• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne

I bought Dark Souls 1 many moons ago when it went up for free on the Xbox 360, and I loved it. The only other series that captivated me in that way was Zelda, it truly felt special. The way the world was so seamlessly linked together seriously impressed me, as did the layers upon layers of depth the gameplay had. When I heard about the sequel, Dark Souls 2, not being so hot, I decided to skip out on it. Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be great, but we'll save that for another time.

Enter Bloodborne.

I played for about an hour last night, and I can already tell that this is going to be something special. The Victorian-era design and the super fast-paced gameplay make for an incredibly fresh experience coming off of its predecessor, and From Software still manage to find ways to have the game kick my ass. I made it pretty far without dying, but I managed to lose almost 5000 souls (Or blood? Whatever its called) when I got to the top of a bridge with two hulking werewolves atop it. Prior to that I found some sweet hunter armor in a rat-filled well, and basked in the atmosphere of the place.

This is my first game on the PS4, it's truly a great way to start off the system. Really loving this so far

ESBL

I died like 30 times in 10 minutes when I first got this; would've died more if not for the long load times. Need to give this game another shot .

Luminaire

Weekly Bloodborne thread, LET'S GO!

Welcome, new blood stain. I hope you keep enjoying the game. Feel free to ask questions. Check your Bubble Bobble at the door.

Also feel free to take some time to experiment with new weapons, you might really like some move sets.

xviper

play Demon's souls, the best one of them all

Dark souls 3 is good if you like fighting Humanoid bosses since 70% of the game's bosses are a dude in armor, that game had no boss variation and it made it boring as hell, let alone no new ideas like Bloodborne had

even Nioh( which i disliked) had much better bosses than Dark souls 3

Toxi

Banned
Just to warn you ahead of time: Buy Blood Vials with any extra Blood Echoes you have when you visit the Hunter's Dream. It's more efficient than farming them off of enemy drops. Even if you need to farm for Blood Vials, make sure you are using the Blood Echoes you get to buy them.

And man, you've got an amazing journey ahead of you. :)

Sjefen

I died like 30 times in 10 minutes when I first got this; would've died more if not for the long load times. Need to give this game another shot .

This is me now, still getting used to the controls. Really want to play this game but have alot to learn. I use Blood Vials but lose health, what am I doing wrong?

I-hate-u

Make sure to play the DLC Old Hunters after you finish your first run of the game, and read a bit on the lore. It's not an exaggeration to say it contains one of the best moments in gaming in the past 10 years.

That feeling you have entering the world for the first time, it's amazing. The sheer apprehension at what horrors you'll face around the next corner. Eyeing how many echoes you have, trying to make sure you can backpedal quickly.

Bloodborne is truly one of the greats. Enjoy
be unendingly frustrated with
your experience, OP. Hunter's armor is the best, saw/axe is a great all-around combo.

Also, charged 2-handed Axe attack = GOAT

Toxi

Banned
This is me now, still getting used to the controls. Really want to play this game but have alot to learn. I use Blood Vials but lose health, what am I doing wrong?
The triangle button uses a Blood Vial. You're probably pressing up on the D-pad, which instead uses some of your health to make 5 bullets.

PSqueak

Banned
I played for about an hour last night, and I can already tell that this is going to be something special. The Victorian-era design and the super fast-paced gameplay make for an incredibly fresh experience coming off of its predecessor, and From Software still manage to find ways to have the game kick my ass. I made it pretty far without dying, but I managed to lose almost 5000 souls (Or blood? Whatever its called) when I got to the top of a bridge with two hulking werewolves atop it. Prior to that I found some sweet hunter armor in a rat-filled well, and basked in the atmosphere of the place.

Check the area to the side of the werewolves if you havent, there should be one regular guy in front of a set of stairs, the way to a major short cut to the first check point is there.

Adam Blue

Such a great game. My favorite of all time. I started playing a bit more recently and feel that rush that no other game gives me.

But start the dlc before the last boss. If you are like me, you would have started new game plus before you know it. You would have to proceed to like 5th boss before you access dlc. Yes DLC is GOAT and so is base game :)

Make sure to play the DLC Old Hunters after you finish your first run of the game, and read a bit on the lore. It's not an exaggeration to say it contains one of the best moments in gaming in the past 10 years.

LordOfChaos

You're certainly in for a treat. The first hour or two are ok, it gets increasingly insaneballs awesome from there.

Don't sweat the echoes too much, 5K will be nothing soon.

LordOfChaos

So ... you want OP to suffer as you have?

That's cold breh

Eh? Ludwigs can certainly carry you through the end. Had my blood rock in mine.

Really almost any weapon can carry you to the end, even the starters (especially spin 2 win). Ludwigs started doing a lot more damage than the hunters axe as I leveled up, much better scaling.

I agree, you do! The first segment is deliberately hard, once you make it past the first two bosses (one is skippable, but don't), things click and start making sense.

StoneFox

Feel free to experiment with any weapon, they all have unique movesets and playstayles. That being said, a lot of people consider the Hunter's Axe, Saw Cleaver and Ludwig's Sword "easy mode" as they tend to stagger enemies pretty reliably and dish out a ton of damage. I made it through pretty much the whole game with the Saw Cleaver until I fell in love with a DLC weapon.

Have fun. :)

A tip in general that may also help you with where you are now - you don't have to fight everything. Running past enemies and backtracking a bit later can be useful.

Cane whip is da bess!

Servbot24

Banned
I played the entire game and NG+ with Saw Blade. Never even tried another weapon other than for a couple seconds to see what they look like.

GodofWine

Good luck. This was my first 'souls' game, and I managed to beat the first 5 or so bosses without dying, then I ran into a boss who beat me, then beat me 9 times, and then I stopped playing. There were a lot of little fighting mechanics I never learnt it seems, like using the firearm to parry, never did it once...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You're in for a treat. It's one of the best games of the generation.

And as for the weapon stuff... Honestly, every single weapon in the game is viable. People swear by different weapons, all saying that their preferred weapon feels borderline overpowered (or actually overpowered) once they really get the hang of it. That's how good the weapons are in this game. Go with whichever one that you like, because there's really no wrong choice.

Landford

Banned
Not nearly as good as many people suggest, but its easilly the best "Souls" game since DS 2. It really helped me rinse the terrible taste of Dark Souls 3. Advice for the OP: Take the game very, very slowly. I cant remember the last game I played where everything was so filled with purpose, meaning and character: even the architecture, the NPCs, the mood, the art, music, everything was made with care and purpose. Amazing game overall.

Toxi

Banned
Pro-tip: LAAA x3
3TM5FlB.png

farisr

This was my first souls game.

It took me 4 hours to get to and beat the first boss. But something just clicked, and I then proceeded to kill most of the other bosses (and I faced every single one in the game, including the optional ones) in my first try. I would only die in scenarios with a bunch of different enemies in the same area with no decent route of escaping.

After beating the game, I decided to see how long it would take for me to start from the beginning and get to the first boss/defeat it. Took me like 10 minutes.

You know what?? Even tho I just brought For Honor and i just made it to the last part of Nioh... I think I'm about to do another bloodborne run this weekend.. I know my arch nemesis Micholas cage is waiting for me

Top Bottom