• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Only two hours left to get the PC version (which, by all accounts so far, is very good) for $40 on GMG. Those who are waiting for a Steam sale, I doubt it'll drop below this price by Christmas, so keep that in mind.

Code is: 23OFFJ-USTCUS-E3SALE

Played it for a few hours on PS4, pretty fun. Frame rate never really died a painful death but the loading times are obnoxious as fuck. About a minute just to retry a wingsuit challenge.

ironcreed

Banned
Agreed, too late for me anyways (PS4 digital purchase)

I heard how unplayable Witcher 3 was on PS4 at launch and played through it just fine. Fallout 4 was going to be a unplayable mess according to many and still have had a blast with it. While some of the issues suck of course I will live and hopefully they will patch some out later.

I know this opinion is hated here sometimes but hey, my money.

Indeed. I have seen more than enough to know that I will enjoy this more than some of the critical darlings that have released this year, such as MGSV and Arkham Knight. Both of which I found to be rather tedious and boring affairs.

At the end of the day, this game simply looks fun. Which is why I can overlook some technical warts. Besides, I have seen nothing that shows this game to be some unplayable mess anyway.

Durden77

Finally broke and watched the quick look for this.

Fuck I'm going to have so much god damn fun with this game. Here's hoping the technical issues on consoles get ironed out. If they do this will probably end up beinf my 2nd favorite game of the year.

danowat

Banned
At the end of the day, this game simply looks fun. Which is why I can overlook some technical warts. Besides, I have seen nothing that shows this game to be some unplayable mess anyway.

I guess the point is, should we have to?

I enjoyed FO4, despite it's technical shortcomings, but I can bet I'd have enjoyed it more had the framerate been stable.

ironcreed

Banned
I guess the point is, should we have to?

I enjoyed FO4, despite it's technical shortcomings, but I can bet I'd have enjoyed it more had the framerate been stable.

Well, it is what it is and everyone has a different tolerance. All I know is that I have watched a ton of console footage have yet to see anything that is going to ruin my day. Here is more Xbox One footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoRqUm20EM

As long as it runs like this most of the time, I will not even blink at the issues. The game simply looks like a blast to me.

Nokterian

This is idiotic it will be midnight in a few hours in EU so december 1st and we still have to wait 17 hours because US times. Does Square neve think of EU times? Activision does among others.

danowat

Banned
Well, it is what it is and everyone has a different tolerance. All I know is that I have watched a ton of console footage have yet to see anything that is going to ruin my day. Here is more Xbox One footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoRqUm20EM

As long as it runs like this most of the time, I will not even blink at the issues. The game simply looks like a blast to me.

Yup, I've seen footage of both console versions, XBO from Outside XBOX and the PS4 version from Playstation access that don't appear to suffer anywhere near as badly as what others have said.

But I am not sure what to draw from this, either they are using careful choosen footage, or the problem isn't as bad or widespread as reported.

ironcreed

Banned
Yup, I've seen footage of both console versions, XBO from Outside XBOX and the PS4 version from Playstation access that don't appear to suffer anywhere near as badly as what others have said.

But I am not sure what to draw from this, either they are using careful choosen footage, or the problem isn't as bad or widespread as reported.

I am betting on the latter. I wish a had a dollar for every time I have heard about a game being some unplayable mess that I never had any significant problems with. I am expecting some pop-in, some long loading times here and there and some framerate hitches at worst. In a world this massive, I expect that anyway.

mr stroke

Picked this up on the cheap $27 pre sale at cdkeys, hopefully its as good as the last one. I am assuming all the performance and loading issues are console only yes?

PC version should be solid on good hardware I hope..

newsguy

I am betting on the latter. I wish a had a dollar for every time I have heard about a game being some unplayable mess that I never had any significant problems with. I am expecting some pop-in, some long loading times here and there and some framerate hitches at worst. In a world this massive, I expect that anyway.

This. I've seen a ton of PS4 footage on twitch and recordings on ustream and at no point did I think, "this is unplayable."

Drazgul

You will get the wingsuit right from the second tutorial mission. It's one of the best new things in the game. I'm loving games where you can freely move through air at high speed.

You have to do the challenges to unlock abilitys. But it doesn't take much time to do that.

Some said they hate the challenges where you have to fly through rings with the wingsuit, but I think they are great training.

Alright cool, thanks. Hopefully the controls (especially on air vehicles) aren't too bad on M&KB, tho I really like how they added that visible mark now for your air-to-surface weapons - a huge help, never liked the airplanes in JC2 because of how useless they felt against ground targets.

Teggy

Looks like BestBuy is delivering this a day early for me. Hopefully the xboxone performance isn't as bad as they've been saying.

greenegt

Man, I hope the framerate issue can be patched. I really want this game, but I won't purchase if it's a sloppy release.

Codiox

How can they patch the Framerate and loading screens post release? I mean, technically how does that work? The console specs are always the same. And what can you optimise to get such things better?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How can they patch the Framerate and loading screens post release? I mean, technically how does that work? The console specs are always the same. And what can you optimise to get such things better?
But the process on how the assets are loaded can change.
Examples:
- On a game i've worked on , the programmers reduced in 3-5secs the loading time by hashing strings used during XML parsing.
- Baking stuff that normally gets loaded at run time.
- Various optimizations: File formats, asset resolution, etc, etc
- Caching assets so that they dont need to be unloaded and loaded everytime the level loads, etc etc.

newsguy

They're a channel sponsored by Sony so it must look great. ;)

Understood, but they caused plenty of destruction and it looked smooth. Even if they edited out frame drops, what they edited out had to be insane since the footage in the final video gets pretty chaotic.

jet1911

Xbox One version isinstalling now. For those of you wondering what are chaos points used for there's a contest to win an island for the guy who will have the most points in 3 months.

xrnzaaas

Understood, but they caused plenty of destruction and it looked smooth. Even if they edited out frame drops, what they edited out had to be insane since the footage in the final video gets pretty chaotic.

We'll see. It may depend on the area of the world. Mad Max had zones where everything was running smoothly even during combat and zones where you were getting major drops when driving and doing nothing else.

It is the GOAT game for me when it comes to destruction and feedback. Yes it's wrapped n a rough package on consoles but it's a blast, literally. Lol

lcap

Well, my copy has just arrived at work! Only a few hours until I wreck a bit of havok on Medici!

Gamekult.com (french) PC Review : 7/10

+ the wingsuit
+ the liberty
+ more and more grappling hook
+ and explosions
+ good level design

- broken progression
- no mini-map
- weapons lacks power
- boring car driving
- no multiplayer

I know reviews are opinions and all but lately I've been seeing a trend in reviews criticizing mini maps in open world games (and I agree, I think they detract a lot from the open world concept) so it surprises me this one in particular has it as a negative.

IMO it's a HUGE positive.

Phionoxx

Preloading now on Steam. Went ahead and ordered from GMG for the $40 promotional price. Looking forward to playing it this week!

MMaRsu

Banned

Carefully picked footage from Playstation Access or a different build. Game doesnt even run anywhere near close that smooth for me.

My first hour and change of streaming the ps4 version:

http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/78678425?rmalang=nl_NL

Top Bottom