• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Ultimadrago

I love that Turbo Mode doesn't Auto-Advance dialogue (for context present scenes). It allows me to skim through random sweeps of the camera and all of Cold Steel's infamous establishing shots without risking skipped lines.

Levito

Banned
I love that Turbo Mode doesn't Auto-Advance dialogue (for context present scenes). It allows me to skim through random sweeps of the camera and all of Cold Steel's infamous establishing shots without risking skipped lines.

Honestly this is a feature I want in all RPGs going forward(even though it's not likely to become a standard).

The Wart

Oh my fucking god those fucking establishing shots. So goddamn long. Why. Why. Why.

sorathecrow

Neo Member

YES. I made this complaint on the Steam forums too. It's just, man the camera work is so meandering, it has no sense of urgency. It's like they were a little too in love with their own new engine and wanted to show all the new environments off. I bet if you cut out the slow sweeps and pans over nothing across the environment, the game'd be at least a few hours shorter.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
Are the Falcom cutscene directors constantly high out of their minds? OH SHIT MAN THE CAMERA'S MOVING SO FAST GOTTA SLOW IT DOWN

*camera now pans at 1 degree per second*

They did pans like that in TitS too, but they felt more concise.

I haven't played CSII to know if it's any better.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a fan of how structured this game is structured. I get to enjoy hanging around the academy just long enough to want a change of scenery, and when the field days come, I get to soak in a bit more of Erebonian culture. It's been a gentle introduction to this new strange land, and I'm loving it.

I also really like the character profiles section of the notebook. Having a way to keep track of some of the more important NPCs is awesome. And it seems like every named student has their own unique appearance? Not sure if the newness of CS is just blinding me, but it sure feels like the NPCs are better done than the ones in Sky.

Chapter 2 spoilers:
The dynamic between Rufus and Jusis is amazing. And I don't know what to make of that cat yet, but those meows sounded rather... human-like.

rickyson1

um....

is this intended or some sort of weird graphical glitch? because it's honestly sort of horrifying

ROKpDJz.jpg

Mivey

um....

is this intended or some sort of weird graphical glitch? because it's honestly sort of horrifying
Have you never seen anyone trying to suck out your soul through their eyes? It's quite common in office work, from what I have heard.

Wow, what an amazing work from Durante! Also this launcher, just wow!

I could buy so much game with that money but wanted to support Xseed (also always wanted to play the game for sure) and who makes this port a masterpiece!

So much fun ahead! :D

kromeo

Was that a returning character on the balcony in the prologue? I don't know when this is set timeline wise compared to TitS

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Was that a returning character on the balcony in the prologue? I don't know when this is set timeline wise compared to TitS
It's Olivier.
Feel free to highlight the spoiler if you finished Trails in the Sky SC. Returning players are meant to recognize him.

Thud

Ah thank you. I guess whatever they do next will probably be based in Calvard..

That's the idea. There have been small tidbits here and there about Calvard.

You'll find a few in Cold Steel as well. It's gonna be great to see another point of view when the series shifts to Calvard.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
That's the idea. There have been small tidbits here and there about Calvard.

You'll find a few in Cold Steel as well. It's gonna be great to see another point of view when the series shifts to Calvard.
I'd like the Calvard games to delve deep into the shadier side of parliamentary politics: pocket boroughs, lobbying, compromises between personal morality and the party line.

fuzaco

How do you not recognize
Olivier? He was in all 3 TitS games! And even in the same outfit in 3rd.

Squire

Banned
I'd like the Calvard games to delve deep into the shadier side of parliamentary politics: pocket boroughs, lobbying, compromises between personal morality and the party line.

Oh yeah, given some of the stuff Zin mentions in SC, I think it's safe to assume the Calvard games will get into the issues that can arise from partisanship in senate, and democracy in general.

As an American I'm VERY excited lol

Erheller

Excited to see how the [3rd spoiler]
intelligence agency that answers to the president without going through the parliament plays out. It's definitely a thorny issue, and I'd like to see Kilika have to make a choice to stay on or not considering she said she'd quit if she felt that it was being abused.

fuzaco

I only played the first one. I assumed it was him but for all I knew the series are set like 100 years apart lol

But... why? How? When I finished FC, I couldn't wait to jump into SC.
I had to wait like 5 years though.

kromeo

But... why? How? When I finished FC, I couldn't wait to jump into SC.
I had to wait like 5 years though.

I know it's pretty much sacrilege for fans of the game but I really didn't like the two main characters. I'd actually go as far as to say I preferred the Gagharv games with their comedy translations

obeast

So, uh, I'm getting repeatedly crushed by the Chapter 2 2nd floor dungeon boss (the
3 "Cherubic Gates," which mash everyone into oblivion with repeated aoe
. I'm level 13 or so, and playing on hard.

Do I just need to git gud? Is there some trick I'm missing (
I've tried spreading out to avoid lasers, and rushing one of the 3 down with my two super-duper-crafts
)? Or is this a situation where I need to suck it up and grind to get more powerful?

This is my first time through the game, so my various characters may not be particularly well optimized.

Psxphile

So, uh, I'm getting repeatedly crushed by the Chapter 2 2nd floor dungeon boss (the

I've tried spreading out to avoid lasers, and rushing one of the 3 down with my two super-duper-crafts
)? Or is this a situation where I need to suck it up and grind to get more powerful?

