• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Locked out of PSN permanently (?) because I used a fake birthday 10 years ago

When I made my PSN account in 2007 I was 16 and I used a fake birthday in case there was any kind of 18+ content restriction. There is no way to modify your date of birth after creating an account and Sony uses it for account verification.

I ran into trouble with this when I moved country this year as my account became under suspicion and they blocked me from spending money with my cards.I wasn't able to get anywhere with customer service since I couldn't verify the DoB associated with the account and they didn't have any other verification method. I've been using vouchers from amazon to buy games since then.

Fast forward to today and I try to login and the system randomly tells me I need to reset my password. Shouldn't be a problem except...when I go to the website I can't proceed without entering my birthday. So now I can no longer access the account I have used for 10 years, with 20+ digital games on PS4 alone, and I'll lose all of my saves including my 300+ hour overwatch account with a shit load of event skins and stuff.

What the fuck Sony, I'm so angry about this right now. Can't call customer support because i'm not in my home country anymore and couldn't post on the forum because I can't log into my account. There is no support email address as far as I can tell.

feel your pain dude...my main psn account i created when i was based in the US many years ago and has thousands of dollars of digital content and trophies ect

Can you guess what sony do when you try and connect to their helpdesk for issues
They geoblock you...and if you do use a vpn you get a 1 month ban from their chatline regardless of if you resolve the issue at all

The actual hotline is also completely useless...because im based in Australia now im apparently breaking the TOS of the psn account and they offer no way to convert your account over to another country like xbox does

You are also locked to a region for any digital content and the dlc that goes with that account so if you buy a physical disc based version of a game in your country...you cant actually buy the dlc for that game if your using an account from another region...its region blocked

so far behind sony..its not funny

Taker34

Banned
If you have a Ubisoft or Origin account using your PSN account you will be able to see the registered birthday from the settings.

Very useful information! Thanks, not that I need it but there are plenty of people who can resolve that issue now.

firelogic

Why the hell did you create a random birthday...

Why not keep your Birthday and just put a year that you would remember easily

So you could be above 18, but the year you just remember

So if your 26 now presuming, sshouldve just 5 years prior to say 2002 or hell 2000 as a simple DOB

Hell all my alt accounts have my birthday and year lol
Easy to get shit done quickly

Why even go to that trouble? Just use your actual DoB. How paranoid does one have to be to resist using real personal information? The government has your real info as does numerous other organizations. Giving Sony or Yahoo or Google your bday isn't going to kill you.

feel your pain dude...my main psn account i created when i was based in the US many years ago and has thousands of dollars of digital content and trophies ect

so far behind sony..its not funny

You know that permanent record they talked about at school?
This is it.

Let say I created my account with an email id I no longer use, a fake DOB and a userid I would like to change because it sounds stupid. But I want to keep all the trophies!

This is Mr Bean material and I don't blame Sony.
Hacking will only get worse.

You know that permanent record they talked about at school?
This is it.

Let say I created my account with an email id I no longer use, a fake DOB and a userid I would like to change because it sounds stupid. But I want to keep all the trophies!

This is Mr Bean material and I don't blame Sony.
Hacking will only get worse.

The issue is that people do move...and in my case i moved from US to AUS
i was able to seamlessly move my xbox account over to an aus account many years ago but years later sonys psn is still a region locked system

NZerker12

If you have a Ubisoft or Origin account using your PSN account you will be able to see the registered birthday from the settings.

Thank you!!!

I have been concerned about my PSN account because I used a fake DOB to bypass the age restrictions, now I can finally find out what I used.

Wiped89

Wait really? That could be huge for me. Gonna go give that a try.

If you're going to give a fake birthday for an account, why wouldn't you just use the same day and month, and just change the year?

So if you were 16 and born on March 1 1999, you would just make your date of birth March 1, 1996... then you wouldn't forget it. Plucking out random day and month as well is crazy.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip. I've had no idea what my PSN DOB was for years now. Even dumber though, I have two Origin accounts and neither one has my actual DOB

Why the hell did you create a random birthday...

Why not keep your Birthday and just put a year that you would remember easily

So you could be above 18, but the year you just remember

So if your 26 now presuming, sshouldve just 5 years prior to say 2002 or hell 2000 as a simple DOB

Hell all my alt accounts have my birthday and year lol
Easy to get shit done quickly

this OP, got caught slippin in your own mess.

jrush64

Banned
OP I hope you can get your account back. Unlike some of the other people here, I feel you. I did the same thing years ago but was lucky to change my date of birth to just 1 day before it.

Didn't know about the UPlay thing, thanks to the people who mentioned it.

Mendrox

Why even go to that trouble? Just use your actual DoB. How paranoid does one have to be to resist using real personal information? The government has your real info as does numerous other organizations. Giving Sony or Yahoo or Google your bday isn't going to kill you.

Because many of us weren't 18 yet when they got their PS3 on release and still wanted to use the PSN? It's not some stupid "I don't want to hand my personal information out" situation.

Because any other company lets you change your information. It's fucked up that Sony won't even allow you to change your country so that you are fucked when you move to another country for example. I still can only use Austria PSN cards because my account has that country of origin. It's even worse when you have a German account but move to Austria, because you have to use German PayPal/Creditcard/Bank to even use PS Plus.

Sifl

Does having a security question prevent needing your DoB? Cause I know that I have my question+answer, but not sure if I know what DoB I used for my account.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why did OP's account become under suspicion for moving to another country? Is this normal for people that travel and bring their consoles along?

NinjaBoiX

I don't think you have any justification to be "so angry", you provided false info and it came to bite you on the butt.

Having said that should be easily fixed, just tell them the truth, I doubt they'd lose a customer to make a point about consumer honesty.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Way too many people just pick a random date

Then they deserve it blowing up in their face later on. Why would you set it to something you're not gonna remember? Do you set the security questions to something random as well? Good luck with that!

This is not Sony's fault. They expect you to enter your actual DoB. Don't, and face the consequences.

Sjefen

Well, you lied when you created your PSN account and now you have too face the consequences. Not sure what you want from Sony...

BTW allowing a custumor too change his DOB is stupid for any company to implement, especially when they have a age limit for using their shit. p

Why didn't you just use your actual birthday but change the year like everyone else.

I was 17 when I got my Ps3 and changed it a year.

They system is dumb anyway.

SSReborn

You have to find a way to call them and talk to them that was a problem I had way back when and they send you an email with the password reset stuff that bypasses that birthday question.

shiyrley

Banned
Dude, you just reminded me I had a fake birthday on my Microsoft account. The site allows changing it so I did. Also I discovered that the Microsoft account settings had an option this whole time to set my timezone to the canary islands one so I won't have the Madrid timezone every time I reinstall windows lul

EDIT: Oh my god, I also had a fake birthday on my Google account. The site also allowed me to change it.

8bit

Knows the Score
No there is a workaround where you can bypass the whole actual date page and reset the password. There's a video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPxEdz0o9iU

Check this one, it's a bit simpler. Should work.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-change-psn-password-without-date-of-birth.1602932/

I don't know if it's patched but I did this for my alternate PSN account last year.

Hey, this worked for me for an account I made on a Vita a few years a go that didn't seem to have a DoB attached, but authentication still insisted on it.

shiyrley

Banned
Some rude ass people in here. Acting like they’d obey the restrictions as a kid themselves
Yeah, Pretty weird to feel the need to bash someone for what they did as a kid, especially when everybody has done it. And even if not, dude, he was a fucking kid. Either help him out or be quiet.

ahh i was lucky i kept my birthday the same and rounded the year down

also, lots of people here who have for sure never played an MA game when they weren't 15, nope, no way because everyone here follows all the rules except for OP ofc

I did this on some account but I perfectly remember the date of birth, will I run into trouble eventually? Are they asking for ID card in some situations?

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm locked out of my original Battle.net account for the exact same reason.

I made a new one with actual info. Live and learn.

Balb

Happened to me. I always have to call Sony to have them reset my password. Hate that PSN is tied to such an archaic system.

horkrux

Wow. Thanks for asking OP. I would have never guessed you can bypass the date of brith check, but looking at some of the answers here you apparantly can. And it fucking works.

Retrieved my old-ass UK account. Back then I even had to make an alias to my old, no longer existing live.co.uk address, only to fail at the DoB check.
I had mostly (free) LBP costumes on there, but also Dark Souls 2 DLC. Tbh I don't care about any of that, but at least I have another option for EU DLC now if I ever need it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Happened to me. I always have to call Sony to have them reset my password. Hate that PSN is tied to such an archaic system.
How is the system archiac? You can reset your password through the web. If you forgot your DoB, its not anyone else's fault.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, Sony is not to blame on this one. Don't us a fake DOB and you're good
True. I have to admit that it would be nice to have other options like simply doing it through SMS on the phone or something like that. But at least it seems to be possible to reset the password even if you forget the date of birth. And having that extra step with date of birth adds another layer of security as well, i wouldnt call that archiac.

EDIT: I would also like to say thanks for the tip regarding Origin or Ubisoft account. I havnt forgotten my password, but i've forgotten which date of birth i put in nearly 10 years ago.

Podge293

I had no problem changing my DoB with them. Said I realised there was an error in the date and requested them to change it.

Was about 6 months ago I think. A similar thread came up with DoB details being wrong so I checked and noticed they were my brothers

Balb

How is the system archiac? You can reset your password through the web. If you forgot your DoB, its not anyone else's fault.

No, if you're forced to reset your password, you have to input your date of birth. If you don't remember what date of birth you entered 11 years ago when creating your account, you have to call them to help you reset it. That, along with the fact that you can't change your name, is very archaic.

Just a reminder that everyone should be using a system like KeePass or 1Pass or LastPass or whatever to keep a database of all their account login IDs, passwords, and security information so you never have to get locked out of anything, ever again. I know OP was 16 at the time and it was 11 years ago so not saying its his fault or anything but for anyone reading this, its never to late to keep a centralized record of your "digital life" in somewhere other than your brain.

My Keepass file is hundreds of entries long, one for each different site and each with detailed records including when I signed up, randomized passwords and even security questions/answers nowadays with nonsense words so someone can't guess my info using common Q/A's. Keepass file is stored on Dropbox and Google drive and OneDrive with dozens of backups and also updated every year onto a thumb drive I keep in my banks storage locker and a few at relatives houses in case of natural catastrophe.

Well shiver me timbers with a rusty fishing knife, THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!

I got my dob back and I'm never losing it again. No more of PSN locking me out of my own account.

Thanks OP and thanks everyone for posting all these helpful tips (not the ones who just dropped by to victim shame). My account is finally mine!!!

kliklik

Banned
I mean, this sounds like your own bad, OP. Security is there for a reason.

Honest is the best policy. You shouldn't have lied.

Sorry but I must say it: it's your fault, OP.

That's on you OP. Shouldn't have tried to fake your age for content that you shouldn't have access to to begin with.

I don't understand how this is in any way Sony's fault. You are the one who lied. It sucks, definitely, but they aren't at fault.

It's only on the OP for being stupid. It's not on Sony or anyone else.

this OP, got caught slippin in your own mess.

Why are poeple getting angry at companies because of their own stupidity? People need to chill.

I don't think you have any justification to be "so angry", you provided false info and it came to bite you on the butt.

Then they deserve it blowing up in their face later on. This is not Sony's fault. They expect you to enter your actual DoB. Don't, and face the consequences.

Lol how the hell is he a victim here ? He's the one violating the rules

Yeah, Sony is not to blame on this one. Don't us a fake DOB and you're good

What exactly are you contributing to this thread? Leave me and my internet-twins who were all born on Jan 1st at the turn of the last century alone. Respect your elders.

Can very much confirm this works. Fucking neat!

I've been forced to call them for half an hour at a time to reset my password for years now - those days are gone!

Thanks Maxspot!

write that shit down somewhere, yo! You never know when those services will go boom.

Top Bottom