• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

BurntPork

Banned
Just because you want to live in your fantasy world where Nintendo will always be portable king, doesn't mean everyone else wants to.

I just hate Apple in general. I know that they're the "portable king" by technicality.

And they haven't done shit for gaming and don't deserve any acknowledgement. They made a store, devs decided "hey, we can put games here", and Apple ran with it. There's nothing "revolutionary" about it. They changed other things, which in turn had an effect on gaming. I mean, look.

Atari made console gaming a big thing before accidentally killing it.
Nintendo brought console gaming back from the dead and practically invented portable gaming.
Sony showed that consoles are serious entertainment devices and not just "toys".
Microsoft created DirectX and completely revolutionized online for consoles

Apple made a dev-friendly app store.

Apple doesn't even belong in the same breath as companies like them. Steve Jobs sould not be considered an important person in gaming. It's just disgusting that they get praise just because it's Apple. That's the only reason. A company with next to no investment in gaming should not get credit for "revolutionizing" it.

I just hate Apple in general. I know that they're the "portable king" by technicality.

And they haven't done shit for gaming and don't deserve any acknowledgement. They made a store, devs decided "hey, we can put games here", and Apple ran with it. There's nothing "revolutionary" about it. They changed other things, which in turn had an effect on gaming. I mean, look.

Atari made console gaming a big thing before accidentally killing it.
Nintendo brought console gaming back from the dead and practically invented portable gaming.
Sony showed that consoles are serious entertainment devices and not just "toys".
Microsoft created DirectX and completely revolutionized online for consoles

Apple made a dev-friendly app store.

Apple doesn't even belong in the same breath as companies like them. Steve Jobs sould not be considered an important person in gaming. It's just disgusting that they get praise just because it's Apple. That's the only reason. A company with next to no investment in gaming should not get credit for "revolutionizing" it.

You do realize that anything you have to say about apple from the point after your first sentence will pretty much be ignored, right?

I pretty much disagree with every winner and nomination

But why is Bethesda in pub of the year over EA/Sony/heck... even over Activision?

BurntPork

Banned
You do realize that anything you have to say about apple from the point after your first sentence will pretty much be ignored, right?

If you assume that it's blind hate and that I don't have reasons, sure. But them again, if I had said "yes, I'm upset because Nintendo should be #1", would that have changed anything? Apple fanboys will ignore me, but I don't care because I think little of them anyway.

I thought Edge would be smart enough to give Dark Souls GOTY :( Then again they weren't smart enough to give SS less than a 10, so bah!

image.php

So... Why can't Skyward Sword be one of the best games he's ever played, exactly?
I haven't played it myself, but I don't get how one poster can decide another poster's favorite games...

Listen...I recognize I'm being a dick. I know this. Like...I DO.

With that said, Skyward Sword isn't a bad game. It's a good game. But it's also a really confusing game for me.

Childish...but complicated.

Cute...but pretty serious at times.

Motion controls which are supposed to be casual player friendly (I know...I don't love the casual term either but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.)...but playing it is NOT casual at all. I can see the first real boss being a complete ass-kicker for a number of people.

AND...the pace fucking drags it's feet.

The audio is fine. The music is typical Zelda fare. I'm not appalled by it, nor am I in awe of it.

All in all...the game is very much a Zelda game...with motion controls. The combat is the most innovative part of it with the need to attack with specific motions and sometimes specific directions. This is interesting despite the fact that it's handled a bit inelegantly or inaccurately at times.

With all the games that have come out this year, let alone the last five years...I'm completely baffled by statements such as "one of the best games I have ever played".

Anyway...yeah.

ASIS

There are some statements made here that are completely without a moderate level of reason.

Some are hyperbolic and you can tell that the writer was simply venting or exaggerating for the sake of being able to do so. (emboldened by the anonymity afforded by the internet...etc) Others though are quite genuine and seemingly they genuinely think "statement X" is accurate based solely upon the fact that it's their opinion and opinions can't ever be wrong...right? Because it's their opinion.

Some opinions can be "wrong".

If it sounds hyperbolic then you don't agree with it. It doesn't make it wrong.

There are many times where I felt like face palming here in GAF, a lot of times because people don't seem to "get it". But I never had less respect for them or thought that they just plain were wrong.

Opinions can never be wrong, simply because there is no definitive standard. They can be challenged, they can be "wrong" if there is a contradiction in the flow of logic, but a simple statement like "Game X is one of my favorites" can never, EVER, be wrong.

krYlon

You think Skyward Sword deserves game of the year accolades...awesome. It's definitely your opinion. Saying it's the best game you have ever played to simply reinforce your belief that it deserves game of the year is madness. This whole, "Well it's just my opinion" thing that seems to be picking up momentum here and...well...everywhere is growing tiresome. Opinions can be quite wrong, or flatout nonsense.

I can't quite believe what I am reading here...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Personally I think because its too inconsistent. Dungeons are excellent but there's too many fetch/collecting quests in between that I can't see anybody having fun with.
See, you'd be wrong. I enjoyed all of the pre-dungeon segments except for one (pre-dungeon 4)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Don't agree with Skyward Sword as GOTY but the reactions are hysterical.

Maybe we should ignore its terrible combat and crown Skyrim game of the century already to make everyone happy.

Also, lol @ BF3 not winning audio design or Shogun 2 even being an honorable mention for visuals.

If you assume that it's blind hate and that I don't have reasons, sure. But them again, if I had said "yes, I'm upset because Nintendo should be #1", would that have changed anything? Apple fanboys will ignore me, but I don't care because I think little of them anyway.

image.php

Well the same could be said of Nintendo fanboys.

Just looking at there outputs...

EA had Dead Space 2, BF3, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm.

Bethesda had Skyrim, Rage and ............ Brink?

If we want to go on who is more Evil.

EA have that whole anti steam thing going.

then again Bethesda are suing the Minecraft guy and released the ps3 version of Skyrim.

See, you'd be wrong. I enjoyed all of the pre-dungeon segments except for one (pre-dungeon 4)

Indeed, I was very surprised how everything I expected to be padding turned out to be, well, proper content. Content that re-used environments, sure, but great content nonetheless. I can't think of anything I'd call padding... except maybe the pre-dungeon 4 stuff, sure, that was a bit too 'fetch quest', even if it did have that bitching hard mini-boss.

You most certainly are...

I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game but saying "it's the best game I've ever played".

There's simply no place for statements like that considering the games that have come out in the last five years, let alone ten years.

You think Skyward Sword deserves game of the year accolades...awesome. It's definitely your opinion. Saying it's the best game you have ever played to simply reinforce your belief that it deserves game of the year is madness. This whole, "Well it's just my opinion" thing that seems to be picking up momentum here and...well...everywhere is growing tiresome. Opinions can be quite wrong, or flatout nonsense.

...and you still need to play more games.

Out of idle curiosity, what game do you think deserves it? I assume you think Skyrim is the end-all, be-all of RPG gaming?

Listen...I recognize I'm being a dick. I know this. Like...I DO.

With that said, Skyward Sword isn't a bad game. It's a good game. But it's also a really confusing game for me.

Childish...but complicated.

Cute...but pretty serious at times.

Motion controls which are supposed to be casual player friendly (I know...I don't love the casual term either but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.)...but playing it is NOT casual at all. I can see the first real boss being a complete ass-kicker for a number of people.

AND...the pace fucking drags it's feet.

The audio is fine. The music is typical Zelda fare. I'm not appalled by it, nor am I in awe of it.

All in all...the game is very much a Zelda game...with motion controls. The combat is the most innovative part of it with the need to attack with specific motions and sometimes specific directions. This is interesting despite the fact that it's handled a bit inelegantly or inaccurately at times.

With all the games that have come out this year, let alone the last five years...I'm completely baffled by statements such as "one of the best games I have ever played".

Anyway...yeah.

You know, I see where you're coming from... But the thing is, people often look past flaws of games that they enjoy a lot.

For example:

One of my favorite games of all time is No More Heroes.

A broken mess of a game with a horrible overworld and fairly odd pacing.
But I enjoyed it more than pretty much any other game that has come out this generation.
Most people would (and have) call it an awful game, in fact. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the ever loving fuck out of it.

I wonder how many game bigdaddygamebot has played.

Just soz ya know...

Mainstream Game of the Year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Played
Dark Souls - Played
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Played

Indie Game of the Year
SpaceChem - Played
Bastion - Played

Triple Town

Portable Game of the Year
Mario Kart 7 -Played
Super Mario 3D Land - Played

Jetpack Joyride

Best Online Experience
Dark Souls
Portal 2 - Played
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Best Visual Design
Uncharted 3 - Played
Battlefield 3 - Played
Child of Eden - Played

Best Audio Design
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

So...some but not all on that list. I play/try a fair amount of games (probably too many)

Corky said:
Two on each console.

I don't really get what you're saying but I'm sure it's wicked funny.

Yup. They did that last month by giving Zelda a 10, and then they're doing it again by awarding it a game of the year award.

Seems they must have played the version of the game without the 20 hours of useless padding.

or maybe they just enjoyed the padding, or at the very least didn't overreact like little sissies at a minor annoyance

You know, I see where you're coming from... But the thing is, people often look past flaws of games that they enjoy a lot.

For example:

One of my favorite games of all time is No More Heroes.

A broken mess of a game with a horrible overworld and fairly odd pacing.
But I enjoyed it more than pretty much any other game that has come out this generation.
Most people would (and have) call it an awful game, in fact. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the ever loving fuck out of it.

No More Heroes tried to do some pretty special things. You're not going to get any pushback from me about statements such as "one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played" or "one of the most memorable games I have ever played."

My only complaint with that list is the lack of Dead Space 2.

:(

It's going to suffer a bit...but not too much but a bit from "out too early in the year" syndrome.

Biblical allegories are hard.

Yeah, you're way too smart for me.

traveler

Not Wario
I'll continue my Portal 2 championing and just note how disappointed I am that it wasn't even nominated for GotY. Having played all three of the games in the GotY category to completion, I'll also say I wouldn't have nominated a single one of them if I was restricted to three contenders. They all have massive, massive flaws and I'm also slightly disappointed to see them grabbing top accolades everywhere. (with the exception of Dark Souls, which isn't getting that much attention)

What makes Dark Souls online better than what Battlefield 3 is offering?

It is pretty unique for one, even compared to Demon's Souls. If you're into PVP, joining a covenant and defending your realm is fun. Tons of fun. And some of the covenants get unique perks and conditions. It is a nice twist.

BF is BF, which isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's awesome. But depending on the criteria you're using to judge these things, I can see why Dark Souls would get the nod over BF3.

Just looking at there outputs...

EA had Dead Space 2, BF3, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm.

Bethesda had Skyrim, Rage and ............ Brink?

If we want to go on who is more Evil.

EA have that whole anti steam thing going.

then again Bethesda are suing the Minecraft guy and released the ps3 version of Skyrim.

EA had more output? No shit, they're huge. They're also ran by anti-consumer wankers, with a hyper-cynical view on what we want from them, and boners for a mass market that doesn't give a shit about them. It's the industry equivalent of this thread, with EA being the OP, us being his girlfriend, and the mass market being the 'smokin hot girl'. It's despicable, they're idiots, and they deserve our utmost hatred.

Bethesda released a great game, a fair game, and a disappointing game. Oh, and some DLC. Their attitude when releasing these things was impeccable, so they're the better publisher. The Notch lawsuit and Skyrim PS3 is nothing compared to, well, EA.

or maybe they just enjoyed the padding, or at the very least didn't overreact like little sissies at a minor annoyance

If I'm to be absolutely rational about all this it's this...

I don't have time for 40+ hour console games. So I hate padding. Especially when they're done in a pretty "fuck you" kind of way.
But then, the game happens to be progressive and incredibly conservative at the same time.
I will ignore the controls since they're incredibly polarising anyway. (for reference they pissed me off far too often.. Edge loved them, fair enough).

To put it short, I would rather play a game that is superb for 10 hours straight than a game that has 10 hours of brilliance mixed with what I consider crap for another 10.

Marleyman

Banned
It is pretty unique for one, even compared to Demon's Souls. If you're into PVP, joining a covenant and defending your realm is fun. Tons of fun. And some of the covenants get unique perks and conditions. It is a nice twist.

BF is BF, which isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's awesome. But depending on the criteria you're using to judge these things, I can see why Dark Souls would get the nod over BF3.

It is unique, that is for sure. I think what you are saying is a solid argument for it as well, I just happen to think that Battlefield 3(which isn't even in their top 3 or whatever) delivers a damn solid online experience. It has been the best online experience I have had this year, but yeah, I could see that Edge went with Dark Souls because of the reasons you stated.

When I realized that the bell I was hearing were other players ringing the bell. That was spectacular. I have some really great moments about getting helped in that game and helping people in that game.

But with that said, the connectivity issues that the game had from the beginning should exclude it from being in the top three.

ASIS

True, but there are less assholes in that fanbase, and don't think that Nintendo would try to sue Sony for making a shiny console.

LOL what? I once got torn apart in the gamespot forums for not recommending a Wii to a person who cherished Visuals.

Nintendo fanboys are some of the worst.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've played Kirby's Fun Pak so that's at least 8 games right there. Is that enough?

I could add Wario Ware into the mix for another 200+.

Kubisa

Neo Member
If you include the Dark Souls online community as part of the experience, you find a lot of users coming together to help one another, builds being discussed, the storyline being pieced together and a level of courtesy between gamers that you won't find anywhere else. The amount of respect between blue phantoms and those that summon them is great, and the fear of red phantoms that invade isn't found in any of game. Add in the soul signs being left on the ground to help you and you have an experience which is actually rather pleasant, and a major shift from the traditional online package.

I back it as the best online experience 100%.

EA had more output? No shit, they're huge. They're also ran by anti-consumer wankers, with a hyper-cynical view on what we want from them, and boners for a mass market that doesn't give a shit about them. It's the industry equivalent of this thread, with EA being the OP, us being his girlfriend, and the mass market being the 'smokin hot girl'. It's despicable, they're idiots, and they deserve our utmost hatred.

Bethesda released a great game, a fair game, and a disappointing game. Oh, and some DLC. Their attitude when releasing these things was impeccable, so they're the better publisher. The Notch lawsuit and Skyrim PS3 is nothing compared to, well, EA.

And what did Ubisoft put out?

It seems like Edge kept all of their categories "samey" to an extent.

Didn't Ubisoft put out Child of Eden?

It just feels like Edge didn't put a tonne of thought into the the top three representatives of each category.

ASIS

If I'm to be absolutely rational about all this it's this...

I don't have time for 40+ hour console games. So I hate padding. Especially when they're done in a pretty "fuck you" kind of way.
But then, the game happens to be progressive and incredibly conservative at the same time.
I will ignore the controls since they're incredibly polarising anyway. (for reference they pissed me off far too often.. Edge loved them, fair enough).

To put it short, I would rather play a game that is superb for 10 hours straight than a game that has 10 hours of brilliance mixed with what I consider crap for another 10.

Again, some of the "Padding" here is actually my highlights of the game. I understand if you don't like long games due to time constraint though, that could be cumbersome.

Top Bottom