• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

I personally don't subscribe to the quantity argument. I can't stand games that are too long. My favourite games tend to be a bit shorter, but they are always the games that are expertly paced and leave me satisfied upon conclusion

I generally don't either. I recently quit playing Skyrim because I found it excruciatingly boring and that's being relatively polite. At the same time, a really short single player and a "maybe good" multiplayer isn't enough to coax $60 out of my wallet.

Huh?

Multiplayer isn't the "new" people wanted from the next game. The "new" is a completely new direction AFTER God of War 3. Not God of War 0.5, retreading the whole "ARES YOU PRICK" story, with a shorter single player mode and some fancy new multiplayer modes. Shaking up the gameplay here and there might be all well and good but I think you misunderstood the complaints.

People hardly know what they want , I can see them being angry that this is prequel and him talking about the game shorter that others really don't mean much since GOW 2 was much longer than 3 so that really don't tell us anything .
In terms of shaking the gameplay we have to see what this brings to the table other than MP.

Ugh...who asked for this?

I really hate it when games that dont need a MP suddenly get it cause "everyone else" has it. The SP inevitably ends up suffering because of this and lets be frank here, they cant compete with the top MP games anyway. Co-op is one thing, competitive MP, waste of time.

ReaperXL7

Hmm...God of War is one of my favorite game franchises, and a huge part of that is due to the amazing single player, so i'm not sure what to think about this yet. I don't usually like MP that much so they are going to have to do some really interesting stuff to get me to care about it.

I will say sadly, that i'm pretty sure that this probably confirms that GOW will have a mulitplayer component for every future title, but i'll give SSM the benefit of the doubt for now because it's rare they dissapoint me. Really hope they make this great.

Remember when people complained about Uncharted 2 having multiplayer and it ended up being GOTY?

Remember when Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 had MP and they both turned out bad?

It's best to wait until people actually get their hands on it before they start judging, but that never happens.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Remember when people complained about Uncharted 2 having multiplayer and it ended up being GOTY?
Uncharted 2's multiplayer was not tacked on. It was actually fantastic. But it's too early to comment on this game's multiplayer mode though. Hopefully they will pull it off.

The marketing for this game has been pretty terrible so far.

My thoughts too

They should have revealed this later, like icing on the cake. Now its all we know about the game, and of course everybody is going to be skeptical. Especially when they didn't let any of the press play it

V_Ben

Banned
Huh, weird that they showed multiplayer before single player but makes sense they wanna save that for E3

Yeah, it totally does now that they've done it. People can speculate on the MP for a while, they can announce a beta at E3 and show some crazy ass Single Player footage.

test_account

XP-39C²
speaking of GoW psp games. both GoW psp is shorter than console GoW. I sure hope when he said just a little bit shorter, he compare it to GoW console and not even shorter than GoW psp games.

even on console the length varies, I think GoW2 is the longest. GoW3 is kinda similar to GoW1 lengthwise.
It could be. It is always a matter of difficulty level as well. Playing on a higher difficulty level will in most cases increase the length it takes to beat the game.

o_O The marketing hasn't even started, they have onyl just announced the game.
Well so far we saw a vague and uninspired teaser, and now we are seeing the multiplayer before the single player

Doesn't make much sense to me

That said, hopefully this will give them a chance to show the game off more witthout spoiling all the best parts of the SP as they did with GOW3

Uhhhhggh... competitive.....

They should have done 4 player co-op only, make it a super brutal Monster Hunter-type thing. 4 dudes murdering the life out of all creatures of Greek mythology.

ReaperXL7

Hmm....Well the GR footage does look pretty interesting. I wonder how the finishing moves work, it did not seem to be a QTE, but it's hard to tell.

Console games LOL

scaled.php

BibiMaghoo

Is an online pass really that shocking at this point though? Hasn't Sony said that all of it's first-party online games will have an online pass?

I'm not sure if this is something Sony has announced, but I think pretty much every game going forward will have one, I'm also fairly sure that Sony will make the online pass mandatory for third party titles next gen.

ced

Whose stupid fucking idea was it to put MP into God of War...

Even if it's good, just make a new IP.

jett

D-Member
Would 7 hours versus 8 hours really make a difference?

Why not just rent it either way?

If an hour less it's not much of a difference to you, then I guess you'd be okay would a 6-hourlong campaign a well.

Frankly, this bit of news is crap. Uncharted 2 added multiplayer AND was substantially longer than Uncharted 1, plus improving on every single aspect, AND arriving only two years later. SSM needs to step their game up \shittypspcommercial.

Liamario

Banned
As long as the single player hasn't been compromised and as long as effort is put into the multiplayer- I don't see a problem.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well so far we saw a vague and uninspired teaser, and now we are seeing the multiplayer before the single player

Doesn't make much sense to me

That said, hopefully this will give them a chance to show the game off more witthout spoiling all the best parts of the SP as they did with GOW3
Just wondering, what do you mean with uninspired?

BibiMaghoo

multiplayer ensures that there will be less rentals and trade ins, so if it gives a chance for better sales put this multiplayer in my god of war and make it awesome.

I would say that God of War kind of needs this. The turnaround for the game is pretty big, having a relatively short campaign and no multiplayer. The collectibles in the last game were fairly easy to get to, and can easily be done in two playthroughs without a guide. I got the majority on my first playthrough in GOW3.

I'm not ashamed to say that I traded my copy back in fairly quickly, after playing through it once.

ReaperXL7

I'm not sure if this is something Sony has announced, but I think pretty much every game going forward will have one, I'm also fairly sure that Sony will make the online pass mandatory for third party titles next gen.

Well if rumors are true that the next Xbox, and Playstations won't allow for Used games, what would be the point of an online pass? If they push for online passes it will more than likely be a push from both honestly, but I don't see third parties fighting it much to continue the war on Used games.

I'm still not sure about this, but the footage has me more interested, this could be pretty awesome depending on how they implement it. I think the GOW combat style could be alot of fun in a MP game, I'd imagine the techinical aspects and balancing will be a pain in the ass to deal with for something like this though.

Top Bottom