• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

Everything I've read and seen about this makes it seem massively worse than the original. I hope impressions in this thread can prove me wrong.

The reticle change alone seems really really bad. It was extremely awkward and poor in the base game and does not look like it's much improved. It seems like a jankier version of Elder Scrolls Online combat which is already on the lower end of mediocre

cj_iwakura

One of the reason is dropped the OG game was i found out i was gimping myself after putting in 15 hours. The ability setup was too esoteric

Once I found a good path of progression in swords/elementals, I had no reason to look back. I pretty much broke the game, but I'm still mired in Transylvania.

The game has fantastic lore and production value, but it falls victim to the repetitive MMO quest thing. But some of the best stories are in the quests, so...

And yeah, I'm in the camp that isn't a fan of the changes. I just hope I can keep playing the original.

Templar here by the way. You can't go wrong with a faction that lets the cats dominate their haven.

Psyfer

So I picked the Blood Magic/Assault Rifle starting class, but I hate the assault rifle. Any suggestions for another weapon that fits a healer/support character?

Everything I've read and seen about this makes it seem massively worse than the original. I hope impressions in this thread can prove me wrong.

The reticle change alone seems really really bad. It was extremely awkward and poor in the base game and does not look like it's much improved. It seems like a jankier version of Elder Scrolls Online combat which is already on the lower end of mediocre

The reticle combat has improved a lot compared to the base game and the animations also are a lot better. I'm liking the combat a lot more to be honest. Curious to see if it holds up in dungeons.

You are right though that the combat is more similar to Elder Scrolls Online now. Funcom should try to make work of official controller support. I just set up an xpadder profile myself and it works pretty well.

And yeah, I'm in the camp that isn't a fan of the changes. I just hope I can keep playing the original.

That's your choice of course, just remember that the old game will not receive any new updates. The story of season 1 has concluded after the events at Orochi Tower and Funcom has said they will start with a new season after the launch of SWL.

So I picked the Blood Magic/Assault Rifle starting class, but I hate the assault rifle. Any suggestions for another weapon that fits a healer/support character?

Fists are also a healing weapon.

Ascheroth

Download should be finished soon, curious about the changes.

Anyway, faction choice, gah. I can never decide. Last time I played Dragon (only the first area though, then they announced Legends).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Download should be finished soon, curious about the changes.

Anyway, faction choice, gah. I can never decide. Last time I played Dragon (only the first area though, then they announced Legends).

I know I gotta go Templar again for Dame Julia

Edit: That "Minimal" Download option, bless you, Funcom.

So yea, I did the transfer...Very eager to try it out. The combat systems, loot systems were the major issues I had with this game.

I don't recall, but if I did the transfer, I can still play with my old TSW character if I want, right?

Truant

Is this a FFXIV level reboot? I loved TSW back in the day, but I find it unplayable today.

Any comparison videos out?

So yea, I did the transfer...Very eager to try it out. The combat systems, loot systems were the major issues I had with this game.

I don't recall, but if I did the transfer, I can still play with my old TSW character if I want, right?

No, you need to create a new character. You can link your old TSW character to your new SWL character to transfer over costumes and other items though.

Is this a FFXIV level reboot? I loved TSW back in the day, but I find it unplayable today.

Any comparison videos out?

Most changes have happened to combat and character progression. Not a FFXIV level reboot.

Truant

No, you need to create a new character. You can link your old TSW character to your new SWL character to transfer over costumes and other items though.

Most changes have happened to combat and character progression. Not a FFXIV level reboot.

Ah, too bad. The current game just feels super clunky, laggy and dated.

Ascheroth

LMAO
I wanted to name my character Lilith and the game says "Names have to be at least 3 characters long and mustn't contain inappropiate words" (I'm not playing it in english, so this might not be the exact wording.)

Ok cool thanks. Think I may still go Templar then. I love London hub

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Played a little bit of TSW and I enjoyed it for the most part. Considering this is free to play I have no reason not to try it. Do we have a guild/faction for GAF?

StMeph

For some reason after doing the Legacy transfer... almost all of my clothing is here, but suit pants are conspicuously missing?

Mozendo

Anyone having account issues?
I can log into my TSW account just fine, but can't sign into my TSW:L with the same info.
I've tried doing a password reset but nothing happens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my quick first impressions compred to what I remember in the OG:

- its much easier, its basically the Tera transformation where you can solo everything now easily. I remember the game being quite hard especially at first, and now im just melting hordes of zombies with that starting aoe spell from the warlock. I actually dont mind that, but Im sure veterans will. The only challenge I saw was from, lets call it a "elite" mob I found in a diner, but even that was easy, and it was like 3 levels higher than me.

-the skill system is of course very streamlined, but I hated the old system (I like my classes defined) so I like that. That being said, you have 6 slots for skills with like 15 to choose from on each weapon, and that sucks. Is there a way to have multiple skill combintions and switch on the fly, like say I want to hve a healing kit and a dps kit, or do you hve to manually change all your skills on the skill bar? Oh and speaking of weapons...

- do you have to use both weapons? I ask this both for the Og and this one, because I dont want to use guns. I want to use my blood magic thing, because im a magic lady. Magic ladies dont use guns (for me). In fact, I dont want to use anything else besides the blood magic thing, can I just do that? God knows theres plenty of spells and not enough skill slots as it is anyway.

- the rate at which you get AP and SP seems super slow (thats the skill points for your active and passive skills, which are seperate points), and you cn buy them with real money... you can buy skill points with real money. So the game is literally P2W, wtf are they thinking?

Graphics wise it looks about the same, and still runs pretty poorly. Voice acting and presentation is still fantastic. But the skill point thing left a bad taste in my mouth and the game still feels super janky so I dunno, think its a hrd pass for me unfortunately.

Ascheroth

- its much easier, its basically the Tera transformation where you can solo everything now easily. I remember the game being quite hard especially at first, and now im just melting hordes of zombies with that starting aoe spell from the warlock. I actually dont mind that, but Im sure veterans will. The only challenge I saw was from, lets call it a "elite" mob I found in a diner, but even that was easy, and it was like 3 levels higher than me.

-the skill system is of course very streamlined, but I hated the old system (I like my classes defined) so I like that. That being said, you have 6 slots for skills with like 15 to choose from on each weapon, and that sucks. Is there a way to have multiple skill combintions and switch on the fly, like say I want to hve a healing kit and a dps kit, or do you hve to manually change all your skills on the skill bar? Oh and speaking of weapons...

- do you have to use both weapons? I ask this both for the Og and this one, because I dont want to use guns. I want to use my blood magic thing, because im a magic lady. Magic ladies dont use guns (for me). In fact, I dont want to use anything else besides the blood magic thing, can I just do that? God knows theres plenty of spells and not enough skill slots as it is anyway.

- the rate at which you get AP and SP seems super slow (thats the skill points for your active and passive skills, which are seperate points), and you cn buy them with real money... you can buy skill points with real money. So the game is literally P2W, wtf are they thinking?

Graphics wise it looks about the same, and still runs pretty poorly. Voice acting and presentation is still fantastic. But the skill point thing left a bad taste in my mouth and the game still feels super janky so I dunno, think its a hrd pass for me unfortunately.
You can just switch to another weapon instead of guns.
I'm planning on playing Blood/Chaos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can just switch to another weapon instead of guns.
I'm planning on playing Blood/Chaos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

arent they super expensive to buy in the new game? But still, my point stands, I dont want to use 2, I want to use one if thats viable, because its not like you switch weapons, you share the 6 skill limit with both.

edit: oh nvm you said youre "planning" on, not playing on. Yeah weapons are really expensive to buy beyond your starting two.

Yeah it's pretty easy so far. Died once on a quest which was 2 levels higher though and I pulled too many mobs. It seems a bit easier than TSW since the difficulty changes two years ago though. At release of TSW mobs were very difficult and if you pulled more than one at a time you would probably die. Funcom still needs to find some balance between these extremes imo.

Well you have 6 slots for 30 possible skills from the two weapons you equip, sounds okay to me. And yes, you can change on the fly with the deck manager. Which I can't find anywhere lol.

No, you don't have to use two weapons as far as I know. You'll be playing with a suboptimal build though because you won't generate any resources for your second weapon that way. And you can't equip two chaos foci. This is the same as in the original TSW I think. I used a blade/rifle build with blade generating resources for both my weapons. I could solo with a blade but then I would be actively handicapping myself.

Yeah it's not ideal but no changes compared to TSW in that regard. There you could also buy AP and SP. The rate at which you acquire AP/SP seems correct to me so far. Maybe it goes down later? I am level 11 at the moment.

Graphically it looks mostly the same yeah though they have done some work on the shaders. Directx 11 is now also in a playable state. Performance for me is a lot better than in TSW though.

solaaire

Neo Member

Gotta say this bit has me intrigued. Wading through the combat was, by far, my least favorite part of the game. I don't know if I'd consider the original questing combat "hard", just so tedious and repetitive that you might alt+tab and die because you lost interest.

Ascheroth

arent they super expensive to buy in the new game? But still, my point stands, I dont want to use 2, I want to use one if thats viable, because its not like you switch weapons, you share the 6 skill limit with both.

edit: oh nvm you said youre "planning" on, not playing on. Yeah weapons are really expensive to buy beyond your starting two.
Actually, if you have played the normal Secret World you unlock all the weapons for free. Last I heard.

Gotta say this bit has me intrigued. Wading through the combat was, by far, my least favorite part of the game. I don't know if I'd consider the original questing combat "hard", just so tedious and repetitive that you might alt+tab and die because you lost interest.

Depends when you played really. Near release mob density and difficulty was very unforgiving and you had to surgically move and position yourself to avoid pulling half the playfield. Like two years ago Funcom changed the difficulty.

Actually, if you have played the normal Secret World you unlock all the weapons for free. Last I heard.

Yep.

Stiler

Anyone having account issues?
I can log into my TSW account just fine, but can't sign into my TSW:L with the same info.
I've tried doing a password reset but nothing happens.

Same problem here.

TSW account login works fine. Using same user/pass on TSW: Legends doesn't work though.

Just wondering, did you make a TSW: Legends account?

Can you create a new account and then link your old TSW account to it instead of logging in with your old TSW account? I'm ashamed to admit I forgot how I created and linked my account yesterday, lol.

On a side note, Funcom has reacted to criticism from the community for the 1 character slot and everyone who played TSW will now receive 3 character slots in total for free. You can buy up to a maximum of 8 slots.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Aaaand I'm out.

Fuck.

Rhaknar

well, I only played the OG at launch, and it wasnt easy. At all, like Majesty said. apparently they had already nerfed it in the last few years, but I remember struggling against normal zombies, and the firehouse quest being a fucking nightmare to do for example.

Now it feels like any mmo, you can pull huge packs and aoe them... for what its worth.

On a side note, Funcom has reacted to criticism from the community for the 1 character slot and everyone who played TSW will now receive 3 character slots in total for free. You can buy up to a maximum of 8 slots.

ok this is a good first step

edit: is it not live yet? because I still can only have one character

Mozendo

Same problem here.

TSW account login works fine. Using same user/pass on TSW: Legends doesn't work though.

Just wondering, did you make a TSW: Legends account?
I did.

Contact their twitter and ask them to manually send you a password reset link, seems like their password reset server is having issues.
Just did that and I can log in.

Also is there going to be a GAF guild? I wanna play wtih you broskies but I can't remember if guilds are limited to 1 faction

Stiler

Anyone else d/ling at a super super slow speed?

Have a 180mbps connection and I'm getting maybe 200kbs
(yes KB, not MB) download tops on the client.

Rhaknar

My 2 additional slots have appeared. Created my female character for clothing transfers. Then I booted up my old TSW character. I hate how I have him built. Magic is really nice in Legends.the only thing is all the funcom points I have , and random item bags and boosts...wish that was available to me.

Rhaknar

Yep, you do. Created another account to test it out.

k did it now, says it will take up to 10mins so ill check later I guess.

edit: got my 3 character slots now

but all the weapons are still locked so...yeah.

Scirrocco

I liked the first one well enough, but never had the time then. I'll give it a shot. Downloading now.

Now do i want to go back to the illuminati, or try out the templars?

Rhaknar

So chaos is mostly close range stuff?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Started playing, the combat definitely feels better and a bit faster, but maybe it's because i'm using a shotgun. Not a fan of buying AP/SP when the original game gave you freedom to do any build, now you are restricted to the loadout of your initial class decision until you have enough currency to buy the weapon skill.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Also is there going to be a GAF guild? I wanna play wtih you broskies but I can't remember if guilds are limited to 1 faction

That's what I'd like to know. Can't remember if it was faction restricted and I hope it isn't considering I'm rolling with the Templars. :lol

but all the weapons are still locked so...yeah.

I believe if you type /delivereditems, a menu will come up that will allow you to transfer your vanity items from your TSW account. This also unlocks all the weapons. Give it a try if you haven't already!

Rhaknar

I believe if you type /delivereditems, a menu will come up that will allow you to transfer your vanity items from your TSW account. This also unlocks all the weapons. Give it a try if you haven't already!

This is correct, I did it from the main menu. Does this work for any character or just the first.

Ive actually been playing a bit more, will have some more impressions I guess.

Mozendo

That's what I'd like to know. Can't remember if it was faction restricted and I hope it isn't considering I'm rolling with the Templars. :lol

I think it's faction restricted boo.

Also I went with blood magic + assault rifle, but I'm really not a fan of the new gimmicky weapon feature :V

Top Bottom