• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Parsnip

Good news about Nioh, even though it was entirely expected.
I wonder how much 💵💵 it costs to get 9 months of exclusivity nowadays.

There are only 40 thousand PUBG Gamescom crates on the market (was like 170k not that long ago) and prices are only going up now. :)

💵💵

Speaking of money, any active wingamestore coupons?

Parsnip

Koei Tecmo, though...

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
The little bit that there's out there doesn't sound good, but considering we just had a "we hope you will accept this" and then it turned out that it wasn't what we feared (which is not to say that Blue Reflection doesn't have other issues, but I digress), I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this is just bad PR as well.

Jawmuncher

Yeah. Right now i'm sitting at give me a good port for nioh or i'm just gonna buy a cheap ass vanilla version on PS4 when the "GOTY" edition comes out.

gabbo

They relaunched like 3 different times didn't they? I remember you had to sign up through their site to play the game, then it came to steam. Then it disappeared and it was early access when it came back right? I remember hearing tons of negative things about it since it was super pay 2 win, otherwise you grind for a long time to get new robots.

Making a Mech game multiplayer focused is never a good sign. This looked good, but never made up for its looks with the gameplay

MUnited83

For you.
5a2d268c20670fa867d179f879874cfa.png

Told y'all to hoard them crates :)

That 4K 30FPS cinematic mode (TM) though...

It's so bad on the PS4 Pro. Even as a 4K TV owner I tried the mode for like 10 seconds lol

If there's ONE Tecmo game that deserves a good port, this it it. If they don't botch the port I may double dip out of respect for finally doing something worth a damn on the PC. Also the game is super dope.

Xater

the artstyle is amazing ... the gameplay seems fine forwhats basically tech demo ...had to mute the horrendous commentary

It seems like they are going more into a survival horror direction with puzzles and sparse ammo. Still very much interested how the final game will shake out.

Yeah the art is pretty amazing. Gross, but that's intended.

prudislav

RIP

Hello everyone,

With great sadness, I must inform you that Tactical Intervention is shutting down.

It's been a wild and crazy ride over the past 8 years. We suspected this was coming, but held out for as long as possible. The past two years haven't gone as planned. Even with all the many updates our player numbers haven't bounced back and the game has become unable to sustain itself.

As most of you will know, running the infrastructure for a video game requires a lot of effort - both in terms of manpower, and in terms of finances.

While we were always able to find enough support among you guys - designers, admins and community leaders, the lack of revenue has lead us into an impossible situation.

Our surprisingly patient European server hosts eventually saw no other option than shutting down our servers, a blow from which we cannot recover from.

That being said: never say never again, and maybe there will be a comeback one day in a different shape; we have never lost our passion for this game and our confidence in its potential.

However, for the time being we can't see a way out of our own private financial crisis.

Again, thanks everyone for having made TI the blast that it's been - take care wherever you are!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/51100/announcements/detail/1488861563241217935

zkylon

zkylewd
That is not boring, that makes world more believe. Common human interaction and problems. Relationships between crew and all of that. Hell they managed to tie story about
D&D that crew played
with treasure hunt quest. There are lots of personal stories that make you know crew better even though they are mostly dead. More you explore more you paint the picture how was life on Talos before events. There is nothing boring about that.

But everybody is entitled to their opinion.
nah i'm cool with all of that, i just don't like them here, i don't think it's very interesting

Actually, Thief is an interesting example. Warren Spector, who worked on Thief, but not as a director, didn't actually like a lot of the restriction that Thief put forward, and from a design perspective Deus Ex is his answer to it. So I would argue that while Thief certainly shares a lot of DNA with those other games, it's bit of an exception (which is not to say that I don't absolutely adore it, but it does restrict player freedom, since you are a thief, who is most powerful in the shadows). So since "immersive sim" as a loose term is coined by Warren Spector, I would say that Thief is not it's "poster child" (though he made one himself, but clearly didn't want to change too much about it's formula).
yeah that's fair, but to me thief always felt like a great example of the immersive sim ethos, of having a believable world governed by understandable and interactable rules

i never felt thief was restrictive, it's just focused. i feel other games like deus ex that let you shoot people are kind of garbage at it, so while having that ability is "nice", i don't think it adds all that much since it's a really rough and unrewarding side of the game, laser sword aside

Furthermore, I don't think me liking more traditional approaches like Prey compared to the streamlined action game that is BioShock is in any shape or form "dogmatic". It's great to see other games taking clues from them, but I still cherish the fact that we do get those more coherent experiences that simply focus on making better immersive sims, living up to the design goals of putting player choice first.
I love RPG games, and yet obviously just having more games with "RPG mechanics" is a poor replacement for me wanting to play actual RPG games. I also like PnC adventure games. Just because games would start to have more puzzles, where you combine objects in hilariously illogical ways, wouldn't make actual adventure games superfluous.
In that same vein, there are only ever two, maybe three companies that make, what I would understand as, immersive sims. Eidos Montreal will likely not get their hand on this genre again, so that leaves Arcane, Otherside Entertainment (made up of a lot of Looking Glass people) and also Night Dive Studios (though no real track record on them, looking forward to see how the remake will turn out). And of these, Arcane had a few bombs recently, so their focus might also change if Bethesda wants it.
like i said, i see this situation as an old xcom versus new xcom, a streamlined and more accessible (and i'd argue in many respects, better designed) version of a more complex game, but one that manages to keep the essence of the systems it has streamlined

not completely, and there's a lot of crap about bioshock that doesn't work, but i think overall bioshock is a game that puts player choice first, it's just focused in the same way thief was

