• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

Tailzo

Mr. Pointy said:
Well, it can't be worse than Sonic Battle. Or Sonic X360, although knowing Bioware it'll be just as buggy.

(...)

SONIC 360 was bad, but Sonic battle? I thought it was fun, but I don't remember the reviews. I'll check it out.

edit:
IGN gave it 8.0
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/462/462741p1.html

Gamespot gave 7.7
http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/sonicbattle/review.html

Though it seems some like it, while others don't.

It's amazing how people forget the good Sonic games.

Rocksteady33

Dragona Akehi said:
My sentiments as well. I mean Sonic? You could argue that a number of other SEGA franchises would meld more with Bioware: Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force or Phantasy Star would make much more sense.

Yes they would, but do Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force or Phantasy Star sell? The most recent Xbox and GBA titles tell you they don't.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

I hereby proclaim this "Sonic and his Awesome Friends Awesome Bioware RPG for DS" day.

There, you can't argue with mayor Quimby.

Kafel

Banned
Do we know the role of Sega in the development ?

If they only care that Sonic won't do something "stupid" then it's ok with me. Let the full powers to Bioware !

Amir0x

Banned
Duderz said:
QFT. I'm interested because of Bioware, but Sonic? Really?

And this sure isn't megaton by any means. Sega contracts a developer to do a Sonic RPG? :/

Well it was a megaton in who was working on it.

I mean Bioware is Bioware. That's like, the best possible choice SEGA could have gone with if they actually wanted to make a seriously good Sonic RPG. I mean if it was anyone else I would have laughed and rejected the concept automatically, but the pedigree basically demands I sit up and pay attention.

castle007

Banned
how did I miss this thread yesterday??

Anyways, this game definitely came out of nowhere. But I hope that it turns out to be good

funkmasterb said:
It's not a team of noobs and you're a complete dumbass. Handheld projects are the new black for dev team members.

:lol

This is definitely how Rare runs their handheld divison. They use it to get valuable experience for their new members so that they can replace people who leave/get promoted on the bigger teams. This is not something you should feel insulted by.

Sonic the Hedgehog was once a great and well-respected franchise.

In the hands of great developers, the Sonic franchise produced...and still can produce...great games.

People tend to forget that. 10 years of (mostly)crap will do that.

Cruceh said:
1182102281324.jpg

I'm not really a fan of Bioware after playing Jade Empire, but I'm curious how this will turn out. Hope it's not horrible DS 3d, at least.

All you guys keep saying you're not fans of BioWare after playing Jade Empire. JE, while still a quality game, is probably the worst game they've ever released. You're definitely preventing yourself from experiencing some great games by assuming Bioware puts out bad games.

Fight for Freeform said:
To be clear I didn't make them, these gems were originally posted by Scullibundo and I'm not sure where he got them from. I can't take credit for the genius behind them, but I fully support the endeavor of bringing back Sonic physics.

I'd like to also announce that after a bloody coupe d'etat, I have installed myself as undisputed leader of the Sonic Defense Force.

A friend of mine who we will call Deef created all the Sonic physics pics (that's right, there are MORE) years ago when we had a big rant/discussion about Sonic Adventure 2 on another forum. I've kept them all this time because they are useful in proving points of what makes a Sonic game.

As for this Sonic RPG? What's one more non-Sonic game? The franchise had been dead for a long time.

jarrod

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
:lol

This is definitely how Rare runs their handheld divison. They use it to get valuable experience for their new members so that they can replace people who leave/get promoted on the bigger teams. This is not something you should feel insulted by.
Uh, not really... the core handheld team's staff has been there since the SNES days, they're not at all a talent breeding ground.

Sounds interesting. I'm expecting this to pan in similar style to Mario RPG, where there was a mix of pre-existing characters, as well as plenty of BioWare created stuff.

I hope we can see more stuff from BioWare for the Wii and DS in the future.

I'm a little disappointed in this. I was really hoping for an original game.

Then again, Bioware did work on a Star Wars RPG... and it turned out great. So how much worse could Sonic possibly be?

Shiggy

Isn't the president of that studio, which made Nintendo Pennant Chase League, head of the Bioware handheld team?

Wait a sec, didn't Sega say a couple of months ago (just after SatSR got launched) that they wanted to leave Sonic alone for a while?

Oh wait, it's Sega. Never mind.

Did anyone answer it yet? What exactly compelled Bioware to partner with Sega. What did Sega do that they got graced upon by Bioware? The DS choice is a no brainer. They obviously haven't lost thier way and still want money. But Sega, really?

Why should they answer it? The game has no media or any info yet so an interview would be pointless and it's not a decision needing of an explanation. I mean people react like if Bioware was torn apart or something.

PleoMax

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
All you guys keep saying you're not fans of BioWare after playing Jade Empire. JE, while still a quality game, is probably the worst game they've ever released. You're definitely preventing yourself from experiencing some great games by assuming Bioware puts out bad games.

Uh...it's more like, they want to dismiss Bioware, and probably never played Jade Empire, but since some people talked bad about it, they have free pass to hate.

JAde Empire is a Good game. Yet here, some people make it seem like it's the biggest piece of shit ever and an excuse to not care about what Bioware Brings next...

It's just all a bunch of bullshit.

Tobor

Mr. Pointy said:
Wait a sec, didn't Sega say a couple of months ago (just after SatSR got launched) that they wanted to leave Sonic alone for a while?

Oh wait, it's Sega. Never mind.

So Sega should have said no to freaking Bioware? Get real.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The only thing that may really be of any importance may not be anything at all,

Another obvious difference with a handheld device like the DS are the different system features such as the dual screen, touch-screen and WiFi capabilities. This type of functionality allows us to innovate in very different ways as compared to a home console and I'd argue that the DS is a near-perfect system to launch a new roleplaying game franchise on!

No confirmation whatsoever but just that he chose to mention that over the microphone or any of the other features may be foreshadowing.

TreIII

Gattsu25 said:
Also, N'Gai's theory sounds spot on to me

And what's so ground breaking about what he said? It's pretty much obvious from the get-go that this whole arrangement is just a grand symbiosis that stands to benefit everyone involved. BioWare gets their foot in the door of the lucrative DS marker, Sega makes money without the effort of actually doing any serious work and the gamers stand to possibly get the highest quality Sonic game in quite some time. Everybody wins. :lol

Whether you contest BioWare's sincerity when it comes to Sega/Sonic fanboyism or not, it's plain to see that this is a business operation, first and foremost. But nobody said that they couldn't be enjoying themselves all the while...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Father_Brain said:
IGN interview with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk. I'd start a new thread if they had actually revealed anything about the game.
Greg Zeschuk: BioWare's handheld team is focused on the Sonic title - we're focused on making a great experience in our first DS adventure. We're definitely planning to announce new titles for DS in the future but our immediate focus is to make sure we deliver a great game in partnership with our publisher SEGA!
Awesome, looking forward to all their games. :D

ethelred

Pretty bland, vapid interview, but at least it's nice to know that they've got a few more games planned for the DS beyond Sonic RPG. I mean, Sonic RPG will likely be awesome, but at the same time it'll be good to see some other stuff from these guys, too.

ethelred said:
Pretty bland, vapid interview, but at least it's nice to know that they've got a few more games planned for the DS beyond Sonic RPG. I mean, Sonic RPG will likely be awesome, but at the same time it'll be good to see some other stuff from these guys, too.

I really wouldn't mind a new IP. :)

Top Bottom