• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerdleaks: Sony Santa Monica's cancelled IP; futuristic, dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Came across this just now on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Nerd_Leaks/status/733679857498918913

'NerdLeaks
‏@Nerd_Leaks
Do u remember Santa Monica's cancelled IP? We saw: futuristic; strange planet; strange creatures & dinosaurs. Very interesting, what a pity!'

If this is true, then it really sucks. Maybe it could have been great. Would have definitely been a change of pace from God of War for the studio, even though I desperately want a new title in the series, and if current leaks are anything to go by, then the Norse angle could be a welcomed change and something I would look forward to. Hoping for an E3 reveal.

I wonder what happened during production with this cancelled IP, rumoured to be called Darkside. Maybe we'll find out someday.

A little too close to home with GG's Horizon, perhaps?

EDIT: NEW INFO from Nerdleaks.

Here are the information we collected:

• It’s a futuristic game, maybe it is set in 2034;
• It could be about worlds exploration;
• Some character take part in a mission called “Ark Mission Genesis – A.D. 2034”;
• Some characters’ name: August, Donovan, NightHorse;
• There are some strange humanoid creatures (aliens?), similar to mutant fishes;
• These creatures ride some kind of bison with unicorn;
• There’s a group of refugees or mercenaries;
• There are drones;
• There is a kraken-like creature;
• Enemies could be skeletal monsters with long arms;
• There are creatures similar to dinosaurs;
• You could scan new creatures for information about DNA and Origin;
• A lot of uniforms.

Only one of two possibilities:

- Game kept missing milestones/benchmarks so Sony cut their losses

- Game sucked and couldn't be salvaged without untenably expensive revamping

Companies don't invest tens of millions of dollars and then cancel something and restructure an entire studio just because the idea is similar to another big game.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It was most likely a bad game. Cool concept that ultimately didn't work. It's not like they were going to cancel a good or great game.

Ray Down

Banned

Companies don't invest tens of millions of dollars and then cancel something and restructure an entire studio just because the idea is similar to another big game.

It was this if I remember right from insiders. Sony put like 100 million in it, suppose to be ready for holiday 2014 and by early 2014 it still wasn't in a state to show and they decide it's not worth it and canned it.

RalchAC

It was most likely a bad game. Cool concept that ultimately didn't work. It's not like they were going to cancel a good or great game.

Especially when they have already spent millions in development.

Pretty much what Leona Lewis said.

Loris146

It was this if I remember right from insiders. Sony put like 100 million in it, suppose to be ready for holiday 2014 and by early 2014 it still wasn't in a state to show and they decide it's not worth it and canned it.

No way they spent 100 ML on a new ip.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I've read about the $100 million claims, and that's just...unbelievable. Not sure how a talented team such as SSM could flounder this.

KodaRuss

I really want to see them doing something other than God of War. They really need to look at what Naughty Dog did when they started a new IP with similar gameplay and really knocked it out of the park with The Last of Us.

They are a heck of a studio that is too good to only do God of War imo.

Such a bummer this was cancelled. Wasn't it rumored to have Destiny like gameplay? Some stuff must have gone severely wrong during production for it to have been canceled the way it was

'We saw: futuristic; strange planet; strange creatures & dinosaurs. Very interesting, what a pity!'

A little too close to home with GG's Horizon, perhaps?

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, I don't think we're missing out on much, luckily. Hopefully they can regroup just fine with another new idea.

Boke1879

I think based on insider knowledge they kept missing deadlines and milestones and the game kept getting reworked. Sony had sank a ton of money in the project and it still wasn't in a state they were happy with. So Sony just cut their losses on this one.

rhandino

Banned
Just because it sound cool does not mean that the game was going to be great.

Maybe it was just plain bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really want to see them doing something other than God of War. They really need to look at what Naughty Dog did when they started a new IP with similar gameplay and really knocked it out of the park with The Last of Us.

They are a heck of a studio that is too good to only do God of War imo.

I have a feeling Sony won't trust SSM with a new IP again. They'll put all their efforts for new properties in studios like Naughty Dog that gave them The Last of Us, which sold several millions and was a critical smash, and came out just two years after Uncharted 3.

Ein Bear

Yeah, this basically.

Cancelled games always sound cool when you distill them down to a single sentence, which is probably how they got greenlit in the first place. But companies don't dump a load of money into a project and then cancel them for funsies - the game must have had serious issues.

Disappointing. I guess with HZD Sony didn't see the need.

Just because it sound cool does not mean that the game was going to be great.

Maybe it was just plain bad ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I would still rather take that chance than play yet another God of War game.

Servbot24

Banned
Maybe it could have been great.

Obviously it wasn't all that great.

Devs need to do a better job of keeping these things under wraps. Fan get attached to every little rumor about things they've never even seen, and just assume that they're being robbed of brilliance every time a game gets canned.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Disappointing. I guess with HZD Sony didn't see the need.

I would still rather take that chance than play yet another God of War game.

Well, the new God of War game supposedly has a whole different mythological setting. The setting was a big part of the series, and with that changed/revamped, there's a potential for a whole new slew of kickass and fresh ideas in store.

Shiloa

Maybe it actually just transferred studio? Is that a possibility? Started off a SM but for whatever reason GG took over.

Loris146

Pretty sure that was going to he the final budget for the game before it got canceled. They didn't end up spending 100 million because it was killed off.

That said it was rumored Sony lost a lot on it

Maybe it's a projection with marketing included. No way they spent 100 ML only on development.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Obviously it wasn't all that great.

Devs need to do a better job of keeping these things under wraps. Fan get attached to every little rumor about things they've never even seen, and just assume that they're being robbed of brilliance every time a game gets canned.

Well, knowing the studio, it could have been atleast interesting to see play out. They've done wonders with their previous titles. We're not sure of what exactly went down and why the game was canned. We've only heard rumours. Maybe it was cancelled for other reasons. Fans have been aching for a new IP from them for some time now, and it just boggles the mind how a game, three year in development, could be such trash, coming from SSM of all studios.

Ray Down

Banned
Maybe it actually just transferred studio? Is that a possibility? Started off a SM but for whatever reason GG took over.

Nah, Horizon was being worked on before hand and started full production late 2013 after Shadowfall released, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom