• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swap Note

Chrom

swapnote2.jpg

Turns out there's a second version of the Genesect one, which I'm assuming was sent out to Europe instead.

I must be a complete idiot, but how do I get the different kind of stationary? When I want to write a message I don't seem to have the option to select any stationary. Hopefully someone can help me :p
This is a copypasta of a post that I made elsewhere, but I'm too proud of it not to use it again because I think it'll help you. Let me know if this works for you.

Getting Started

There are two ways to obtain these special stationery, both of which require wireless communication. It is not possible to unlock them by yourself and use Play Coins to purchase them.

The ability to use different stationery, special or not, isn't available once you start using Swapnote, and it must be unlocked. Once you have a specific number of notes saved (a collective pool of every note you have, including your own notes and any replies), you will receive a note from Nikki that will let you save special stationery. I don't know of the exact number required for receiving this note or which note this is (there are three that involve stationery, but none of them specifically mention the existence of special stationery), but once you do obtain this ability, any special stationery accompanied with all future notes will be saved to your 3DS.

To optimize the opportunities of receiving special stationery, you want to go to Settings and have the following options enabled (Yes):

• SpotPass Activated - So that you can receive any notes through SpotPass, which may or may not contain special stationery.
  • StreetPass Activated - So that you can receive any notes through StreetPass, which may or may not contain special stationery.
  • Special Notes Received - So that you can receive special notes from Nintendo and its partners via SpotPass, which always contain special stationery.
Keep in mind that you only need at least one of these options turned on in order to have a way of receiving special stationery, but I strongly recommend having at least the first and last ones enabled. Something I'm not sure about is whether or not the Special Note Received option is overridden by the SpotPass Activated option if the latter is turned off since they both utilize SpotPass.

Lastly, while I can't confirm this for sure, I believe that additional stationery is saved to your SD card. In your System Settings, Swapnote is saved under two different entries: one for the application itself and another for "extra data", which I think may include saved notes and special stationery. That said, if the extra data really does expand and consume more memory whenever you're saving that kind of data, I have the idea that if your SD card is completely full, it will become impossible to save anything more. As a precaution, make sure your SD card is not full to ensure your ability to receive special stationery.

Receiving Special Stationery

The main way is by receiving special notes that are sent by Nintendo or its partners during the time of their distribution. In order to receive these special notes, an important step to do is that you must go to Settings and enable the Special Notes Received option with Yes. With this, you will automatically receive special notes whenever they're given out, which typically will offer new stationery that you can not obtain otherwise. Enabling the option will not retroactively have the special notes sent prior to your setting activation be sent to you, so you shouldn't expect anything to happen until a new special note is sent out.

Now, let's say a special note is sent out. How will you know? Well, if you did everything correctly and have everything necessary enabled, you will receive a SpotPass notification on your Home Menu (alternatively, while you're already in the application, tap SpotPass Delivery Check for a manual search of note deliveries). Let the note and any others download. You won't know if it's a special note until you open it and you see a gold border around it when displaying the preview. After reading the contents of the special note, what should happen immediately after exiting the note is that the application will pause for about five seconds with the message that it's saving the stationery. Once the note is saved, you can use it as many times as you'd like.

It's worth noting that not every special note is sent to everyone because they're for specific audiences (Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, for example, was issued in a special note that was only distributed in Japan), so if you want those particular stationery that accompany them, you will want to receive a note containing that stationery from a friend.

This other method of receiving special stationery is especially handy for getting the ones that you weren't able to get through special notes, and it's really easy. Just have a friend send you a message with the special stationery that you want, and it will be saved to your collection just as it would if it came from a special note. It does not matter if the special stationery originally came from a region that doesn't match yours, it's yours to keep.

StreetPass will ultimately become your last resort if you can't get Internet on your 3DS. It works entirely the same as getting a special note or a regular note from an online friend. As long as you can find people who have those special stationery and they have the according note queued for StreetPass, you can theoretically obtain every special stationery without ever having to go online.

Using Your Special Stationery

Now that you have your special stationery saved, you'll eventually want to try it out when writing a note. To do this, tap Write a Note, and in the options, choose Change Stationery. It is here that all of your stationery, including special stationery, appear. Slide through the gallery all the way to the right, which is where all special stationery would be stored. If you see the special stationery there, then that you means you've successfully downloaded it and are able to use it.

MicH

That's a great guide, thank you so much YoshiRider123! I created a few notes and got access to both selecting stationary and getting special stationary. I've barely used it before, but I want the cool stationary as well :D

Chrom

That's a great guide, thank you so much YoshiRider123! I created a few notes and got access to both selecting stationary and getting special stationary. I've barely used it before, but I want the cool stationary as well :D

One thing I should mention is that when new ones are sent out, they're not sent out over a period of time but rather only at one instance (just like with all Swapnote messages). If you somehow missed any, then your only option would be to rely on other people to send them to you unless they ever decide to send them again for whatever reason.

Croc

Banned
Can someone add me and send me the FE and Pokemon stationaries? I think those are the only ones I'm missing. If that Halloween one was real then I guess I need that too.

I'm already on the list but my FC is 2105-8650-6362.

Edit: Also after going back and checking my stationaries for which ones I need I have come to the conclusion the Nintendo for sure needs to update stationary organization. There's a ton now and it makes going through them all pretty annoying/tedious.

Chrom

I haven't received anything thought. Could it be based on versions, only in USA? I don't think anyone in Europe received this.

Hmm... You know, I wonder. I do think I'm a little too assumptive to think it's by region rather than by version.

Chrom

I believe that I am near full understanding now.

All three were sent to America and Europe. The two Genesect ones are definitely not region-exclusive but I'm not sure what the exact requirements for both are.

Chrom

What? That can't be true. I play Black 2 and I got the purple stationery.

Huh... Someone specifically told me they got the black stationery by playing Black 2. I guess this means it's actually random? Like, maybe you get either of the two by playing one of the games, but you get both if you play both?

Zornica

Banned
started a new add wave, still too much white space on my friendlist :7
the grey stationary keeps my hopes for pkmn grey alive. do it!

zroid

Banned
Ah neat, I didn't expect the voice message would actually indicate which version you own.

I got the black one and I play Black 2.

Tyeforce

Huh... Someone specifically told me they got the black stationery by playing Black 2. I guess this means it's actually random? Like, maybe you get either of the two by playing one of the games, but you get both if you play both?
Never mind, I ended up getting the black one later. That's weird. I have played both versions on my 3DS, but I only got the purple one at first, and then the black one came later. Figured I would have gotten them both at the same time, or at least the black one first.

MicH

I still haven't gotten either Pokemon stationary - and I've played both versions on my 3DS XL (though only brief as I prefer my DSi XL)

kairiceres

Neo Member
I just bought and started playing pokemon black 2 yesterday and I also haven't received any pokemon stationary. Is there a special thing I need to do?

zroid

Banned
I just bought and started playing pokemon black 2 yesterday and I also haven't received any pokemon stationary. Is there a special thing I need to do?

It might be too late for you, unfortunately. I think the stationery distribution is a one-time thing so you probably won't get the original message. A friend can still send you them, of course.

Mr. Robot

My friend code is: 1547 6536 9025, if anyone wants to add me, i will gladly add you back, I PMd the people i added from this thread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably sent to all European systems. Maybe NA will get its own version next week.

Well I didn't get it and I did buy Pullblox. Would be strange for the requirement to be the purchase of Fallblox seeing as it was only released today.

zroid

Banned
It's probably not tied to owning the game this time, just a standard promotional Note. Chances are you'll be getting it at some point, they often get delayed for some people.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah. I eventually got the note late last night, but it does seem to be connected to Pullblox as the message basically goes 'Hope you enjoyed the first the sequel is out now!'

Croc

Banned
For those wondering I just received the NA Crashmo one. And I have Pushmo so I can't really say if playing it makes a difference.

Edit: And for some reason even though someone sent me the Fallblox one, it isn't showing up in my stationary. Do they make the NA one overwrite the EU one now or something?

Edit 2: Just realized there was a notification and it explicitly said it was only being sent to people who played the first one.

Chrom

I made this prediction elsewhere, but I'm guessing that Nintendo will be sending out three versions of the Crashmo stationery (Crashmo, Fallblox, Hiku Otsu) and they'll all be region specific like the Art Academy ones.

Edit: Just got the Crashmo stationery. It is just like Art Academy.

Roto13

For those wondering I just received the NA Crashmo one. And I have Pushmo so I can't really say if playing it makes a difference.

Edit: And for some reason even though someone sent me the Fallblox one, it isn't showing up in my stationary. Do they make the NA one overwrite the EU one now or something?
Yup. Looks like the superior Crashmo stationery replaced the other one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope it doesn't replace it on EU systems. I want the stationary to have the name of the game I own.

Top Bottom