• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

ekim

So to compile for OP:

English: SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN
French: SOLEIL OISEAU BOEUF LION SON SOLEIL
Portuguese: SOL PASSARO TOURO LEAO SOL
Spanish: SOL AVE TORO LEON SOL

One of the things that these are all common to is Mithras:

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html

"The Persians saw Mithras as the principal assistant of Ahura Mazda, the god of goodness and light. Mithras battled demons, sorcerers, and other evildoers and helped the souls of worthy humans. In another role, as a god of war, he rode in a golden chariot pulled by four horses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_mysteries

"The iconic scenes of Mithras show him being born from a rock, slaughtering a bull, and sharing a banquet with the god Sol (the Sun). One statue had its base perforated so that it could serve as a fountain and the base of another has the mask of the water god. Sometimes he also has other weapons like bows and arrows and there are also animals like dog, serpent, dolphin, eagle, some other birds, a lion, crocodile, lobster and snail around. On some reliefs, there is a bearded figure identified as Oceanus, the water god, and on some there are the four wind gods. In these reliefs, the four elements could be invoked together. Sometimes Victoria, Luna, Sol and Saturn also seem to play a role. Saturn particularly appears to hand over the dagger to Mithras so that he could perform his mighty deeds."

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-N...#ixzz2NL7Rr8Er

Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras.

And now? I've looked into recent SCEA domain registrations containing Mithras/Mitra... but found nothing.

mclem

I'm not convinced by the Mithras link. That is, everything fits together, so it makes a lot of sense, but it does feel like we skipped a step somewhere; the bird and lion association seems a bit oddly specific, given all the other things in that list *aren't* referenced.

In fact, given the ordering, it sounds like a code; is there anywhere in the game where you can hit a bird, the sun, a lion and a bull in some sort of order? Either frescoes or enemies?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well that didn't take long, lol.

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Mi-Ni/Mithras.html#ixzz2NL7Rr8Er
Some scholars identify Mithras with Mitra, a mythic figure of the Aryan peoples who invaded northern India around the l600s B . C . Mitra, the god of friendship, was associated with the sun and served as one of the judges of the dead. He was supposed to bring worthy people back to life after the universe ended. Some of Mitra's functions lingered in the developing mythology of Mithras.

fit nicely following gow 3 ending

Sounds sweet, good work guys.

Only God knows what is really happening inside Sony first party studios. Some of them have mentioned that they working on new IP's (Stig even confirmed it on an interview before last E3), but we don't really know if plans changed or if Sony put pressure to keep working on a certain franchise (GOW for example).

Who knows if Stig stopped working on whatever he was working and was tasked to make GOW4 for PS4 considering he did an amazing job creating epic spectacles, boss battles and set-pieces with GOW3, and the game is more advanced than we imagined? I know it's a stretch, but still possible.

Imagine an opening more epic and with more scale than GOW3's on the PS4.

out of nowhere, here comes third SSM team. lol

maybe ready at dawn is the one making it? we know they're making ps4 game, do we know if it's new ip or not?

ekim

I'm not convinced by the Mithras link. That is, everything fits together, so it makes a lot of sense, but it does feel like we skipped a step somewhere; the bird and lion association seems a bit oddly specific, given all the other things in that list *aren't* referenced.

In fact, given the ordering, it sounds like a code; is there anywhere in the game where you can hit a bird, the sun, a lion and a bull in some sort of order? Either frescoes or enemies?

Good idea - Someone with the game should take a look

Boss Man

QJFTRF JRQTEU CJTUN FRJH QJH QJFTRF
SOLEIL OISEAU COEUR LION SON SOLEIL

??
I guess that seems a bit more likely.

If the words between SUN - SUN are equivalent across languages, the EEE part of the English code is kind of throwing a wrench in this.

e: nevermind, nice job guys
So to compile for OP:

English: SUN BIRD BULL LION SUN
French: SOLEIL OISEAU BOEUF LION SON SOLEIL
Portuguese: SOL PASSARO TOURO LEAO SOL
Spanish: SOL AVE TORO LEON SOL

We still need to dig deeper. I agree that this is one of the leads though.

Kifimbo

Excellent job, Kijimbo. How'd you figure out that those letters in various languages meant sun?

Well, I speak French. Shagg asked for to find a six-letters French word that is a three-letter Spanish word. SOL/SOLEIL is the only one I could find after 10-15 minutes (I had a Spanish class in school). Then I found a website with a lot of three-letters Spanish words (for Scrabble lol). Using Google Translate, SOL/SOLEIL is the only on that worked.

Endo Punk

Anyone wanna bet that's a Vita title? No way SSM was working on two GOW games. The last time there was a secret code it ended up being GoS. I wondre who will be developing this one since RaD decided not to do another GOW, I'm thinking Sony Bend which means it will be another subtitled games. The franchise just seems more and more like a checklist now.

nofi

Oh man. I know what I'm doing tonight.

M.D

Wait, how will this work in terms of story? Did GOW ever acknowledge the existent of other mythologies?

