• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Restaurant Recommendations for Montreal?

TheExodu5

Banned
La Banquise toppings are great. Got the swiss one last time which was pretty good. Unfortunately the fries and gravy leave a lot to be desired.

TDLink

I mean there's a ton of restaurants in the city, and most of you guys are suggesting places that are chains (Boustan and Dunns? Really?)

I haven't been in like a year but as far as I'm aware Boustan only has one location on Crescent downtown. Has that changed? That's the location I'm talking about. Dunn's I'm aware is a chain but I am talking about the downtown location (down the street from the movie theatre) for that one as well. And it is very good.

Not all "chains" are created equal. It's not like you can find Dunn's in whatever country someone happens to be visiting from. And it's not like it's some shit like Applebee's.

Roronoa95

You definitely have to go in the Mile End area :

Dinette Triple Crown → Excellent North American restaurant
Marconi → A bit expansive, top quality over quantity
Salmigondis → A bit expansive but everything there is excellent
Le Petit Alep → Pretty good middle-east food

Also, my personal favorite one : Super Qualité → Best Indian Restaurant

Minus_Me

I haven't been in like a year but as far as I'm aware Boustan only has one location on Crescent downtown. Has that changed? That's the location I'm talking about. Dunn's I'm aware is a chain but I am talking about the downtown location (down the street from the movie theatre) for that one as well. And it is very good.

Not all "chains" are created equal. It's not like you can find Dunn's in whatever country someone happens to be visiting from. And it's not like it's some shit like Applebee's.

There's three Boustan locations now.

Edit: Actually more it seems.

TDLink

There's three Boustan locations now.

Edit: Actually more it seems.

Woah, I looked it up. There's a ton now. This must have happened extremely recently. All my life there was just the Crescent location. And the food was great, won a bunch of awards like every year.

Did they sell the business? I guess I can't speak to the current quality of the food.

AlexM

went there on a bit of a quick restaurant tour for a few days.

I think my favorite was Tapas 88 in old montreal.

Schwartz is good, kind of wish I went to the place across the street though because I'm not the type who enjoys waiting in lines for stuff.

I tried Le Musso because I got my plane tickets on points and decided to try something fancy. It was really good but holy shit it's expensive. Like 200$ a person.

Le Cadet is ok.

In general though, coming from Vancouver it was a big step up. Feels like you can throw a rock there and probably hit a decent place. Nothing I had there was less that good.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Le Petit Alep → Pretty good middle-east food

Yessss.

The Khach-Khach kebab.........hnnnnng.

Banquise is overrated.
Don't listen to suburbanites telling you to go there

q7nqBUb.gif

RevoDS

I have yet to be able to eat at L'Avenue. Its actually getting annoying, Always a huge wait when I'm in the area.

Protips: Actually wake up, you can go in fine before 10am most days. Also the Griffintown location has more seating and is slightly less popular (still has lineups after 10:30-11 though)

Minus_Me

Protips: Actually wake up, you can go in fine before 10am most days. Also the Griffintown location has more seating and is slightly less popular (still has lineups after 10:30-11 though)

We like to sleep in on the weekend haha

Didn't know about the Griffintown one which is much closer for me to get to. Thanks for the heads up!

Essay

I'd say hit up a classic Vietnamese pho place, like Pho Bac while you're there, especially if you don't have anything like that back home.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
- Hyang Jin is the best Japanese/Korean restaurant that I know of. Their lunch specials continue during the week-end, and for the price, the quality of the sushi is excellent. If sushi isn't your thing they still have other quality dishes and their bento are big and generous. Probably my favourite restaurant in Montreal, though it's a bit far from my place so I can't go there that often.

- For poutine and good, generous, cheap breakfasts (also really good pasta and pizza), I recommend the Mont-Royal Hot-Dog. Don't let the name fool you, it ain't just hot-dogs or fast food ;) It's cheaper than La Banquise (same area too) and there's no stupid line-up full of tourists either. They have breakfasts all day too.

- Le Milsa is pretty amazing Brazilian barbecue. A bit pricey, but the meat is delicious.

- Il Focolaio has fantastic thin-crust wood oven-baked pizzas.

In Chinatown:

- Pho Saigon has the best pho in town. Their non-soup dishes are also really good.
- Dobe & Andy has the best BBQ pork and duck I've ever had, and their noodles (Singapore noodles and Shanghai noodles especially) are delicious too.
- Nudo is good, cheap and filling, good bang for your buck. Hand-made noodle franchise, you can get a very filling meal for $10 with tax and tip.
- Kanbai is a recent discovery of mine, amazing Szechuan place. Fully endorsed by my Chinese co-worker too, who took us there ;)
- Little Sheep Mongolian Hotpot is fun too, especially for small groups. I've only been there 2-3 times though but I always enjoyed it.

What is it with you guys recommending Schwartz's so much? The quality has gone WAAAAY down in recent years. Apparently when the old owner sold a lot of the older kitchen and buying staff left, and with that all the contacts for the good briskets. Their meat has gotten to be so damn dry it's not even funny. You go asking for the fattiest cut of meat and it's barely what their medium used to be (and with this you want the fattiest cut ever).

La Banquise is also a tourist trap - there's a TON of better poutine joints in the city. It's basically the place where all the people from France bring their visiting friends, but it's really ordinary poutine.
Agreed. Two very overrated places.

And hey OP, you went to the Korean place in the Eaton Center. If I think you went where I think you went, their bibimbap is okay but it's really missing kimchi (that you have to buy separately, ugh) and fried eggs but otherwise it's good.
Whaaaaaaat

A Korean restaurant that won't include kimchi? That's pathetic, LOL. Every single Korean place I've ever been to included kimchi and other side-dishes (banchan) automatically.

Man, other than Hyang Jin, it seems Korean food is really pathetic in Montreal compared to Toronto. If anyone knows of a really good Korean place I'd love to hear it.

Anyone in this thread that lives in Montreal - I want to learn French and be your new best friend. :b
What is it with you guys recommending Schwartz's so much? The quality has gone WAAAAY down in recent years. Apparently when the old owner sold a lot of the older kitchen and buying staff left, and with that all the contacts for the good briskets. Their meat has gotten to be so damn dry it's not even funny. You go asking for the fattiest cut of meat and it's barely what their medium used to be (and with this you want the fattiest cut ever).

La Banquise is also a tourist trap - there's a TON of better poutine joints in the city. It's basically the place where all the people from France bring their visiting friends, but it's really ordinary poutine.

Joe Beef is 100% legit though, as is Le Pied de Cochon.

And hey OP, you went to the Korean place in the Eaton Center. If I think you went where I think you went, their bibimbap is okay but it's really missing kimchi (that you have to buy separately, ugh) and fried eggs but otherwise it's good.

I mean there's a ton of restaurants in the city, and most of you guys are suggesting places that are chains (Boustan and Dunns? Really?)

Qiang Hua is great for dumplings, but I (personally) prefer Mai Xiang Yuan in Chinatown (that doesn't even have a sign, ha!). I find their dumplings have more flavor, but it's still pretty close. Qiang Hua is always a bit dirty, too :(
I definitely have to plan more time for my next visit. I wish I had more time for Chinatown and some of the more residential type areas. And this Joe Beef sounds amazing.

Na they have a sign, they moved location slightly and spruced up. Also an excellent place.

Which place in the Eaton center if you don't mind sharing a name?
Kim Chi. It’s in the main food court.

Edit: I’m now getting banner ads for Pizza Pizza and ‘Live in Montreal!’

Cilidra

Mini burgers at Patati Patata are amazing.
Get bacon

That joint is co-owned by my brother in law. He started working there as a university student and eventually bought the place with his co-worker. He is passionate about the place and I think it shows.
They have incredible staff retention. It's like a family there.
It not a pretentious place but for a burger joint, it wonderful.
And yes, their patatine is great.

Minus_Me

Kim Chi. It's in the main food court.

Ah ok, I knew of that place but I thought you two were talking about a sit down place. I mean Kim Chi is a fast food place, wouldn't think they'd go all out on the side dishes.

Man, other than Hyang Jin, it seems Korean food is really pathetic in Montreal compared to Toronto. If anyone knows of a really good Korean place I'd love to hear it.

Ganadara, Mon Ami, Atti, and Samcha are my favourites.

That joint is co-owned by my brother in law. He started working there as a university student and eventually bought the place with his co-worker.

Tell him thank you staying open late, god send.

TimeKillr

Kim Chi. It's in the main food court.

Ah. That's not what I was thinking - there's an Atti Express in the tunnel from the Eaton Center that leads to Place Ville-Marie (I did a month-long contract at WeWork at PVM and we ate there a few times).

Kim Chi in the food court is... okay? A friend of mine had their japchae and it was apparently okay, but nothing special really.

Ah ok, I knew of that place but I thought you two were talking about a sit down place. I mean Kim Chi is a fast food place, wouldn't think they'd go all out on the side dishes.

Ganadara, Mon Ami, Atti, and Samcha are my favourites.

Yeah the place I was talking about was the Atti Express in the tunnel. It's not bad, but like I said I was disappointed :(

Ganadara and Mon Ami are god tier though - the only knock I have against Ganadara is that their beef bibimbap doesn't use bulgogi, it uses some ground beef, which is really, REALLY disappointing :(

I also love to go for ramen at Yokata Yokabai, it's stupid delicious.

Going off topic a bit and something I should’ve inquired about before I bought the training materials - but is French in Montreal basically the same as “French French”?

I just bought a Pimsleur French study set and French vocabulary guide to help prep me for my next visit.

Euler007

Going off topic a bit and something I should’ve inquired about before I bought the training materials - but is French in Montreal basically the same as “French French”?

I just bought a Pimsleur French study set and French vocabulary guide to help prep me for my next visit.

Yes, mostly. Different expressions are used and the accent is different, kinda like British vs US southern accent.

Regarding the initial question, I'd add "Chez Levesque" on Laurier West to the list of restaurants to visit, good French cuisine.

Minus_Me

Yes, mostly. Different expressions are used and the accent is different, kinda like British vs US southern accent.

Regarding the initial question, I'd add "Chez Levesque" on Laurier West to the list of restaurants to visit, good French cuisine.

Also has a great after 9pm (10pm?) menu if you wanna be a bit more budget conscious.

Leméac across the street is also a phenomenal place to eat and also has an after 10pm menu.

Around the block from both of these is also La Croissanterie Figaro which has a great Parisian atmosphere and some decent desert and coffee.

Llyranor

Bol Orange (Cote Vertu/Decarie) has my favorite sundubu (tofu stew), even better than the ones I've had in Seoul. I highly recommend the pork belly one.

Opiano near McGill has superb bingsu (snowy shaved ice), though I guess it's not the season for that anymore.

I'd love to get recommendations for a good non-AYCE KBBQ place

Top Bottom