• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

LordAlu

Had some great games with GAF yesterday. No chicken dinners but it was huge fun all the same. I'll be on this evening (UK) time for some more games if anyone's about :)

Did a quick search and didn't see anything. Has there been official word on spectating in the solo queue? It's a hell of a bummer to get to the top 10 and not be able to see how the final couple minutes play out.

red731

This is awesome. Can't wait to watch!

Lirik and Shorty? Summit and Sacriel? Dam son

Ever since I started the Battle Royale game mode back in Arma 2, I have always wanted to use my game mode to help those in need when possible. Back in Arma 3 I held two charity events in support of Extra Life, and with the tremendous support of the community and streamers we raised over $70,000 for the kids!

Today, I am delighted to announce we will be continuing to help those that need it with PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, and are hosting our first charity invitational next week, on Thursday May 4th. We have chosen Gamers Outreach as our first charity, as the work they do to provide equipment, technology, and software to help kids cope with treatment inside hospitals is something I think is well worth supporting.

For the event, we will be hosting 128 streamers from both NA & EU. We have split the event into two sessions, with 64 players from EU taking to the battlegrounds in the first 3 matches, and then 64 players from NA rounding out the event for the final 3 matches. We will have more information on the exact timings and match format early next week. We are splitting up the regions to ensure all participants can play on servers with the least ping possible, and to ensure as fair a match as possible for all involved.

We will be running DUOS mode only for the event, with 32 teams per region. Each region will play 3 matches, with the winners chosen from those that have the highest overall placement from all 3 rounds. We will be announcing the participants daily, right up until the event on May 4th! I would also ask you to understand that we could not invite everyone that streams BATTLEGROUNDS to this event, and that we had to focus on those streamers with larger communities and those that have supported our game over the past 10 months.

Thank you for your attention,

PLAYERUNKNOWN

Somnia

Summit is from US and Sacriel is from UK, they won't compete in same regional ladders. Not surprised if Sacriel teams up with BreaK.

Summit and JoshOG will most likely team up. Sacriel will most likely team up with BreaK for sure.

I'm curious to see who Viss teams up with.

I'm placing top 10 in every round lately and I placed #2 like four times yesterday but I just can't seem to nail that last 1v1 kill. I always get anxious and fuck up, lmao

Last night, I played a game where the last circle cut straight through a multi-story apartment complex, the four of us left alive were all holed up on different levels, and you couldn't get to the stairs without cutting through the blue zone. I got shotgunned by the first person brave enough to move :/

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Vinny's killer
YbFvfwW.gif

Haha

Is it just me or do gunshots sound terrible as far as range/location is concerned? I don't know if they changed things or what, but I have been having the hardest time trying to pinpoint where somebody is shooting me from. It sounds like they're shooting me in surround sound in the sense that you can't identify which direction is louder.

Akronis

Is it just me or do gunshots sound terrible as far as range/location is concerned? I don't know if they changed things or what, but I have been having the hardest time trying to pinpoint where somebody is shooting me from. It sounds like they're shooting me in surround sound in the sense that you can't identify which direction is louder.

I haven't had any issues identifying sound locations. What audio device and what headphones?

markwaters

Neo Member

I had a hell of a time getting used to after learning to use sound in games like Counter-Strike.

The biggest thing is that distance plays a huge part in how shots fired at you sound. If they're relatively close, you'll hear the gunshot, then the "whizz" past your head. If they're relatively far, you'll hear the whizz and then the gunshot. If you're having trouble with directionality, then it might just be your personal sound setup. With a basic stereo "gaming" headset (Kingston HyperX Cloud), I have no issues with directionality.

jediyoshi

For reference, silenced shots are deliberately obscured, they're meant to have a wide, ambiguous origin. The other part of it is that this game simulates much more mechnically sound-wise than other games.

https://www.playbattlegrounds.com/news/65.pu

Gunshot Sound

Each gunshot sound you hear in game has propagation delay based on distance between source and the listener
The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second
If gunshot is fired from indoor or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), the reverb effect and LPF are applied to the sound effect
Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect

Bullet crack effect (or bullet bow shockwave) is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in a closest point on bullet trajectory line.
Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack just in your left headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you, or behind you

audio_1490788109941.jpg

Most of our weapons are supersonic. This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot
In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:

1. You see the muzzle flash
2. After ~1 sec you hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag)
3. After ~3 sec you hear the gunshot

Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound, the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect
We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). The close gunshot sounds louder and more clear than the distant one

In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.

SamuraiX-

This is awesome. Can't wait to watch!

Lirik and Shorty? Summit and Sacriel? Dam son

Yeah I'm incredibly hyped for this. Moreso than H1Z1 invitationals just because I think the pace of PUBG lends itself a lot better to an observable tournament where the looting, tactics, strats, etc. provide a lot more opportunity for interesting commentary that can actually translate well to an audience who will have time to process what's happening on the screen.

The talent and knowledge of the casting crew will be key. Hope summit and Ninja will be there!

I haven't had any issues identifying sound locations. What audio device and what headphones?
Just a stand two speaker pair alongside my monitors. Maybe I'm just hard at hearing or something of the sort. In one scenario I was standing on the roof of one of the apartment buildings at the military base and I started hearing somebody shoot at me and took some damage. I couldn't figure out which direction they were shooting from because it sounded loud like they were shooting directly above or beneath me, which wasn't possible since nobody was standing on the roof.

Chumley

Banned
Just a stand two speaker pair alongside my monitors. Maybe I'm just hard at hearing or something of the sort. In one scenario I was standing on the roof of one of the apartment buildings at the military base and I started hearing somebody shoot at me and took some damage. I couldn't figure out which direction they were shooting from because it sounded loud like they were shooting directly above or beneath me, which wasn't possible since nobody was standing on the roof.

Headphones are basically mandatory with this game, never played anything else in my life where hearing distance and direction of cars, footsteps, and gunfire was so important. Two speakers won't cut it.

OneUh8

Wait, not to be harsh, but you really just complained about positional audio and you are using two pc speakers for audio?

arimanius

I can't kill anyone since the patch. Hitting them multiple times and getting the blood splatter but they just turn around and quickly. Hit one guy 4 times with an Uzi in the chest at the beginning of a match when he was rushing me with a tire iron. He killed me with one shot to the head. Not sure how he survived the shots. He had no armor.

SamuraiX-

I can't kill anyone since the patch. Hitting them multiple times and getting the blood splatter but they just turn around and quickly. Hit one guy 4 times with an Uzi in the chest at the beginning of a match when he was rushing me with a tire iron. He killed me with one shot to the head. Not sure how he survived the shots. He had no armor.

Supposedly a single Uzi shot to the chest (no armor) will do exactly 23 points of damage. Unfortunately, that would mean you did a total of 92 points of damage to your target and he probably only had a sliver of health left. :-/

Tovarisc

I have a terrible habit of shooting while in third person. Why does it have to be so inaccurate? :(

Hold down RMB and depending on distance it isn't that bad. Single fired and burst fired AR's are decent to mid-ish range.

Still with anything, but shotguns ADS is preferred.

AcridMeat

Banned
I've won rounds with music playing
have a 2.1 system
. Y'all are probably too tense for your own good.
You can run over to loot and just hit tab, it'll open your inventory and like DayZ show anything nearby. You can also easily tell what is loot as it glows yellow.
That's uh...not what I was talking about.

Burt

Probably the most infuriating game I've played. Was going spectacularly till the last second. Yeah, I cheesed my first kill with a first aid kit, but I also killed 4 of the last 8, including a blind grenade throw that I couldn't see the arc of through a bush and a smooth as hell peek out on someone who knew exactly where I was.

So then I'm sitting on the inside of the broken wall corner right there, in front of that dumpster, facing out watching the circle tighten for the last time. I realize that the only place the other guy could be is right next to me on the other side of the wall to my right, so I do some waiting, and then throw out some random crouch steps to bait him. Wait to hear him start running, pop out preemptively, and catch him looking at the corner where I just was.

Aw yiss, he's lined up perfect, first chicken dinner.

I put 4 M416 shots into him. Four red puffs. Before I can get off the fifth, he turns and puts on bullet into me with a Vector. Game over. So much for a level 3 vest and level 2 helmet.

God dammit.

Salty Hippo

Giant Bomb has really sold me on this game. The only problem is I have no one to play with, all my friends are on console. Is it even possible for me to play with you guys when I live in Brazil? Or will there be too much lag?

Skyzard

Banned
Giant Bomb has really sold me on this game. The only problem is I have no one to play with, all my friends are on console. Is it even possible for me to play with you guys when I live in Brazil? Or will there be too much lag?

I just jump in discord and join one of the squads or ask if people want to play there, it's fairly active.

I played some matches on US servers from the UK and it didn't seem too different from EU servers. Though it's a bit janky like that anyway.

Great game though, mic really helps.

Burt

Is there a way to switch which shoulder your camera is over? If you're going to have third-person peeking be so strong, it's pretty absurd to have one side have such an advantage over the other.

Definitely hit up our Discord. Everyone there is really nice, helpful, and willing to run games pretty often. We got a nice lil community here on GAF.

Pachimari

How do I make it so that it is not so blurry/pixelated in the distance?

I'm running the game in windowed borderless mode and with anti-aliasing on low. Would it help if I ran it in full-screen downsampled to 4K or turning on the anti-aliasing to ultra? I tried both actually, and didn't find it to help much. I also hate not playing in borderless windowed mode.

Jerry

How do I make it so that it is not so blurry/pixelated in the distance?

I'm running the game in windowed borderless mode and with anti-aliasing on low. Would it help if I ran it in full-screen downsampled to 4K or turning on the anti-aliasing to ultra? I tried both actually, and didn't find it to help much. I also hate not playing in borderless windowed mode.

Borderless windowed for me locks the game at 23fps, how have you got it running faster than that?

Corven

I like the look of the foggy map, although it is to bad that it looks like there is still a wide range of visibility.

I kinda hope they will do a map (or one is modded in later) that has silent hill levels of fog density so it would change the weapon dynamic from long range AR and sniper gunplay to close to medium with pistols, smg's and shotguns.

TheRed

Ugggh wtff.. I've gotten second place in solo like 6 times and never fucking win. They always get the slightly better position and luck is never on my side. It's really pissing me off lol.
Not to mention all of the other top 10s I've gotten. It's just frustrating to see how much luck some people get wins with, I want some of that. The last 1v1s I get are always against a really skilled mofo.

Love the game, but shit I want at least 1 win.

Top Bottom