Wait, how will this work in terms of story? Did GOW ever acknowledge the existent of other mythologies?

It did in alternate endings.

With that said, I do agree that somewhere in the game there may be statues. Maybe statues of particular gods? Sun repeating twice doesn't make sense and it may mean a repetition within the game.

Unless of course they repeated it to help us out with the whole SUN/SOL thing.

SmokyDave

Why would Sun be in there twice? To make it easier to figure out, or because it's some sort of sequence?

Well, I speak French. Shagg asked for to find a six-letters French word that is a three-letter Spanish word. SOL/SOLEIL is the only one I could find after 10-15 minutes (I had a Spanish class in school). Then I found a website with a lot of three-letters Spanish words (for Scrabble lol). Using Google Translate, SOL/SOLEIL is the only on that worked.
Men / Hommes is the one I thought of but then Spanish ruined it!

Dusky

Looked up for some more info on Mithras and found some interesting stuff. Probably has nothing to do with with the next GoW though.

Mithras was born on the 25th of Dec, virgin birth, performed miracles, died and was ressurected 3 days later, etc. Sound familiar?

It's nothing special but I found it interesting.

Of course, this might not be right. There’re other possibilities with regards to fitting the letters in, but there’s a pattern here that at least suggests those invested in cracking the cypher might be onto something. The letters do fit with other languages, too, so this might well be the right path.

...other possibilities? I think it's pretty darn safe to say with 100% certainty that the code we have now is correct.

ghost of sparta had efreet summon and persian army invading for the intro.

now this about mitra

"Mithras—also called Mithra—was a deity from ancient Indo-Iranian* mythology. He became a major figure in the religion known as Zoroastrianism, which originated in ancient Persia*.

crispyben

Sun repeating twice doesn't make sense and it may mean a repetition within the game.

Unless of course they repeated it to help us out with the whole SUN/SOL thing.

Why would Sun be in there twice? To make it easier to figure out, or because it's some sort of sequence?
I guess it was a hint or a lead they left, otherwise this would have been much tougher to crack, though the other languages helped very much in confirming.

Marleyman

Banned
Looked up for some more info on Mithras and found some interesting stuff. Probably has nothing to do with with the next GoW though.

Mithras was born on the 25th of Dec, virgin birth, performed miracles, died and was ressurected 3 days later, etc. Sound familiar?

A bunch of religions are similar in that sense.

Hanmik

it could also be related to this God.. Ashur the National God of Assyria

In the ancient Near East, Ashur was originally the main god of the city of Ashur, the capital of Assyria. As Assyria emerged as a great empire, Ashur became the national god of all of Assyria. The Assyrians saw him primarily as a warrior god and believed that he supported them against their enemies.

By about 1300 B . C ., Ashur was identified with the supreme Sumerian god Enlil, probably in an effort to portray him as king of the gods. Under Assyria's king Sargon, Ashur became the father of Anu, the Babylonian * god of the sky and the main creative force in the universe. Later, as Assyria and Babylon competed for political and military power, Ashur took on the characteristics of the Babylonian national god, Marduk. Because the qualities of so many other gods were transferred to Ashur, he had little or no clear character or traditions of his own. More than anything, he was a symbol of the people and power of Assyria.

Read more: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Ar-Be/Ashur.html#ixzz2NLEgliQl

Babylonia and India, and the vulture, falcon, and mysterious Phoenix in Egypt, were identified with the sun, fire, wind, and lightning. The animals associated with the god Ashur were the bull, the eagle, and the lion. He either absorbed the attributes of other gods, or symbolized the "Self Power" of which the animals were manifestations.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/mba/mba20.htm

babylon makes for a nice setting..

"The cult of Mithras spread into the Mediterranean world, where for a time it rivaled Christianity as the fastest-growing new religion."

Now I'm curious to see if there's any point in this game (or GoW3, even) where there are suns, birds, bulls, and lions. Maybe you can make Kratos hit things to unveil something else.

Or, maybe, there's something in the multiplayer?

FDC1

Is the Arena Mode where you can pick ennemies still there? Are there ennemies related to sun, bird, bull & lion? Worth a try, no?

Seems like if there was a puzzle-like sequence where you could hit various objects like that in the game, people who already played it would remember. And I don't think SUN would indicate any enemy in the game.

Boss Man

it could also be related to this God.. Ashur the National God of Assyria

Babylonia and India, and the vulture, falcon, and mysterious Phoenix in Egypt, were identified with the sun, fire, wind, and lightning. The animals associated with the god Ashur were the bull, the eagle, and the lion. He either absorbed the attributes of other gods, or symbolized the "Self Power" of which the animals were manifestations.

babylon makes for a nice setting..
Ayup, hopefully we're looking at the first hint for a new God of War on PS4.

Would have preferrd a Norse mythos for the God of war series to continue, bit Persia would great as well. Plus there is some overlap with ancient Greek there. Question then becomes does it star kratos or a new hero? I personally would prefer a new hero, but perhaps for the first game there was a split of kratos and the new hero.

Top Bottom