• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Top 100 2008

Spiegel

jarrod said:
No, Itadaki's separately tracked budget rerelease pushed it to 150k. It only sold 110k versus Itadaki PS2's 380k (also not counting IT's budget rerelease). ;)

Had Skies gotten a budget rerelease, I bet it'd have moved the 6k or so to keep pace. :lol

Itadaki PSP and the budget rerelease are the same game. You can add the Itadaki PS2 rerelease, the ratio would not be much more different

jarrod said:
I don't care either way. You'll also notice where I mentioned Itadaki's PSP sales were okay for what it was?

Yes, I noticed. And after that you quoted me and implied that it was some kind of disappointment.

Horii would be a fool if he was waiting to see the sales of a port of a ps2 board game to decide the fate of the psp support. I think he's smarter than that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pyrokai said:
This makes me so sad :( . If Nintendo's "hardcore" games, as they put it, don't sell, I worry they won't even bother if the money is in their Brain Age and Training games. This is a huge fear of mine. SMG is one of Nintendo's finest works....why hasn't it sold? :(
"Hasn't sold" might be alittle too strong words i think, afterall, SMG has sold neardly 950,000 copies in Japan alone :) It might not be as much as what for example WiiFit or Wii Sports has sold, but i think that 950k is still pretty good :) But i guess i know what you mean though, you wish that SMG would have sold much more in Japan compared to what it has sold because SMG is a really great game :) And based on this, then the game "hasn't sold", correct?

According to Wikipedia, Super Mario Galaxy has sold 6.10 million copies worldwide by March 31, 2008 (nearly 1 year ago). By now it might be maybe at 7-8 million copies sold worldwide, or maybe even more? I think Nintendo made quite alot of money on Super Mario Galaxy, so i would think and hope that Nintendo will still keep on making "hardcore" games :)

Nintendo might be making more money on Brain Age and Training games as you say, i agree, but it think that Nintendo will still keep on making "hardcore" games to be sure that they arent mostly focused on casual games, and to please their fans and of course to make money (even if it isnt as much money as some Brain Age game might have made) :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
hateradio said:
Most all PS fans are RPG fanboys at heart, but where are the RPGs!? Where :'(
(and yes this is hyperbole)

Where?? :/

It is definitely hyperbole, because if it were true Valkyria would have been a large success.

It was one of the best games released in the past 5 years, and it sold like crap.

Thanks PS3 owners.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Itadaki PSP and the budget rerelease are the same game. You can add the Itadaki PS2 rerelease, the ratio would not be much more different
Happen to have Itadaki PS2's Ultimate sales? I can't find them actually? :/

Spiegel said:
Yes, I noticed. And after that you quoted me and implied that it was some kind of disappointment.
Oh come on, I was just counter trolling. And you literally started it. :lol

Spiegel said:
Horii would be a fool if he was waiting to see the sales of a port of a ps2 board game to decide the fate of the psp support. I think he's smarter than that.
I don't think it's unfair to test the waters. If the game had moved 200k+, do you really think we wouldn't have seen more Armor Project titles on PSP? I don't think everything was pinned on Itadaki, but if it'd have done better, I think it wouldn't have been PSP's final Horii effort either.

Honestly, porting Itadaki PS2 likely cost about the same as developing Slime Morimori 2. Both were quickly done, largely asset recycled and outsourced to cheap trusted houses (TOSE Software and Think Garage respectively). Slime just performed better, coming close to matching it's prequel.

16. [PS3] Makai Senki Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi) 93,227
Tracking nerd note: I guess they haven't followed this one since the middle of the year. It's the same as it was in the mid-2008 Top 100.

20. [PS2] Momotarou Dentetsu 15: Godai Bombie Toujou! no Kan, PlayStation 2 the Best (Hudson) 80,197
And here's a stealthy one. From the new Wii/PS3/PS2 lists, this is the only one I didn't have from a previous weekly/half-yearly/yearly list.

jesusraz

bttb said:
[NDS] Densetsu no Starfy: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan (Nintendo) - 126,428
[WII] Biohazard 4: Wii Edition, Best Price! (Capcom) - 40,612
[wII] Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles, Best Price! (Capcom) - 26,549
[WII] Puyo Puyo!, Special Price (Sega) - 22,370
Anyone care to post the updated totals for the RE games, please?

Not a bad showing for Starfy either, considering it wasn't labelled as 'Legend of Starfy 5' as some might have expected, plus started pretty averagely in its first week. I still wish Nintendo would give the series a chance in the West. If Kirby can sell, I'm damn sure Starfy could...

jesusraz said:

[...]
WII - Resident Evil 4 136.344
WII - Resident Evil 4 (Best Price!) 40.612

=> Total: 176.956

WII - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles 273.391
WII - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Best Price!) 26.549

=> Total: 299.940

jesusraz said:

Not a bad showing for Starfy either, considering it wasn't labelled as 'Legend of Starfy 5' as some might have expected, plus started pretty averagely in its first week. I still wish Nintendo would give the series a chance in the West. If Kirby can sell, I'm damn sure Starfy could...

Starfi dropped pretty hard though. The first one did more than 400k. I guess the games being very similar hurt the series.
I don't understand either why NoA/NoE doesn't localize the games. They had their second chance with Starfi 4 but missed it.
I'm playing through it now btw. It deserves a chance in the NA/EU.

jesusraz

Allan Holdsworth said:
Starfi dropped pretty hard though. The first one did more than 400k. I guess the games being very similar hurt the series.
I don't understand either why NoA/NoE doesn't localize the games. They had their second chance with Starfi 4 but missed it.
I'm playing through it now btw. It deserves a chance in the NA/EU.
Yeah, first two did very well, then three took a bit of a dive. I thought number 4 would rebound, being on DS, but it seemed to flag. This latest one has done almost as much as 4, though, hasn't it? Oh, and I agree, it's still a very enjoyable game that should definitely be picked up...

Captain Smoker said:
WII - Resident Evil 4 136.344
WII - Resident Evil 4 (Best Price!) 40.612

=> Total: 176.956

WII - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles 273.391
WII - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Best Price!) 26.549

=> Total: 299.940
Looks good to me - cheers :) I guess there will be a Best 2000 release as well in the future, right?

Top Bottom