• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Advertising at Wii U Best Buy Events

DaBoss

Wacky marketing, but i'm sure if Sony did something similar, in this moment in time, we wouldn't be just as critical.

I guess it's kind of natural to pile on Microsoft at the moment.

I would still find it hilarious. It is pathetic regardless of who does it.

SPDIF

I think they thought that the guy was talking about the 360, afaik there actually is no power button.

We'll have to wait and see I guess, but this was the person they were replying to. They were definitely asking about the X1.

Carlton Banks ‏@nussplistulle 3h
@XboxSupport2 a friend of mine is mute. does that mean he can never start the xbone?

kurbaan

Banned
Usually best buy has tons if reps from different companies trying to get you to use their shit. Last time I was at best buy, I was just walking buy the Beats headphones and this guy from Bose started telling me how they were a rip off and to buy the cheaper Bose ones.

prolly same thing here not drones sent to specifically target this Wii u thing.

lt519

I didn't see anyone from Microsoft. But when I walked in they had signs and booths for people to pre-order the PS4 or XBone. I had to search the store for the Nintendo display where there were about 40 people waiting in line. They were overwhelmed and started turning people away around 5:15.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow you know Microsoft is feeling the sting when they are feeling threatened by the bloody WiiU.

TunaLover

Seems petty, it's something you could expect from a little merchant, screaming in public he has better fruit, not a big corporation like MS.

lmfao that is awesome and hilarious

reminds me of when i bought my wii on launch day in 2006, this one person in lined waited just to buy a 360 and tell others to join him.

he didn't work for microsoft like that guy in the op's pic but i guess some people take gaming too seriously

but the huge turn out is really making me smh at nintendo/best buy, why have just one station. mario kart is that huge and will attract people. and why only two days :( i have to wait til saturday now.

Alebrije

I hate that kind of sale strategies , when I go to get a new Tv and see those Sony / Samsung guys try to avoid them as possible. If I were watching a WiiU game video and someone from MS/Sony comes to talk their crap I surely will call the store manager.

Ghazi

We'll have to wait and see I guess, but this was the person they were replying to. They were definitely asking about the X1.

Carlton Banks ‏@nussplistulle 3h
@XboxSupport2 a friend of mine is mute. does that mean he can never start the xbone?

Yeah, I asked them and they clarified that they were referring to the One

Akey

Banned
Why are so many people in this thread think people interested in Nintendo would not be interested in Xbox? They like quality games? I don't understand these comments its like you think its rare for someone to own both.

Id find something like this so violating of my personal space. I cant envision one scenario where i wouldnt come off as rude. Ive come to play a WiiU game and you try and talk to me about a X1? fuck off man.

MisterHero

Depending on how many participating Best Buys generated a crowd, it could've been a massive turnout. Pretty good for a handful of unannounced games. A different approach to E3 produced different but good results. :)

lol microsoft

Einbroch

Banned
I'm laughing at people thinking this is 100% true. This totally seems like something /v/ would do. There's only a handful of these events. Some trolls may have thought it would be funny to dress up like a Microsoft employee and drag their name through the mud, knowing /v/ would pick it up and it would spread.

It may be true, but this stinks of an elaborate troll.

sambox

Banned
Microsoft and Best Buy team up to create a 'Windows Store' inside 600 retail locations!!

Microsoft is announcing on Thursday that it plans to open special Windows Stores within Best Buy locations. The partnership will see 500 Best Buy locations in the US and 100 Best Buy and Future Shop retail stores in Canada launch a store-within-a-store. Microsoft is aiming to showcase Windows-based tablets, Windows Phones, Office, and Xbox at the locations in the same way that Apple and Samsung do today.

The announcement comes just hours after Microsoft started airing a new "Windows Everywhere" commercial that aims to show the company's products working together. Microsoft is helping to train more than 1,200 Best Buy sales associates to ensure they're up to speed with the Windows world. Microsoft's approach to partner with Best Buy appears to be part of the company's retail expansion plans. Microsoft has a number of stores across the US, but not in all major cities.

Why are so many people in this thread think people interested in Nintendo would not be interested in Xbox? They like quality games? I don't understand these comments its like you think its rare for someone to own both.

To me it would be rare to have both. Because Xbone wont launch in my country yet...

Please understand.

jblank83

I'm laughing at people thinking this is 100% true. This totally seems like something /v/ would do. There's only a handful of these events. Some trolls may have thought it would be funny to dress up like a Microsoft employee and drag their name through the mud, knowing /v/ would pick it up and it would spread.

Occam's Razor, because this is even more farfetched (FARFETCH).

I mean, it's not unpossible (UNPOSSIBLE) but it's much more unlikely.

Alebrije

I hate that kind of sale strategies , when I go to get a new Tv and see those Sony , Samsung guys try to avoid them as possible. If I were watching a WiiU game video and someone from MS/Sony comes to talk their crap I surely will call the store manager.

Pineconn

I didn't see any competition at my Best Buy. I'm going back Saturday and I'll be sure to look out for them.

There WAS, however, a lot of Xbone bashing in the line. Most people were positive about PS4.

jaz013

Banned
First they money-hat games out of the console, the only thing left is to money-hat costumers into not buying the console. Gotta keep face after "being pounded" by an "inferior" console last gen, don't they?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious if true! Or sad. I don't know.

Korezo

I'm a go to NYC best buy on Friday, and if a Microsoft rep is there trying to talk xbox1 by the wii u line I'm a talk so much trash.

p7GDtPp.jpg
"No ONE Allowed"

God I hate Microsoft for next generation.

Wii U isn't even competing for mind share at this point because Nintendo has made a bajillion mistakes. Why would you waste resources on this?

spekkeh

Banned
Makes sense I guess. People interested in a console that has no games would also be interested in a console where you can't have any.

Cipherr

Not surprising. Didn't they have a boat with the 360 logo on it at a EU PS3 launch?

9vyb8On.jpg

A few guys in collared shirts throwing salt at Nintendo in Best Buys seems tame in comparison.

spekkeh

Banned
You guys are all interpreting this as an advertisement stunt. Personally I think these Microsoft peeps are just genuinely trying to understand why more people are excited about a console that does a meagre 50k a month than their own Xbone.

From /v/ aswell but...

Does anyone know if this twitter account is real? https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2

They're saying there is no power button

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/status/345166492754657281

This twitter account is fascinating. I could read this for hours. Just hearing someone have to clarify all the hoops people have to jump through to get a game system to work.

It's just really interesting.

"I'm buying a PS4!"
XBox Twitter: We understand there's a lot of misconceptions out there.

"Can I duct tape my Kinect camera?"
X Box Twitter: There is a power button on the console and the Kinect sensor can be turned off.

You guys are all interpreting this as an advertisement stunt. Personally I think these Microsoft peeps are just genuinely trying to understand why more people are excited about a console that does a meagre 50k a month than their own Xbone.

Basically. Guy in microsoft shirt with his hands in his pockets doesn't really look like a deliberate campaign.

Curious to see what the result of all this Wii U interest will be.

TheOGB

Banned

Seriously? Company people are in Best Buys all the time. My sister works there and met two people from Sony last week (they told her to watch E3 for the console reveal :p).

Not everything from 4chan has to be a troll.

Calamari41

41 > 38

All they have to do is walk to the head of the line and see that people are playing Mario Kart. "Oh, ok. I get it now."

Don't shoot the messengers guys. They are hired to do a job, and often for not very much. Blame the parent corporations, not the lowly employees trying to make a living

I don't think anyone is "blaming" them. But being the messenger sent to talk up their shitbox at an event where well-informed people waited a long time in line for makes them an easy punching bag. I think MS as a whole is the real (hilarious) target though.

Shahadan

So it proves two things.
1) people are actually interested in the wii u and are waiting for a price cut
2) MS and/or MS fans are desperate

Two good things I guess.

Top Bottom