• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

BadWolf

A retrospective at Itsuno's first and only attempt on the racing genre with Auto Modellista. I think they tried to bring a lot of different things with it, but the audience wasn't really interested on a cartoony light-feathered arcade racer in an era where GT and NFS dominated. Capcom's last racing game to date.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-beautiful-letdown-of-auto-modellista.356942/

The game still looks fantastic if you play it on emu.

Too bad the driving feels all funky.

It will always amaze me how well Devil May Cry 3 and 4's cutscenes hold up production wise. And of course, going back through them is a blast. DMC 3's story is simple, yet effective; Uncle Dante trolling the fuck out of everyone is always a good time; and even though Nero's story is a bit too melodramatic for my liking in a DMC game, it's well choreographed, well shot, and Nero is still pretty likeable (especially considering what we got in DmC and Vergil's Downfall). Really gets me hyped again for seeing what they have in store for DMC 5.

Sesha

Happy 2 year anniversary DMC4SE. Time Fly Guards.

Speaking of Musou, I wonder when Capcom will fart out the next Sengoku Basara game.

They never said that they'll be abandoning 1vs100 element of the game (they said the opposite actually). I think with Dynasty Warriors 9, the thing that matters is the way you execute attacks and combos. Hopefully the changes that they've made will make that part feel better and have more depth.

Dahbomb

MBS

Banned
I've already double dipped on DMC4 back in the day, having bought both versions for 360 and PS3 respectively so i never bothered to pay for a third, almost full-buck SE release just for some extra cutscenes, skins and the other playable guys. I might do so if there's another 80% sale or if they give it as PS Plus freebie. I though admit that the JP audio track is intriguing, i hope that DMC5 will have dual audio like many recent jp games like FFXV, P5 and Nier.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Happy 2ND anniversary, 4SE.

I've already double dipped on DMC4 back in the day, having bought both versions for 360 and PS3 respectively so i never bothered to pay for a third, almost full-buck SE release just for some extra cutscenes, skins and the other playable guys. I might do so if there's another 80% sale or if they give it as PS Plus freebie. I though admit that the JP audio track is intriguing, i hope that DMC5 will have dual audio like many recent jp games like FFXV, P5 and Nier.

DMC4SE was a bargain budget release at $25. I think it's a no brainer given how a single character can lead to tens to hundreds of hours of play alone.

Admittedly my perspective might be a bit warped since I've probably purchased over 40 copies of DMC4 in various forms over the years.

Dahbomb

The DMC5 trailer better be in god damn English. I don't care about husbando Japanese VA Dante talking or waifu high pitched Lady... gimme dat Rueben.

MBS

Banned
Price is 25€ on the EU PSN, still too high after two years. The Demon Hunter bundle with all unlockables costs 36€. As i said i'll probably wait for another bargain sale or so, i'd happily take DMC4 over almost half of the current "action" -insert storytelling clones- releases out there.

Dahbomb

They'd do both, just like with 4SE. Count on it.

English always took priority for DMC anyway.
Well I am talking about the first even DMC5 trailer.. it's either going to be in English or Japanese.

If it's at PSX then for sure it's going to be in English but if somehow Capcom wants to rush it out TGS it might be in Japanese.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well I am talking about the first even DMC5 trailer.. it's either going to be in English or Japanese.

If it's at PSX then for sure it's going to be in English but if somehow Capcom wants to rush it out TGS it might be in Japanese.

Gotcha. As for what they play on the big stage, I'd think English would still take precedence just based on series history, but I guess it could be a venue decision.

Regardless we'll get both a Japanese and English announcement trailer on Youtube that day.

Pull shit off like this in DMC 4:

3A7A91785F29E32F49BDD213B0DCF0ECDFDB9FB5

Is like... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM so good!

Remember how hyped we all were for E3 2015 because surely Capcom had to have an announcement for the franchise with two remasters?

And then they ignored the 15th anniversary. And now we're 3 E3s later with no announcement.

BadWolf

Remember how hyped we all were for E3 2015 because surely Capcom had to have an announcement for the franchise with two remasters?

