• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity among US adults reaches all-time high, 40% of adults and 19% of kids

PerkeyMan

The Biggest Loser Study is a terrible study. Just sample size alone is awful, not to mention who the participants were. I don't think anybody are arguing the merits of putting people through a reality show for sustained weight loss success, so I'd argue this study says nothing about the real world.

What are you talking about? Did you even bother reading the purpose of the study?

That you get a metabolic advantage eating a low carb-diet.

Or basically: Eat carbs -> Get insulin spike -> gain weight

I've grown tired of trying to explain this to people. Yes, there is a lot more to it than this, but for most Americans if they're would just cut back on their carbohydrates, get some exercise, they would be much healthier. Intermittent fasting should be encouraged too. This 3 square meals a day bs can go too.

For instance, we should be frying, baking, making, our food with ghee, lard, or maybe avocado/olive/coconut oil. But instead everyone thinks frying stuff in corn oil, or even eating corn oil, is better for you. It's not, it's destroying your dna.

Whether someone wants to go vegan or not, cut back on sugar, soy, corn oil, hfcs, and any other crap additive that's shoved in your food. This stuff isn't in there because it's better for you, it's in there because it's cheap.

I'm just thankful I know more than the average American. I'm sure I get tons of stuff wrong and have a not so great diet by anyone's standards. But at least I'm cutting back on manufactured food and carbs.

PerkeyMan

I've grown tired of trying to explain this to people. Yes, there is a lot more to it than this, but for most Americans if they're would just cut back on their carbohydrates, get some exercise, they would be much healthier. Intermittent fasting should be encouraged too. This 3 square meals a day bs can go too.

For instance, we should be frying, baking, making, our food with ghee, lard, or maybe avocado/olive/coconut oil. But instead everyone thinks frying stuff in corn oil, or even eating corn oil, is better for you. It's not, it's destroying your dna.

Whether someone wants to go vegan or not, cut back on sugar, soy, corn oil, hfcs, and any other crap additive that's shoved in your food. This stuff isn't in there because it's better for you, it's in there because it's cheap.

I'm just thankful I know more than the average American. I'm sure I get tons of stuff wrong and have a not so great diet by anyone's standards. But at least I'm cutting back on manufactured food and carbs.

I'm sorry but you misunderstood my comment. I was asked which hypothesis I was referring to which has ben debunked by science. The low carb elite claims that you get a metabolic advantage not eating carbs. They often say that when you eat carbs you get a spike in insulin which is the cause of obesity. This is incorrect and has been for years.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT LOW CARB IS A BAD DIET! Several people improve their health but it's the explanation behind it that is incorrect.

One consequence of this is that good healthy food (fruit is problably the best example) gets a bad rep.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That you get a metabolic advantage eating a low carb-diet.

Or basically: Eat carbs -> Get insulin spike -> gain weight

Wait, how has the hypothesis that carbs are more conducive to adipose tissue gain been disproven? That's a hell of a statement to make.

sugar is addicting. I have been eating sugary cereals for over 10 years every night. Couple weeks ago I went to very low low sugar cereals. Im talking corn flakes and corn bland chex. Every night I get a sugar craving for that sweet sweet taste. I have that feeling right now as I type this after eating a 4% sugar cereal compared to the laced with sugar 14% ones.

If this isnt an addictive feeling I dunno what is. I feel like I need to drown my cereal with sugar to feel good.

PerkeyMan

sugar is addicting. I have been eating sugary cereals for over 10 years every night. Couple weeks ago I went to very low low sugar cereals. Im talking corn flakes and corn bland chex. Every night I get a sugar craving for that sweet sweet taste. I have that feeling right now as I type this after eating a 4% sugar cereal compared to the laced with sugar 14% ones.

If this isnt an addictive feeling I dunno what is. I feel like I need to drown my cereal with sugar to feel good.

What happens if you put 10 spoons of sugar extra in your cereal bowl? Will you still eat it? No, sugar is not addictive. Certain foods are.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Disprove is maybe the wrong word because you can't disprove anything. But please provide one single study that shows the metabolic advantage. Hint: it doesn't exist.

To do that, I guess I would need to know exactly what your definition of "metabolic advantage" is. Do you use it to mean that, all else being equal, a person will shed body fat faster on a low carb diet, or that a person is less prone to gain body fat on one?

Look we get it, the American food industry and lobbyists are horrendous, but you are completely laying the blame at their feet. Why are other nations also seeing rising ratea of obesity?
Because we're bringing fast food and our culture to them, which they've always wanted, because we get to live and look like kings. Earlier in here I linked to the NYT article last week about Ghana getting KFC as well as our Western diet diseases:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/health/ghana-kfc-obesity.html

Places like China are interesting because they're so big and just now getting Westernized in certain regions, so we can study how specific obesity problems arise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_China

Currently, obesity in China is mostly confined to the cities where fast food culture and globalization have taken over, in comparison to poorer rural areas. Despite this concentration of obesity, the sheer size of China's population means that over one fifth of all one billion obese people in the world come from China.[4]

Few companies get into food for our health (shoutout to the weird health-focused Battle Creek cereal culture though). They do it because it makes them money, and the victims have no legal way to fight back. ALEC's Commonsense Consumption Act tells us to our face that we're schmucks getting fucked.

Here's a good overview of it for anyone who doesn't know: http://blogs.law.unc.edu/poverty/20...erable-health-threat-to-vulnerable-consumers/

The Commonsense Consumption Act (introduced as House Bill 683) protects businesses at the cost of public health, and it may prove especially harmful to particularly vulnerable North Carolinians. It was signed into law on July 18.

The law bars civil actions based on claims that long-term consumption of food has caused weight gain, obesity, associated health conditions, or other ”generally known condition(s)"; distributors, manufacturers, and marketers, among others, would have no liability in such instances.
Self-serving capitalism at the expense of the public's health and freedom continues unimpeded.

Yes we all saw What The Health, Super Size Me, and know all about the meat, dairy and food industry lobbying, but it doesn't explain why even China is seeing year over year rises in obesity. We have equated human development and industry with convenience and laziness. It is a sign of wealth to take an elevator up 12 floors than take stairs. It is a requirement to drive to work than ride a bike. We are protecting our kids by giving them a Nintendo Switch and keeping them indoors rather than getting lost outside running and playing etc.
Yep, this is why I detest capitalism! Notice how all of this is about how corporations make money by having us participate in unconscious consumerism and marketed goals of a culture of ultimate leisure. Chinese people can get this now, and they want it. Why wouldn't they?

You're mostly right, but where I disagree with you is how you're seeing these obvious corporate influences over our lifestyle and wants but then attributing the blame to individual action. Whenever there's a thread on obesity, I think "did half of Americans all individually yet collectively decide to be lazy and continually make the worst decisions possible for their health, or is it the consumer and social culture driving them?" We can talk about exercise all we want, but what are we doing about the idea that every single one of us can easily drive to fast food and have hot meals handed to us through a car window? It's an absurd idea when we really think about it, but that's our world.

Top Bottom