• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

TriGen

Sorry for my utter lack of knowledge, but is this the Double Fine 2D adventure that was on Kickstarter? Or is that something else entirely?

Something else. Ron Gilbert came up with this adventure game awhile ago, it just happened to have the same name as the Kickstarter.

Something else. Ron Gilbert came up with this adventure game awhile ago, it just happened to have the same name as the Kickstarter.

It doesn't have the same name as the Kickstarter--this game is called The Cave, whereas the Kickstarter project was called Double Fine Adventure and the game itself is codenamed Reds.

V_Ben

Banned
Argh, can somebody help me with the time traveller's puzzle? I've been stuck for far too long :/

i killed the dinosaur, but how do I get the oil / move the boulder? I'm so stuck.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Currently stuck in
Hillbilly's carnival quest. I've got two tickets but don't know what else to do. The roulette is clearly rigged, the magician seems useless, and I don't have enough strength to hit the thingy... Oh well.

Omikaru

I wish the EU eShop would hurry up and update for this. I've loaded credit onto my system ready for it, now I just need the game to be live. :(

GulAtiCa

This game is both funny and fun so far. I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

Woah. on the Wii U, it's already the 11th best game sold on the eShop. Though with no context to judge by, that's either awesome or kinda sad

-GJ-

Me and a couple friends walked through the snow yesterday to buy a Nintendo eShop card since you can't buy them online, and when we came back we couldn't play it since it wasn't up in the EU eShop yesterday, even though Ron Gilbert himself tweeted that it would be on Wii U on the 22nd (he didn't mention regions). Now it's almost 3 at night where I live and I still can't play my Steam pre-order.

6W0rNoL.jpg

edit: Just received my Steam key from GMG.

DustinC

Currently stuck in
Hillbilly's carnival quest. I've got two tickets but don't know what else to do. The roulette is clearly rigged, the magician seems useless, and I don't have enough strength to hit the thingy... Oh well.

Pretty much all the other tickets require you to use the fuse towards the top of the area. To get it, you'll need to turn off the electricity so you don't get shocked. Take a character up to the top left side of the area, above where the roulette wheel is. The fuse is initially located up in the top right area that you can get to by using the ferris wheel.

expected higher reviews for this game (not that the scores are bad). Doesn't matter, as an old school adventure gamer I feel its my civic duty to play this game.

EDarkness

This game is both funny and fun so far. I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

Woah. on the Wii U, it's already the 11th best game sold on the eShop. Though with no context to judge by, that's either awesome or kinda sad

It was 8th last night when I looked at the list. Seems to have gone down a little bit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I plugged my code into Steam....does this thing just start downloading automatically at midnight or what?

Volcynika

Got it on Wii U. Hardlocked on me already :(

Enjoying it though, even though I'm having to figure out what people's powers do. I love the narration and comments.

Need to say that this game is worth checking out for the presentation alone. I have it for the 360 and am having none of the frame-rate issues reported in IGN's review which was conducted using the Xbox. This is what happens when games are built ground-up for the Wii U (See trolling about Batman, BLOPS, etc).

I know that many or most of you probably find Gilbert's games shallow compared to the Dark Souls and Skyrim's of the world (and they are), but I also know that I am not alone in enjoying kicking back with a j and some Deathspank or Costume Quest. And though I missed them, I know his old school games are lauded as his best work.

This guy has talent and is doing something new here. I played the Rayman demo right after and while it looked good, it looked like a game. The Cave looks like you're playing a beautiful cartoon. I can't wait to get into the gameplay with my girl tomorrow night. Will give more detailed gameplay impressions later but the jump mechanics seem fine to me so far.

Truly beautiful game.

Alur

Need to say that this game is worth checking out for the presentation alone. I have it for the 360...

I've got my MSP ready for it, just waiting on it to show up on the dashboard. I gave up on the Giant Bomb quick look because I didn't want to see anymore of the puzzles. I agree with you though, it does look like a beautiful cartoon. That's the main selling point for me.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Need to say that this game is worth checking out for the presentation alone. I have it for the 360 and am having none of the frame-rate issues reported in IGN's review which was conducted using the Xbox. This is what happens when games are built ground-up for the Wii U (See trolling about Batman, BLOPS, etc).

Because BLOPS and Batman were built for the Wii U.

Aaron

I'm puzzled that the playable characters don't talk. Would have though that just a few phrases from them here and there would make them more engaging and draw the player into the game more. As amusing as the voice of the cave is, it's a monologue broken up by occasional side characters the player isn't going to have any investment in.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played the demo on PS3, enjoyed it quite a bit. But I will wait for the (EU) WiiU version to finally release.
Since you can choose your character on the GamePad in the WiiU version, can you use the dpad to move? I hate using an analog stick in 2D games.

Lain

Received my Steam key from GMG and then I find out it's not available today on Steam but it's available from tomorrow. Kinda bummed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Pretty much all the other tickets require you to use the fuse towards the top of the area. To get it, you'll need to turn off the electricity so you don't get shocked. Take a character up to the top left side of the area, above where the roulette wheel is. The fuse is initially located up in the top right area that you can get to by using the ferris wheel.

Thank you for this. I've got it now.

-GJ-

How long is this game? I heard it's about 3 hours...so 1200 MSP seems a bit overpriced to me.

It's 3-4 hours, but you have seven different characters with each their own section of the game so you have to do three playthroughs to get through all the worlds inside the cave, not counting any secret rooms or puzzles that might or might not be in there.

That being said, point & click adventure games usually take 1-4 hours to be completed (especially the older ones), so 15 bucks for a 4 hour long Ron Gilbert game isn't that much.

Got excited when my steam key came through shame I won't get to play it til friday/saturday.

Regarding game length, unless the puzzles are incredibly easy or you use a guide (or you're brilliant at adventure games) I can't see anyone finishing it in 3-4 hours. Ron said the game took 4-5(ish?) and that's with him knowing how to do everything and trying speed run it.

I'll probably get stuck at some point and a 4/5 hour game will quickly become a fuck this game 8 hour event.

-GJ-

Got excited when my steam key came through shame I won't get to play it til friday/saturday.

Yeah, this sucks. I was going to buy it on the Xbox 360, but then I switched to Steam so I could play it at midnight. Now I still have to wait another day, so I guess I'll double dip. Double Fine games are worth it, so it doesn't really matter.

It's 3-4 hours, but you have seven different characters with each their own section of the game so you have to do three playthroughs to get through all the worlds inside the cave, not counting any secret rooms or puzzles that might or might not be in there.

That being said, point & click adventure games usually take 1-4 hours to be completed (especially the older ones), so 15 bucks for a 4 hour long Ron Gilbert game isn't that much.

Thanks, that sounds good to me.

Not long before the Pre-Order sale with TF2 items ends, so if you're interested in buying one copy for $10 Paypal, contact me and I'll help you out.

By the way, is it just me or did they move the release date?
I'm pretty sure it was the 23 before, I was looking forward to relax and enjoy it after the exam today.

taoofjord

Double Fine almost always has difficulty creating characters that control smoothly and naturally. Unfortunately, this is by far their worst offender. :(

Vert boil

Snuck an hour in on the xbla version.
There is some framerate shuttering. Some area's are a little worse than others but it probably averages out at once a minute or so. Just an annoyance, nothing game breaking. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable reason but it tends to happen when you are jumping so it could just be buffering new content.

Good so far, cleared the opening area, the Adventurer's area and just reached the Time Traveller's area.

Since we are in polite company I won't say what the Time Traveller's rope animation looks like. :3

Grimsen

Tried the demo for a few minutes on 360. Great atmosphere, looks fun as hell. Slight framerate woes though. But being a puzzle adventure game, I don't really mind.

How is the ps3 version? Same performance as 360?

pixlexic

Banned
Got it last night and thought I'd play it for min to check it out before bed.... 2 hours later.

Game is pretty awesome. I don't understand some if the bad reviews.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Times like this that I hate being an east-coaster.

Top Bottom