• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has VR stalled ?

Has the Hype around it fallen off a cliff ? People are far more interested in 4K & HDR it seems to me and the cost hasn't come down enough for casuals to get involved.I know from personal experience how great High quality VR is but it's not in the frame for the average gamer the industry needs for VR to progress.

Nope still play Werewolves Within on a daily basis, best game ever!

CEJames

That's cool and all, but when we eventually get our 400+ hour vr rpg/mmo, I really don't want to spend any of it standing up and waving my arms around while doing my quests.

Then don't play this theoretical game that will never happen? Problem solved.

And why can't it happen? Maybe not now but based on that tone, you're putting it like it will never happen.

Humans have come a long way, ya know. What's to stop us from continuing to go further and have tech like you see in Sword Art Online, for example. Just need people to continue to support the dream and it can become reality.

WITHE1982

As far as I'm aware sales of PSVR have far exceeded expectation and have only recently been readily available to buy for the first time since launch. In fact sales of Sony's headset have already engulfed those of the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

Andrew House recently admitted that they made a massive mistake in not producing more units as Sony completely underestimated the demand.

I wouldn't say that is "stalling". IMO It's still far too early in the headset's life-cycle to judge it a success or failure.

*based only on PSVR as I know very little about both Vive and Oculus

keraj37

As far as I'm aware sales of PSVR have far exceeded expectation and have only recently been readily available to buy for the first time since launch. In fact sales of Sony's headset have already engulfed those of the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

Andrew House recently admitted that they made a massive mistake in not producing more units as Sony completely underestimated the demand.

I wouldn't say that is "stalling". IMO It's still far too early in the headset's life-cycle to judge it a success or failure.

*based only on PSVR as I know very little about both Vive and Oculus

What if expectations weren't high?

WITHE1982

What if expectations weren't high?

Based on the fact that they didn't produce enough units I'm guessing they weren't that high.

Even still it's being reported that 900,000 units+ have been sold and for me, given the price point, is a pretty healthy number especially due to the issues in stocking the headset.

Now that it's finally out there in shops we can start to judge just how much of a sucess or failure it's going to be.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Doesn't matter. Asking people to put anything on and adjust themselves to enjoy the experience won't ever have broad acceptance. Look at 3D. Shutter glasses weren't a big deal in themselves, and polarized lenses in theaters was practically nothing. Hell, the 3DS doesn't need glasses at all, and how many people used that feature after the first year? Anything that's a step or two removed from immediacy of playing the game will be treated as a momentary gimmick by most people. I'm the kind of person who loves tech, but I got over the initial rush of VR pretty quickly. Even as the hardware and software improves, I honestly don't have any interest in returning to it. Once the wow is gone it's not worth the hassle for most people.

People are fine with putting on headphones for music and wearing shades or glasses, I dont see why not. I am guessing one day in the future, they are going to have a VR/AR glasses that can also work like a normal glasses too (maybe a button on it to switch between the two modes). People isn't going to wear it 24/7, but its going to be as common as current glasses

You claim to love tech, but you pointed out a problem that Oculus has already acknowledged in 2015 and is working to resolve it. I dont know, man.

That's cool and all, but when we eventually get our 400+ hour vr rpg/mmo, I really don't want to spend any of it standing up and waving my arms around while doing my quests.

I hope this is not shocking to you in anyway, but there are also lots of titles that doesnt use motion control too. Some dont even use a gamepad or motion control to play (eg Headbutt Factory)

Plasma

Banned
Not for me, I got a PSVR at launch and then when the new game releases started to run dry I picked up a Rift and just about every good VR game going on it. I'm still loving it and aside from playing a lot of Mass Effect and Horizon recently most of my gaming this year has been playing VR titles.

karasu

I don't even know why we're talking about mass appeal right now. It's new technology and people want it to sell like a ps4 or something. It's totally okay for it to be a niche product for awhile. Gaming, in general, was niche once and we still had plenty of great experiences back then. We just have to let VR breathe and not try to drown it under the weight of our own cynicism. Comparing it to Kinect is silly as fuck. Kinect was more akin to something like Siri. And even that tech is growing in popularity by the year, with Alexa and such, regardless of the fate of the Kinect. It's not dead by any means. This is the time for VR to find it's legs by playing to the enthusiasts. It's way too early to be assuming what "most people" will be comfortable with in the long run.

