn't EVed for some reason, that should be a 1 or 2 hit KO and it breaks Reflect. Blissey only has 10 base defense.

Edit: Oops, nvm. Didn't realize this was Pokemon Stadium 2. Though you were playing a game with some self-imposed rules. I assume this is Poke Cup? Use Curse Snorlax if one is available.

Anth0ny

Brick Break. Didn't do calculations but seeing as HP wasn't EVed for some reason, that should be a 1 or 2 hit KO and it breaks Reflect. Blissey only has 10 base defense.

Edit: Oops, nvm. Didn't realize this was Pokemon Stadium 2. Though you were playing a game with some self-imposed rules. I assume this is Poke Cup? Use Curse Snorlax if one is available.

Yes, Poke Cup.

I'll look into Curse Snorlax, but it's not going to be easy considering I don't have access to any Gen 2 games.

I swear I'm getting trolled. I'm looking to catch a Chansey, and the ones that pop up in Cerulean Cave are... level 56. Level 55 cap in Poke Cup. No breeding in gen 1. Fuck.

The only under leveled ones are available in... Safari Zone. FUCK ME.

MikeMyers

So now that we are on the subject, which Gary team does everyone prefer?

Red/Blue: Pidgeot, Rhydon, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyarados
Yellow: Sandslash, Alakazam, Cloyster, Ninetails, Magneton, Exeggutor

Yes, Poke Cup.

I'll look into Curse Snorlax, but it's not going to be easy considering I don't have access to any Gen 2 games.

I swear I'm getting trolled. I'm looking to catch a Chansey, and the ones that pop up in Cerulean Cave are... level 56. Level 55 cap in Poke Cup. No breeding in gen 1. Fuck.

You can use the Missingo glitch to fight Safari Zone Pokemon at Cinnabar Island.

Firestorm

Don't you love that moment where against your better judgement you use information on Serebii for once and it turns out it didn't say something really crucial and you waste a few hours of your time?

I do.

Don't you love that moment where against your better judgement you use information on Serebii for once and it turns out it didn't say something really crucial and you waste a few hours of your time?

I do.

I've been there before. I spent fruitless hours searching for an item in SS because their ItemDex had an error in it. Never again.

What happened with you?

survivor

Banned
I just borrowed Pokemon Emerald from my cousins. Seeing how I never properly beat any 3rd gen games, now is a good time to do so.

What's the best starter? I'm leaning more towards the Blaziken right now

Holy crap, Black and White were announced 2 years ago today. 0_o

I just borrowed Pokemon Emerald from my cousins. Seeing how I never properly beat any 3rd gen games, now is a good time to do so.

Blaziken is my favourite, but Swampert has its uses.

Blaziken all the way. Double Kick is way overpowered earlygame.

MikeMyers

I like Blaziken, but he didn't fare well against the Flying or Psychics gym (Thankfully in Ruby I had Groudon to Drought the Water Gym dude).

Personally, I have a loyalty to the Grass Starters. Johto is tough with Chikorita though.

Insert obligatory "leave Serebii alone, he's a nice guy! :(" post.

I'm not saying he's not a nice guy; in fact I'm sure he is, and I think it's awesome that he devotes so much time and effort to his work.

I just think that his site is flawed in certain areas, and that it is not always a reliable source of information.

Personally, I think he should try and get a mobile version of his site up. Or at least work more on design. I mean, he just disabled that silly thing that prevented selection of text, like having it on actually prevented people from 'copying' his work.

Get on it soon, Joe!

OMG Aero

Serebii.net is an alright site if you just want to see news (And even then you have to take breaking news with a pinch of salt like when he said that you couldn't earn exp in the intro of Black and White because he was playing a pirated version and that was the copy protection) but if there is something specific about a game you want to know that site is a nightmare.
I mean look at the section list on the Black and White page, is there a pattern to that list I'm not seeing or is it really in a random order? If browsers didn't come with a find function it would be almost impossible to find anything on that site.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's good, at least. Did you have anyone particularly important on there, or had you moved all of them off (something I usually do for housekeeping purposes)?

I never even beat Claire.

So, no one was in that version apart from my in-game team and random Pokemon I caught.

I never even beat Claire.

So, no one was in that version apart from my in-game team and random Pokemon I caught.
Ah, well that's good.

I remember years ago, I used to play my cousin's copy of Gold a lot. Always started a new game to play, but because I knew of the distress of having someone saving over your game, I never did so. So, it was a sort of race to see how far I could get in the game before I had to give it back/turn off the system.

I ended up playing everything before Ecruteak a lot of times...

Ondore

Blissey
Level 53

My cure for eggs in Gen II was always Machamp, but it sounds like your access to trading is nil...

Yes, Poke Cup.

Round 2 is brutal. There's a cheat where you can have unlimited continues; I needed that to get past one battle against a Snorlax. I remember using Hitmonlee of all Pokemon to take it down.

Keyouta

So there are small scanned pictures, 3 that I seen, am I able to post links to them? They go along, well, sort of match what the leak earlier suggested.

I'm leaning towards fake.

So there are small scanned pictures, 3 that I seen, am I able to post links to them? They go along, well, sort of match what the leak earlier suggested.

I'm leaning towards fake.

As much as I'd like to see them, you shouldn't post them unless you want to get banned.

If they're real, I'll board the bullet train of hype. Indeed.

Firestorm

I've been there before. I spent fruitless hours searching for an item in SS because their ItemDex had an error in it. Never again.

What happened with you?
There's a page listed with the different sayings the Happiness Checker can say but fails to mention that one of them doesn't change what she says above a certain rating so she never says the lines for 250 - 255 happiness. I finally found a GameFAQs message board thread about it which explained that.
Insert obligatory "leave Serebii alone, he's a nice guy! :(" post.
I don't know about nice guy. Pompous dick seems more accurate from the posts I've seen by him.

Top Bottom