• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief will have a mode with online component

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Game Informer said:
Eidos Guy 1: So, the question is are we going to have multiplayer? Is that the question?

Game Informer: Yeah, either co-op or some kind of multiplayer, or some other kind of multiplayer.

Eidos Guy 1: Okay, so let's say to, very short answer, the answer is no, uh, competitive multiplayer let's say. Umm... it's uh, the challenge is already uh, it's really demanding just to bring back this franchise and respect the franchise. There is a lot of passion in the uh, in the fans. They are, they are, you know, they know what they want to see. Just to make sure we respect the uh, the, the Thief franchise, it's uh, it's a big job by itself, so no multiplayer competitive multiplayer. That said, we plan to have mode with online component to uh, you know, give you another, another view of what can be Thief, but uh, it's not, but again it's not the big big multiplayer competition multiplayer.

Eidos Guy 2: As he said, our focus is on the singleplayer and we want to give the best experience possible, and focus our energy there.

Eidos Guy 1: Yes.
Source: http://media1.gameinformer.com/media/audio/theshow/thiefspecial/thiefspecial.mp3

AJ_Wings

I thought I heard component in that interview, not co-op... huh.

Edit: Yup, I'm pretty sure he said component. @17:55-18:10

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Co-op could be very interesting. I hope they discuss it in more detail soon.

I thought the co-op mission in both Chaos Theory and Conviction were really fun. I think Blacklist has a co-op mode also. As long as it's done well, I'm all for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Im very interested in coop mode. MP not so much.

Honestly I think co-op makes a lot more sense than competitive for games if you can't compete in the upper echelon.

Co-op is kind of like a campaign in that you can make it unique to your product much more easily.

Has there been any evidence (teaser clips, developer interviews, etc) that the "Thief experience" is being diluted or are people just getting worried like they did before Deus Ex: HR was released?

SJRB

Gold Member
Sure, why not? It could actually be really cool to sneak through a place with a buddy.

Eusis

Honestly I think co-op makes a lot more sense than competitive for games if you can't compete in the upper echelon.

Co-op is kind of like a campaign in that you can make it unique to your product much more easily.
It's even better if these are special co-op stages, much like Portal 2's. There really IS potential for co-op stealth, IE one serving as a distraction or creating a diversion, and it's slow paced enough you could form REAL strategies here I think.

Suairyu

Banned
It's even better if these are special co-op stages, much like Portal 2's. There really IS potential for co-op stealth, IE one serving as a distraction or creating a diversion, and it's slow paced enough you could form REAL strategies here I think.
Indeed, though we're yet to see any such thing delivered in a game that has a level of organic complexity as Thief.

So nobody here has any reason whatsoever to think this will turn out good, or rather, to a level of quality worthy of the series.

Care to elaborate? Deniable Ops was the only enjoyable aspect of Conviction.

Conviction is not very good in general but the co-op is literally segments from the game with two spawned players instead of one (and doors/switches that take two people to activate). There is zero effort put into it. You can literally chain both of your "I win buttons" (EMP items, melee, instant headshot combo) through the majority of the co-op "campaign" (because these overpowered items respawn at checkpoints). It is not very interesting, even less so than the main campaign. Unless you value just having two people in the same game over anything else.

Derrick01

Banned
Co op in a pure stealth game? That's like having co op in a pure horror game. Fucking stupid.

edit: Oh I forgot this won't be a pure stealth game. Carry on then I guess.

Cels

Co op in a pure stealth game? That's like having co op in a pure horror game. Fucking stupid.

sadly, this never was intended to be nor will it be the Thief game we loved and grew up with

Derrick01

Banned
Conviction is not very good in general but the co-op is literally segments from the game with two spawned players instead of one (and doors/switches that take two people to activate). There is zero effort put into it. You can literally chain both of your "I win buttons" (EMP items, melee, instant headshot combo) through the majority of the co-op "campaign" (because these overpowered items respawn at checkpoints). It is not very interesting, even less so than the main campaign. Unless you value just having two people in the same game over anything else.

Yeah I don't understand what was so special about conviction's co op either. Me and my friend just spent most of the time silent headshotting guards with our pistols and then we'd use our gadgets in some spots. That's all there was to it, it was boring as hell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I slowed it down a ton and he's either adding syllables to the word component or trying to say co-op in it, so I added the ambiguity to the title.

Tagg9

I slowed it down a ton and he's either adding syllables to the word component or trying to say co-op in it, so I added the ambiguity to the title.

I just listened, and IMO it is definitely "component". It's his accent that is the issue.

I heard comp-onent myself..

They did explicitly say that multiplayer will not be competitive... maybe they're thinking something along the lines of a dark souls type online component where you can help other players during the single player experience... that would be cool.

Kouichi

Care to elaborate? I understand how co-op kills survival horror, but how does sneaking through a mansion with another person kill the stealth?

Competitive Stealth would be so much more interesting.

Sneak into a building; racing the other person but also trying to cause them difficulty.

Every single game should have story mode coop as an option, including stealth and horror games. It is selfish to try to keep it out of games just because you don't care for it when it is kept entirely to being an option.

The only time it becomes an actual issue is when the game is built in a way that it requires a single person to use an AI partner ala recent resident evil games but that is the fault of a stupid development choice not because coop existed in the game.

There is not a single game I wouldn't get more enjoyment out of doing the story with a friend, but because barely any games have story mode coop I can barely ever enjoy that whereas people wanting to play single player have that option for practically every single game with a story campaign.

Top Bottom