• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final build of Sonic Xtreme found, leaking as we speak

Krejlooc

Banned
One of the things I'm most excited about is to find out what these odd strings in the level files released by Senn represent. We figured out most of the level format, but in certain areas, there are odd strings of digits that appear to move along sin-curved paths. They seem to correspond to some object we don't have and I've wondered what the hell they were for. My theory is they were paths for particles to fly around, as seen in the released videos from Senn, but nobody has ever been sure.

With the source in hand, we should be able to finally figure out what those strings are for.

Holy shit! I've been following the thread on Asssembler. Good shit. I wonder if I can swap disc it on my Saturn.

edit: this is what i get for not reading the OP before posting

Krejlooc

Banned
Double Whammy considering it's from Sega, didn't they throw out the source code for a bunch of their old shit years ago?

These sorts of things don't leak from Sega. Without a doubt, everything that was Sonic Xtreme is long gone at Sega.

These sorts of leaks come from former employees who held on to old computers after they left the company. People dig around their old harddrives and find crazy stuff. That's how Ecco the Dolphin 2 for the Dreamcast leaked - it was just sitting on the harddrive of a dreamcast development kit, unnoticed for a decade.

baphomet

Oh shit son! This is awesome news. Can't wait to check it out on my Saturn.

Wait, not on Saturn? That's pretty lame. I thought this PC build had been out for quite awhile. That or someone has had the build for a long time.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Double Whammy considering it's from Sega, didn't they throw out the source code for a bunch of their old shit years ago?

I like how one little story about PD Saga means ONLY Sega EVER dumped source code they didn't feel they needed.

liquidtmd

Banned
These sorts of things don't leak from Sega. Without a doubt, everything that was Sonic Xtreme is long gone at Sega.

These sorts of leaks come from former employees who held on to old computers after they left the company. People dig around their old harddrives and find crazy stuff. That's how Ecco the Dolphin 2 for the Dreamcast leaked - it was just sitting on the harddrive of a dreamcast development kit, unnoticed for a decade.

You couldnt make it up.

Makes you wonder though - most businesss stipulate in contracts clearly any proprietory material is theres, during and post employment. I know Sega arent the most efficient but still...can we expect some legal guy in 5 years to turn round and say 'Heeeeyy wait a minute. We pulled X-Treme right?'

Krejlooc

Banned
I like how one little story about PD Saga means ONLY Sega EVER dumped source code they didn't feel they needed.

Every game company did it at the time. Why would you keep your source codes? Nintendo, for example, threw away the source code to Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

It was common practice of the time, for all game companies. Likely every game you can think of from that time had its source code thrown away.

Besides, the source code itself wouldn't be very useful today for PDS. The game was coded in assembly for SH2 processors speaking to the exotic and weird VDPs of the saturn, what useful information could someone pull from that today? The actual game logic stuff isn't complex, most of what made PDS a technical marvel was the saturn-specific code. It'd be much easier to just flat-out remake the game today.

hodgy100

cooljerk on retro has a win 95 setup with an NV1 he can get some footage as soon as he gets hold of the binaries :D, exciting stuff

Platy

Wait .. for some strange windows thing ?

I can't just burn this on a cd and play on a friend's saturn ? =(

Woah this is kind of crazy. I'd love to know more about this engine and the source code but I'm guessing we will only ever see the executable.

SerTapTap

You need access to some very rare hardware to get it running. The NV1 is an extremely rare video card and they go for quite a lump of money. This leaked 2 weeks ago, actually, but they've spent all that time looking for someone with an NV1 to test it out.

Note: Every single NV1 game was eventually patched to work with Direct X, so getting this running on modern-ish hardware might not be out of the question. But for now, if you don't have a Sega PC card, you're SOL.

Oh so it's more of a developer only build not "ready for retail" then? Still glad this is being unearthed, love to see stuff like this preserved.

Krejlooc

Banned
You couldnt make it up.

Makes you wonder though - most businesss stipulate in contracts clearly any proprietory material is theres, during and post employment. I know Sega arent the most efficient but still...can we expect some legal guy in 5 years to turn round and say 'Heeeeyy wait a minute. We pulled X-Treme right?'

Sega themselves are active in the Sonic hacking community. They tend to turn a blind eye to this stuff. No harm no foul, you know?

Only time Sega has put their foot down were the times when, for example, the Sonic Heroes beta leaked before Sonic Heroes was actually released.

I don't think they care about this stuff anymore. When Sonic Generations was in development, for example, they went trying to find the sonic 1 proto that the Sonic Community has been after for decades to see if they could throw it in as a huge thanks to the community, but couldn't find it in their archives. That's why Sonic 1 is included as a freebee - it was intended to instead be a prototype of Sonic 1 included with Generations.

Zaku

It's crazy to think about what games are going to be found in the future.

Still holding out for a working build of RE1.5.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh shit son! This is awesome news. Can't wait to check it out on my Saturn.

Wait, not on Saturn? That's pretty lame. I thought this PC build had been out for quite awhile. That or someone has had the build for a long time.

The PC build has never leaked. The only person who previously had access to it was Chris Senn back when it was actually in development, and Ofer himself, who didn't want to release it.

Still holding out for a working build of RE1.5.

It's in people's hands and coming.

Anth0ny

I don't think they care about this stuff anymore. When Sonic Generations was in development, for example, they went trying to find the sonic 1 proto that the Sonic Community has been after for decades to see if they could throw it in as a huge thanks to the community, but couldn't find it in their archives. That's why Sonic 1 is included as a freebee - it was intended to instead be a prototype of Sonic 1 included with Generations.

Holy fuck how have I never heard this before? That's amazing! Too bad they couldn't find it, though.

Is this the build with the UFOs in Marble Zone? The Sonic 1 proto was always my holy grail of Sonic prototypes (besides Xtreme, of course, which is more of an unreleased game than a prototype), especially after the Nick Arcade Sonic 2 build finally got out.

Oh
My
God

Day is made. I've been looking forward to playing Sonic XTreme since..... 1994 I think it was

Wow, I have 2 Sega Saturns boxed away somewhere and have no idea where they are.

Krejlooc

Banned
Holy fuck how have I never heard this before? That's amazing! Too bad they couldn't find it, though.

Is this the build with the UFOs in Marble Zone? The Sonic 1 proto was always my holy grail of Sonic prototypes (besides Xtreme, of course, which is more of an unreleased game than a prototype), especially after the Nick Arcade Sonic 2 build finally got out.

No, this would be the 12 layers of parallax version of Sonic 1 debuted at CES when the game was actually unveiled. This version:

DdV9D6B.jpg

There is evidence Sega still has various Sonic 1 prototypes, though. A mobile phone port in 2003 appears to be built off of a build from a few months before release, as it still includes the rolling ball object that has been deleted in the final build, and it has the sprites for the marble zone UFOs in the marble zone tiles.

That's not the early build we're discussing, though. The build in question was only 1 level, a very early proto greenhill zone. As I said, it featured 12 layers of parallax, both in front and behind Sonic.

Elija2

Wow, can't wait to see some new footage of the game.

I didn't know about this. It would have been sweet if they found the prototype and put that in instead. Yet another copy of Sonic 1 doesn't really mean much to me. :p

Ty4on

NV1!? Someone find a warehouse full of those. Great time to finally build my retro PC with an NV1, Adlib and a native Glide card :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
When Sonic Generations was in development, for example, they went trying to find the sonic 1 proto that the Sonic Community has been after for decades to see if they could throw it in as a huge thanks to the community, but couldn't find it in their archives. That's why Sonic 1 is included as a freebee - it was intended to instead be a prototype of Sonic 1 included with Generations.
Damn, I was never aware of this. A huge shame they couldn't find it. That would've made for a really interesting unlockable.

The PC build has never leaked. The only person who previously had access to it was Chris Senn back when it was actually in development, and Ofer himself, who didn't want to release it.

It's in people's hands and coming.
WHOA. Update me bro. This is news.

Josh7289

Wait so how exactly did an engine get leaked for this? I read that Senn didn't have a copy of the engine, but then he did?

No, this would be the 12 layers of parallax version of Sonic 1 debuted at CES when the game was actually unveiled. This version:

DdV9D6B.jpg

There is evidence Sega still has various Sonic 1 prototypes, though. A mobile phone port in 2003 appears to be built off of a build from a few months before release, as it still includes the rolling ball object that has been deleted in the final build, and it has the sprites for the marble zone UFOs in the marble zone tiles.

That's not the early build we're discussing, though. The build in question was only 1 level, a very early proto greenhill zone. As I said, it featured 12 layers of parallax, both in front and behind Sonic.

Oh wow. I think I remember hearing about the whole proto Sonic 1 in Generations, but I didn't know they were thinking of going this far back.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait so how exactly did an engine get leaked for this? I read that Senn didn't have a copy of the engine, but then he did?

Senn had a copy back when they actually worked on the game. He also had a way of getting footage of the game running, likely from Ofer himself.

This leak doesn't come from Senn or Ofer :)

petran79

Banned
Amazing news. For older titles it is the fans who have to take care unfortunately! Looking forward to this development! Good luck!

Sega themselves are active in the Sonic hacking community. They tend to turn a blind eye to this stuff. No harm no foul, you know?

Only time Sega has put their foot down were the times when, for example, the Sonic Heroes beta leaked before Sonic Heroes was actually released.

They did send a C&D to Sonic Fan Remix developers unfortunately. I wouldnt really mind, hadnt that game put their most recent projects to shame....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHOA. Update me bro. This is news.

A 75% build of Biohazard 1.5 leaked a year or so ago. A fan group has been in the process of making new areas to "sting it together" and release. There was a GAF thread about it.

The person behind the leak doesn't have an NV1 card himself, but he's built the binaries and is sending them my way to test on my NV1 card. Hopefully I can post some videos of the game running locally at my place soon enough. This is pretty exciting and essentially the holy grail of the Sonic Community. FINALLY Sonic Xtreme has been unearthed.

You'll have to excuse me, but I'm skeptical until you actually receive the files... until then, I worry that something will magically go wrong and you won't end up getting them. I really hope you get them though. This is really cool and I appreciate all the efforts provided by you and other Sonic fans. I'm not a huge Sonic fan per-say, but this sort of stuff is interesting regardless of the game itself.

Krejlooc

Banned
You'll have to excuse me, but I'm skeptical until you actually receive the files...

Of course you're free to remain skeptical, but I'm one of the oldest members of the Sonic hacking community - been there since 1997 - and, from the channels I'm going through, I'm very confident this is real.

Top Bottom