• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

It's still early. I only got it last week. However, I do think the total presentation is better in Last Gladiators and the music and voice sampling is less repetitive than in Necronomicon. The music is overall just better also, IMO.

Playwise, the tables are probably of the same high quality in both games. These are easily the best pinball games of that era and maybe the best ever produced with original tables not trying to replicate real ones.

Gotta love the High-res graphics too. The game is still a looker.

Dave Long

Banned
Yes! It looks phenomenal on a CRT IMO. So few games used those high res modes back then, and this one just really shot for the moon and succeeded as it's not only beautiful to look at but has superb animation and physics too!

I must admit that the Dream Theater guy did a great job on the intro music for Necronomicon, but again, I really like Last Gladiators as I think it's a better total package. I'm gonna keep playing Necronomicon though! It's awesome that I finally got a sequel like fifteen years later. LOL!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If your TV has component inputs, get this transcoder:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use it for my Mega Drive, SFC, and Saturn to convert their RGB signals to regular YPbPr component with great results. Looks lovely on my SD Trinitron.

Which reminds me, I need to pick up an RGB SCART switcher sooner than later.
This is what I use.

Keep in mind that it does not pass audio, however, so you'll need to pull that from elsewhere.

c244a578f5d94350df96bccfbacfcedb713bb684.jpg

Ah the memories. It's almost criminal nobody posted a screenshot from the best Saturn game ever until now! I know know how I will be playing PDS again! I wish you could up the resolution, but it appears that can't happen.
I need to replay this game sometime. It's only like 12 hours long, so I could probably knock it out in a weekend...

Burning Rangers appreciation post:
m9YXg.jpg

Check out the cool lightening effects in motion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCxbruoEFBs
This one too. I was a little disappointed that the purported level randomization wasn't as random as I'd anticipated, but it was still a pretty solid little romp.

Actually, what I really need to do is finish Shining the Holy Ark...

I get a bunch of screen jumping - almost like rollover - in the Capcom fighting games using that converter. Whenever the screen is supposed to 'shake' due to a hard blow.

I get a bunch of screen jumping - almost like rollover - in the Capcom fighting games using that converter. Whenever the screen is supposed to 'shake' due to a hard blow.

That's weird. I play a bunch of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Cyberbots, and Street Fighter Zero 3 with mine and don't really notice anything like that. Though, I don't know if those games do the screen shake like you're referring to. Maybe I'll boot up Street Fighter Collection and do some SPDs in Super Turbo to see what happens.

I'd almost bet it was an issue with your particular transcoder, but if it only happens in Capcom games it's really suspect. Would you mind telling me how it's setup? What region is your Saturn, are you using the PAR 4M card? Are you sure you're using NTSC SCART cables?

That's weird. I play a bunch of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Cyberbots, and Street Fighter Zero 3 with mine and don't really notice anything like that. Though, I don't know if those games do the screen shake like you're referring to. Maybe I'll boot up Street Fighter Collection and do some SPDs in Super Turbo to see what happens.

Yeah, I'm talking about those games. Try Street Fighter Alpha 2 as well.

I wonder if it's my cable? Which do you use, still on eBay?

I'd almost bet it was an issue with your particular transcoder, but if it only happens in Capcom games it's really suspect. Would you mind telling me how it's setup? What region is your Saturn, are you using the PAR 4M card? Are you sure you're using NTSC SCART cables?

Not just Capcom games - I just mentioned that because it stands out in my memory. I also get it at the Sega Genesis Sonic 3 title menu off the top of my head - you know how the screen shakes when Sonic lands and the menu options pop up? There's more I'm sure, I just can't remember it. I think it's whenever a game uses some sort of sync for a special effect.

I have a USA Model 2 Saturn, region free BIOS, all OEM cartridges. It did it before I had the region free BIOS, though. It's done it since I started using SCART, and like I said it happens on my Genesis (via SCART as well).

As far as cables, honestly not sure what I have. Got them off eBay - maybe from the same seller? It's been a while. Not sure if they're NTSC, although I remember trying to make sure I did get NTSC SCART cables.

EDIT: Found an old email. I had Rob Webb from Console Goods build the Saturn cable. He promised me that it was A-okay with NTSC systems. I think the Genesis cable was an eBay deal.

Guess that would suggest I have a defective transcoder? That blows.

Good luck with that, at a certain point I had to use internet, lame me. >_<
Eh, I'd been using my phone to look up locations of pixies, fairies, succubi, dwarves etc this run already anyway. I understand that isn't the "hardcore" route, but hell, I'll do what I want with my run through.

Does the PS1 version retain all the frames of animation?

I have never heard of there being any difference in animation between the versions. One correction though -- the Saturn version actually has even more slowdown than the arcade original, not the same amount as the arcade game.

So I FINALLY got Necronomicon from a Japanese seller. Paid just $15 with slow boat shipping! It's not quite as awesome as Last Gladiators: Digital Pinball, but it's close and that's good enough for me. Kaze Co. produced some of the best videogame pinball I've ever played and it's great to get three more tables to enjoy.

I am sorely tempted to track down Bulk Slash now. I remember reading about that a long time ago and digging what I saw. I really love the Saturn. I can't figure out which I love more... Genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast, but I know I'll always have them hooked up to play at a moment's notice. Many of my all-time favorites are on these systems.
Yeah, I'd like Bulk Slash as well. Looks good. I do have one of Hudson's other Japanese-only Saturn games, Willy Wombat, and it's pretty good too...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
If your TV has component inputs, get this transcoder:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use it for my Mega Drive, SFC, and Saturn to convert their RGB signals to YPbPr component with great results. Looks lovely on my SD Trinitron.

Which reminds me, I need to pick up an RGB SCART switcher sooner than later. This cable swapping is for the birds.

good to know, i was actually looking at that particular box in the first place.

This is what I use.

Keep in mind that it does not pass audio, however, so you'll need to pull that from elsewhere.

yeah i got a custom cable made with separate audio leads. thanks guys. guess i'll be looking for a sufami scart cable pretty soon as well!

Teknoman

The Saturn version is pretty much a straight arcade port. It has massive amounts of slowdown, only the arcade content, and does not save your high scores (or settings or anything).

On the other hand, the PS1 version has reduced slowdown, does have high score table and options saving, and has an option for a CD audio soundtrack option, instead of just the arcade PCM track that both ports have. It really is all-around better.

It is funny that a 2d game is better on PS1, but this isn't the only case -- there are some other 2d games that I've read are technically better on PS1, such as Strikers 1945 II (released in the US on PS1 as "Strikers 1945", but it's the second one), or of course Castlevania SotN. I agree that I'd rather play games on Saturn than PS1, absolutely, but in this case, where In the Hunt has so much more stuff than the Saturn version, I can't justify getting it when the PS1 one is so much better.

But why would you import it anyway, if you really wanted the Saturn version? Is that cheaper than the US release?

Yeah, only one of the two D&D Collection games supports the RAM pack. The other has much longer load times.

I have never heard of there being any difference in animation between the versions. One correction though -- the Saturn version actually has even more slowdown than the arcade original, not the same amount as the arcade game.

Yeah, I'd like Bulk Slash as well. Looks good. I do have one of Hudson's other Japanese-only Saturn games, Willy Wombat, and it's pretty good too...

I guess thats one exception i'll have to go with then.

EDIT: Whoa, its only 8 dollars?! lol cant argue with that :D

No wonder I passed it up back in the day though...the cover art heh. Then again, the same thing almost happened to me and Guardian Heroes. Also I really wish I had the Dragon Force manual. I keep feeling like i'm doing it wrong, even though i'm learning bit by bit. Need to make a dent in it over the weekend.

speedline

Banned
Damn, this thread is making me want to dig the Saturn out of the mothballs and play some Last Gladiators digital pinball, that game is so fucking awesome. I haven't played my Saturn in probably 6 years, it's time to change that.

Is there a good way to hook it up to a LCD monitor?

Oemenia

Banned
I haven't used SSF in a while but what's the current scene like? I remember it being a bitch to configure. Also any emulators out there that do 3D filtering well?

Edit: Also to those asking about arcade ports on the Saturn, with the RAM packs they are arcade perfect. Alpha 3 to this day is best played on the Saturn.

Does anyone know where to find affordable Japanese RGB cables? The last one I saw on ebay was going for a hundred USD.

Playing SFIII for the 1st time. ;) Scenario 2 is on its way.

Does anyone own "Satakore" re-releases of any games? If so are the spines red? I know the obi strips are red, but what about the spines themselves as printed behind the plastic shell? I'm thinking about picking a Satakore release up but I want uniformity on my shelf.

butanebob

Neo Member
With SSF is there any way to force it NOT to change resolutions? I'd like it to run at my monitors native res but it switches to 640x480 and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh shit. I was wondering when an emulator would come out for the best system ever made. I looked into it like 6 years ago and there wasn't much. Now I'm gonna have to dust off my old games!

I need to find a copy of WWF the Arcade Game so I can rip the videogame version of Shawn Michaels' theme song so I can listen to it while I jack off.

I wanna retry Sega Rally and see if it sucks now. Can the analog stick somehow map to the 360's analog stick so I can play NiGHTS?

edit: HD Fighting Vipers is an emulation of the arcade version, so it's gonna be better than Saturn version.

Teknoman

I have one, if you need something?

Was trying to buy one since i've finally got the game, but it only with the original case no manual. Cant complain since it was alot cheaper than what its usually goes for, and it just feels strange having a big open space inside the case.

That and I like to have the strength/weakness chart handy/ read up on other features.