This is my first time through the game, so my various characters may not be particularly well optimized.

Might wanna spring for accessories that negate Confusion.

No real trick, but bring Elliot and use his craft to up your defense and apply regen. Other than that, use Rean's Motivate twice (buffs/debuffs can be stacked once) and take 'em out one-by-one. Get used to applying buffs to make difficult fights more bearable.

Neoweee

That's much better than how the Fast Forward worked in the PS3 version. I skipped a ton of dialogue that pops up as a result.

Ascheroth

Also see if you can get a Critical turn and fire an S-Craft or 2 to take out at least one of them, makes things more manageable.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Oh yeah, given some of the stuff Zin mentions in SC, I think it's safe to assume the Calvard games will get into the issues that can arise from partisanship in senate, and democracy in general.

As an American I'm VERY excited lol
Excited to see how the [3rd spoiler]
intelligence agency that answers to the president without going through the parliament plays out. It's definitely a thorny issue, and I'd like to see Kilika have to make a choice to stay on or not considering she said she'd quit if she felt that it was being abused.
Yeah, the 3rd seems to set up
a conflict between the executive and the legislature in Calvard, which is why I want the parliament to have its own share of shadiness. If that's where the story is going, I think it will work better if Rocksmith's descent into tyranny begins with desire to overcome actual issues with corruption and red tape, rather than general love for power.

1. Spread out as much as possible while remaining within the radius of Elliot's Resounding Beat. Something along the lines of this, but move the party member in the back (Fie in this image) a bit to the side, so that a line connecting them to the central Gate wouldn't go through the party member in the front (Rean in this image).
2. Buffs can be stacked. Casting a buff on a character already under its effect (indicated by a yellow arrow up near the character's portrait) magnifies its power (indicated by a red arrow up) and refreshes the duration. Keep the double DEF buff going at all times, as the laser beams are physical in nature (the Gates have 0 ATS).
3. Earth Arts are your best source of damage in this fight. ATS can be buffed with the Fortuna Art, granted by Alisa's Angel Master Quartz.
4. If the Gates are too far away from each other to be hit with AoE Earth Arts, stick to the basic single target one. It's vastly more EP-efficient, and slightly lower damage is compensated by quicker casting and recovery times.
5. The EP maximum depends on the number of orbment slots a character has opened, not on their level. Keep this in mind if you run out of EP before the fight is over.
6. Laura's and Rean's S-Crafts are best saved for turns with the Critical effect (indicated by a yellow exclamation mark).

Squire

Banned

Don't worry, it's my second time playing and this actually gave me trouble, too. I was doing great, but got wrecked in a few turns and then needed 2-3 tries to get it right. (This was pretty late at night, I was mad lol)

Anyway, what you wanna do is delay as often as possible. Use Reans AOE and Line crafts, use Jusis Rapid Thrust craft, and I put a delay quartz on Fie so she could get in on the action, too. She's really fast, so that helps.

Focus on one you want to take out, but if you see one of the other two has a turn coming up, hit it to delay its turn, then go back to focusing on the one you started with.

You can equip accessories to negate the negative status effects, but I think I'd would've had a much easier time myself if I had briught Emma a long. I have a quartz on her that gives her Recuria (large AOE art that heals ALL status ailments except KO) and because I was focusing everyone on one enemy at a time, they tended to be clustered together.

Oh, and bring Laura! Her Armor Break will proc an unbalance almost every time on these guys and obviously that lowered defense will help speed things up. Link to either Jusis or Rean, whichever hits harder for you.

If you get a Zero Arts with Fie just use Chrono Drive.

Hope this helps!

obeast

Thanks for the replies, all - I'll give it another shot tonight. I hadn't realized you could stack the same buff twice - that sounds quite helpful.

Durante

The second patch is taking a bit longer than expected, since I really want to get this feature in:

Thought of the day: the problem with doing things professionally is that you have to do them professionally.
Implementing the autosave feature took a few hours - making it configurable, making a UI for it, making that UI look nice and be convenient to use, making the graphics for the UI, and testing all of that took 2 more days.

Loz246789

Auto saves will be great to have!

I haven't had much time to play recently, but I'm enjoying taking the game slowly now that I'm not rushing through the plot like my first playthrough. So much world building that I just didn't notice before, it's great.
Also, I broke down and got the dlc costumes. Whoops. (In my defense, steam trading card money. Also the alternate costumes are legitimately pretty good.)

Ascheroth

Doing god's work I see
Doing Aidios' work, you mean.

Btw Durante, there's one (minor) graphical glitch I've come across:
During chapter 3, when riding on the horse, dismounting and fighting an enemy, the horse is occasionally invisible after the battle. It's still shown on the minimap and you can interact and mount it (if you find it), and after that everything's normal again.

Also, thank Aidios for turbo mode. Those chapter 3 maps are ginormous.

The Wart

The second patch is taking a bit longer than expected, since I really want to get this feature in:

Thought of the day: the problem with doing things professionally is that you have to do them professionally.
Implementing the autosave feature took a few hours - making it configurable, making a UI for it, making that UI look nice and be convenient to use, making the graphics for the UI, and testing all of that took 2 more days.

Holy fuck.

Top Bottom