• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hirednoobs rage post incoming in 15 minutes.
Normally a good prediction, but 3.5 hours of fun and laughs later I come bearing compliments.

The Crimson DLC list is FUN. 6v6 feels like a sweet spot for Halo 4 and there is a healthy mix of objective with the occasional slayer match. You need some voting power to maintain map variety (or else the achievement hunters are going to vote 100% Shatter), but those 3 maps are varied and especially fun for using Halo 4's Hog, Mantis, and Ghost.

Too bad it's the least popular list.

Normally a good prediction, but 3.5 hours of fun and laughs later I come bearing compliments.

The Crimson DLC list is FUN. 6v6 feels like a sweet spot for Halo 4 and there is a healthy mix of objective with the occasional slayer match. You need some voting power to maintain map variety (or else the achievement hunters are going to vote 100% Shatter), but those 3 maps are varied and especially fun for using Halo 4's Hog, Mantis, and Ghost.

Too bad it's the least popular list.

I agree, but I think 8v8 Objective on some maps would be better. I miss the huge maps like Sidewinder or Avalanche and playing endless touch return BTB CTF games. It's a whole different Halo.

Omni

I was playing CTF on Valhalla when a few minutes into the match a teammate grabbed the Mantis and went over the mound in the middle of the map to put pressure on the enemy team (at that point we were losing). So the very FIRST sign of danger and he loses his shields, he backs up a little bit - leaving the mantis in front of the enemy base - and runs away on foot.

Seriously, what the hell.

I went 44-1 in that game (lol trueskill) and we still won, but that is really frustrating to see. I was left there cleaning up several guys who were rushing to get in it

I know I'm a little late with the dog thing, but...

6gHhC.jpg

293671_393988137354002_1279947795_n.png

"When I joined the Corps, we didn’t have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!"

Believe.

IHaveIce

Banned
293671_393988137354002_1279947795_n.png

"When I joined the Corps, we didn’t have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!"

Believe.
you ass, I come in this thread and this is the first I see, don't make jokes about that :(

Moa

My main concern with Halo 2 Anniversary would be if they'd make the city look like Halo 3: ODST's New Mombasa, or keep it in the old design but with updated graphics.

Personally, I loved ODSTs design, despite it being not true to the original (and the entire city moved around).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If I'd have the original multiplayer (without all the glitches) with all the DLC maps, I'd be in heaven.

i wonder how likely that would be... seems like fixing the glitches and improving the netcode would be quite the task. theres also the question of how it would split the decreased halo fan base further - potentially impacting halo 4. i suppose if 720 isnt backwards compatable AND halo 2 anniversary is a 720 launch or near launch, having the MP may be a possibility.

i'm not holding my breath and don't much care either way, but it would be interesting to see the reactions here and what haloGAF would find to complain about ;)

i wonder how likely that would be... seems like fixing the glitches and improving the netcode would be quite the task. theres also the question of how it would split the decreased halo fan base further - potentially impacting halo 4. i suppose if 720 isnt backwards compatable AND halo 2 anniversary is a 720 launch or near launch, having the MP may be a possibility.

i'm not holding my breath and don't much care either way, but it would be interesting to see the reactions here and what haloGAF would find to complain about ;)

I'm not holding my hopes up either. I'd be my ideal scenario. If we'd get a Halo 2 anniversary , I'd guess 343'd do it like they did with CE anniversary.

Tawpgun

343i definitely has to redesign the Promethean Knights classes in Halo 5. It is damn hard to see difference.

Another interesting note to make, the ending of Halo 4 sets it up so we might never have to fight Promethean Knights ever again.

Also, discussion point: A lot of the design decisions around Halo 4 revolve around a single question. What makes Halo, Halo... and who has the right to say what it is, because honestly, I don't even think 343 has a right to decide what makes Halo, Halo. They only have the power to make it so. The only people that ever had that right were Bungie since they created it.

"Two men enter, the better man leaves, the lesser man is left respawning, and that's Halo." -Luke Smith.

has changed to

Two men enter, the one who had the better loadout wins, and that's Halo (4).

That's a very big generalization and not true in every 1 v 1 situation, because a good player will dong on a lesser player regardless. But all these loadout options basically dilute the skill levels. What this means is a Level 50 will destroy a level 30 in a straight up even fight the VAST majority of the time. But a Level 50 vs a Level 45 will be a much closer match and the level 45 should lose more than the 50, but he would win a lot more than the level 30.

The decisions made in Halo 4 make it so that the Level 45 and the Level 50 match is a LOT closer. What should have come down to simple skill is muddied by each players loadout choices and luck with his ordnance.

Yes, the 50, being the better player will still win the majority of the time, but the 45 will win more times than he would have given an equal fight.

However it seems 343 has no regard for this aspect of player equality. Unfortunately it was the thing I fundamentally disagreed with with CoD's design. Better players and worse, players who simply play more, are given access to more tools.

To 343, this can be Halo. To me, it can't be.

Overdoziz

Banned
I love how in Halo Wars you can just set up a big defense with anti-vehicle and anti-air units at your base and get the most amount of points even if you lose.
Edit: Haha, a guy just spend like half an hour trying to destroy my defense and base. In the end when he finally managed to win he only got around 2,500 points while I got 14,000. :)

from the gaming side... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506815

that would be pretty sweet actually.

Telltale Games had one hell of a 2012. It released its successful adaptation of The Walking Dead (which GamesBeat named its Game of the Year).

How does the developer plan to follow that up? Well, it sounds like it wants to work on some of the biggest video game and movie franchises in existence.

“Coming from LucasArts, we always felt we could do a great Star Wars story game,” Telltale chief executive officer Dan Connors told Red Bull U.K. in an interview. “We also love the idea of building out a deeper story to a great game franchise — something like Half Life Stories or Halo Stories.”

Of course, the developer has nothing in the works that involves Halo, Half-Life, or Star Wars, but Connors and the rest of the team at Telltale believe they are ready for something of that scale.

“[Dan Connors was] speaking more to our goal of wanting to take on a major gaming franchise someday,” Telltale’s senior vice president of publishing Steve Allison told GamesBeat. “[We want] to build a narrative game series that supports another franchise — as we passionately believe [our game] would not compete with or cannibalize [Halo 4 or the next Half-Life.]“

Allison believes that a Telltale adventure game based on a major gaming or movie franchise would only boost player investment in the series. Especially since the developer’s games are so different from what most of these properties are best known for.

“Will we do this? Yes, we believe we will some time very soon,” said Allison. “But the franchises mentioned are totally speculative and used only as an example to frame the idea.”

Source

I'm late to this, but this is exactly what I'd want done to the Halo franchise. Instead of having yearly FPS Halo games, alternate FPS game with things that go in a different direction.

Danny 117

I love how in Halo Wars you can just set up a big defense with anti-vehicle and anti-air units at your base and get the most amount of points even if you lose.
Edit: Haha, a guy just spend like half an hour trying to destroy my defense and base. In the end when he finally managed to win he only got around 2,500 points while I got 14,000. :)

Haha yeah turtling is fun! Though he shouldn't have allowed the game to progress so far (tech 3/4), should have rushed you! :L

OverHeat

« generous god »
Another interesting note to make, the ending of Halo 4 sets it up so we might never have to fight Promethean Knights ever again.

Also, discussion point: A lot of the design decisions around Halo 4 revolve around a single question. What makes Halo, Halo... and who has the right to say what it is, because honestly, I don't even think 343 has a right to decide what makes Halo, Halo. They only have the power to make it so. The only people that ever had that right were Bungie since they created it.

"Two men enter, the better man leaves, the lesser man is left respawning, and that's Halo." -Luke Smith.

has changed to

Two men enter, the one who had the better loadout wins, and that's Halo (4).

That's a very big generalization and not true in every 1 v 1 situation, because a good player will dong on a lesser player regardless. But all these loadout options basically dilute the skill levels. What this means is a Level 50 will destroy a level 30 in a straight up even fight the VAST majority of the time. But a Level 50 vs a Level 45 will be a much closer match and the level 45 should lose more than the 50, but he would win a lot more than the level 30.

The decisions made in Halo 4 make it so that the Level 45 and the Level 50 match is a LOT closer. What should have come down to simple skill is muddied by each players loadout choices and luck with his ordnance.

Yes, the 50, being the better player will still win the majority of the time, but the 45 will win more times than he would have given an equal fight.

However it seems 343 has no regard for this aspect of player equality. Unfortunately it was the thing I fundamentally disagreed with with CoD's design. Better players and worse, players who simply play more, are given access to more tools.

To 343, this can be Halo. To me, it can't be.
He said that in reach vidoc if I'm not mistaking?

mhi

I really think the biggest glitch I have ran into in MM is how after some host "blank screens" I am unable to sprint. Sometimes for the rest of the game.

Moa

I really think the biggest glitch I have ran into in MM is how after some host "blank screens" I am unable to sprint. Sometimes for the rest of the game.

It is because Sprint acts like an AA still, and once there is a black screen, sometimes they will just vanish, exactly like Reach.

As for no Sprint for the rest of the game, dat lag.

Korosenai

Guys, early 2013 does not mean the first week of january. I wouldnt expect these things to roll out until at least february or march.

Nowise10

Guys, early 2013 does not mean the first week of january. I wouldnt expect these things to roll out until at least february or march.

Why would they emphasis early so much then, if its 2 or 3 months in? Im expecting it to be this month.

Louis Wu

Two men enter, shoot each other, then the one with better teammates gets backup and the other one dies. That's Halo 4.

Since when was Halo EVER a 1v1 fight?

Fuchsdh

I'd say early 2013 can stretch all the way until Q2. Doesn't mean people aren't going to want it sooner rather than later, but yeah it is a fairly big timeframe.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Two men enter, shoot each other, then the one with better teammates gets backup and the other one dies. That's Halo 4.

At least they acknowledge the assist pretty well in H4 :)....For the first time in my life I lost control of my Xbox today. My son is using it to watch bubble guppies :s

Tawpgun

Because 1 v 1 fights arise all the time.

Im curious though, what do you prefer, the highly customizable loadouts making every player have different traits and abilities, or the old equal starts?

I went back to work on the first week of January. Most people did. I could have written a few paragraphs about the current state of my projects.

I don't understand how it's so difficult for 343 to have a community manager that actually does their job.

Nothing new in the Halo 4 world, ok.

Soon and Early 2013 must have meant mid summer.

Dude, it's 5 days in. I'm not expecting anything until late January at the earliest. Probably February for the DLC as Wulf said.

I went back to work on the first week of January. Most people did.I could have written a few paragraphs about the current state of my projects.

I don't understand how it's so difficult for 343 to have a community manager that actually does their job.

OK, this is what you would have got though: "We've got a title update in the works but we're not ready to talk about it yet. We'll let you know when we're ready to talk about it". Cat pictures, Christmas story, Virgin Infinity Challenge, the end.

Then everyone would moan at what a terrible bulletin it was.

I'd rather they only do bulletins when they have something to talk about or want to talk about something.

Louis Wu

Because 1 v 1 fights arise all the time.

Im curious though, what do you prefer, the highly customizable loadouts making every player have different traits and abilities, or the old equal starts?
I set up 5 loadouts, like everyone else - but i only use 2 of them. They're nearly identical; they differ only in Tactical Package and Upgrade.

I use them for every single playlist.

So I guess what it boils down to is that I like the idea of being able to set up your own loadout... but what my opponents are using (or what map I'm on, or what gametype I'm playing) doesn't change what I want to use, once it's set up.

I guess that means (with respect to your question) that I don't really care. :)

GrizzNKev

Banned

On maps as big as the ones in Halo 4? Come on.

It can be posed another way though. If the DMR's range got nerfed, or the BR became 4sk, would we see more frequent short range battles, and thus more 1v1s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom