• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saoirse Ronan Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paging Mr JaseC, paging Mr JaseC...

I seriously thought he would be the one to open this thread lol. Damn it, his username eludes me at the moment, I remember he often frequents the Steam OT threads.

Keeps a whole folder of her pictures to use as avatars, if I recall correctly.

EDIT:- Found him! JaseC, get your rear in this thread now, lol.

she's a pretty damn good actress. out of all the young ones (kristen stewart, chloe moretz etc.) i think she has the best chance of a great career in the future.

she reminds me a lot of cate blanchett

Jase will enjoy this thread

tumblr_mjtk14ug391r4uyleo1_500.gif

Rad-

She seems very down to earth from that first interview. I like that about actors. Like they just pulled some random person and interviewed her.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I love David Poland's DP/30 interviews; they're very laid back. In addition to the Hanna one, she and Neil Jordan did one together at TIFF last year (where Byzantium premiered), and David also first interviewed her a few years prior, after her Oscar nomination for Atonement. (It's ridiculous that she didn't get another nom for The Lovely Bones.)

Paging Mr JaseC, paging Mr JaseC...

I seriously thought he would be the one to open this thread lol. Damn it, his username eludes me at the moment, I remember he often frequents the Steam OT threads.

Keeps a whole folder of her pictures to use as avatars, if I recall correctly.

You do. ;)

EDIT:- Found him! JaseC, get your rear in this thread now, lol.
Jase will enjoy this thread

tumblr_inline_mkwsfdndyuwg.gif

Not the thread starter I thought it would be.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider making a thread on the odd occasion, but I settled on letting it happen organically.

She turned down a role in The Hobbit films for that....smh

The Hobbit would have been a supporting role and turning it down ultimately allowed her to take a bunch of starring roles instead. The Host wasn't quite the quick ticket to mainstream recognition many had expected it to be, but there's a second opportunity waiting if Whedon does the right thing and casts her as Scarlet Witch in The Avengers 2.

And, for the record, while I did see The Host, I didn't particularly like it. ;) I had hopes that, despite the Meyer source material, we'd see glimpses of Gattaca-era Niccol in how he approached the film's sci-fi elements, but, christ, what a phoned-in mess. He accepted the project assuming it'd be an easy way to make a quick buck and it shows.

StuBurns

Banned
I've watched her grow through Jase's avatars. I've yet to see her in anything though.

The one with the camera phone and strange red light was the best, by the way.

JaseC

Dem eyes. She would be perfect for a Dune remake.

Ah, Dune, the one Lynch film I've yet to see. I'll get around to it eventually.

I've watched her grow through Jase's avatars. I've yet to see her in anything though.

The one with the camera phone and strange red light was the best, by the way.

It's been two months or so since I've come across a new photo well suited for use as a 100x120 avatar, so there's a good chance I'll revisit it at some point.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Have met her a few times at a few award shows/events, IFTA's & BAFTA's, really nice person, very down to Earth and is very knowledgeable about film history.

JaseC

Let's rank her performances. I say:

The Lovely Bones > Atonement > Hanna > The Way Back > Death Defying Acts > The Host > City of Ember > I Could Never Be Your Woman > The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey

I've excluded Arrietty since that's her one and only voice role (aside from the upcoming Justin and the Knights of Valour), while Violet & Daisy and Byzantium are absent because the former only screened in the US, meaning I have to wait for the BD (the release of which was recently pushed back again, to November), and the latter doesn't hit theatres here for another month (which I'm okay with as I'd expected a June/July release).

Looking forward, her 2014 slate isn't exactly a busy one assuming Fox does release Grand Budapest Hotel at the end of the year. There'll undoubtedly be a press junket period for Gosling's directorial debut, and if she's cast in The Avengers 2, that's scheduled to begin filming in February, but that's about it at this stage. Mary Queen of Scots (which Susanne Bier is directing) is ostensibly a 2014 release, however last I read she still wasn't sure if filming will begin later this year as intended, and there hasn't been any news on Testament of Youth since she accepted the lead role over a year ago, so I assume it's stillborn. On the unannounced front, there's the Little Mermaid adaptation Joe Wright has been prepping, and considering his penchant for working with familiar faces, Saoirse's a likely candidate if the project happens to get off the ground.

JaseC

Best pic ever.

I'd say my overall favourite is still this one:

I want some decent photos of her with her new hair. :p She's due to appear as the guest of honour at the Galway Film Fleadh next month, but the Irish media practically leave her alone outside of the IFTAs and the odd interview so I'm not expecting much in the way of photos.

isual

I swear there is a girl that looks a lot like her at my school . how tall is saorise ?

I should have used that as an ice breaker then talked to her .

Quick

Banned
She's pretty cool. Got to see her in person doing a Q&A, and it was hilarious how she just shut down all these armchair critics with their "deep" questions.

Also, Hanna is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom