• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

StayDead

The only things I'm seriously missing in this is a) the multibomb powerup (to drop lots in a line) and b) the different bomb types in multiplayer.

Other than that I'd say this is a damned solid bomberman game. If they added the Animals from Superbomberman 3+ though it'd be even better.

Unicorn

Wish there was a demo. $50 too much to wager given the last time I played was a GB iteration that had different powerups (I think? I definitely had a whip to whip bombs away).

256px-Bomberman_GB.jpg

This one!

3DShovel

Uhhh. Jumped into the online and started moving.

This feels legitimately terrible. It's fun when played locally with friends, but the lag is some serious NOPE-factor. When you can't even move consistently, you know you have bad net code.

Uhhh. Jumped into the online and started moving.

This feels legitimately terrible. It's fun when played locally with friends, but the lag is some serious NOPE-factor. When you can't even move consistently, you know you have bad net code.

Did you go into options and prefer players with a good connection?

galvatron

After this last patch, I see myself keeping this game in my rotation for a long time.

Feel free to add me:
FC: SW-7186-9301-7715

The only things I'm seriously missing in this is a) the multibomb powerup (to drop lots in a line) and b) the different bomb types in multiplayer.

Other than that I'd say this is a damned solid bomberman game. If they added the Animals from Superbomberman 3+ though it'd be even better.

You mean like the spiked bomb and the bouncy one? These are present on specific stages (at least the volcano one has the bouncy bomb).

If you mean boss bombs these are most definitely present too, you just have to press B instead of A when using them (and the option to use them has to be on, but it's on by default so...)

Seik

Banned
Did five matches tonight, all great connections.

Lost four, got demoted to Baby League B.

I'm traaaaash, definitely not my day. ;_;

StayDead

You mean like the spiked bomb and the bouncy one? These are present on specific stages (at least the volcano one has the bouncy bomb).

If you mean boss bombs these are most definitely present too, you just have to press B instead of A when using them (and the option to use them has to be on, but it's on by default so...)

Wow, I had no idea.

Ozium

4 player game, 2 ppl left alive, one of them has already won a round..

why the hell does everyone but me apparently go after the guy who hasn't won a round instead of the guy who has?

I really wish there was a manual digital or physical that explained what all the items do. For instance I get blue bombs so infrequently I haven't been able to learn what it is they do let alone the other types mentioned above that I haven't encountered at all.

The digital manual in the main menu didn't help any.

Wow, I had no idea.

They're always turned off in Ranked Online though! (and maybe Free Battle Online too but I'm not sure)

I really wish there was a manual digital or physical that explained what all the items do. For instance I get blue bombs so infrequently I haven't been able to learn what it is they do let alone the other types mentioned above that I haven't encountered at all.

Spiked Bombs make explosions go through blocks. Blue Bombs bounce back and forth when you kick them and go all around randomly when you throw them. These are actually classic bomb types but yeah I get that it might be confusing for someone who never saw them

They're always turned off in Ranked Online though! (and maybe Free Battle Online too but I'm not sure)

Spiked Bombs make explosions go through blocks. Blue Bombs bounce back and forth when you kick them and go all around randomly when you throw them. These are actually classic bomb types but yeah I get that it might be confusing for someone who never saw them

Interesting! That's helpful, thank you :)

dannie

Go other>>controls, page 4 to 7 have each item detail information

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm looking for a good Bomberman retrospective out there if anyone knows of anything...

Don't know a good video! but I read up on the series not long ago. As an owner of at least half a dozen Bomberman games since the Turbografx, I was shocked to realize there are more than 80 different game releases in the franchise.

Anyone know what the alternate (special in Japanese) versions of the stages you can buy for 2500 do?

Literally nothing at all. They're copies of the normal stages except they've changed the lighting and given it a background instead of the wooden planking or whatever is on the 'non-special' ones :p

Whoever designed it so we'd have to buy 'special' versions of the stages just to give them a slightly less crap background needs to seriously rethink their design career.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I was reading your post and was just about to say "KANGAROOS!", but you're ok. You may continue.

How do I get back to the world selection screen if I don't want to continue with the world I'm playing? If I quit it loads the same level. Is there some way to go back to world selection or do I select a new game or am I going to lose progress or something?

Don't know a good video! but I read up on the series not long ago. As an owner of at least half a dozen Bomberman games since the Turbografx, I was shocked to realize there are more than 80 different game releases in the franchise.

I started reading up on it last night before bed and it is certainly crazy how many iterations there have been. I also looked up Saturn Bomberman as it seems to be most people's pick for best in the franchise, looks like it had alot of character and 10 player multiplayer is pretty cool.

I did not, I'll give it a try tonight.

It certainly makes some of the wait times a little long for me and it doesn't always get players with great connections but in my experience so far it gets me lag free games most of the time. Hope it works for you.

Sciz

How do I get back to the world selection screen if I don't want to continue with the world I'm playing? If I quit it loads the same level. Is there some way to go back to world selection or do I select a new game or am I going to lose progress or something?

Getting a game over should do it.

I'm having fun with this, pretty classic Bomberman. Only a few complaints.

1. Online is too laggy, and I still get matched with God League people even when I'm Baby League. Makes it hard to have fun or earn any BP.
2. Buying stages requires tons of BP, and the only way to get it seems to be laggy online matches and story mode. Just let me earn BP playing local matches with bots!
3. No level with conveyer belts. Pls fix.

Neiteio

This game looked so simple in preview videos, but I still can't beat World 1 of Story Mode on the default difficulty of Veteran. After trying four times (and making it to the boss on one of those tries), I bumped it down to Beginner and got farther, faster. But it's still a decent challenge.

I'm not complaining, though. I love it! And the first world looks beautiful, with great music to boot. Really pleasantly surprised by this game. It's as fun as I remember Bomberman being back in the N64 days. Feels like he hasn't skipped a beat.

fernoca

Barely starting this...you only earn gems in story mode?

I played a few matches with a friend locally and got nothing. And would rather save to buy characters (like the upcoming ones) with them.

At least he enjoyed it. Had a blast. Was his first time playing a Bomberman game.

The game saves your progress once you enter a world and there's no apparent option to escape from a world in progress, so as Sciz says: game over is your only exit option :p

I thought you just had to beat story mode to unlock the bosses for purchase. Is this another character unlocked differently?
Yup, get 3 stars on all worlds on any one difficulty to unlock pretty bomber.

Oh god. I just brought a stage.
I thought the levels were expensive at 4k, then I saw the dastardly bombers cost 5k.
I thought the dastardly bombers were expensive at 5k, then I saw pretty bomber costs 30k :p

Is there a good way to farm for gems in this..? I saw some talk of the final boss but I just beat him for the first time and got a measly 380 on veteran... The other bosses gave far more?

These shop unlocks cost a stupid amount of gems. Have earned enough for one new stage and that's about it.

Fiendcode

Is there a good way to farm for gems in this..? I saw some talk of the final boss but I just beat him for the first time and got a measly 380 on veteran... The other bosses gave far more?

These shop unlocks cost a stupid amount of gems. Have earned enough for one new stage and that's about it.
Gems you earn are based on performance: how many powerups you have (and they stack beyond the max amount so keep grabbing upgrades), how many lives you have (don't die!) and how many continues you've used (any reduces the amount a TON). The point values are higher on higher difficulty as well.

Cuburt

Beat the story mode on Veteran.

The game was fun but I really didn't care for many of the levels with the spawners and the boss fights were a mixed bag. The big boss segments seemed like they would be fun like a puzzle but ended up feeling more tedious due to the controls/mechanics. I appreciate that they attempted to do something unique with the same old mechanics but some of those bosses felt pretty frustrating even when I'd realize what I was supposed to actually do.

Gems you earn are based on performance: how many powerups you have (and they stack beyond the max amount so keep grabbing upgrades), how many lives you have (don't die!) and how many continues you've used (any reduces the amount a TON). The point values are higher on higher difficulty as well.

That explains a lot... I definitely had to continue and also used some lives after that. Guess I'll have to bump it down to beginner (or just get good haha)

StayDead

The game saves your progress once you enter a world and there's no apparent option to escape from a world in progress, so as Sciz says: game over is your only exit option :p

Yup, get 3 stars on all worlds on any one difficulty to unlock pretty bomber.

I thought the levels were expensive at 4k, then I saw the dastardly bombers cost 5k.
I thought the dastardly bombers were expensive at 5k, then I saw pretty bomber costs 30k :p

tumblr_n8y0p7Rpgp1s5f9ado1_500.gif

Noooooo!

played online for the first time and finally I won a game after an hour or so.
is there somewhere a bomberman guide for a scrub like me?

XD
Jojo's grinding adventure :p

played online for the first time and finally I won a game after an hour or so.
is there somewhere a bomberman guide for a scrub like me?
I don't know any guides myself but here's a few notes onhow I play:
  • Focus more on staying alive than getting the kill. Most players in bomberman can be relied on to kill themselves by accident given sufficient time and if someone can't kill you then they can't win. It's all about being able to spot the safe spot to stand in when everything explodes :p
  • Punch is your highest priority powerup. Go out of your way to get it because it'll help you escape situations that would otherwise be lethal. If you can't get it or already have it, make sure to deny your opponents it when possible.
  • A common mistake I see is players without punch going down a straight dead-end to pick up a powerup while an opponent is nearby, at which point said opponent will lay a bomb at the point the player went in leaving them trapped and dead. Look out for opportunities to do this to other players too though :3
  • At the beginning of a match glance over to the people at the other corners to see if they find a glove or a punch as the first thing they'll do if they find one is lob death your way :eek:
  • If your opponent doesn't have kick or punch you can often kill them by running through them while planting bombs, trapping them between the one in front of them and the one you lay behind after going through. Just be aware that they might try to lay a bomb to block you from going through. Likewise if you're the one without punch, don't let your opponent get near you, drop a bomb to block their movement if they try (you can stand behind your bomb to stop them kicking it too if they have kick :3)

• Focus more on staying alive than getting the kill. Most players in bomberman can be relied on to kill themselves by accident given sufficient time and if someone can't kill you then they can't win. It's all about being able to spot the safe spot to stand in when everything explodes :p
yep, this is very true. I already threw a couple of games by killing myself.
thanks for the advices.

Top Bottom