to elaborate on the "better designed" part, i just think a lot of things about old immersive sims don't work. like i said before, deus ex and system shock are really poor shooters, even if you can sort of play them as such, and thief has probably the worst melee combat in a game ever. in the same vein, i don't think the inventory in prey is much more than busywork (unlike say deus ex human revolution in which it's mostly entertaining, even if it's also a bit tedious), and i don't think the skilltree is very interesting since a lot of the upgrades are stat bonuses (25% more gun dmg or 50 more HP) or mandatory "keycard" abilities like hacking or object lifting. yeah, the spells are pretty fun, but i don't think the choices you make in the skilltree are very well thought out

so yeah, while intricate and complex, i don't think neither of these are very good systems. i would be super into seeing good versions of these systems, because i do like creating builds and stuff, but i feel prey is a bit fluff, and i do believe less is sometimes more in these cases (which is why some of my favorite rpg systems are very simple like fallout's or dark souls' or powered by the apocalypse)

prey in some respects feels a bit to me like wasteland 2, a game with an earnest reverence for the source material, but maybe too much reverence to be able to cut what needs cutting (or improving, if you can)

So having the prospect of essentially not getting these games for many years again, if they just do not sell, it's rather hard for me to "rejoice" that other games might take a few elements from immersive sims. I don't want morsels, I want the whole damn beef, dammit!
there should be room for the streamlined and the complex, but i don't agree with where you draw the line

at this point it's just semantics so it doesn't really matter, i don't think the way you view things is unfair or whatever

I think I understand better where you are coming from, but for me Prey is the more traditional thing, and BioShock merely the diet coke version of it. I like one (except the ending of BioShock), but adore the other.
i think we agree then, cos they're both coke.

well except on the part of adoring prey, which i think is a fine game, but nothing special. i would've called it a let down if my expectations weren't so low after disho2 :>

EDIT:
Just read up on you just chalking up all the great audio logs and other bits of writing as "boring science talk". I'm not going to be condescending, zkylon. I'll just point out that I could make some condescending comments here. So there.
i said "boring scientist talk", as in boring scientists talking, not that science is boring. it's my mistake tho, since most of the time it's not scientists but like maintenance or security people talking about how shipments are going and whatnot.

in my opinion (i don't say in my opinion a lot, so i'm making an exception here as to not offend people -___-), the assholes in this space station are boring as hell. for an evil company that discovered space spiders and was using them for superpowers, they sure talk about a whole lot of unimportant bullshit...

L.O.R.D

finished cuphead and passed the 1000 achievements on steam

DLKg8oBW4AAG8pT.jpg

not really big deal, but still annoying

ps: i know someone will try to remind me of the cheat i did in the past to get some achievements, no need to tell me again.

Battlechili

Banned
Chuck! Why didn't you tell me Dieselmine had another game coming?!

Legend of Fainn Dynasty ~Battles of Beautiful Warlords~

And looks like SakuraGames too added another game to the long list.

Element Hime

Pin-Point joins Steam too... how long before we get some Lilith games?
Still this is not the way I wanted to see Steam-by-Night materialize (because I like my lewd smut well translated and edited).

In other news, Princess Serena is going to get a remade translation. Hopefully they also fix all the shit wrong with it too when that translation goes live in the future.
These actually look like (game wise, not translationw ise) they have some actual effort put into them. I'm genuinely excited.

Is Wasteland 2 : Directors Cut the definitive way to play? I have both on steam but only played a bit when Wasteland 2 originally released and remember them first geckos hit hard

Parsnip

I'm almost 100% on the main chunk of AC Unity, just a handful of co-op missions to do and then the Dead Kings DLC, which doesn't seem too long. I still like the game but man, all the side activities are thin as hell.

By the way, completely off-topic but if you are in the Android eco system, you can register on the playstore to get notified when Monument Valley 2 is available. Seems like you've been able to register for a little over a month, supposed to be out this year. The game was iOS exclusive for a bit there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I see that Submerged is 90% off in this week's Weeklong Deals. That makes it $2 ($3 with the OST) and I would highly recommend it especially at that price.

Tizoc

Battle Garegga 2016 is releasing on PSN this week.
Really hope we get a PC/Steam release down the line too XO

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I see that Submerged is 90% off in this week's Weeklong Deals. That makes it $2 ($3 with the OST) and I would highly recommend it especially at that price.

I might get it before the discount ends. Of course I'd only start playing it after 15 days at least inc ase it gets bundled :V

Javier23

Banned
Unless you're heavily into the tower climbing aspect of the Ubi formula I wouldn't recommend it. Janky as hell, mediocre art style and narrative, really short (thankfully) and it basically plays itself. No difficulty to it.

I wouldn't recommend playing it even if it was free. There's far better indie games that do the whole contemplative and poignant vibe this thing is going for infinitely better.

Mivey

Is Wasteland 2 : Directors Cut the definitive way to play? I have both on steam but only played a bit when Wasteland 2 originally released and remember them first geckos hit hard
Get at least two people with assault rifles, avoid shotguns (they have their uses, however, not as damage dealers, they are just useful to destroy cover). And yes, the DC is the superior way, with controller support, if you care for that. (Works well, too).

r3n4ud

What the heck is going on with the Steam website? Only half of it loads for me with no pictures. Been like that for the past few days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What the heck is going on with the Steam website? Only half of it loads for me with no pictures. Been like that for the past few days.

Its what happens when you ignore people :(

Top Bottom