• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

NEUT0dr.jpg

Hasney

I just realized that they're not even halfway through the Mega Man games yet. If they really do plan on going through all 10, they'll be at it a very long time.

they might be able to knock out 6 in a single show

it tones down the difficulty a bit and is also actually pretty damn good

3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 4, for what it's worth

Yeah, I need to go back and play 6 though because 5 looks harder than I remember it from back in the day. I remember 5 being a breeze, but seeing some of the shit in the game does make it look like a slog. It might be after doing 4.

The feature will end with Dr. Wily on 7 anyway. Mwahaha

Hasney

man, that boss is fucked

I think there's stuff in Mega Man & Bass that's worse though, so hopefully they play that

I ended up save-state scumming Wily and even then I died so many fucking times.

Need to try MM&B. Not actually played any of the GBA ones like Network. I might give it a shot when bored.

drabnon

Hey guys, sorry for being so late to talk about this but in the most recent bombcast Ben said that he is seeing backlash towards Valve/Steam. I don't really understand what he meant. Dota and Cs:GO seem to be doing well and obviously Steam is as strong as it has ever been. If there is no loss of income why would Valve care about any perceived "backlash"? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but Ben's comments just didn't ring true to me.

Hasney

Hey guys, sorry for being so late to talk about this but in the most recent bombcast Ben said that he is seeing backlash towards Valve/Steam. I don't really understand what he meant. Dota and Cs:GO seem to be doing well and obviously Steam is as strong as it has ever been. If there is no loss of income why would Valve care about any perceived "backlash"? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but Ben's comments just didn't ring true to me.

There is a backlash in terms of how people talk about them, that's it. It's still a backlash even if it ultimately means nothing.

Zaph

Ben said he feels a growing Valve backlash, which sounds about right? But that's based on nothing but my own anecdotal observation over the last few years.

Whether or not Valve has perceived anything (or even cares) is another question entirely.

hamchan

If you remember like 7 years ago, Valve was a company who everyone thought was special and could do no wrong.

Now everyone sees them as just like every other company I guess.

Megasoum

Banned
Jeez.... Battle Royale Theatrical Cut sure is difficult to find...

Edit: Also, what's up with the weird backgrgound music during the Niddhog segment in UPF? Really annoying

Watching the Matterfall QL and my favorite part so far is the Philip K. Dick stuff and then.

Vinny: "He wrote Paycheck."

Dan: "Was that a movie with Mel Gibson? No wait I'm getting that confused with Payback, the 'give me back my son' movie."

Edit: lmao the GoT stuff

kiguel182

Steams issues seem more apparent since there are several youtubers and personalities that love to dump on it and talk about "curation".

I doubt most users suffer from problems related to that.

Steam does have a ton of issues but curation is the least of its problems.

Now the client still being web based...

swimbuff

The Beastcast has been great.

I like hearing critical opinions from the OG crew in the West, but for entertainment nothing beats the Beast crew. In general their output is up there among the top tier of GB content rivalling even some of the pre-buyout stuff.

Vinny is goofy and curious, Dan plays dumb and brings the best ideas, Alex is the perfect straight man keeping everything together, and Abby is a fresh voice and funny to boot.

TraBuch

Banned
For the first time since I've started listening years ago, I can honestly say I haven't listened to a new Bombcast in three months and I kinda feel like I'm not missing anything.

BTA

Need to check it out when I don't have anything to listen to. (S3 spoilers first 4 episodes)
So far what do you think about the different COOPs? Any favorites or do you dislike the entire thing?
Arms is ok but yeah, it's the perfect podcast game unless you're playing online? Haha.

Yeah, I wrote about it. Definitely a game worth playing despite the flaws.

I'm really into it!
I think the Dougie stuff, while very funny, is taking a little longer than I'd like. Though binging it probably doesn't actually help in that regard, and everything else is starting to tie together so (and I'm jinxing myself here) hopefully it doesn't go on too much longer. And I admire his ability to distinctly play each Cooper.

Beyond that, I (as I'm sure a lot of people do) do wish we saw a little more of the old characters because I've loved what they've done with them so far, sorta pushing Lucy's ditziness too far besides. We're starting to see more but it's a slower introduction than I would've liked - I think I'd be fine with cutting an episode's worth of Dougie and just showing more of the town instead. Also holy shit Richard is maybe the worst human on the show and they haven't even formally introduced him by name yet. I feel bad for his family...

And I was playing online; I'm bad enough as is that I wasn't exactly doing any worse. And for Splatoon 2 I've done pretty well in Salmon Run, at least, with using that as a podcast game.

chogidogs

This week's Blue Bombin reminded me of Volgar where in Vinny and Matt would just talk about the most random things. I bet Brad and Rorie would have something to say about space and time.

