• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Nert

Watching other people play the Heart of the Swarm beta has rekindled my interest in this game. The new units seem well designed and, for the most part, like they reward more skilled play (a lot of activated abilities, more of an emphasis on positioning for things like Widow Mines and Swarm Hosts, etc.). If nothing else, I think I'm going to pick this up as a spectator sport again.

Haunted

only four hours until we find out:

iem_cebit_sc2_groups-720x405.jpg
Nerchio, Parting and Lucifron, should be a good group.

I'm sure I'll love the single player but as a Terran player I feel conflicted about the MP.

Sure the Widow Mine is fun to use and the Terran units that have changed aka Reaper, Tanks and Medivac with the Raven having some minor tweaks.

The Hellbats are nice as well but they are just Hellions transformed into Firebats.

So I feel kinda shortchanged as a Terran since we only get 1 "new" unit.

I feel that WM doesn't help with the ridiculous Ultralisk damage of 35 vs all.

Toss air is pretty dangerous these days too.

I think that the Terran factory need to be looked at some more by Blizzard as pros get used to the Widow Mines and since the Hellbat comes so late that it doesn't even matter by then.

I might end up being wrong but we will see.

Still excited for the games. We might get another unit who knows?

calder

Very excited. Since the beta I found WoL too dull to play or watch, but most of the people I play online with casually were still in WoL so it was always annoying deciding what to play.

is there any good replays of swarm host being used effectively in games? i've watched a bunch and only seen vipers being used for the most part. how good is the unit?

i miss lurkers

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I was platinum protoss like a week after WoL came out. Are void Rays still viable? PLease say yes or I will cry.

calder

I was platinum protoss like a week after WoL came out. Are void Rays still viable? PLease say yes or I will cry.

Very much so, if you're capable of moderate micro voids just melt anything armored. Just avoid marines or hydras and burn down expos/mech/armored units like it's nothing.

Oh man VR are more irritating than ever. Their new ability is kinda broken, I expect it to get nerfed soon after launch actually.

Its called Prismatic Alignment and it does bonus vs Armor which is terrible when you are trying to prevent Zealots and Stalker from coming up your base with Bunkers and the VRs take them out. Thankfully Widow mines help but their reload time is horrible.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well now I am getting excited. Any word on the length of the campaign compared to WoL? How much Blizzard CG are we getting?

Vaporak

How is the competitive scene doing? I've seen random posts about it dying out compared to LoL and DOTA.

Viewership has been fine, but a lot of grumbling about zerg and their boring play style dominating the pro scene. LoL has more viewership these days though, but "dying" comments are just people being fanboys.

Into

Other than wanting the actual game, i also really want the blade wings for Diablo 3, so might go that route also the Baneling pet is the only pet id ever want in WoW, even tough i sorta dont play that game anymore.

Pretty hyped

If anyone here wants coaching or a quick "bring me back up speed" for SC2 multiplayer, than feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'm masters Protoss, but I'm relatively diamond level in terms of skill for Terran and Zerg.

Wedge7

I'm most excited about all my buddies joining up again with the expansion. They all sorta lost interest in vanilla after a few months

profit

For those on EU I've also created a neoGAF group/clan so you can join that anytime you want.

Edit:

Yoink!
iv7m32YBeBJXW.png

I know there's a list of new units in the OP, but is there a quick guide to all the other new changes for the races as they are currently/will be for launch?

Majine

Banned
Yep, but the game will have global play when HOTS hits (WoL already has it technically). So you or anybody on other servers can join up if they want to. (Mostly for gaf nights.)

Really? I tried searching for Huskys group, but couldn't find it in EU region, for that reason.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
so no good examples of Swarm host gameplay from real players? how effective are they?

In like 2 hours the first major Heart of the Swarm tourny starts so maybe there! But I cant honestly show you that much footage because I kinda ignored most of HotS beta tournys

Really? I tried searching for Huskys group, but couldn't find it in EU region, for that reason.

By "Global play" I mean you have access to every server now. Each server is still different.

here is the workaround to do it in WoL

Open notepad and paste the following code:

<regions>
<region displayname=&#8221;AUTHENTICATION_SG_REGION&#8221; hostname=&#8221;sg&#8221;
allowedProductLocales=&#8221;all&#8221; localesThatDefaultToThisRegion=&#8221;enSG&#8221;/>
<region displayname=&#8221;AUTHENTICATION_US_REGION&#8221; hostname=&#8221;us&#8221;
allowedProductLocales=&#8221;all&#8221; localesThatDefaultToThisRegion=&#8221;enUS&#8221;/>
<region displayname=&#8221;AUTHENTICATION_EU_REGION&#8221; hostname=&#8221;eu&#8221;
allowedProductLocales=&#8221;all&#8221; localesThatDefaultToThisRegion=&#8221;enGB&#8221;/>
<region displayname=&#8221;AUTHENTICATION_KR_REGION&#8221; hostname=&#8221;kr&#8221;
allowedProductLocales=&#8221;all&#8221; localesThatDefaultToThisRegion=&#8221;koKR&#8221;/>
</regions>

Name the file: &#8220;regions.xml&#8221; (Not &#8220;regions.xml.txt&#8221;) and save it in your StarCraft II folder (the folder that contains your StarCraftII.exe &#8211; Usually Program Files/&#8230;)

IMPORTANT: A &#8220;Region&#8221; button will appear on the StarCraftII log in screen. However, it only appears on the first screen &#8211; the one where you&#8217;re asked to type in your email adress. If your SCII is set to remember the account, and only ask you to type in your password, you have to click the arrow on the right side of the log in box to go back to the first screen. Wait a little bit and the button will pop up. Also, you might have to restart the game.

If you need more help feel free to pm me.

Did they really not put lurkers back in? Fuck off blizzard.

I'll go on a limb here and say swarm hosts are more fun to use than lurkers and more zerg like of a unit.

Top Bottom