• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, it's even better than expected. 2GB optimistic goal seems that much closer now.

@ StreetsAhead: Yup, it has 40MB up on it. I'm wondering if in theory it's possible to put out some awesome GCN+ stuff on it with consideration of its dual core CPU nearing 300MHz and that amount of RAM.

Where are you getting that 40MB number from? I've never heard it, which is surprising considering how much time I spend reading this thread. haha

Where are you getting that 40MB number from? I've never heard it, which is surprising considering how much time I spend reading this thread. haha

If it's 128MB vs 91MB then it's technically 37MB the 3DS has over the Wii.

And curse you IdeaMan! (But seriously, most of the tech stuff, while interesting, means nothing to me).

Keep in mind ideaman was implying that it COULD ship with 2gb, which makes 1.5 seem like a definite, at the least. Which is still amazing compared to this gen.

Azure J

Oh I'm talking about 3DS RAM vs. Wii RAM. Wii has something like 88MB total, right? (64GDDR3, 24MB 1T-SRAM) I just did 128MB-88MB. :p

Edit: You guys are playing so cautiously with the 1.5GB and not getting jumpy for the possibility of 2GB. That said, I'm with you guys. XD

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I agree. I'm sticking with 1.5GB till the final shows otherwise.
I mean, it's not impossible but it's not certain either. 1.5 GB for the retail unit is far more reasonable from what has been suggested (of course, a late bump is still possible but shouldn't be expected).

1.5 or 2 would be incredible. Nintendo's developers would have been given a huge leap, both over the Wii and the PS3/360, to contend with in either case.

How will we even know? Nintendo doesn't usually release their specs, right?

Someone will either leak them, or someone will tear down the console.

I mean, it's not impossible but it's not certain either. 1.5 GB for the retail unit is far more reasonable from what has been suggested (of course, a late bump is still possible but shouldn't be expected).

You're right that it's not impossible. But I'd have to see for myself that it would have 2GB.

shnord

Neo Member
He was asking about running two GC games at the same time. While that should technically be possible going by the specs we have, I doubt they would bother trying to get it to work since so few would use it. Same thing goes for running any two VC games at the same time; I would be pretty surprised.
Yeah, sorry, I meant two GameCube games or two Wii games since Wii games are practically the same, but I guess that's irrelevant considering there's only one disc drive for Wii games lol. I suppose a GameCube game and a Wii game could work though. Anyway, I was just reaffirming your point by adding some extra details as to why there aren't necessarily technical limitations preventing it. Though as I mentioned, 3 cores might not be enough if 2 are needed for each game, but this depends on how BC is actually handled. I agree that it probably won't be pursued even if possible.

Wait, seriously? :D

That's exceptionally good news imo. The closer we get to good free MSAA @ 1080p, the better. Of course, that's if this is all true.
Grain(s) of salt definitely a must. I don't even remember who originally brought it up.

Bit-Bit

Damn, it would be awesome if the RAM is sitting at either 1.5GB or 2GB. That would mean developers are gonna have a ton of room to play with.

It's nice to have some positive rumours in this thread for a change!

Only thing, I just try and not getting carried away neither from positive nor negative rumours, so I'll take only as a speculation for the sake of it, not to be disappointed whether WiiU should turn out to be worse than we expect it.

methodman

Banned
Damn, it would be awesome if the RAM is sitting at either 1.5GB or 2GB. That would mean developers are gonna have a ton of room to play with.

I'm working on my surprised face in front of a mirror to perfect it when E3 hits and we finally see some Nintendo games running on this thing, lol

Did IdeaMan ever get confirmed by a mod?

I'm working on my surprised face in front of a mirror to perfect it when E3 hits and we finally see some Nintendo games running on this thing, lol

This. If Nintendo puts the right amount of work in, seeing their franchises in HD with modern hardware light-years ahead of the Wii's tech will be impressive.
There is a reason the Dolphin thread is one of the most viewed on neoGAF.

Gh47e.png
Here's a template.

adroit

He was asking about running two GC games at the same time.
Oh, geez. I didn't read his example games carefully enough. I assumed the original poster was asking about running two full-blown, pedal-to-the-metal Wii U games at the same time. DUH. Sorry about that, original poster.

THE:MILKMAN

Seems pretty obvious that IdeaMan is telling us that 2GB is the current target.

Before his edit, he mentioned the 4/5 times 360 "thing". And 2GB would be 4X 360's ram...

Exciting times if it plays out.

Wii only has 88 mb! 2000 mb could do some outta sight dancin'

Imagine how amazing the Wii U-ware games that only render the subscreen will be. They'll have some real power to play with.