Planet

I don't even know why we're talking about mass appeal right now.
Because since a couple of months before(!) launch of PSVR some people desperately try to prove that VR is already dead, month after month, thread after thread. Games come out almost every week, they say it's dried up. New games keep getting announced, they say nothing is coming. PSVR is still flying off the shelves as soon as it arrives, they say people lost interest. Quite fascinating.

I think VR is doing as expected, although the PSVR numbers are really good and better than even Sony expected. So with PSVR selling more than Rift and Vive, hopefully it will make more VR devs take notice and support PSVR now it has a larger audience.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
I payed $80 USD for Bubble Bobble in the early 90s. At the time gaming was an expensive niche market. A naysayer in this thread should've let Nintendo and Sega know that it was never going to be accepted and only a fad.

VR isn't going anywhere. It has plenty of upside and plenty of low hanging fruit for improvement. You'll see resolution, display, size, ergonomics improvements relatively quickly. Display manufacturers (Like Samsung) will start leveraging VR intended displays instead of repurposed mobile displays and of course sell them to everyone.

Bert

I know lots of people that would love to try it, but virtually no one who has. Suggests price point is the biggest issue.

I'm hoping that 2019/20 we see a proper next gen of headsets and consoles that can handle it at a decent price.

Though honestly, I think mobile VR will come up to "good enough" level before high end VR drops to an acceptable price.

The heck game is this?

Quell 4D

I bought it back at launch because of how much I enjoyed the aesthetic, ( not too surprising as a huge fan of Katamari Damacy :D ) but only put about 2 hours into it because I had so many other VR games to play at the time. Seeing it in motion here has me wanting to get back to it so I probably will next time I get a chance. I also still intend to give you those detailed impressions of what I thought about the Organ Quarter demo but all the new traditional games that have been coming out alongside my Switch have been taking up most of my time :p I can definitely say that the small amount of the demo that I've played so far has been really enjoyable as someone that usually can't stand "jumpscare" style horror since OQ seems to avoid that kind of stuff which is perfect for me. I even backed the "early bird" tier of the game on Kickstarter after just a few minutes with the demo because of how much promise it shows despite being a demo.

Because since a couple of months before(!) launch of PSVR some people desperately try to prove that VR is already dead, month after month, thread after thread. Games come out almost every week, they say it's dried up. New games keep getting announced, they say nothing is coming. PSVR is still flying off the shelves as soon as it arrives, they say people lost interest. Quite fascinating.

Yeah, it's been pretty entertaining seeing the same names thread after thread freaking out that VR still hasn't died yet like they desperately want it to because they're so afraid its going to take away their precious traditional games. Like many others have said before, VR gaming is complementary to traditional gaming, not a replacement.

I know lots of people that would love to try it, but virtually no one who has. Suggests price point is the biggest issue.

I'm hoping that 2019/20 we see a proper next gen of headsets and consoles that can handle it at a decent price.

Though honestly, I think mobile VR will come up to "good enough" level before high end VR drops to an acceptable price.

I'll have to look for a quote, but someone from Oculus recently said that they are very aware that price is a barrier to entry and while they want to innovate, they also know the price needs to be driven down in order to reach mass adoption.

My guess is that the next round of headsets will initially be around 600-700 bucks including controls, which will drive the current gen down to around the $300 point. I think at that point they'll keep the older headsets compatible with new games as well, so getting the new gen will be like upgrading to a PS4 Pro rather than splitting up the userbase as far as VR games go.

This is my view as well. I'm leaning toward the tech just being to early, but it really does have the 3D (TV) vibe from multiple angles.

There are signs everywhere that this isn't true, but you have to choose to be aware of them.

KORNdoggy

it's only stalled if you're not actually following VR very closely.

games are continuously being released, hundreds of games are still being made. the products are still selling. it's not, and never was going to sell 50 million in a year...that's not what first gen VR is. it's just a foundation to build on.

so no, i don't think it's stalled at all. it's just not a mainstream device. i see those as different things.

c0de

I think VR is doing as expected, although the PSVR numbers are really good and better than even Sony expected. So with PSVR selling more than Rift and Vive, hopefully it will make more VR devs take notice and support PSVR now it has a larger audience.

What are the numbers?

What are the numbers?

It was over 900,000 a month ago so it's probably right around a million at this point.