Also, there is no evidence of time travel yet because the time travel police makes sure everything turns out the way it should be.

Lari

Another XCOM newbie question.

Alex seemed to gloss over some base administration things to get quicker to the alien fighting part.

Is it possible they are making poor decisions right now that will bite them in the ass later on regarding the base?

Zaph

For the first time since I've started listening years ago, I can honestly say I haven't listened to a new Bombcast in three months and I kinda feel like I'm not missing anything.

I still end up listening to the Bombcast because, well, I have since episode 1 of The Hotspot and I'm a creature of habit I guess? but I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing you've missed.

Is it possible they are making decisions right now that will bite them in the ass later on regarding the base?

oh there is no doubt and it's going to be great

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Beastcast, at least the few ones I've listened to, just felt more like a "Comedy Podcast featuring Curious Dan and Life Advice!" which....eh
Since I usually only have enough time for one podcast each week, I much prefer the Bombcast.

Alex seemed to gloss over some base administration things to get quicker to the alien fighting part.

Is it possible they are making poor decisions right now that will bite them in the ass later on regarding the base?

Oh no, XCOM is a notoriously forgiving game.
(I give them maybe 5 more episodes before they have reached their Kobayashi Maru)

Hasney

Ben saying he wants those awful gamers crap names at the Olympics makes me hate all Millennials.

Normal names are boring. If an Olympic PA announced "And nkw, for the gold medal, NoobFucker420xxx" I may actually watch a little bit of the Olympics for once.

Scizzy

No, they will never make it far enough for poor base management to sink their game.

There's a 70% chance they'll be OK.

(In XCOM terms this means they're doomed.)

I'm really into it!
I think the Dougie stuff, while very funny, is taking a little longer than I'd like. Though binging it probably doesn't actually help in that regard, and everything else is starting to tie together so (and I'm jinxing myself here) hopefully it doesn't go on too much longer. And I admire his ability to distinctly play each Cooper.

Beyond that, I (as I'm sure a lot of people do) do wish we saw a little more of the old characters because I've loved what they've done with them so far, sorta pushing Lucy's ditziness too far besides. We're starting to see more but it's a slower introduction than I would've liked - I think I'd be fine with cutting an episode's worth of Dougie and just showing more of the town instead. Also holy shit Richard is maybe the worst human on the show and they haven't even formally introduced him by name yet. I feel bad for his family...

And I was playing online; I'm bad enough as is that I wasn't exactly doing any worse. And for Splatoon 2 I've done pretty well in Salmon Run, at least, with using that as a podcast game.

Most people feel that way, I found. Without saying anything, I love the slow burn of Cooper's journey into the real world. There's a real, sort of tragic and bittersweet element to the entire thing as you see Cooper trapped in a shell trying to remember things via certain keywords and actions. It's the aspect I feel most invested in because it's going to be a powerful moment when and if Cooper ever wakes up(as I said I'm not saying anything). It feels the most realistic aspect which is a weird thing to say but that's how I imagined Coop to be after getting out 20+ years later.

I think to me, the thing I dislike(dislike is kind of strong) the most and it's probably something on my part is that we never really know what kind of power the spirits really hold. Like how far could the spirits push their power and what are they capable of exactly? Like why could spirits from the Black lodge roam around but not spirits from the white lodge for instance? Is there a limit to how many Dopplegangers there are? Why do the spirits from the Black lodge have to return after sometime(presumably 25 years later)? and maybe this is something that was never meant to be explained fully but I kind of wish it did so that we get a better understanding of the unseen battle that's happening between good vs evil. Either way, I love the whole thing. There really is nothing like it and I could sit here and talk about Twin Peaks for hours, in a way that's the beauty of the show and universe.

You could tell Lynch/Frost were trying to expand the universe rather than keep it in one place which makes it more interesting and makes the scenes in Twin Peaks very emotional and beautiful in a weird way. Like meeting an old friend. I won't lie, I have all kinds of feels whenever an old cast member show up and also wish we spent more time there it's just that everything that's happening is outside of Twin Peaks yet it started in Twin Peaks more or less. The fact that they were able to bring most of the OG cast members plus continue the story 20+ years later is just astonishing. Also yes, I'm with you when it comes to Richard haha. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as I really enjoy reading them.

oti

Banned
The Beastcast, at least the few ones I've listened to, just felt more like a "Comedy Podcast featuring Curious Dan and Life Advice!" which....eh
Since I usually only have enough time for one podcast each week, I much prefer the Bombcast.
It's gotten better again. I myself can't keep up with all the content in general and the podcasts in particular though. I'm still listening to this week's Bombcast. Next is 8-4 Play. Beastcast is the one I most likely skip these days.

Top Bottom