AzaK

So...
8GB confirmed?
Crytek vindicated?!
If so, he wouldn't be alive to post anymore, he would have imploded.

I think 2gb would be QUITE surprising....so I'll assume that's what you mean, and if so that would be amazing.
Me too (see my other reply below)

I must sleep now, have fun fellow gafers :)

Hint-Fatality: the amount of ram that i've heard has been guessed :p
Hmm so it's 1, 1.5, 2, 3 or 8.

I agree. I'm sticking with 1.5GB till the final shows otherwise.

Well, based on ...
My guesstimates were in the 1GB, maybe a bit more, range. And it's more than that, for the moment.
I'm thinking over 1.5. If you're going to guess a bit more than 1GB, would you guess 1.25? 1.3? I'd think the natural guess would be 1.5, and if it's more than that, I would suggest 2. Either way, 1.5 or 2 is more than what I was assuming was happening (1)

8GB confirmed!
Keep shouting it dude, it will happen eventually!!

Did IdeaMan ever get confirmed by a mod?

Considering he said he's a former journalist, there's not much to confirm. It'd be like having someone like wsippel, shockingalberto or me being confirmed. I say just listen to what he provides and put it to the test compared to what we know.

Beaten twice.

Well, based on ...

I'm thinking over 1.5. If you're going to guess a bit more than 1GB, would you guess 1.25? 1.3? I'd think the natural guess would be 1.5, and if it's more than that, I would suggest 2. Either way, 1.5 or 2 is more than what I was assuming was happening (1)

Oh it's like I said, I need to see it end up with 2GB to believe it will be that. I mean if that's what he's indicating, even he didn't say it was guaranteed.

Vinci

Danish
I'm not putting stock into anything said by anyone about this system until E3. At which point I can see what Nintendo and others are doing with the system and go from there.

Roo

I must sleep now, have fun fellow gafers :)

Hint-Fatality: the amount of ram that i've heard has been guessed :p

Oh man, you're causing blue balls!!!!
If it's indeed 2GB I'm going to be the happiest man in the world
and I will get any indication of weakness from Nintendo out of my mind
but I would be totally fine if it's only 1.5

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I know, I know and fair point. I was just wondering if he'd confirmed he was what he said he was, which might lend more credence to what he's saying (
before I get excited
).
He actually hasn't said much, but what he said seems to match quite well what other sources said. Also...

I say just listen to what he provides and put it to the test compared to what we know.
Pretty much this.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get how some of you people from the industry can talk about the devkits or leave hints of it. Isn't that breaking NDA? I'm just a QA Tester and I can't talk about the games I work on, or any other thing I know from inside.

Heck, I thought I'd be in trouble when I first mentioned PSN was back up for devs back at the hack.

klier

Will Wii U be powerful enough to play Mario Galaxy and Zelda SS on two uPad screens at the same time?

Oh and BTW, 2 GB RAM would be so damn great!!!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Will Wii U be powerful enough to play Mario Galaxy and Zelda SS on two uPad screens at the same time?

Oh and BTW, 2 GB RAM would be so damn great!!!

Getting both games in some HD remix with maybe some extra content would be great.

2GB is my guess as well.

What do you think the Wii would've been capable of had it had say 128MB of RAM as opposed to 88MB for instance?

Edit: PS3 and 360 were at 512MB right? 2GB sure is a huge jump IMO, RAM is very important for squeezing out the power of the system right? Or to use what it has more efficiently withgout framerates dipping and what not?

I don't get how some of you people from the industry can talk about the devkits or leave hints of it. Isn't that breaking NDA? I'm just a QA Tester and I can't talk about the games I work on, or any other thing I know from inside.

Heck, I thought I'd be in trouble when I first mentioned PSN was back up for devs back at the hack.

They aren't a part of any company, and they can report on anything that they "overhear" without consequences.

2GB for software, + 1GB for system OS?

A GIG for OS would be completely pointless.

The way I look at it, once you eliminate the option (hope) of GDDR5, 1.5 GB seems less likely than 2 even. GDDR5 would be a difference of 6 and 8 chips as opposed to what, at least half that for GDDR3? And nothing we've seen has suggested they're using GDDR5 except for the stock 256 bit bus on the RV770LE, which can be explained if they were adding extra RAM to it for debug purposes, as we know they were.

So we get nice fat caches on either end buffering a large but relatively slow pool of GDDR3? Seems like a Nintendo choice. And it will probably end up holding up pretty well after careful optimization. The 32mb of eDRAM and 3 MB L2 caches from IBM could really end up being the defining features of the hardware.

jay

I'm not putting stock into anything said by anyone about this system until E3. At which point I can see what Nintendo and others are doing with the system and go from there.

That's too bad because I could give you quite a lot of insider info on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom