• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Seik

Banned
2116573_0.jpg

IrishNinja

subbed so hard mufuggas trynna find me

i love seeing so many on here coming around to one of nintendo's finest systems...not a whole lotta 3rd party support, but some absolute gems nonetheless. great work Seik!

ps us component cablebros should form a baller club to show what everyone's missing out on

Porcile

I'm missing a few classics. Baten Kaitos Origins, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia (Which I owned but sold a long time ago) and Chibi Robo being on my most wanted. PAL Gamecuber here.

jwk94

I see you have DBZ Sagas but not Viewtiful Joe. OP, you owe me an explanation
LLShC.gif

Nah, but sadly, I never had a Gamecube. I settled on my PS2. I did have a Wii though, but I never got around to picking up the GameCube controller or any games.

That mail-away Zelda compilation was a holy grail there for a sec, wasn't it?

I remember finding it at a GameStop after I already had finagled myself a copy. They were slanging it for around $40 if I remember right.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ahhh Four Swords Adventures was a blast. Probably one of my fondest gaming moments ever even though there were only three of us. I think it was the last time that my brother and I played a game together, laughing.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My panasonic q is my holy grail of my collection. Though the disc drive got damaged when I moved, really need to fix that some day.

Also I agree, the gamecube component cables are far superior in picture quality than the wii cables.

I've always wanted to get a lan adapter but I know I don't need it :p

My first 6th gen console, might be favourite Nintendo console after SNES: Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, FZero GX, MK DD, FF Crystal Chronicles etc

The Gamecube was a beast. I must have dropped mine a at least 6 times, maybe more and it never stopped working, never crashed, it was quite simply the most well made and reliable console I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Looking back, it should have served as a warning. Future consoles simply wouldn't have been able to live up to its legacy.

Anyway, to my shame I didn't really buy a lot of games at the time. It became a Capcom machine not long after I got it. Mario Sunshine was amazing though, what I wouldn't give for a sequel with better physics and more fleshed out world/game mechanics.

JMPerona

We should made a list in the OP with all the games we think are the best for the console. We can help each other to find these obscure gems. Im at the start of my gamecube collection. I found a gamecube with a few of the best games for around 76USD (500SEK):

IrishNinja

also yeah, lotta greats in the OP...i just picked up F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe recently, but there's a lot in there i should jump on one day

debated rebuying Mario Sunshine but i just cant see replaying it, wasn't my favorite

I'm missing a few classics. Baten Kaitos Origins, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia (Which I owned but sold a long time ago) and Chibi Robo being on my most wanted. PAL Gamecuber here.

i never did get around to playing Chibi Robo, was it that good?

The Gamecube was a beast. I must have dropped mine a at least 6 times, maybe more and it never stopped working, never crashed, it was quite simply the most well made and reliable console I've ever had the pleasure of using.

what the hell were you doing man

Ninja Dom

Hi,

Although I never owned this model I'm posting a picture of the awesome Panasonic Q.

PanasonicQ.jpg

The Q actually played retail movie DVD's and audio CD's as well as Nintendo Gamecube games.

Myself personally, I have a launch Japanese Gamecube (purple) and a launch US Gamecube (black).

OP, your boxes are... up-side down? Why?

We should made a list in the OP with all the games we think are the best for the console. We can help each other to find these obscure gems. Im at the start of my gamecube collection. I found a gamecube with a few of the best games for around 76USD (500 swedish crowns):

Use quote tags on that image, buddy. And don't translate kronor!

Wait, did you get all of that for 500 SEK? Paper Mario alone costs like 500 SEK. That's a really good deal.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, another one of these, of course I'm subscribing lol.

Anyways, I actually just bought my second Gamecube at a flea-market three weeks ago for $20 (100 Norwegian Kroners). A bit steep price I know, but it did include the Game Boy Player (which can be quite expensive around here), so I'd say it was worth it. Hate the fact that Baten Kaitos Origins only came out in the US btw, sucks for a Pal-owner like me.

DonMigs85

Here's my collection. A few games like Soul Calibur 2, Rebel Strike and Chibi Robo are on loan to a friend though
Also I originally had a non-Player's Choice F-Zero but it got destroyed in a fire so I had to get a new copy. I also sold Baten Kaitos Origins, which I kinda regret ;_;

6365347601_d8e5c8b9a1_b.jpg

what the hell were you doing man

The handle man. I always used to think I had a good grip on it and then BAM! It's falling to the ground in slow motion.

I still remember the first time I dropped it, I was in tears thinking it was broken. The relief when it turned on and worked perfectly was indescribable.

Ninja Dom

Gamecube OS Easter Eggs

Hold the Z button while turning on the Gamecube and hold for alternative sounds when the system boots up.

Hold the Z button on all four controllers for Japanese voices when booting up.

Turn on your Gamecube with no disk in the system, it takes you to a menu that looks like a cube. On this menu, you can hear ambient sounds playing in the background. If you record this screen for a little bit, (you need the audio.) and speed it up 16x in any basic program. You'll hear a little tune. That tune was actually the Famicom Disk System Startup theme. Nintendo made the Famicom Disk System in 1986, so it's cool that they'd add something like this to a newer console.

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/8439.html

I have always wanted an orange GameCube:

DSC02497.jpg

I dug through my collection the other day to work out exactly what I got for the £130 I paid for it in xmas 2003. I believe I got:

the console
Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition disc (free extra)
Metroid Prime Player's Choice
Resident Evil (managed to haggle for it in addition to the Zelda disc)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Super Mario Sunshine Player's Choice
Super Monkey Ball

..and a 64mb memory card which later deleted all my saves.

That was probably one of the best xmas times ever though. Bomba consoles with good libraries make the best gifts.

Kokonoe

Banned
Gamecube is the best console of it's generation, and my second favorite console of all time.

Great console design apart from using mini DVDs.
Fantastic controller.
Tons of amazing games.
Also is the only way to play Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II offline with multiplayer.

A system vastly superior to the Wii.

I love my GameCube.

z1lG9CY.gif

Seeing all these collections on shelves makes me want to start building a complete one of my own. The library is the perfect size - enough great games, but not too many that you can't buy them all for cheap.

Great idea for a thread, love my Gamecube in all its under-appreciated glory. Will get a few collection pics up later too. Anyone else have any imports? Would love to see some pics of those collections. Japanese Gamecube boxes are quite possibly the best thing ever.

Socreges

Banned
Wait, are you suggesting that GBA games look like anything but ass when ballooned up onto a television? Do the component cables make that big a difference?

My collection is pretty thin, but I just checked and these are the games I've decided to keep throughout the years:

Super Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Zelda OoT/MM/MQ
Fire Emblem: PoR
Viewtiful Joe
Pikmin
Paper Mario TTYD
F-Zero GX
Wave Race
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime

Quality over quantity. They're all games I can see myself returning to (and have recently).

Seik

Banned
Gamecube OS Easter Eggs

Hold the Z button while turning on the Gamecube and hold for alternative sounds when the system boots up.

Turn on your Gamecube with no disk in the system, it takes you to a menu that looks like a cube. On this menu, you can hear ambient sounds playing in the background. If you record this screen for a little bit, (you need the audio.) and speed it up 16x in any basic program. You'll hear a little tune. That tune was actually the Famicom Disk System Startup theme. Nintendo made the Famicom Disk System in 1986, so it's cool that they'd add something like this to a newer console.

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/8439.html

Hah, nice, I totally forgot about these.

Added to the OP, thanks! :)

These collection threads are the worst. It only gets people into collecting which drives up prices in auction sites, heh.

Anyway, I've always wanted the Panasonic Q, but it's quite expensive for a complete one.

I'm gonna have to photograph my collection when I'm next home.
The GameCube might just be my favourite console. It just was there at that formative time in my life (mid teens) where I had enough money to buy games of my own, but not so much that I bought every game ever and as a result appreciated each one less.

Still got my original Cube, and most of the games I ever owned for it.

My favourites that come to mind would be
  • Metroid Prime/Prime 2
  • Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
  • MGS: The Twin Snakes
  • Resident Evil (Remake)
  • F-Zero GX
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Killer7
  • SSX On Tour
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Super Smash Bros Melee
  • TimeSplitters 2

While it had it's share of release droughts and games that just didn't come to GC, god damn it had some incredible exclusives to make up for it.

I've come so close to grabbing component cables for my GC, but they always are *just* that little bit above my threshold. That, and I can play GC games via component on the Wii, and no PAL games support 480p anyway.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I still have a great copy of Ikaruga. I sold my gamecube a long time ago, ordered one on ebay about 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for it to get in. Loved the gamecube. It had the best version of Resident Evil. Great system.

IrishNinja

Gamecube OS Easter Eggs

these ones i totally didn't know, gonna try next time though!

Every one of you needs the Baten Kaitos games in your collection if you don't already have them and like RPGs.

never got this one, and was debating a replay of Skies of Arcadia (if we don't hear about an HD remake at e3 im prolly giving up on this one), went looking for prices on a GC copy...damn, wish idve double dipped on this when gamestop still carried it ($20!), damn

j.rob

Ahhhhh the gamecube. So many good times. I can't believe its been 10 years. I must have been 9 or 10 years old when I got it for christmas with Smash Bros.

Some of my faves were..

Smash Bros Melee
Sonic Adventure 2 battle
F-zero GX
Gotcha Force
Kirbys Air Ride
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Soul Calibur 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Resident evil Remake
Viewtifull Hoe

And countless others. But they stick out.

Porcile

I'm still peeved about no Baten Kaitos Origins in Europe :mad:

Ironic that these days we'd probably get it before the US. People complain about NoA but NoE was absolutely dire in the Gamecube days. 6 month waits for practically every game was painful at times. Animal Crossing was 2 years. By then everyone who wanted it had already imported it.

Sadist

Ironic that these days we'd probably get it before the US. People complain about NoA but NoE was absolutely dire in the Gamecube days. 6 month waits for practically every game was painful at times. Animal Crossing was 2 years. By then everyone who wanted it had already imported it.
Ugh tell me about it. It took ages for Tales of Symphonia to get here.

The way Nintendo handled the European launch of the Gamecube was a disgrace.

Japan - September
America - November
Europe - May

Talk about leaving it late. The Xbox got a head start and the PS2 was rampaging ahead. I remember reading that the European launch was delayed because of 'hardware shortages'. Laughable in retrospect.

Porcile

So why is Star Fox Assault pretty expensive? Was it a super-bomba or something?

Most late exclusive Gamecube games are pretty expensive. I doubt these games werem produced in huge quantities given GC's sluggish sales at the time. Chibi Robo is another.

Chopper

So...Cubivore. Is it actually any good? I'm in the UK, and as such have never played it. I know it has a cult following, but is it warranted?

MrT-Tar

I'm at my uni accomodation at the moment, so I only have the discs with me so I'll list my GC collection:

SSBMelee
Luigi's Mansion
Starfox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda Wind Waker + Bonus Second Disc
Pokemon Colosseum
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Starfox Assault
Timesplitters 2
Viewtiful Joe
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Paper Mario: TTYD
Mario Party 5
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
REmake
Resident Evil 0
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Pokemon Channel (don't judge me, I did it just for Jirachi)
Soul Calibur 2

I also own the Wii ports of RE4 and the two Pikmin games. I also want Baten Kaitos, but I'm hoping for a WiiU/3DS set of ports or a collection as Origins never saw a PAL localisation.

EDIT: I've always wanted, but never got round to purchasing, the GC Four Swords game. I really need to track that down sometime

Top Bottom