At this point software needs a big push in general, and while Oculus gets a lot of shit I think they're doing the best job right now at giving us high quality and varied games. Robo Recall was initially thought to have a budget of around 10 million dollars but was corrected and it looks to be about half that. If developers can consistently create games of that quality with that budget, I think they should be able to profit, especially if they're cross platform.

b0bbyJ03

at the risk of sounding cliche I think its a marathon, not a sprint for VR. Many of my friends, myself included, are interested in VR but non of us are ready to jump in (actually 2 of them already have). I've played several hours of VR and I'm fully convinced that its not a gimmick. I'm sold, but I still think it needs more time in the oven. We need better headsets with better resolution (even tho that's not what's holding me back), less bulk to them, a few killer apps, less wiring, and THE most important, a lower price point. If I could get a Vive type headset for $300 right now, I wouldn't even need time to consider. I think once it matures there will be widespread adoption. It's just too good not to happen.

PSVR 915000 sold worldwide

Virtual boy : Units sold‎: ‎770,000

Wii fit: 1.433 million copies

Compared to consoles / handhelds, it isn't good

For a 400-500 dollar peripheral it isn't bad, especially considering 1. they had shortages for months, 2. It's only been out for 6 months. It's also likely more like a million at this point, that number was from a month ago.

My guess is it drops 100 bucks by the holidays, which should give it a nice boost as well. Say it sells 2-4 million within the PS4's lifetime (next 3 years or so), I wouldn't say that's a failure at all for such an expensive piece of hardware.

VR doesn't need to take over the games industry overnight in order to be relevant and continue to move forward. It's going to exist alongside traditional games for a while, and I don't see it fizzling out. There's sure to be another generation of VR in the near enough future which will continue to improve on what is already a very strong first gen entry.

As long as there are games on the horizon (which there are), and developers see that it is possible to succeed in the VR space (like RE7), then it's not stalling at all.

M3d10n

Many posts in this thread show how massively out of touch and stuck in a bubble many on GAF are. The comparisons to 3D TVs and Kinect are specially hilarious.

I don't remember neither of those spawning their own developer conventions and events that get bigger and bigger each year, drive up investment funds all over the worlds, make the Khronos group begin working on a new standard, make Apple go into a hiring spree and make Microsoft add native support for it directly to the Windows desktop.

ChouGoku

I imagine Sony will spend a good portion of their E3 on VR. It sold better than expectation (no kidding, ballache finding one).

I really hope it takes off in some way, there are so many exciting possibilities with VR not just in gaming.

Yea looking at VR as primarily a gaming medium is like looking at Televisions as primary gaming mediums. Although unlike TV its starting as primarily a gaming medium, when VR takes off thats not what most people will be doing with VR.
Of course until we get to matrix levels and most people will be living out vr "games"

Why? Google glasses fizzled out after the novelty wore off. VR and AR are two evasive for most people. Most people need a little distance from their tech, and need an instant ease of use without adjustment. I can see the tech being built into car windshields, but most aren't going to want to wear it close to their eyes. Just like most people don't use those little Bluetooth ear pieces even though it's better than shouting at a phone connected through their car's audio.

Google glass was expensive and very minor AR. They also had a camera which people were not as nearly comfortable with at the time. The AR was limited, and not MR like something like Hololens or (reportedly) Magic Leap. I think people will want AR/MR once it gets good enough and cheap enough like the smartphone. When they were expensive, underdeveloped, and called the palm pilot and cell phone; they sold well but they were too expensive and too limited in scope to have the market saturation that smartphones do today. When the day comes where you can look at someone and their information pops up, have your own personal HUD, or when you can counjure up a 100 inch virtural screen to watch movies or play traditional games on, is when MR looks more like a necessity than a convenience.

spock

I'll have to look for a quote, but someone from Oculus recently said that they are very aware that price is a barrier to entry and while they want to innovate, they also know the price needs to be driven down in order to reach mass adoption.

My guess is that the next round of headsets will initially be around 600-700 bucks including controls, which will drive the current gen down to around the $300 point. I think at that point they'll keep the older headsets compatible with new games as well, so getting the new gen will be like upgrading to a PS4 Pro rather than splitting up the userbase as far as VR games go.

There are signs everywhere that this isn't true, but you have to choose to be aware of them.

If you have to really look harder to see the signs than odds are its slowed. Compare things to last year or even 6 months ago and there is at least less interest from the mass market. Like you said though price/tech is the major barrier. Though even things like gear vr were generating interest riding the awareness wave. Now not so much now. I disagree on the older tech vs new tech being a pro like situation. The tech as a whole needs to improve and get wireless while being cheaper and equal or better in quality before the larger public gets interested enough to pay. Till then is going to draw enthusiasts which is a limited market. This why many are saying mobile vr is most likely the path of least resistance once the tech to cost issue balances.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
As long as VR tech involves putting on a giant visor, a huge financial commitment, and lack of drive by developers to make games, it will always be a fad. The next wave, whenever it comes, will be the same.

coughlanio

I'm not an Apple fan per-se, but I think it would take them doing their own version of Daydream or Cardboard to kick off.

FinalAres

It depends what you expect from VR.

3D films puts many people off because of the glasses.

So now imagine those glasses are a big headset. For a pastime that's supposed to be relaxing (for many) it's kind of uncomfortable.

That's not to say it's not great, and that lots of people won't love it...but there's a big barrier to widespread appeal.

Maybe where it is now IS a success. All things considered.

ChouGoku

Many posts in this thread show how massively out of touch and stuck in a bubble many on GAF are. The comparisons to 3D TVs and Kinect are specially hilarious.

I don't remember neither of those spawning their own developer conventions and events that get bigger and bigger each year, drive up investment funds all over the worlds, make the Khronos group begin working on a new standard, make Apple go into a hiring spree and make Microsoft add native support for it directly to the Windows desktop.
Information from the people who make the same games we enjoy and high money investments don't mean anything, just go with your gut. Is PSVR selling like PS4? No? Then its the Virtua Boy

It depends what you expect from VR.

3D films puts many people off because of the glasses.

So now imagine those glasses are a big headset. For a pastime that's supposed to be relaxing (for many) it's kind of uncomfortable.

That's not to say it's not great, and that lots of people won't love it...but there's a big barrier to widespread appeal.

Maybe where it is now IS a success. All things considered.

The problem is that 3d movie glasses only offer a slightly different experience than what you see in 2D and you have to be sitting with your head in a certian way or the effect wont work. Thats not the same for VR and games or any 2d medium you can translate into VR.

jahepi

I think VR is here to stay, one of the best experiences i´ve had in gaming was playing Serious Sam on Vive, the tech is not yet affordable for most people so it will take several years to become mainstream, right now it is not ready for non-tech people, the setup process is difficult (PC & Headset), cables everywhere, the headset is not confortable after using it for a long period of time, etc., this tech will evolve and become cheaper for sure but right now it is intended for a small group of people (tech enthusiasts).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was excited for VR but i still feel it's way too early. not mature enough. plus the price is insane. even PSVR is still quite expensive and that is the cheapest way of playing. a £200 console and a £350-450 VR set up. on PC it is waay more. you need to build a beast of a PC and then fork out silly money for the headset.

VR has a lot of potential but the tech isn't there yet. let's try again in a decade or two.

Alebrije

It never was the new great video game revelation but it's doing fine, it has a niche market and think next E3 we will see new VR games for Sony and maybe for PC sets.

Bert

Would I be right in saying that any "true" AR product would be able to deliver VR as well? If so I suspect that'll be the breakthrough product. I can see so many uses for AR, either as a Hololens style device or a phone accessory. Once the iPhone for AR appears (as in a well designed working product not as in made by Apple) VR will be subsumed into that as an extra play style as it were.

jmdajr

Finally tried VR for the first time. Vive. It was cool and immersive, but resolution and optics have a long way to go, let alone controls.

12Dannu123

https://www.khronos.org/openxr

2016-vr-graphic-1.png

Valve donated OpenVR as its starting point. Still going to be a few years till it gets going - but regardless this point is irrelevant to all platforms.

VR will stop being a niche the moment reasonably price, high quality VR is available that can support high quality and variety of games (as far as gaming is concerned)

NO platform does this yet, and won't for quite some time - yet the high end such as PC VR is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, is exactly how this is reached.

Microsoft is the closet to this. They have the price, can get the content, that supports high quality and high variety of games because it supports multiple inputs.

It also is a scalable platform that runs on Mobile VR/AR to high end AR/VR to Standalone HMDs it also all UWP apps and has support for multi tasking like Hololens and can suppprt ARM and X86 no problems.

Ensoul

Never thought this would really catch on but it apparently has sold a good amount so who knows?

I did finally get to try it at pax east (I don't remember the name of the game but it was the game where you started off in a room and there where a bunch of puzzles you have to figure out to continue) and needless to I didn't like VR at all.

Yoda

I suppose it depends on what your expectations were prior to VR "launching". A brand new format was never going to become a dominate force right away. It'll take time for the install-base to grow to a point where more developers are willing to support it, and it'll take more software to convince people to buy it. Don't mistake this for a chicken before the egg argument, quite the contrary... it'll grow, but not at the the exponential growth curve some people assumed.

It's about where I expected it to be from when I first learned about the OR, VIVE, and PSVR.

Top Bottom