EDIT: Playing Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter on the Saturn is so ridiculously smooth after having only played the PS1 version in the past.

cj_iwakura

Was trying to buy one since i've finally got the game, but it only with the original case no manual. Cant complain since it was alot cheaper than what its usually goes for, and it just feels strange having a big open space inside the case.

That and I like to have the strength/weakness chart handy/ read up on other features.

EDIT: Playing Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter on the Saturn is so ridiculously smooth after having only played the PS1 version in the past.

Outside of it being a real nice manual(of course), the only thing in it that's really helpful is the troop compendium. It shows a nice graph breakdown of who's weak to what.

Teknoman

Yeah you'd think one would pop up on Ebay, but nothing so far. Found a decent scan of it, so if I cant find one, I guess i'll just figure out how to make a NA Saturn case sized one out of that lol.

Sounds like my situation with Guardian Heroes, heh. Got it and Shining the Holy Ark for $60, but both incomplete; StHA is missing its box, and GH is missing its manual. I'm not sure which annoys me more.

Seik

Banned
Sounds like my situation with Guardian Heroes, heh. Got it and Shining the Holy Ark for $60, but both incomplete; StHA is missing its box, and GH is missing its manual. I'm not sure which annoys me more.

It hurts to actually know there's so many people that lost or destroyed these manuals. There's so many loose copy on the market. D:

Still, 60$ for both game, even if incomplete, is a killer deal.

Teknoman

Yup both suck in their own way...but at least you'll be able to play the games right?

Also is it just me, or are the Saturn and Dreamcast game reading tanks, or seem to be that way. The Marvel I got has some pretty serious scratches here and there, but plays flawlessly. Same with Virtua Cop.

Still, 60$ for both game, even if incomplete, is a killer deal.
Well, it was late 2006, if that matters for anything. I believe the more popular Saturn games have gone up in price since then... Glad I pounced when I did, yeah. Mostly did it for GH, but I think I like StHA more of the two, heh.

Also is it just me, or are the Saturn and Dreamcast game reading tanks, or seem to be that way. The Marvel I got has some pretty serious scratches here and there, but plays flawlessly. Same with Virtua Cop.
Saturn, maybe, but my Dreamcast has a hell of a time reading discs these days. Doesn't get much use, as such.

Seik

Banned
Yup both suck in their own way...but at least you'll be able to play the games right?

Saturn maybe, like Shadow Hog said, but the Dreamcast is fucking fragile, it doesn't need much to not be able to read data.

I have a Resident Evil 2 Leon disc that freezes everytime I run into the first licker, it freezes during the video and damn, there's like 3 really thin scratches. I guess one of them is a fatal one. :(

I'm ripping my DC games to my PC using the broadband adapter and I can get reading errors during the transfer for some ridiculously little scratches, preventing me from ripping some of my games. I aim for MINT discs now when I buy on Ebay, can't go wrong with that.

I had to recalibrate my Dreamcast's laser (Which wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought) in order to get it reading discs again. Worked like a charm afterwards, though.

As for Saturn, I remember having a copy of Daytona CCE that was scratched to high hell, but aside from some minor audio skipping, it always ran the game no problem. I should really find that copy and see if it still works, heh.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I had to recalibrate my Dreamcast's laser (Which wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought) in order to get it reading discs again. Worked like a charm afterwards, though.

As for Saturn, I remember having a copy of Daytona CCE that was scratched to high hell, but aside from some minor audio skipping, it always ran the game no problem. I should really find that copy and see if it still works, heh.

All of my Saturn discs were/are scratched to high hell and they still worked fine except for a few audio glitches. The graphical data was like 10% or less of the space on the disc. The discs were taken up mostly by uncompressed .cda audio. With compression, all of those multidisc games that used like 4 discs could have easily fit on a single disc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it was late 2006, if that matters for anything. I believe the more popular Saturn games have gone up in price since then... Glad I pounced when I did, yeah. Mostly did it for GH, but I think I like StHA more of the two, heh.

Saturn, maybe, but my Dreamcast has a hell of a time reading discs these days. Doesn't get much use, as such.

Sometime in early 2006 I walked into a console repair shop I had never been in before that sold used games. In the glass counter he kept all of the older stuff like Saturn games. He had some pretty cool stuff in there that I asked about the price of; he told me every Saturn game was $7 (or close to it, this was 6 years ago and I don't remember exactly).

I walked out of that place with Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Dragon Force (with one of the rare disc arts), and some other stuff I don't remember. Only cost me somewhere between $35 and $45 for the whole lot. At the time Dragon Force alone was worth at least twice what I paid and any two of the others would also have recouped my cost.

I tried this once, and then booted up Shenmue and started a new game.

The audio cut out in the middle of the intro, the sky texture crapped out at some point leaving a black void behind, and when the thing faded to black the next part never loaded.

I think I either didn't do it right or didn't go far enough.

Top Bottom