And then they ignored the 15th anniversary.

I can't wait to see what Itsuno and co have come up for DMC5 and will be there day 1 but there is no denying that the way Capcom has handled this series is anything short of fucked up.

Dahbomb

I just hope there is no DMC4 level of re-purposing the game because of new HD generation and having to port to a new console. I hope that every ounce of time and hard work that went into the game has been utilized well unlike DMC4 where they had to scrap stuff because of the awkward transition.

Itsuno's tweet of "smooth development" is the biggest sigh of relief. That tells me that they have a vision for the game and they are going through it as best as they can.

It's probably me reading too much into PR lip service talk but I will suspend my disbelief this one time.

Remember guys... the night is darkest just before the dawn.

Just imagine all this wait is because Devil May Cry 5 is being developed on...Panta Rei :eek: One can dream of course

You mean the piece of shit engine that made it so Deep Down has been MIA for over four years and has basically screwed Capcom this entire generation by not being finished?

MBS

Banned
My bet is on the updated MT Framework version that MHW uses. That engine might not the best for open sandbox environments, but it works wonders on closed levels and 60fps. DMC4SE looks like as it was released yesterday at certain scenes, and almost better and more polished than modern releases like Nier Automata on others.

Seyavesh

My bet is on the updated MT Framework version that MHW uses. That engine might not the best for open sandbox environments, but it works wonders on closed levels and 60fps. DMC4SE looks like as it was released yesterday at certain scenes, and almost better and more polished than modern releases like Nier Automata on others.

this would fit with that random ass rumor about it as well, but man i really hope it has that graphical quality bc boy howdy does mvci make me worry

I doubt DMC5 will be a closed levels kind of game anymore. With current gen games shifting towards open world design, at the very least I expect DMC5 to have like a hub world and its levels to be more interconnected.

jett

D-Member
I doubt DMC5 will be a closed levels kind of game anymore. With current gen games shifting towards open world design, at the very least I expect DMC5 to have like a hub world and its levels to be more interconnected.

Yeah I'll be surprised if Itsuno returns to DMC4's structure, after he developed an open world game. If a DMC game is to survive today, it needs to change. And Capcom better have low-ish sales expectations too, for once. :p Besides, Nier has shown that a stylish action game can work in an open world environment.

DMC4's "story campaign" was shit, so I definitely don't want that anyway.

Endo Punk

With more open setting can't imagine it hitting 1080x60 on your standard consoles where most will be playing it on. I can see 900x60 on PS4 and around 720-800x60 on XB1. As long as frame rate is rock solid I don't care about the resolution.

When it comes to performance, I think it depends on how visually detailed the game is, how dense is the world (are there lots of NPC and such) and what engine they are using. But yeah, as long as they manage to hit solid 60fps on base PS4, I don't care about what effects that version might be missing. Yakuza 0 and Nioh managed to do that, so hopefully Itsuno will find a way to do it as well.

And yeah, I don't think anyone will miss DMC4's structure. Especially if they replace it with a sandbox like environment like Bloodborne or Nier. Though, I'm a bit nervous that they might do something radically different that may not sit well with DMC fans. Like, can you imagine if we get a GoW like over the shoulder camera in DMC5? Man...

Seyavesh

What random ass rumor? Wasn't that an April Fool's joke?

was it? the one from uh, i think it was like last year's gamescom or something? i think the post got deleted once it didn't get announced, but that updated MT framework thing is just an eyebrow raiser since at that point nobody really expected 'em to be using that engine for any modern game again

also i'll be the weirdo who misses DMC1-4 structure- i fucking love the arcade style setup of progression and having every fight be it's own unique thing to some degree, even if it's basically just a filler fight (like the stairwell stuff in Drive! for dmc3- you can just run past but boy howdy that environment makes for some sick as hell wallrun combos)

diabl0

You mean the piece of shit engine that made it so Deep Down has been MIA for over four years and has basically screwed Capcom this entire generation by not being finished?

I said just imagine :p I know Panta Rei is a peace of shit of an engine, but theres no denying its a graphical powerhouse and Devil May Cry would look damn hot.

Sesha

Since we're all just spinning wheels waiting for TGS, PSX and Capcom to get asked questions about DMC they'll just answer "we would love to but we can't say right now" to, here's e-celebrity and YouTube superstar George Weidman of hit channel Super Bunnyhop talking about game novels, including the original Devil May Cry novel by Shin-ya Gokeida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGQh1Lgx0GM

By the time we get the next DMC it should be called Geriatric May Cry. Gonna be playing as Nero's kids helping old great uncle Dante up the Devil May Cry steps at this rate.

Sesha

Before the announcement at PSX we're gonna see Western localizations of Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin, Shenmue 1 + 2 HD, Medievil remake, Crash Team Racing remake, a re-reveal of Tarsier Studio's canceled City of Metronome which is actually coming out, an Alundra 3 by Matrix Software, Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold + 3 HD Online, and a reveal that Garou 2 is actually being finished and coming out on PS4 and PC.

Before the announcement at PSX we're gonna see Western localizations of Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin, Shenmue 1 + 2 HD, Medievil remake, Crash Team Racing remake, a re-reveal of Tarsier Studio's canceled City of Metronome which is actually coming out, an Alundra 3 by Matrix Software, Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold + 3 HD Online, and a reveal that Garou 2 is actually being finished and coming out on PS4 and PC.
New 2d Metroid will be released in September, before DMC5. Last one was released in 2004, zero mission lol.

Sesha

So, I was talking to a friend about this. Assuming DMC5 launches either late 2018 or early 2019, just look at all the shit that will have released before it, and what could be released before it:

Pre-2016

Duke Nukem Forever
Bayonetta 2

AM2R, the actually really well-made Metroid 2 fan remake
Doom 2016, a AAA old school Doom in the vein of the originals
King of Fighters XIV
Final Fantasy XV, aka Versus XIII
Windjammers HD
The Last fucking Guardian
Fucking Cloud and Bayonetta in Smash Bros. 4

Resident Evil VII, a AAA actual return-to-the-roots survival horror Resident Evil
Persona 5
Nioh, a game that's been in development hell since 2004.
NieR Automata, an actual sequel to NieR, and developed by Platinum Games
Bayonetta PC
Vanquish PC
Turok PC (as my friend pointed out)
Complete remakes of Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Dragon Quest XI, a AAA HD offline console Dragon Quest
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Star Fox 2

God of War 4
Monster Hunter: World, a AAA HD offline console mainline Monster Hunter
Dragon Ball FighterZ, a AAA 2D HD 3v3 Dragon Ball Z fighting game by Arc System Works
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Metroid: Samus Returns, an official Metroid 2 remake
Red Dead Redemption 2

Maybe 2018

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1
Kingdom Hearts 3
Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon "Stars", a AAA HD offline console mainline Pokemon
Psychonauts 2
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Shenmue 3
System Shock 1 Remake

Except Duke Nukem Forever, Bayonetta 2, AM2R, Nioh, Versus 13/FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, TLG, FF7R, and Shenmue 3, all of these were announced after DMC4 Special Edition, lol.

Also Star Wars: Episode VII and fucking season 3 of Twin Peaks.

DMC5 is probably gonna be more ambitious than we might think given how much time they're spending on developing it. It is crazy though Bayonetta and Vanquish made it to PC before DMC5 was announced.

BadWolf

DMC5 is probably gonna be more ambitious than we might think given how much time they're spending on developing it. It is crazy though Bayonetta and Vanquish made it to PC before DMC5 was announced.

Uh...two years or thereabouts of development isn't anything special.

Dahbomb

We don't actually know how long it has been in development. I have been hearing about DMC5 in development since before DMC4SE's announcement. Of course what matters is the actual development time of relevant content, not pre-design stuff. For all we know full scale development started last year once they ironed out the details and stuff.

DMC4 was in development for 5+ years technically but it looked like the final product was worked on in half the amount of time. The rest of the time was spent on pre-design that was thrown in the way side or time spent converting DMC4 into multiple platforms.

Top Bottom